Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

Default PR: Boston's premier German Beer Fest to put Germany back on the Beer Map

Boston, MA - September 10, 2007 - In Germany, September 22 marks the
official opening of Oktoberfest in München -and grand celebration of
life with beer. Many in the US attempt to recreate this experience by
throwing massive festivals with the blind consumption of mass
quantities of beer, but the founders of BeerAdvocate aim to do
something different. Join them as they celebrate Germany's rich beer
culture by exploring a hand-picked selection of German ales & lagers
during Boston's first German Beer Fest!

"German beer tends to get a bad rap in the US. Outside of drinking the
occasional hefeweizen, Oktoberfest, or mass-marketed lager, the range
of German beer is often overlooked by consumers. It deserves more
attention and respect," said Todd Alström, co-founder of BeerAdvocate.

BeerAdvocate's German Beer Fest will feature over 100 different beers
from authentic German brewers and inspired American brewers, in
addition to 19 beers brands imported exclusively for the fest.
Attendees will enjoy a wide-range of styles, including Altbier, Gose,
Kölsch, Weizenbock, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Pilsener, Rauchbier,
Schwarzbier, and of course Oktoberfestbier, amongst others.

To round-off the beer education, author and German beer guru, Horst
Dornbusch will be moderating a discussion panel of industry experts
from Germany and the US, including Johannes Faust (Brauhaus Faust-
Miltenberger), Peter Schneider (Neumarkter Lammsbräu), Lars Dahlhaus
(Privatbrauerei Schwelm), Matthias Neidhart (B. United International),
folk from the Harpoon Brewery-brewers of Sticke Beer, the official
beer of the German Beer Fest-and others.

"Belgian beer is still very popular, extreme beer continues to rage on
as it creeps into the main stream of American craft beer, but
unfortunately German beer has taken a back seat for too long," added
brother and co-founder Jason Alström. "German Beer Fest will educate
and expose attendees to some great options and we pay a little homage
to centuries of German brewing tradition."

The first annual German Beer Fest is organized and hosted by
BeerAdvocate, sponsored by the Harpoon Brewery and Boston's Weekly
Dig, catered by the Sunset Grill & Tap and the Waffle Haus, and held
at The Cyclorama at The Boston Center for the Arts (539 Tremont
Street) on Saturday, September 22 during two-sessions; 1-4:30pm &
6-9:30pm. Tickets are available online or at select ticket outlets for
$40 per session; price includes a tasting cup, beer tastings, fest
guide, and plenty of education.

For more info and to buy tickets:

http://beeradvocate.com/fests/

A portion of the proceeds will benefit the National Parkinson
Foundation in tribute to the late Michael Jackson-the "Most
Influential Beer Writer on Earth"-who passed away on August 30th.

http://beeradvocate.com/news/1085295

About BeerAdvocate (BA)

Founded in 1996 by brothers Jason & Todd Alström, BeerAdvocate.com is
a global, grassroots network, powered by an independent community of
over 125,000 beer enthusiasts and industry professionals who are
dedicated to supporting and promoting beer. In December 2006,
BeerAdvocate magazine was launched and is the only monthly beer
magazine of its kind dedicated to advocating beer through a unique
exploration of beer style, culture, and respect.

http://beeradvocate.com

Respect Beer.

###

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 11, 5:08 pm, "
> wrote:

[snip self-aggrandizing tripe]

While I applaud the interesting styles presented (Goze, etc.) I think
it is the height of arrogance to claim that German beer needs any help
with its reputation from some beer-rating website.

_Randal

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On 9/13/2007 7:18 AM Randal didn't have much to say, yet wrote:

> On Sep 11, 5:08 pm, "
> > wrote:
>
> [snip self-aggrandizing tripe]
>
> While I applaud the interesting styles presented (Goze, etc.) I think
> it is the height of arrogance to claim that German beer needs any help
> with its reputation from some beer-rating website.

I have to admit, too, that somehow, it had clean slipped my mind that
Germany even needed to put back on any "beer map." Who knew? It seemed
as recent as last October that Germany was still pretty prominent there,
with all those breweries and beer and stuff. Did it disappear in the
last few months? If it did, well, I just hate it when a whole country
up 'n' disappears off the beer map like that.
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

"Randal" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Sep 11, 5:08 pm, "
> > wrote:
>
> [snip self-aggrandizing tripe]
>
> While I applaud the interesting styles presented (Goze, etc.) I think
> it is the height of arrogance to claim that German beer needs any help
> with its reputation from some beer-rating website.
>
> _Randal

I think German beer is wayyy under appreciated in the States and that's the
whole point of the post, isn't it?

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 11, 6:08 pm, "
> wrote:
> Boston, MA - September 10, 2007 - In Germany, September 22 marks the
> official opening of Oktoberfest in München -and grand celebration of
> life with beer. Many in the US attempt to recreate this experience by
> throwing massive festivals with the blind consumption of mass
> quantities of beer, but the founders of BeerAdvocate aim to do
> something different. Join them as they celebrate Germany's rich beer
> culture by exploring a hand-picked selection of German ales & lagers
> during Boston's first German Beer Fest!

I do appreciate your informative website and from what I've heard you
do promote some enjoyable beer festivals. However, it is safe to say
that german beer has not disappeared from the map. Indeed most of us
consider german brewers to be the cartographers for the beer making
business.

The subject line tone detracts from what is otherwise an interesting
post.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

John S. wrote:
> most of us
> consider german brewers to be the cartographers for the beer making
> business.

"Most"? When did "we" take that poll? <g>
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, wrote:
> John S. wrote:
> > most of us
> > consider german brewers to be the cartographers for the beer making
> > business.

> "Most"? When did "we" take that poll? <g>

I think that the centuries of german brewing history and standard
setting allows them to be considered cartographers, and I suspect that
most of us would agree. Present company excepted of course. Not to
say that brewers in other countries don't produce fine innovative
products because they clearly do. But the german brewing industry has
had such an impact on brewing practices for such a long time that they
clearly wrote the map.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On 17 Sep, 17:19, "John S." > wrote:
> On Sep 17, 12:10 pm, wrote:
>
> > John S. wrote:
> > > most of us
> > > consider german brewers to be the cartographers for the beer making
> > > business.

> > "Most"? When did "we" take that poll? <g>

> I think that the centuries of german brewing history and standard
> setting allows them to be considered cartographers, and I suspect that
> most of us would agree. Present company excepted of course. Not to
> say that brewers in other countries don't produce fine innovative
> products because they clearly do. But the german brewing industry has
> had such an impact on brewing practices for such a long time that they
> clearly wrote the map.

Well if the Germans are cartographers, the Egyptians must be the
creators of the papyrus paper that the map centuries later were to be
written on?

(I think the map analogy has plenty of life in it yet :~)

I actually think it's impossible to say which nation had more of an
impact on the 'beer map' - (leaving aside Mesopotamia, Sumeria, Egypt,
etc) there's Belgium, England, CzechRep, Germany, etc - they've all
had a huge impact on the progression of quality beer production, or on
the variety of styles, or on encouraging us to see beer as a thing to
be valued. I don't agree that Germany has any more right to the crown
than several others.
cheers
MikeMcG

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 17, 8:01 pm, MikeMcG > wrote:
> On 17 Sep, 17:19, "John S." > wrote:

> > > "Most"? When did "we" take that poll? <g>

> > I think that the centuries of german brewing history and standard
> > setting allows them to be considered cartographers, and I suspect that
> > most of us would agree. Present company excepted of course. Not to
> > say that brewers in other countries don't produce fine innovative
> > products because they clearly do. But the german brewing industry has
> > had such an impact on brewing practices for such a long time that they
> > clearly wrote the map.

> Well if the Germans are cartographers, the Egyptians must be the
> creators of the papyrus paper that the map centuries later were to be
> written on?
>
> (I think the map analogy has plenty of life in it yet :~)
>
> I actually think it's impossible to say which nation had more of an
> impact on the 'beer map' - (leaving aside Mesopotamia, Sumeria, Egypt,
> etc) there's Belgium, England, CzechRep, Germany, etc - they've all
> had a huge impact on the progression of quality beer production, or on
> the variety of styles, or on encouraging us to see beer as a thing to
> be valued. I don't agree that Germany has any more right to the crown
> than several others.
> cheers
> MikeMcG- Hide quoted text -

I actually agree that no one country wrote the map - many were
involved over a long time. I was trying to make a point about the
absurdity of the OP saying his beer fest would put Germany back on the
beer map.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

"John S." > wrote in message

> I was trying to make a point about the
> absurdity of the OP saying his beer fest would put Germany back on the
> beer map.

Right, that's like me buying a sixer of Heineken and calling it a Dutch Beer
Fest that'll put the Netherlands back on the beer map...

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

TechMyst wrote:
> "John S." > wrote in message
>
>> I was trying to make a point about the
>> absurdity of the OP saying his beer fest would put Germany back on the
>> beer map.

> Right, that's like me buying a sixer of Heineken and calling it a Dutch Beer
> Fest ...

You're comparing buying 1 six-pack of Heineken to "100 different beers
from authentic German brewers and inspired American brewers, in
addition to 19 beers brands imported exclusively for the fest.
Attendees will enjoy a wide-range of styles, including Altbier, Gose,
Kölsch, Weizenbock, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Pilsener, Rauchbier,
Schwarzbier, and of course Oktoberfestbier, amongst others." ?
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 23, 10:56 am, wrote:
> TechMyst wrote:
> > "John S." > wrote in message

> >> I was trying to make a point about the
> >> absurdity of the OP saying his beer fest would put Germany back on the
> >> beer map.

> > Right, that's like me buying a sixer of Heineken and calling it a Dutch Beer
> > Fest ...

> You're comparing buying 1 six-pack of Heineken to "100 different beers
> from authentic German brewers and inspired American brewers, in
> addition to 19 beers brands imported exclusively for the fest.
> Attendees will enjoy a wide-range of styles, including Altbier, Gose,
> Kölsch, Weizenbock, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Pilsener, Rauchbier,
> Schwarzbier, and of course Oktoberfestbier, amongst others." ?

Sounds like an enjoyable beer fest. However the results of such a
fest will neither put Authentic German and Inspired American brewers
on the map nor will it remove them. It will simply be an enjoyable
fest where a not large number of people will get together taste a few
brews and have a good time. But the impact it will have on the
visibility of beers from either country is immeasurably small.

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On Sep 11, 6:08 pm, "
> [...]
> guide, and plenty of education.
>
> For more info and to buy tickets:
>
> http://beeradvocate.com/fests/
>
> A portion of the proceeds will benefit the National Parkinson
> Foundation in tribute to the late Michael Jackson-the "Most
> Influential Beer Writer on Earth"-who passed away on August 30th.
>
> http://beeradvocate.com/news/1085295
>
> About BeerAdvocate (BA)
>
> Founded in 1996 by brothers Jason & Todd Alström, BeerAdvocate.com is
> a global, grassroots network, powered by an independent community of
> over 125,000 beer enthusiasts and industry professionals who are
> dedicated to supporting and promoting beer. In December 2006,
> BeerAdvocate magazine was launched and is the only monthly beer
> magazine of its kind dedicated to advocating beer through a unique
> exploration of beer style, culture, and respect.

Back? Beer and Germany go together always, nicht ferstein? Always on
that beer map. Blue

Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

On 9/28/2007 8:37 PM Blue ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

> nicht ferstein?

What's this mean?
--
dgs
Posted to rec.food.drink.beer,alt.beer

d.g.s. wrote:
> On 9/28/2007 8:37 PM Blue ignored two million years of human evolution
> to write:
>
>> nicht ferstein?

> What's this mean?

heheh... literally means 'not understand' [nicht verstehen].

that's right, germany and beer go together. impossible to think
otherwise. no need to put it back on any 'map'.

cheers [ <-- possibly Bamberg for x'mas & new year. jaaa...bitte!]