Xomicron

Default American beer compared to others

Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
European and Canadian counterparts?
dgs

Xomicron wrote:

> [troll]

Why are you such a tedious little troll?
--
dgs

John D

LOL!!!!!!!!! keep dreaming!!!!

"Xomicron" > wrote in message
> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
> European and Canadian counterparts?

Bill Becker

"dgs" > wrote in message
> Xomicron wrote:
>
> > [troll]

> Why are you such a tedious little troll?
> --
> dgs

Cuz he drinks mass produced US lager? I bet that if his taste in beer would
improve, his trolling ability would
see a marked improvement as well. lol

Best regards,
Bill

Jack Slopehead

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:48:23 -0600, "Bill Becker" >
wrote:

>"dgs" > wrote in message
>> Xomicron wrote:
>>
>> > [troll]

>> Why are you such a tedious little troll?
>> --
>> dgs
>>

>Cuz he drinks mass produced US lager? I bet that if his taste in beer would
>improve, his trolling ability would
>see a marked improvement as well. lol
>
>Best regards,
>Bill

****in coors drinkers!

Nemo l'Ancien

US beers...Beurkkkkkkkkk
Relaxification

Xomicron > wrote in message >...
> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
> European and Canadian counterparts?

Like what, for example?

While there is some tremendous beer produced in the US, in my opinion
none of it comes from the "mass producers." It's all small batch
microbrewery stuff, and it compares favorably with anything I've had
in Europe or elsewhere.

But the mass produced stuff here is like making love in a canoe.

Bear in mind this comes from Xomicron, a troll of the highest order.
Google him, he's a well known idiot. Nobody takes anything he says
seriously.
Jack Slopehead

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:23:05 +0200, Nemo l'Ancien
> wrote:

>US beers...Beurkkkkkkkkk

eat it frenchie.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.crafts.brewing Xomicron > wrote:
> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
> European and Canadian counterparts?

I don't think that it is. When I think better, I think better flavor.

For the style that American brewers (like Bud, Coors, Miller) try to
create, they are indeed the best in the world at it. But, if you are
trying to make an mass produced such as Becks, you might find that
American beer doesn't come close. I just depends upon exactly what
you are comparing (really need to compare within the same style).

But then, I go to post this message and I find you have cross-posted it
all over hell and are acting very trollish.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse

stephen

> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
> European and Canadian counterparts?

that's easy, it missing 3 things that obviously don't appeal to your
palate: flavour, body and alcohol.

mike

Jack Slopehead wrote in message ...
>On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:47:21 GMT, stephen > wrote:
>

>>> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than

it's
>>> European and Canadian counterparts?

>>that's easy, it missing 3 things that obviously don't appeal to your
>>palate: flavour, body and alcohol.

>mass produced world beers all are missing that. It's pure ignorance
>when people say it's just American beer. Other great examples of not
>so great "imports" include Molson (Canadians are boring is is their
>beer), Heine (skunks shit in this one) and of course Foster's (Aussie
>by name only, brewed in Canada and shipped south).

I can verify that. I'm an Aussie and never had a fosters. It's not because I
don't want to at least try it, but no pubs have it on tap! Not about to
waist money buying a carton. Pure marketing......

Steve Jackson

"Jack Slopehead" > wrote in message
news
> and of course Foster's (Aussie
> by name only, brewed in Canada and shipped south).

Foster's is an Aussie beer, albeit not a very popular one over there. The
stuff brewed for the US market is brewed in Canada, but there is such a
thing as Australian Foster's.

-STeve

stephen

Jack Slopehead wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:47:21 GMT, stephen > wrote:
>

>>>Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
>>>European and Canadian counterparts?

>>that's easy, it missing 3 things that obviously don't appeal to your
>>palate: flavour, body and alcohol.

ok i meant that as a trollish response to a troll post, but hey if you
want to argue otherwise...

> mass produced world beers all are missing that.

ah, they definitely aren't all mising the alcohol, and the ones with it
taste like rubbing alcohol (too much rice and sugar?). Of course that
is just the mass produced crap I bought at a grocer. I bought a random
selection of six packs one weekend in the states and some 40's ouch, the
only one I remeber was miller highlife because I drank that myself, i
didn't try to pawn it off on some poor unsuspecting person. Of course I
may have ended up with the equivalents of Lucky lager, Extra old stock
and wildcat.
>It's pure ignorance
> when people say it's just American beer.

No it's pure ignorance thinking that beer imported to the US are what
that counry drinks or is popular in that country. Have you ever been to
another country and just ordered what was on tap there or grabbed a case
of beer from the most stocked beer in another country? If not you don't
know.
It's even wrong to assume that american beer in another country is
the same as american beer (ie bud in canada is brewed by
labbats/interbrew, I have no idea how it tastes compared to american bud
since I haven't bought that, pretty similar to other labbats products
though, 5% alch, no preservatives, tastes like beer to some degree, but
definely no noticable hops). I'm prety sure coors light is the same, it
tastes like water yet smells like water gone bad.
>Other great examples of not
> so great "imports" include Molson (Canadians are boring is is their
> beer)

Molson what? molson makes lots of products. Saying molson is like me
saying I had an anheuser-busche.. its a company not a beer. The
"molson" I saw in washington state was a product not distributed in
canada, it was specifically marketed to the states, so it tastes like
american beer (or so I assume, I haven't tried it nor do I want to).
And if you think all canadian beer is boring (alright the mass produced
lagers are generally) try some "la fin du monde" from unibroue in
quebec. It means "the end of the world". It's good just don't drink
more than a couple of the 750 ml cahmpange corked bottles
http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

, Heine (skunks shit in this one)
Hmm and I thought that was malt, no commment I haven't had heinekin
since I was 16 and in france on a trip. It definely had more flavour
than american beers i've had.
>and of course Foster's (Aussie
> by name only, brewed in Canada and shipped south).

ah good example of a mass produced beer, an "aussie" beer, made in
canada and drank by neither. I think it's mass marketed not produced, I
have never seen anyone buy or drink that (yet i see comercials all the
time on american tv, go figure). I'd love to try a real aussie "working
man's" beer. Now there is Bushmans lager available here, which claims
to be ausie but how would I know. I'll stick to the local micro or a
tried and true import rather than risk it.

How about stella? That's a mass produced beer from europe, I find that
quite drinkable.

In my region of canada the highest selling beers are labbats blue,
kokanee, bud and molson canadian. All of which are damn bland, but are
all 5% alcohol and do taste more like beer than water (I can't say that
for mgd or coors etc).

From what i've seen of sales through tills though ( i do product
marketing in liquor stores) the most popular mass produced beer for the
upper middle class is sleemans honey brown (which is available across
canada). It's the same colour as newcastle, actually similar in flavour
too. They make other more interesting beers, but that's the one that is
stocked with the rest of the generics and sold on tap in restaurants and
pubs.
Slaughterhouse

When I was in the Canadian Armed Forces in the '80s I remember having
Fosters pushed on us at one of our government funded beer bashes. We had 9
kegs of the stuff and it was foamy and nasty, but by then I was so hosed I
was pouring rye on top of the beer to kill the foam. I thought Fosters was
pretty much an 80's one hit wonder, so I'm surprised to hear it's still
kicking around. Every liquor store I've been to in Alberta certainley does
not carry Fosters. As far as American beer was concerned, during the beer
strikes around the same time in the 80's, the liquor stores (when they were
still government owned) began importing Old Milwauke and it was dirt cheap,
so it was easy to get over the nasty flavour. In Alberta some of the most
popular beers are made locally by Big Rock Breweries and they are totally
awesome, with really good body.

stephen

> When I was in the Canadian Armed Forces in the '80s I remember having
> Fosters pushed on us at one of our government funded beer bashes. We had 9
> kegs of the stuff and it was foamy and nasty, but by then I was so hosed I
> was pouring rye on top of the beer to kill the foam. I thought Fosters was
> pretty much an 80's one hit wonder, so I'm surprised to hear it's still
> kicking around. Every liquor store I've been to in Alberta certainley does
> not carry Fosters. As far as American beer was concerned, during the beer
> strikes around the same time in the 80's, the liquor stores (when they were
> still government owned) began importing Old Milwauke and it was dirt cheap,
> so it was easy to get over the nasty flavour. In Alberta some of the most
> popular beers are made locally by Big Rock Breweries and they are totally
> awesome, with really good body.

I'm assuming in most places the best and most popular beers are the
local ones. Plus you should be supporting local brewers anyhow right?
I liked the big rock stuff I tried.

In victoria some of the most popular beers are from vic of course! Lots
of people drink Vancouver Island brewery stuff (i heard a good story
about when they got started they sold beer in pet bottles and had to
dispose of a bunch).. that was back in the 80's though and they are very
drinkable beers. http://www.vanislandbrewery.com/ If you are in the
area check them out, they do good tours. Of course there is also
lighthouse brewery (Mmm racerocks, beacan ipa and keepers stout), and
phillips (their phoenix is nice and hoppy and sold in stubbies) and Gulf
island brewing company.

And if you are going to do a brew tour there are plenty of brew pubs
that create some great beers. Personally I'd start at Spinakers
(http://www.spinnakers.com/) for dinner, then take a nice walk down to
swans (15 mins away i think http://www.swanshotel.com/pub.html) have a
taster set there (6 smaller glasses of the ones you want to sample at a
pretty decent price), maybe enjoy some live music (they often have live
jazz), then head down the street to the canoe club
(http://www.canoebrewpub.com/) maybe some more live music or just
lounging then by that that time i'd need a taxi (although it would only
be another 15 min stumble) down to Hugo's brewpub
(http://www.hugoslounge.com/) enjoy some more handcrafted beer and some
dancing.

Then the next day take the ferry to vancouver and do a tour there...
then maybe down to seattle the next day?

for some reason i'm super thirsty now.

Spanky

As an Aussie homebrewer I thought I'd put in my ten cents.

From my limited travelling experience I have noticed that Fosters seems to
be more heavily marketed overseas (particularly in Asian countries) than it
is here in Australia, the biggest exception to this would have to be the F1
Grand Prix, known as the Fosters Australian Grand Prix. At this event in
Melbourne, unless you are in a corporate box Fosters is the ONLY beer you
can buy (Fosters draught and Fosters Light) - **side note - I'm pretty sure
that fosters light is the same beer as fosters draught just with extra water
added after the fermentation**. Fosters is not a good beer but thier
marketing has been very successful, if you were to ask any Melbournite to
name A few brands of beer most of them would probably respond Victoria
Bitter (VB), Fosters and Carlton Draught. All of these beers are basically
the same, they are golden in colour, pour with a nice head but taste very
very plain, in other words they look good and taste ordinary.

The people who drink these beers (which covers most of the Melbourne beer
drinking population) as a general rule do not appreciate or savor the
flavor, they just drink them for the sake of drinking them - peer pressure;
again, this goes to show that the marketing is working. I suspect that this
is probably the case all over the world.

Some of my friends who still drink this stuff always complain to me that my
homebrew has a 'funny taste', when I explain to them that taste is hops and
that that is beer is supposed to be that way they usually go on drinking
thier VB or Carlton Draught and try to convince me that my beer is either
off or that 'it's just not beer'. That's fine by me, it leaves more
homebrew for those of us who enjoy it.

RedMan

In London on holiday from Australia, I was offered a beer - "I'll drink what
the locals drink" say I foolishly. I was brought a cool (not ice cold)
Fosters, which I had to politely force down, blaming jet lag.

"Alright, what does Grandad drink?" would have been a smarter response.

Make mine a Coopers (anything).

Red

Eric Berg

"Spanky" > wrote in message
u...
> As an Aussie homebrewer I thought I'd put in my ten cents.

> From my limited travelling experience

Get with the program, Bill. Seems as though the entire nation of Oz is
regularly on walkabout. <g>

I have noticed that Fosters seems to
> be more heavily marketed overseas (particularly in Asian countries) than

it
> is here in Australia, the biggest exception to this would have to be the

F1
> Grand Prix, known as the Fosters Australian Grand Prix. At this event in
> Melbourne, unless you are in a corporate box Fosters is the ONLY beer you
> can buy (Fosters draught and Fosters Light) - **side note - I'm pretty

sure
> that fosters light is the same beer as fosters draught just with extra

water
> added after the fermentation**. Fosters is not a good beer but thier
> marketing has been very successful, if you were to ask any Melbournite to
> name A few brands of beer most of them would probably respond Victoria
> Bitter (VB), Fosters and Carlton Draught. All of these beers are

basically
> the same, they are golden in colour, pour with a nice head but taste very
> very plain, in other words they look good and taste ordinary.

Heresy!
Actually, I'm in full agreement with you. I've had the good fortune of
visiting Oz a number of times, and I've noted the chauvinism with which many
Aussies regard their beers. ("Hey Yank, what do you think of our VB? Not
like those watery American beers!" Me: "Well mate, this VB is just
Australian Budweiser." Fight ensues.)

That said, I quite enjoy Cooper's Ales, Toohey's Old, and a micro from WA,
Little Creatures. Like in the States, you pay a hefty premium for quality.

I think many Aussies haven't had the opportunity to become aware (or sample)
the amazing variety of American beers available as a result of the microbrew
boom. American brewing is still viewed as the mass-marketed macroswill the
world has come to know and hate.

Interestingly, I've noted in some of Oz's more upscale/trendy areas
(Sydney's North beaches, Byron Bay, Noosa, etc.), wine has replaced beer as
the libation of choice for many. Of course, I think the average popularly
priced Australian wine is much superior to the average Oz beer.

> The people who drink these beers (which covers most of the Melbourne beer
> drinking population) as a general rule do not appreciate or savor the
> flavor, they just drink them for the sake of drinking them - peer
> pressure; again, this goes to show that the marketing is working. I
>suspect that this is probably the case all over the world.

Indeed.

> Some of my friends who still drink this stuff always complain to me that

my homebrew has a 'funny taste', when I explain to them that taste is hops
and that that is beer is supposed to be that way they usually go on drinking
> thier VB or Carlton Draught and try to convince me that my beer is either
> off or that 'it's just not beer'.

LOL. I find the same thing.
When some of my Bud/Miller/Coors dinking friends ask for a sample of one of
my "strange beers" (even something as benign as a pale ale), the response is
often "Man! That's got *alot* of taste!) Then, of course, they open another
macro.

> That's fine by me, it leaves more homebrew for those of us who enjoy it.

Cheers!

EFB

Theodore Kloba

Default BEER=CULTURE (was American beer compared to others)

Eric Berg wrote:
> LOL. I find the same thing.
> When some of my Bud/Miller/Coors dinking friends ask for a sample of one of
> my "strange beers" (even something as benign as a pale ale), the response is
> often "Man! That's got *alot* of taste!) Then, of course, they open another
> macro.

And no, it's not limited to beer... Not only do I drink "strange
beers," I listen to "strange music," read "strange books," watch
"strange movies." I guess you can't fault average people for being average.

--
Theodore M. Kloba *
http://www.geocities.com/heytud/

Oh, Guess

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:47:21 GMT, stephen > wrote:

>> [blah blah blah American beer blah blah]

>that's easy, it missing 3 things that obviously don't appeal to your
>palate: flavour, body and alcohol.

Alcohol isn't the prime determinant in assessing whether a beer will
be interesting. The majority of beers, whether mass-produced industro
swill lagers or craft ales, come in at around 5% abv or below. Some
of my favorite beers - British mild ales, for instance - are quite
low in alcohol, 4% abv or below, and can be superb. There are plenty
of crappy beers sold with elevated alcohol levels. Flavor and body
are different matters entirely.
--
Nobody You Know

Captain!

american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

Spanky

> american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

You know what **** tastes like???

RedMan

"Captain!" > wrote in message
> american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

Just curious, is the second comment from experience? I mean I've tried
Budweiser, so I agree with the first comment.

Red

Richard J

"Spanky" > wrote in message
u...
> > american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

> You know what **** tastes like???

Sure he does. He drinks Canadian Whiskey.

Teflon

stephen

>>american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

> You know what **** tastes like???

reminds me oth the joke/saying: "oh you want some american beer? Let me
finish a pitcher of this and i'll make you some."

Considering the olfactory sense is a part of taste though, and that
particals have to enter your nose and go past you soft palate when you
are inhaling , you've pretty much tasted **** if you've smelled it.

I still laugh everytime i hear someway say something tastes like shit
though..

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.crafts.brewing Richard J > wrote:

> Sure he does. He drinks Canadian Whiskey.
>
> Teflon

So cool.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.crafts.brewing stephen > wrote:

> reminds me oth the joke/saying: "oh you want some american beer? Let me
> finish a pitcher of this and i'll make you some."
>
> Considering the olfactory sense is a part of taste though, and that
> particals have to enter your nose and go past you soft palate when you
> are inhaling , you've pretty much tasted **** if you've smelled it.
>
> I still laugh everytime i hear someway say something tastes like shit
> though..

So cool.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.crafts.brewing RedMan > wrote:

> Just curious, is the second comment from experience? I mean I've tried
> Budweiser, so I agree with the first comment.
>
> Red

Again, so cool.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.crafts.brewing Captain! > wrote:
> american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

Very cool.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill Benzel

stephen ) wrote:
: >
: reminds me oth the joke/saying: "oh you want some american beer? Let me
: finish a pitcher of this and i'll make you some."
:

About 6 weeks ago I had the honor of stewarding the World Beer Cup. One
of the judges at the table I was working was from Miller. We had prepped
the table with bread, crackers and two pitchers of tap water. Right
before the session began she asked me if we had any bottled water so I
said, "Sure, which kind do you want, Miller Light or MGD?" It got a luagh
-- I went and found her a couple of big bottles of spring water.

Turns out she is responsible for product consistency and has a rather
amazing palate. Listening to her contribute to that judging session was
an eye-opener for me -- there is a lot going on in the lighter flavored
beers that my own senses are blind to. I guess I have a very subdued
sense of taste and smell so I like over the top, ultra hoppy or ultra
malty (or both) beers and very heavily seasoned food.

I wonder, though, what the original poster meant by "weak." If it's a
reference to alcohol content I'd suggest finding a bottle of Dogfish Head
World Wide Stout. It's an American Beer, isn't it?

--
Bill

reply to sirwill1 AT same domain as above

Nicola Marzolino

Well, yes, it is weak but I like Sam Adams and as for ****...I feel sorry
for you if you know what it tastes like. Would you care to share with us how
you know what **** tastes like? Something in your childhood, perhaps?

Ciao, tschuess, salut, adios, bye

"Captain!" > wrote in message
> american beer is weak and tastes like ****.

Xomicron

"Captain!" > wrote in

> american beer ... tastes like ****.

How do you know this?
Captain!

"Xomicron" > wrote in message
> "Captain!" > wrote in
>
> > american beer ... tastes like ****.

> How do you know this?

i didn't write that. i love sam adams beer. miller is ok.
bud is **** though.

Brian Moore Fan

That is funny. Perhaps the most absurd thing I have ever read.

"Xomicron" > wrote in message
> Why is mass produced American lager generally much, much better than it's
> European and Canadian counterparts?

Marko

We Canadians used to call American beer ****water because to get
anything out of it you had to drink so much you spent the night at the
urinal

Do you know that American beer companies invented the Cold beer, because
cold drinks hide the fact that they are tasteless, so they could make
cheaper beere and get away with it. I learned that from "the beer guy",
ten 1/2 hour shows on PBS way back, any beer drinker could enjoy those
shows if they play them again.

--
Marko Jotic
"Common sense is anything but common".

Ioannis wrote:

> Xomicron wrote:
>

>>Canadians think they are superior to Americans. The rational basis for
>>this is unknown.

> Canadians ARE American, Yankee.

Ridiculous! I was in a Canadian supermarket one time looking for
"American Cheese" and all they had were packages of "Canadian Cheese"
(whatever THAT is) and their milk came in plastic bags that lay flat on
the shelf- I want my milk standing up, strong and tall, like a soldier!

Oh, yeah, they also measure alcohol by volume, instead of weight! How
foolish! How many times have you handed a bottle of beer to a friend and
said, "Hey, feel this? How much alcohol to you think this has?"

Lew Bryson

> Ioannis wrote:
>
> > Xomicron wrote:
> >

> >>Canadians think they are superior to Americans. The rational basis for
> >>this is unknown.

> > Canadians ARE American, Yankee.

I hate it when Canadians say this shit. CALL them Americans, and they ****
themselves with outrage. But refer to yourself as an American, and all of a
sudden they're overcome with continental pride and you're not allowed to use
that name because it's THEIRS!!! Hey, Joe. You are Canadian. It's a
perfectly good label. Keep it. We're using American. Chill, fergodssake, I
mean, you're good at that, right?

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson

> Ioannis wrote:
>
> > Xomicron wrote:
> >

> >>Canadians think they are superior to Americans. The rational basis for
> >>this is unknown.

> > Canadians ARE American, Yankee.

I hate it when Canadians say this shit. CALL them Americans, and they ****
themselves with outrage. But refer to yourself as an American, and all of a
sudden they're overcome with continental pride and you're not allowed to use
that name because it's THEIRS!!! Hey, Joe. You are Canadian. It's a
perfectly good label. Keep it. We're using American. Chill, fergodssake, I
mean, you're good at that, right?

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Lew Bryson

> Ioannis wrote:
>
> > Xomicron wrote:
> >

> >>Canadians think they are superior to Americans. The rational basis for
> >>this is unknown.

> > Canadians ARE American, Yankee.

I hate it when Canadians say this shit. CALL them Americans, and they ****
themselves with outrage. But refer to yourself as an American, and all of a
sudden they're overcome with continental pride and you're not allowed to use
that name because it's THEIRS!!! Hey, Joe. You are Canadian. It's a
perfectly good label. Keep it. We're using American. Chill, fergodssake, I
mean, you're good at that, right?

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

kodok

Ioannis a écrit:
> Xomicron wrote:
>
>>Canadians think they are superior to Americans. The rational basis for
>>this is unknown.

> Canadians ARE American, Yankee.

American beer has no more hops than a dead frog ...
Does that include all Americanos del Norte ?
Kodok