mary

Default Another Brew Pub Closes in Pittsburgh

Valhalla brew pub closed this weekend. Poor business climate was cited. A
new convention center was justed opened down the street,but it seems as if
the "strip" district of Pittsburgh is not doing so well.

Tom

Lew Bryson

"mary" > wrote in message
> Valhalla brew pub closed this weekend. Poor business climate was cited. A
> new convention center was justed opened down the street,but it seems as if
> the "strip" district of Pittsburgh is not doing so well.

Yeah, a damned shame, good beer there, and a different atmo/look than many
brewpubs; I hate losing variety in pubs as well as beer. Did find out one
interesting thing today: the Foundry's system is going to Selin's Grove, so
they'll be putting out more of their absolutely fabulous beers. Silver
lining, eh?

--
Lew Bryson

www.LewBryson.com
Author of "New York Breweries" and "Pennsylvania Breweries," 2nd ed., both
available at <www.amazon.com>
The Hotmail address on this post is for newsgroups only: I don't check it,
or respond to it. Spam away.

Filip Geerts

> > Valhalla brew pub closed this weekend. Poor business climate was cited.

> > new convention center was justed opened down the street,but it seems as

if
> > the "strip" district of Pittsburgh is not doing so well.

> Yeah, a damned shame, good beer there, and a different atmo/look than many
> brewpubs; I hate losing variety in pubs as well as beer. Did find out one
> interesting thing today: the Foundry's system is going to Selin's Grove,

so
> they'll be putting out more of their absolutely fabulous beers. Silver
> lining, eh?

The same over here in Brugge Belgium.
Brewpub De Brugse Bierkaai (http://www.debrugsebierkaai.com/) has closed
also due to banckruptcy ??
De Brugse Bierkaai owned by bry Sterkens.
Just after this disaster news I read that bry Sterkens just started a brew
plant in USA:
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/09/29/He...ry_count.shtml
Isn't that strange folks ????
Cheers,

--
\\//
(oo)

Garry Simmons

"mary" > wrote in message
> Valhalla brew pub closed this weekend. Poor business climate was cited. A
> new convention center was justed opened down the street,but it seems as if
> the "strip" district of Pittsburgh is not doing so well.

Well that sucks. I used to enjoy going there for dinner. Can't say I was
knocked out by the "regular" beers, but the specialty / seasonal brews were
usually pretty good. Jeez we're down to Penn Brewing and Church Brewworks in
town with John Harvards (very good IMO) in Monroeville and Red Star in
Greensburg (OK). Oh yeah, there's a Rock Bottom near town too.

Garry

dgs

Garry Simmons wrote:

> "mary" > wrote in message
>
>>Valhalla brew pub closed this weekend. Poor business climate was cited. A
>>new convention center was justed opened down the street,but it seems as if
>>the "strip" district of Pittsburgh is not doing so well.

> Well that sucks. I used to enjoy going there for dinner. Can't say I was
> knocked out by the "regular" beers, but the specialty / seasonal brews were
> usually pretty good. Jeez we're down to Penn Brewing and Church Brewworks [...]

Be happy. At least Church Brewworks will be bottling their beers, so
if you like 'em, they'll be more easily found. Otherwise, times are
tough everywhere. A favorite Seattle watering hole in trendy Belltown,
just north of downtown Seattle, has shut down due to lease renewal
issues. It'll be replaced by some trendoid joint, and will give the
likes of me one less reason to go to that part of town. C'est la vie.
--
DGS

Douglas W. Hoyt

(http://www.debrugsebierkaai.com/) has closed
> also due to banckruptcy ?? > De Brugse Bierkaai owned by bry Sterkens.

Just after this disaster news I read that bry Sterkens just started a brew
plant in USA:

I was over there a two plus summers back, and (sadly) it was, frankly,
uncomfortable. Everything looked orderly and fine, but the bar was laid out
in a long row of polished chairs. It just didn't feel nice or enjoyable.
Compared to the other beer meccas in Brugge, it was odd and sterile. I got
out of there after one compulsory draft. If you go to Brugge, you want
ancient wood and rotting beams and creaking floorboards and murmuring
multitudes and buzz and detail--you don't want something that pristine.
Oh--and the beer? I don't remember it.

Cold brew tea as nutrional as hot brew? [email protected] General Cooking 5 02-08-2008 05:18 AM
Cold brew tea as nutrional as hot brew? [email protected] Tea 0 31-07-2008 04:34 PM
Caffiene in tea - Long brew vs. Short brew Linda Tea 11 27-02-2006 01:47 PM
GAN EDEN closes Craig Winchell Wine 9 08-03-2005 02:32 AM
New Brew Pub In Pittsburgh Area mary Beer 2 09-04-2004 12:22 AM