Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Chicken fried steak in Austin area

My wife and I are traveling to the Austin and areas west next week to
visit family, and although we have barbecue menu planned, we are
looking for a place where we might find a good chicken fried steak. We
are not restricted to Austin, and open to places west as far as San
Angelo, as thats where we will eventually end up, well not quite that
far, but close enough.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Almost all resturants in Texas serve CFS. It's just cubesteak that's
been dipped in egg wash and breadcrunbs and fried in oil.
BTW the worse a place looks, the better the BBQ or CFS.

wrote:

> My wife and I are traveling to the Austin and areas west next week to
> visit family, and although we have barbecue menu planned, we are
> looking for a place where we might find a good chicken fried steak. We
> are not restricted to Austin, and open to places west as far as San
> Angelo, as thats where we will eventually end up, well not quite that
> far, but close enough.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Although I grew up in Texas, I've never been a huge CFS fan. But, I do get
cravings every once in a while. I've heard great things about the CFS at
The Broken Spoke on S. Lamar- I've been there to hear music, but haven't
eaten there. I thought the Threadgills version was only slightly above
average.

http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.ph...article&sid=65

> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
alg alg is offline

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 17 Jul 2006 11:31:19 -0700, wrote:
>
>> My wife and I are traveling to the Austin and areas west next week to
>> visit family, and although we have barbecue menu planned, we are
>> looking for a place where we might find a good chicken fried steak. We
>> are not restricted to Austin, and open to places west as far as San
>> Angelo, as thats where we will eventually end up, well not quite that
>> far, but close enough.

> This just appeared on austin.food:

http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.ph...article&sid=65

> -sw

Have to agree with the reviewer. It reminds me that almost everything in
Austin so-so, but consistently over-hyped. My favorite CFS/CFC, heretofore,
has been Hickory Hollow in Houston. Has anyone else tried them? BBQ
doesn't suck, either.

http://www.hickoryhollowrestaurant.com/

Chicken Fried Steak Platters
with Salad Bar & Fries or Salad Bar & Mashed Potatoes &
"River Bottom Gravy". Add $1.80 to substitute a Baked Potato.
RANCHER'S MEAL
"Large" Chicken Fried - "Bigger 'n Saddle Blanket" $10.95
HIRED HAND'S MEAL
"Medium" Chicken Fried - "Big enuf fer a Texan" $8.95
PLOWMAN'S MEAL
"Small" Chicken Fried -"Jest right fer Lunch" $6.95
COWGIRL'S MEAL
"Small" Chicken Fried with Salad Bar & Baked Potato -
"Jest right fer you Gals" $8.7