Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Apple wood for smoking, but... crabapple???

A friend of mine is trimming a crab apple tree way back and knew I was
looking for wood for my smoker, and has a bunch saved up letting it dry. Is
this good wood to use? Or is there something about the crab apple wood that
I shouldn't use it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> A friend of mine is trimming a crab apple tree way back and knew I was
> looking for wood for my smoker, and has a bunch saved up letting it dry. Is
> this good wood to use? Or is there something about the crab apple wood that
> I shouldn't use it?

When I first got my smoker I used some green crabapple wood. I used way
too much of it, too. It was OK on shoulders, not so much on ribs. If
someone else has had good results with it, I'm willing to try it
again...but seasoned and a lot less smoke. ;-)

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> A friend of mine is trimming a crab apple tree way back and knew I
> was looking for wood for my smoker, and has a bunch saved up letting
> it dry. Is this good wood to use? Or is there something about the
> crab apple wood that I shouldn't use it?

I've used seasoned crabapple, it's fine.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I save all trimmings from the crabapple trees in my yard
and use them for smoking (dried, not green).

Works great for me.