Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood for smoking

Has anyone used mahagony for smoking? Is it ok for smoking?

The city where I live is cutting down some nice looking mahagonys to
make way for a 'new landscaping plan'.

Can I use some of the branches and other scraps for smoking?

--
WCHettel
Davie, FL
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> Has anyone used mahagony for smoking? Is it ok for smoking?
>
> The city where I live is cutting down some nice looking mahagonys to
> make way for a 'new landscaping plan'.
>
> Can I use some of the branches and other scraps for smoking?

too oily. it even stinks if you burn it in a bonfire

Get some, season it and do some small woodworking projects with it

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

had a relative that accidentally walked by a buring pile of the two, got in
the smoke it almost killed him, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> Billy > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Omelet > wrote:

>> > I'd pick up scraps for art projects, but I'd not cook with it:
>> >
>> > <http://www.mnwoodturners.com/New_Member_Docs/Toxic_Woods_Chart.html>

>> Damn, I wonder if barrel workers know about this. The ones I've met are
>> mostly Mexicans. At least were not using redwood tanks any more, jeez.
>> --
>> - Billy

> I used to know a guy that did a lot of woodwork. He introduced me to
> this concept. Ever since then, I check lists prior to doing any smoking
> with new woods. His primary concern tho' was inhalation of wood dust.
>
> Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Billy > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Omelet > wrote:

> > > I'd pick up scraps for art projects, but I'd not cook with it:
> > >
> > > <http://www.mnwoodturners.com/New_Member_Docs/Toxic_Woods_Chart.html>

> > Damn, I wonder if barrel workers know about this. The ones I've met are
> > mostly Mexicans. At least we're not using redwood tanks any more, jeez.
> > --
> > - Billy

> I used to know a guy that did a lot of woodwork. He introduced me to
> this concept. Ever since then, I check lists prior to doing any smoking
> with new woods. His primary concern tho' was inhalation of wood dust.

It's odd though. I've seen wood shop in HS and I've never seen a mask.

> Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

I suspect that becomes obvious REALLY fast. I used to be immune to
poison oak, but I still treat it carefully, and don't push my luck.
--
- Billy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

Thanks for the idea, Om. Added a new paragraph!

The Kill Zone (do not read if you're squeamish)

Simple. Coiled razor wire fences at northern and southern borders with
appropriate warning signs. Thirty feet inside border, a similar fence, with
guard stations at appropriate intervals. Kill zone lighted. Snipers and
machine gunners in guard stations. Anyone in the Kill Zone gets killed.
Period. Anyone! Man, woman or child. Bodies are left for the local critters
and as a further warning to those who may think to follow. Leaving a few
wounded to crawl back to from whence they came might be good, too.

Planting Non-Climbing Poison-Ivy (Toxicodendron rydbergii) in the Kill Zone
might help, too! [Mexican - yiedra maligna?]

Next.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> > idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

> Thanks for the idea, Om. Added a new paragraph!
>
> The Kill Zone (do not read if you're squeamish)
>
> Simple. Coiled razor wire fences at northern and southern borders with
> appropriate warning signs. Thirty feet inside border, a similar fence, with
> guard stations at appropriate intervals. Kill zone lighted. Snipers and
> machine gunners in guard stations. Anyone in the Kill Zone gets killed.
> Period. Anyone! Man, woman or child. Bodies are left for the local critters
> and as a further warning to those who may think to follow. Leaving a few
> wounded to crawl back to from whence they came might be good, too.
>
> Planting Non-Climbing Poison-Ivy (Toxicodendron rydbergii) in the Kill Zone
> might help, too! [Mexican - yiedra maligna?]
>
> Next.

Did I miss something Nick? You having PTSD flashbacks, or somethin'?
Leave "Kill Zones" to the civilians that direct traffic. Soldiers are
only required to follow orders. We don't want to end up with more
Hadithas.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_killings>
<http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1711761,00.html>

The only red splatter that I want to see is BBQ sauce ;O)
--
- Billy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> > idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

> had a relative that accidentally walked by a buring pile of the two, got in
> the smoke it almost killed him, Lee

I can imagine...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Billy > wrote:

> > I used to know a guy that did a lot of woodwork. He introduced me to
> > this concept. Ever since then, I check lists prior to doing any smoking
> > with new woods. His primary concern tho' was inhalation of wood dust.

> It's odd though. I've seen wood shop in HS and I've never seen a mask.

That does not mean it's not a bad idea.
I've corresponded with a few egg carvers on internet lists that also
regretted their non-use of masks.

Some of the woodcarvers may not have survived to post.

> > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> > idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

> I suspect that becomes obvious REALLY fast. I used to be immune to
> poison oak, but I still treat it carefully, and don't push my luck.
> --
> - Billy

I am also immune to dermal attacks of such, but would never risk
inhaling it.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very bad
> > idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

> Thanks for the idea, Om. Added a new paragraph!
>
> The Kill Zone (do not read if you're squeamish)
>
> Simple. Coiled razor wire fences at northern and southern borders with
> appropriate warning signs. Thirty feet inside border, a similar fence, with
> guard stations at appropriate intervals. Kill zone lighted. Snipers and
> machine gunners in guard stations. Anyone in the Kill Zone gets killed.
> Period. Anyone! Man, woman or child. Bodies are left for the local critters
> and as a further warning to those who may think to follow. Leaving a few
> wounded to crawl back to from whence they came might be good, too.
>
> Planting Non-Climbing Poison-Ivy (Toxicodendron rydbergii) in the Kill Zone
> might help, too! [Mexican - yiedra maligna?]
>
> Next.

<lol> Clever idea... and it's a native plant so would require minimum
watering!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

it still makes my skin crawl just thinking about it, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very
>> > bad
>> > idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

>> had a relative that accidentally walked by a buring pile of the two, got
>> in
>> the smoke it almost killed him, Lee

> I can imagine...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food
> groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood for smoking (Now OT?)

Omelet > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > Omelet > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > Did you know that burning poison oak and poison ivy was a very, very
> > > bad idea? It should be bagged and sent to the landfill.

> > Thanks for the idea, Om. Added a new paragraph!
> >
> > The Kill Zone (do not read if you're squeamish)
> > []
> > Planting Non-Climbing Poison-Ivy (Toxicodendron rydbergii) in the Kill
> > Zone might help, too! [Mexican - yiedra maligna?]

> <lol> Clever idea... and it's a native plant so would require minimum
> watering!

Watering? Blood is an excellent fertilizer (and deters aphids). Urine is
also an excellent fertilizer <hint hint>.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Wood for smoking/BBQ Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 58 25-08-2009 12:08 PM
Smoking with apricot wood? Wiblur the Once Barbecue 3 07-06-2005 02:28 AM
Where to buy wood for smoking? [email protected] Barbecue 3 05-06-2005 01:12 AM
Wood for smoking. RW Barbecue 4 13-09-2004 09:51 AM
Wood forTurkey Smoking K Hannan Barbecue 9 29-11-2003 08:16 PM