RW

Default Wood for smoking.

I came across this newsgroup while looking for the answer to a question I
have.
Does anybody know what is done to hardwoods like hickory or mesquite to make
them suitable for use in smoking? Not charcoal just the wood chips. Great
group by the way.

Wayne in Phoenix

Edwin Pawlowski

"RW" > wrote in message

> Does anybody know what is done to hardwoods like hickory or mesquite to
> make them suitable for use in smoking?

Nothing. You just cut it and use it. I cut mine up on the bandsaw. I also
removed the bark, but others don't.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"RW" > wrote in message

> Does anybody know what is done to hardwoods like hickory or mesquite to
> make them suitable for use in smoking?

Nothing. You just cut it and use it. I cut mine up on the bandsaw. I also
removed the bark, but others don't.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Graeme...in London

"BubbaBob" > wrote in message
0...
> "RW" > wrote:
>
> > I came across this newsgroup while looking for the answer to a
> > question I
> > have.
> > Does anybody know what is done to hardwoods like hickory or
> > mesquite to make them suitable for use in smoking? Not charcoal
> > just the wood chips. Great group by the way.
> >
> > Wayne in Phoenix
> >

> 1. Cut them down
> 2. Let them dry out.

Wayne,

Your question asked about wood chips. As above, except ask a tree-surgeon or
gardening contractor to run your off-cuts through a chipping machine. You
may have to cut the wood into a more manageable size, as I think that some
wood-chippers have a maximum diameter that it can accept without clogging
the blades.

This is common practice in the UK, with the chips being used in gardens and
for paths etc, and I doubt that a local contractor would even bother to
charge.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

0...