Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Marinading Baby Backs?

Mornin' - I was surfing thru some recent postings, and wandered across a
reference to marinading baby backs. I've never done that before, relying on
a combination of rub and/or sauce. I've got some ribs waiting on the holiday
weekend, and thought I might give it a shot. Just curious of some thoughts
and suggestions.....
- Who's in favor of marinades for baby backs? Good idea/bad idea?
- What are you using for a marinade, how long?
- Is it in addition to a rub or replacing the rub?
Thanks,
Jerry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

1) Remove inner membrane
2) Soak 'em (submerged in a BIG pot) Rootbeer & Orange Soda overnight.
3) Dry them off and rub with your choice of DRY rub.
4) Place in the cooker of choice (mine is a Kamado #7)
5) Add wood chips of choice (I like Apple, Pear & Pecan)
6) Light and maintain 250° for 4 hours.
7) Remove and cut apart into 3 rib sections.
8) Make a dipping sauce of choice (too many to list here)
9) Eat and sleep well!

Try that and report back!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> Mornin' - I was surfing thru some recent postings, and wandered across a
> reference to marinading baby backs. I've never done that before, relying
> on a combination of rub and/or sauce. I've got some ribs waiting on the
> holiday weekend, and thought I might give it a shot. Just curious of some
> thoughts and suggestions.....
> - Who's in favor of marinades for baby backs? Good idea/bad idea?
> - What are you using for a marinade, how long?
> - Is it in addition to a rub or replacing the rub?
> Thanks,
> Jerry

I have done this a # of times, using 1-2oz salt and 2oz sugar per quart of
water and adding whatever seasonings you choose, and brining overnight. It's
probably a good idea to remove the connective tissue membrane when doing
this, as you might ordinarily do with the dry rub on baby backs.
If anything it salts and seasons the ribs, probably not doing much more than
you can attain with the dry rub. The moistness a brine adds to fowl, etc.
does not alter the baby back that much. A baby back grilled at 250F for a
longer time retains its moist succulent taste pretty m;uch the same without
brining.
Kent

Freezing baby backs? Bo Hica Barbecue 4 22-10-2006 10:19 PM
Baby Backs, 6 rax mtbchip Barbecue 0 03-12-2004 05:41 AM
Baby Backs $2.88 a pound! Bo Hica Barbecue 1 19-06-2004 03:43 PM
Another pork cut like baby backs? John Crankshaw Barbecue 38 18-05-2004 04:16 AM