Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default thinking of "investing" in a ceramic BBQ?? :o)

for those of you considering "investing" in a ceramic bbq, check out the
following link...

http://tinyurl.com/fmggy

here's a chance for those Kamado Co. faithful to support their fearless
leader...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:41:32 -0400, porkchopbbq wrote:
>
>> for those of you considering "investing" in a ceramic bbq, check out the
>> following link...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/fmggy
>>
>> here's a chance for those Kamado Co. faithful to support their fearless
>> leader...

> ŽIf you are not 100% satisfied you will receive all your money
> back!¡ I have been saying this from day one in business or
> especially on our website and God forbid if I ever refused. I
> can just imagine the forum(s).¡
>
> [Assuming this is real...]
>
> I said it before, and I'll say it again. Richard Johnson is an
> asshole.
>
> [Whether it's real or not]
>
> -sw

Wow, sw and I actually agree upon something.

Hilarious auction, btw.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:41:32 -0400, porkchopbbq wrote:
>
>> for those of you considering "investing" in a ceramic bbq, check out the
>> following link...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/fmggy
>>
>> here's a chance for those Kamado Co. faithful to support their fearless
>> leader...

> ŽIf you are not 100% satisfied you will receive all your money
> back!¡ I have been saying this from day one in business or
> especially on our website and God forbid if I ever refused. I
> can just imagine the forum(s).¡
>
> [Assuming this is real...]
>
> I said it before, and I'll say it again. Richard Johnson is an
> asshole.
>
> [Whether it's real or not]
>
> -sw

Wow, sw and I actually agree upon something.

Hilarious auction, btw.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default thinking of

This Ebay add is posted from the guy who invested 50K with Richard to be
the companies Atlanta distribution center.
After he paid the $$, he never recieved his inventory..
Yes, Steve your right on the money..
Richard is a total asshole.. He fcuked over lots of people in Indonesia
also.. this whole Atlanta story is posted on the Komodo Kamado forum in
detail..
;-)
Dr D

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

HandHewn wrote:

> Richard is a total asshole.. He fcuked over lots of people in
> Indonesia also.. this whole Atlanta story is posted on the Komodo
> Kamado forum in detail..

From what I understand, that's how the Komodo/Kamado folks got the Kamado
molds. They went into the Indonesian factory and re-vamped the operation
after cleaning up Richard's mess.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Dave Bugg wrote:

> From what I understand, that's how the Komodo/Kamado folks got the Kamado
> molds. They went into the Indonesian factory and re-vamped the operation
> after cleaning up Richard's mess.

That's not my understanding from what I've read.. I gather that when Richard
had the partnership going over there, that the site manager basically kiped
the design and started selling knock-offs that were cheaper in quality (and
frequently exploded on their buyers back patios) and then those buyers
contacted Richard to get replacements even though he didn't sell or make
them.. That is the reason that Richard terminated that partnership (if
that's a proper name for it). No, I'm not standing up for Richard, but
just telling you all the info I've read from various sources.

As usual -- YMMV..

Personally -- if KomadoKamado is still making these things, I'd certainly
not buy them for any reason -- mostly for fear of them exploding in my
backyard.. There are a lot of companies that make these things and I
doubt all of them are perfect companies as they all seem to have stolen
the designs from one central place -- even BGE's design was snitched/copied
from what I gather.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

while there are 2 sides to any story, consider the following:

1) the original post concerned a stock offering from a former US
partner/distributor in GA; he has his own story.

2) i've yet to hear the "exploding kamado" story in the first person, or
seen any pics, etc. seems to me, if that happened in MY backyard, i'd
have taken some pics, gotten a police report, etc. this story is always
related as a "did you hear about..." so, consider the source.

3) available on www.komodokamado.com/forum site is a MSDS (material safety
data sheet) outlining the tolerances of the refractory materials used in
the KomodoKamado. no asbestos, no explosives... try finding the same
info concerning the materials Richard uses, and you'll have no luck. is
that because it's so super secret, or because it's nothing more than an
aggregate material composed mainly of Rutland cement? safe? sure.
leading edge of ceramic technology? hardly.

i am planning on purchasing a KomodoKamado within the month; i have zero
concerns on the safety of the materials used, or the level of CUSTOMER
SERVICE, or the trustworthiness of the owner. i currently own one of
Richard Johnson's kamado cookers, and it works as advertized, with some
caveats concerning durability. i have found his lifetime warranty to be
empty however. given my personal experiences with his company, i am
reluctant to give his side of any dispute much weight.

and as far and intellectual "theft" or "copying" goes, what about the
whole "build a better mousetrap" concept? KomodoKamado has made some
really nice improvements on the design that more than distinguishes it
from the mexi-kamado.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"porkchopbbq" > wrote in message
> 2) i've yet to hear the "exploding kamado" story in the first person, or
> seen any pics, etc. seems to me, if that happened in MY backyard, i'd
> have taken some pics, gotten a police report, etc. this story is always
> related as a "did you hear about..." so, consider the source.
>
> 3) available on www.komodokamado.com/forum site is a MSDS (material safety
> data sheet) outlining the tolerances of the refractory materials used in
> the KomodoKamado. no asbestos, no explosives... try finding the same
> info concerning the materials Richard uses, and you'll have no luck.

Not every product requires an MSDS sheet so not would be posted by Kamado.
Just as if you buy a toaster, there is none.

Explosions in ceramics do not require an explosive at all. It is cause by
poor handling of the clay, air or gas inclusions and a lot of heat. Ask any
ceramist and they have probably had a piece blow up on them at one time.
Why would you file a police report for a defective product? If your
computer crashes, you don't call the police.

Have they actually exploded? I have no idea, nor do I care, but facts if
facts and it is not caused by bombs, just poor quality.
Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Not every product requires an MSDS sheet so not would be posted by Kamado.
Just as if you buy a toaster, there is none."
******
you're totally right. i didn't say that it was. my point; allegations as
to the content of the KomodoKamado construction materials were being made
without basis in fact. KomodoKamado then posted the data sheets to
reassure customers that the materials didn't include asbestos, as some
were trying to claim. richard has no obligation to follow suit. i guess
my point there is that i know a bit more about what i'm getting with
KomodoKamado.
******
"Why would you file a police report for a defective product? If your
computer crashes, you don't call the police"
******
are you trying to compare a high temperature explosion, scattering
shrapnel over someone's back yard, to a computer malfunction? come on!
ok, just for the sake of argument, i'll point out what should be obvious;
a computer crash doesn't endanger others. an explosion does. if that
happened to me, my neighbors would probably beat me to the phone.

additionally, the very fact that i would hope to prove to the manufacturer
that his product exploded in my backyard would prompt me to attempt to get
an official report of some kind from police or fire department.
******
"but facts if facts and it is not caused by bombs, just poor quality."
******
fine, given, air bubbles cause explosions in ceramics. but, facts being
facts (like whether or not a company sells explosive cookers) should be
backed up by evidence; first-person accounts, photos, official reports,
witnesses, etc.

back to "considering the source", my only source for this tall-tale is the
richard's website. i do not hold his word in high regard. my basis for
this relies on numerous first-person complaints, against him and his
company, specifically regarding his trust-worthiness.

as i've said before, his (what i suspect to be) cement cookers work as
advertised, certain caveats considered. in other words, i trust my kamado
more than i do the manufacturer.