Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Rotisserie Turkey on an infra red gas grill

Hi,

I've googled the archives and haven't quite found the answer. After
years of trusty service I have retired my Weber. This year I have a
shiny 48" GE Monogram grill with infra red rotisserie burners. For a
15-16 lb turkey I am assuming about 11 minutes per pound (like on the
Weber), but at what setting on the infra red burner?

I've done chickens on about 75% power, but I think with the larger mass
of a tukey I need to tone it down. Any real world experience out there?

Oh yeas, it will be brined and the cavity will have a few aromatics in
it as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've googled the archives and haven't quite found the answer. After
> years of trusty service I have retired my Weber. This year I have a
> shiny 48" GE Monogram grill with infra red rotisserie burners. For a
> 15-16 lb turkey I am assuming about 11 minutes per pound (like on the
> Weber), but at what setting on the infra red burner?
>
> I've done chickens on about 75% power, but I think with the larger mass
> of a tukey I need to tone it down. Any real world experience out there?

Never did one that big. For a 10 pound, I just let it rip on high. I do
most everything on high on mine but YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Hayden

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've googled the archives and haven't quite found the answer. After
> years of trusty service I have retired my Weber. This year I have a
> shiny 48" GE Monogram grill with infra red rotisserie burners. For a
> 15-16 lb turkey I am assuming about 11 minutes per pound (like on the
> Weber), but at what setting on the infra red burner?
>
> I've done chickens on about 75% power, but I think with the larger mass
> of a tukey I need to tone it down. Any real world experience out there?
>
> Oh yeas, it will be brined and the cavity will have a few aromatics in
> it as well.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!

mmmm, an IR rotis that doesn't have just one setting? I'm jealous!

I'd go high for an hour to get a decent sear and then relatively low to let
it cook through. I'm not a time guy...but a temp one. At least 155 in the
thigh, however long it takes and then let it sit 20 minutes or so when done.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Cam

Bob Hayden wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've googled the archives and haven't quite found the answer. After
> > years of trusty service I have retired my Weber. This year I have a
> > shiny 48" GE Monogram grill with infra red rotisserie burners. For a
> > 15-16 lb turkey I am assuming about 11 minutes per pound (like on the
> > Weber), but at what setting on the infra red burner?
> >
> > I've done chickens on about 75% power, but I think with the larger mass
> > of a tukey I need to tone it down. Any real world experience out there?
> >
> > Oh yeas, it will be brined and the cavity will have a few aromatics in
> > it as well.
> >
> > Happy Thanksgiving!
> >

> mmmm, an IR rotis that doesn't have just one setting? I'm jealous!
>
> I'd go high for an hour to get a decent sear and then relatively low to let
> it cook through. I'm not a time guy...but a temp one. At least 155 in the
> thigh, however long it takes and then let it sit 20 minutes or so when done.

I've got a Vermont Castings grill with a rotisserie burner at the back.
I' haven't done a turkey but I've roasted a 10 pound capon. I turned it
down to less than half power. I figured I needed to cook it slower to
let it heat more evenly given it's mass and also that a bigger bird
will be closer to the burner. However you set your burner I agree that
you should cook to temp, not time.

Cam