Wantthatthing

Default Need turkey rotisserie oven help

I just bought one of those large Ronco Showtime rotisserie ovens (my regular
oven's on the blink, what a thing to happen right before Thanksgiving!).

Has anyone here cooked a turkey in one of these things (or even the Foreman,
which seems similar)? I bought a smallish turkey (11 1/2 lbs) and I'm not sure
it will fit, even though the instructions say up to 15 lb. Do you need to trim
it? What about seasonings on the skin, will they burn? If you rub it with
butter/oil or will that cause it to smoke? (I always basted my oven turkey with
butter/broth). Any hints on how to skewer or tie this thing properly?
And, most importantly, what's the recommended cooking time for the turkey
straight out of the refrigirator (no room temp stuff for me). I have several
meat thermometers, including the one that came with the rotisserie, but if I
keep poking it during cooking all the juices will run out. I need to know
what's the best cooking time per pound (instructions say 12 to 15 minutes,
which for my 11 1/2 pounder would be 2 hours18 minutes to 2 hours 52 minutes).
I don't want to cut into it only to find it raw. Does rotisserie cooking evenly
cook the turkey? Help! Any help is much appreciated.
gardenia

I cooked a turkey in mine a few years ago. Didn't do anything different
than I do with chickens. It was done in about 2.5-3 hours. I didn't baste
it but I did put a little water in the drip pan. Great for gravy..