Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jason Tinling

Default Dallas BBQ

In Dallas last week for work, made as much of the Q scene as I could
(which was woefully little). Had a chance to eat at Smokey John's BBQ
(Mockingbird Ln) and Dickeys (Industry and Mockingbird)

Smokey John's - Planned to eat there Wednesday night, only to discover
their hours were 11 am - 4 pm during the week. Made a return trip on
Thursday for lunch. Got the two-meat plate, which comes with two sides
and your choice of toast/cornbread muffin. Got brisket and sausage,
with green beans and collard greens as the sides. Sauce on the side,
natch

Sausage was wonderful, nice and peppery with a good smoke flavor.
Sides were also tasty, though the beans were overcooked. Brisket was
good (although I hadn't had good brisket in almost a year at this
point). Dried out quickly on the plate (it was cut from a small end
that had probably been out a while), and was cut a bit too thick for
its level of tenderness. Still, it was smoked brisket, and I was
loving it. Cornbread was good, but not great. Total was around $11-12
for food and drink.

Dickey's - Open for breaskfast and lunch, I swung by just before noon
on Saturday. The interior looked a little "chain-y" and I have to
admit, I was a bit worried. Once the cashier at the other end of the
line started "conversing" with the patron in front of me, an obvious
regular, I got a little more at ease. Ordered the two meat plate,
brisket and hot links, sauce on the side. Two meat plate comes with
two sides and toast. I got mac and cheese and BBQ beans. A bowl of
banana pudding to finish the meal.

Hot links were very disappointing, very little pepper and no spiciness.
The sauce was peppier than the links. They did make a areasonable
transport vehicle for the sauce, though. Both sides were excellent,
and the beans were top notch. No overly sweetened, brown sugar and
ketchup sauce beans, these. Savory, tender, and just a bit spicy, they
were excellent. No burnt ends, but hey, you can't have everything!

The brisket...ahhh, the brisket. Put poor Smokey John's to shame. The
first piece I picked off the plate was an odd-ball piece, sorta
prism-shaped, from the lower part of the brisket. And it melted away
in my mouth like good brisket should. Even the thickest part of the
slice yielded easily and tastily. Truly, a thing of beauty.

The banana pudding was nothing special, Jello pudding in a cup. It was
a nice touch that they wrapped the pudding in saran, placed nilla
wafers on top of the saran, and then wrapped again, thus preventing the
lamentable Soggy Wafer Syndrome (SWS). Total damage about $14 with the
pudding. They do offer free soft serve if you want to save a couple of
bucks on dessert :-)

Jason

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
dwãçôn

Try Sonny Cobb's downtown.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
DKM

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In Dallas last week for work, made as much of the Q scene as I could
> (which was woefully little). Had a chance to eat at Smokey John's BBQ
> (Mockingbird Ln) and Dickeys (Industry and Mockingbird)

Next time try Baker's Ribs. They are one of my favorites.

DKM

Three Days in Dallas Ed Rasimus Wine 11 18-07-2011 08:21 PM
Dallas, TX BBQ piedmont Barbecue 16 16-01-2011 07:31 AM
Dallas Car Finance Loan – Offers Car Loans for the People living in Dallas CarDollarForall General Cooking 0 15-08-2008 07:56 AM
BBQ in Dallas, TX Paul Brent Barbecue 5 26-02-2005 07:13 AM
Dallas Emil Luca General Cooking 6 06-05-2004 08:56 PM