Emil Luca

Default Dallas

My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to know
where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants that have good
food and not too expensive.

jmcquown

Emil Luca wrote:
> My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to
> know where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants
> that have good food and not too expensive.

I was just in that area in March. There are many excellent "non-corporate"
(if by that you mean not chain) restaurants in Addison, which just north of
Dallas proper over towards Plano. However, most of the places we dined were
rather pricy (by choice).

The Sea Grill was excellent and might be considered moderately priced. The
corn-crab chowder needed a little salt, easy enough to correct by yourself.
The Chilean sea bass with mango chutney on a bed of quinoa pilaf was very
good. http://www.seagrill.com/

Lucky's, which is sort of a sports bar located in a strip-mall off Frankford
Rd. has a separate dining area from where the bar is and also a patio. They
served an excellent breakfast and the lunch items looked good, too. Not
expensive and very good service.

Just a short walk down the strip is Oliver's Eatery, which served a
fantastic mushroom/swiss burger and freshly made hand-cut fries. More food
than we could eat for the price. It's a self-serve place; you place your
order and they give you a gadget to let you know when to pick up your food
and drinks; fine for lunch. Also a patio area out front.

India Palace - the food was excellent and not expensive at all. I can't
comment on the actual restaurant atmosphere since we had the food delivered.
Here's a link: http://www.indiapalacedallas.com/services.htm

Jill

modom

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:23:15 -0500, "Emil Luca"
> wrote:

>My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to know
>where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants that have good
>food and not too expensive.

Try:
http://www.guidelive.com/section/restaurants/

modom
Cookie Cutter

There is a usenet group called dfw.eats that you can subscribe to if you
want some interactive discussion of restaurants in that area.

dfw = Dallas Fort Worth

Cookie

Emil Luca wrote:

> My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to know
> where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants that have good
> food and not too expensive.

Victor Sack

Emil Luca > wrote:

> My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to know
> where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants that have good
> food and not too expensive.

I was there recently and can tell you about the following places.

_York Street_. A little restaurant run by Sharon Hage, who is sometimes
called the Dallas counterpart to Alice Waters. Wonderful roast chicken
and a great poached duck egg.

_The Lonesome Dove_ in Fort Worth. Everything is great - there is
probably no better place in Texas.

_Chamberlain's Steakhouse_. Steaks are outstanding - you probably won't
find anything better from corn-fed beasts. Appetizers are good, but
nothing special, as are their other offerings.

_Love & War in Texas_ in Plano. Very good steaks. Also great onion
rings with ranch sauce spiked with cayenne.

_Quan Kien Giang_ a Vietnamese place in Garland. Wonderful, spicy ech
xao sa ot, frog legs fried with chile peppers and lemon grass. Also a
very good fish curry. Their canh chua, sour-spicy-sweet fish soup, was
much too sweet and not enough sour and spicy, though.

_Akbar_, an Indian Place in Plano. Murg Mirch Masala, a very spicy
chicken curry, was wonderful. The appetizers and tandoori dishes are
unremarkable.

_Jörg's Cafe Vienna_ in Plano is a nice Austrian place serving mostly
German food. The sausages are good, as is the chicken (sic) schnitzel
with paprika cream sauce.

_Taqueria La Paloma_ in Plano is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place which
is as authentic as they get. Hardly anyone speaks English. On
weekends, they serve utterly wonderful, spicy menudo which is mercifully
made without hominy (which should outlawed as unfit for human
consumption). The menudo is utterly addictive and I'm consequently
utterly miserable now... Their tacos are good, too, particularly the
buche (pig stomach) ones.

_For You_, a Polish place in Plano, serves very nice pickle soup on
Thursdays.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Greenville Ave. branch of Nuevo
Leon: the food ranges from barely edible to nauseating.

Victor

alzelt

Victor Sack wrote:

> Emil Luca > wrote:
>

>>My wife is going to a Kodak conference in June and I would like to know
>>where to eat. I am looking for the non corporate restaurants that have good
>>food and not too expensive.

> I was there recently and can tell you about the following places.
>
> _York Street_. A little restaurant run by Sharon Hage, who is sometimes
> called the Dallas counterpart to Alice Waters. Wonderful roast chicken
> and a great poached duck egg.
>
> _The Lonesome Dove_ in Fort Worth. Everything is great - there is
> probably no better place in Texas.
>
> _Chamberlain's Steakhouse_. Steaks are outstanding - you probably won't
> find anything better from corn-fed beasts. Appetizers are good, but
> nothing special, as are their other offerings.
>
> _Love & War in Texas_ in Plano. Very good steaks. Also great onion
> rings with ranch sauce spiked with cayenne.
>
> _
> Victor

Hey Victor,

Sounds like you got yourself caught up on having some good steaks. Some
things are better on this side of the pond.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Victor Sack

alzelt > wrote:

> Hey Victor,
>
> Sounds like you got yourself caught up on having some good steaks. Some
> things are better on this side of the pond.

They'd be even better if they came from grass-fed beef. :-) I actually
had a steak just twice in the Dallas area this time, plus another one at
Dave Ross's Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder, which would have long become my
regular place of pilgrimage if I lived anywhere nearby.

Victor

Three Days in Dallas Ed Rasimus Wine 11 18-07-2011 08:21 PM
Dallas, TX BBQ piedmont Barbecue 16 16-01-2011 07:31 AM
Dallas Car Finance Loan – Offers Car Loans for the People living in Dallas CarDollarForall General Cooking 0 15-08-2008 07:56 AM
Dallas BBQ Jason Tinling Barbecue 2 19-11-2005 03:49 AM
BBQ in Dallas, TX Paul Brent Barbecue 5 26-02-2005 07:13 AM