Bob Muncie

Default REQ: Lump location just north of Detroit

BBQ Masters - I hope someone lives in the Detriot are that has a bead on a
quality lump purchase location. Specifically, I am having problems locating
lump at all, the walmarts, home depots, etc., seem to have only the standard
charcoal from what I can find. My specific area is Auburn Hills, MI.

Can anyone point me the way to some good lump in the area? I want to start
on the path to good BBQ, and understand from what I've read here that lump
is a requirement :-)

I have an ECB water smoker to trial on (a gift from my spouse that I haven't
un-boxed yet), and plan to do the mods for airflow, ability to lift the
barrel off the lump to replenish, and will use sand and the minion
method.... (thanks for edumacating me on some of the hard basics prior to my
efforts!)

But a good source for the lump woould be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Bob (BBQ novice want-a-be)

Brick

On 12-Jul-2005, "Anon" > wrote:

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> > BBQ Masters - I hope someone lives in the Detriot are that has a bead on
> > quality lump purchase location. Specifically, I am having problems

> locating
> > lump at all, the walmarts, home depots, etc., seem to have only the

> standard
> > charcoal from what I can find. My specific area is Auburn Hills, MI.

> I'm not from the Detroit area (well, I was, but that was nearly 30 years
> ago - I am going back to visit relatives this weekend, but I digress), so
> can't give you specific advice. But I'll give you some general advice
> that
> might help. Approach the problem from the restaurant supply angle. Check
> the yellow pages for charcoal. Check the yellow pages for restaurant
> supply. Call any local BBQ joint and ask them where they buy their lump.
> Someone's selling to the restaurants. They might sell to you. That's how
> get mine here in Minnesota.
>
> Also, I've read here that True Value hardware stores (or was it Ace?) have
> lump charcoal in the dealer's catalog and if you ask your local store they
> will order it.

My local 'Ace' has some lump on the shelf right now, but they have it priced
like jewelry.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

John O

> But a good source for the lump woould be extremely helpful.

Try a Gordon's Food Service. They have 20 lb bags of Royal Oak lump for less
than $10.

-John O
left coast of MI

Jimbo

Try Wal mart . in garden dept.
They have Royal Oak Lump here in Destin FL.

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> BBQ Masters - I hope someone lives in the Detriot are that has a bead on a
> quality lump purchase location. Specifically, I am having problems
> locating lump at all, the walmarts, home depots, etc., seem to have only
> the standard charcoal from what I can find. My specific area is Auburn
> Hills, MI.
>
> Can anyone point me the way to some good lump in the area? I want to start
> on the path to good BBQ, and understand from what I've read here that lump
> is a requirement :-)
>
> I have an ECB water smoker to trial on (a gift from my spouse that I
> haven't un-boxed yet), and plan to do the mods for airflow, ability to
> lift the barrel off the lump to replenish, and will use sand and the
> minion method.... (thanks for edumacating me on some of the hard basics
> prior to my efforts!)
>
> But a good source for the lump woould be extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob (BBQ novice want-a-be)

Default User

Bob Muncie wrote:
> BBQ Masters - I hope someone lives in the Detriot are that has a bead on a
> quality lump purchase location. Specifically, I am having problems locating
> lump at all, the walmarts, home depots, etc., seem to have only the standard
> charcoal from what I can find. My specific area is Auburn Hills, MI.

Doitbest hardware carries Royal Oak:

Royal Oak Natural (Lump) Charcoal
All natural hardwood lump charcoal. 20 lb. bag.

Product

20LB LUMP CHARCOAL
Royal Oak Model: 22818
Do it Best SKU: 800279

You can go to their website (http://doitbest.com) and plug in your zip
to find out if there is a store near you. If they don't have it in
stock, they might order it for you. The web site doesn't list the price
because it isn't something they sell over the internet, just from
stores.

Brian

frohe

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Can anyone point me the way to some good lump in the area? I want to
> start on the path to good BBQ, and understand from what I've read
> here that lump is a requirement :-)

http://doitbest.com/shop/locator.asp...QGNS61DH05 W6

Do it Best carries Royal Oak. There is a store in Detroit. Use the
link above.

--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Bob Muncie

Gang - Just wanted to say thanks for the responses you posted. I have
checked several ACE stores, and they had regular royal oak charcoal. The "DO
IT Best" and Walmarts near me also seem to only stock regular charcoal..
same with the local Costcos.. But there is a GFS store a few miles away from
my work, and I plan to check them out next Monday (my fingers are crossed).

Just wanted to post a "thanks for your input" response before waiting too
long. And I do appreciate it.. If GFS does not stock lump, I will start
surveying other resturant service companies...

Again Thanks!

Bob

"Anon" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> BBQ Masters - I hope someone lives in the Detriot are that has a bead on
>> quality lump purchase location. Specifically, I am having problems

> locating
>> lump at all, the walmarts, home depots, etc., seem to have only the

> standard
>> charcoal from what I can find. My specific area is Auburn Hills, MI.

> I'm not from the Detroit area (well, I was, but that was nearly 30 years
> ago - I am going back to visit relatives this weekend, but I digress), so
> can't give you specific advice. But I'll give you some general advice
> that
> might help. Approach the problem from the restaurant supply angle. Check
> the yellow pages for charcoal. Check the yellow pages for restaurant
> supply. Call any local BBQ joint and ask them where they buy their lump.
> Someone's selling to the restaurants. They might sell to you. That's how
> get mine here in Minnesota.
>
> Also, I've read here that True Value hardware stores (or was it Ace?) have
> lump charcoal in the dealer's catalog and if you ask your local store they
> will order it.

jesskidden

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Gang - Just wanted to say thanks for the responses you posted. I have
> checked several ACE stores, and they had regular royal oak charcoal. The "DO
> IT Best" >snip< near me also seem to only stock regular charcoal..

SPEAK UP! The only way these sort of independently-owned stores are
gonna survive is by personal service and *some* of them, at least, know
it. Ask a manager if they can order you some lump (go armed with the
info on brand, number, etc., from the website of their franchised brand)
and they'll often gladly do it. Just be sure to go back and buy it.
Often you'll find that they continue to order it and it becomes standard
inventory for them.

I also find Royal Oak at local Agway's and if they're out of it, they
order it for me and it shows up in less than a week.

A friend who transferred out to Ohio (just south of Detroit) finds Black
Canyon (out of Illinois) lump all over (altho' he did have me buy 40
pounds of Royal Oak for him when he came back for vacation). Their site
notes it's sold at ACE, MEIJER (maybe just the briquets, tho') and
ANDERSON's. http://www.bigbriq.com/lump/