ceed

Default Smoked cod?

Hi,

I picked up some salted cod I found at the store the other day. On the
(wooden!) boxes it came in it says I should soak it for 24 hours in water
in the fridge which I have done. I am pondering if I should cook Bacalao
(which is great with this kind of fish) or if it would be possible to
smoke it? Does anyone know if you can smoke cod with good results in a
Brinkman vertical? If so, how long would it take?

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Jack Schidt®

"ceed"
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message newsp.ssvh6rur21xk10@dellbob...
> Hi,
>
> I picked up some salted cod I found at the store the other day. On the
> (wooden!) boxes it came in it says I should soak it for 24 hours in water
> in the fridge which I have done. I am pondering if I should cook Bacalao
> (which is great with this kind of fish) or if it would be possible to
> smoke it? Does anyone know if you can smoke cod with good results in a
> Brinkman vertical? If so, how long would it take?

You're talking Bacalao and yes, you can smoke it, but you can easily
oversmoke it too. I'd let the smoke die down to almost invisible and then
lightly smoke the filets for a half hour or so. I think it's best to put it
on while you're smoking other meat and the initial fanfare of smoke has died
down. It's very good this way and goes well with potatoes.

Jack

My family and I went to Florida when I was 16, and we went deep-sea
fishing. I caught the biggest cod on the boat (At least that's how I
remember it!). My uncle had a vertical smoker (I don't remember many
details about the smoker, or how he smoked it), and he smoked the cod
in it. It was awesome- the best fish I'd ever had to that date, or have
had since!

Jim

ceed

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:33:42 -0500, > wrote:

> My family and I went to Florida when I was 16, and we went deep-sea
> fishing. I caught the biggest cod on the boat (At least that's how I
> remember it!). My uncle had a vertical smoker (I don't remember many
> details about the smoker, or how he smoked it), and he smoked the cod
> in it. It was awesome- the best fish I'd ever had to that date, or have
> had since!

I grew up on cod and other fish. Being a Norwegian made cod something we
ate two three times a week. Now I live in Texas and I do not know the fish
around here too well. I remember my grandfather smoked mackerel over birch
which turned out delicious. However, we never smoked cod. The only smoked
fish we normally purchased was smoked haddock which still is one of my
favorite dishes. Maybe I shouldn't mention that whale was on our menu as
well? I am probably one of the few that has had grilled whale steak for
dinner. That was cheap meat over there back in the 60s.

Smoked the salted cod today. It turned out great.

--
//ceed ©¿©¬

>Maybe I shouldn't mention that whale was on our menu as well? I am probably one of >the few that has had grilled whale steak

Why not mention it? Screw being "PC"!! How'd it taste? Was it smoked?
Now there's a project for David Klose- a smoker big enough to smoke a
whole whale in!

Jim

ceed

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:03:09 -0500, > wrote:

> Why not mention it? Screw being "PC"!! How'd it taste? Was it smoked?
> Now there's a project for David Klose- a smoker big enough to smoke a
> whole whale in!

You know, I have met people here in the US who get offended because I ate
whale in the 60s. Whale was poor people steak back then.However, if it was
fresh and well prepared it was very good. I never had it smoked but rather
grilled like you would do a steak. It has a slightly tangy taste to it and
a whiff of the ocean somwhere buried in the overall flavor. It would
probably take a little getting used to for the average meat lover. The
most common dish was simply "hvalbiff" which in English simply becomes
"whalebeef". It was serverd with sauteed onions, boiled potatoes and a
brown gravy even if you actually cooked the meat itself on a charcoal
grill. Often you used bacon around the steaks to keep them juicy.

Norway is still doing minor whaling on certain kind of whale. Sometimes
you may be able to purchase meat over there. This is a link to a recipe
for grilled whale (sorry, it's in Norwegian). Click on "Film 3" (Movie 3)
and see grilling of whale.

http://www.hvalbiff.no/oppskrift_info.asp?fldr=51

Would love to try some in my smoker! So much for being PC...

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
ceed

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:11:41 -0500, ceed
wrote:

> Norway is still doing minor whaling on certain kind of whale. Sometimes
> you may be able to purchase meat over there. This is a link to arecipe
> for grilled whale (sorry, it's in Norwegian). Click on "Film 3" (Movie
> 3) and see grilling of whale.
> http://www.hvalbiff.no/oppskrift_info.asp?fldr=51

Sorry, the link was wrong. Try this one:

http://www.hvalbiff.no/hovedside.asp?fldr=1&id=0

--
//ceed ©¿©¬
Pete C.

ceed wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:03:09 -0500, > wrote:
>
> > Why not mention it? Screw being "PC"!! How'd it taste? Was it smoked?
> > Now there's a project for David Klose- a smoker big enough to smoke a
> > whole whale in!

> You know, I have met people here in the US who get offended because I ate
> whale in the 60s. Whale was poor people steak back then.However, if it was
> fresh and well prepared it was very good. I never had it smoked but rather
> grilled like you would do a steak. It has a slightly tangy taste to it and
> a whiff of the ocean somwhere buried in the overall flavor. It would
> probably take a little getting used to for the average meat lover. The
> most common dish was simply "hvalbiff" which in English simply becomes
> "whalebeef". It was serverd with sauteed onions, boiled potatoes and a
> brown gravy even if you actually cooked the meat itself on a charcoal
> grill. Often you used bacon around the steaks to keep them juicy.
>
> Norway is still doing minor whaling on certain kind of whale. Sometimes
> you may be able to purchase meat over there. This is a link to a recipe
> for grilled whale (sorry, it's in Norwegian). Click on "Film 3" (Movie 3)
> and see grilling of whale.
>
> http://www.hvalbiff.no/oppskrift_info.asp?fldr=51
>
> Would love to try some in my smoker! So much for being PC...
>
> --
> //ceed ©¿©¬

There are unfortunately a lot of ignorant f's around that get offended
at just about anything they don't understand.

My philosophy is pretty simple - "Kill it and eat it".

Pete C.
just joe

< Use habañeros.

there is not tilde in habaneros.

joe
petersburg (picky picky picky) alaska

Buck Turgidson

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> My philosophy is pretty simple - "Kill it and eat it".

Even if it's the last one on earth?

--
Dep

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." --David Mamet
--------
"Truth is just truth. You can't have opinions about truth."--Peter Schickele

smoked eel J&J General Cooking 5 17-12-2012 04:05 PM
Smoked Eel Questions Sushi 36 04-02-2005 11:09 PM
OT- smoked eel Musashi Sushi 5 22-04-2004 07:48 PM
Could this be smoked? Graeme... in London Barbecue 4 27-11-2003 09:58 PM
Smoked salmon: croft smoked. Oz General Cooking 3 24-10-2003 08:03 AM