J&J J&J is offline
Member

Default smoked eel

Does anyone know where one might be able to purchase fresh smoked eel on Long Island or New York City
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-16 18:54:42 +0000, J&J said:

> Does anyone know where one might be able to purchase fresh smoked eel on
> Long Island or New York City

And in this context your concern is that the eel not be frozen prior to
being smoked?

Looking at this:

http://tinyurl.com/bnx4m8v

I find this:

Fisherman Alex Villani, who fishes off the coast of Mattituck, Long
Island, has some good news about local fish: "The stocks have never
been better. Every year is better and better. This year, for the first
time in the United States, there's not one species of fish that's
over-fished." That's good news for New Yorkers who like meaty local
fish like bluefish, monkfish and eel. Villani and his wife, Stephanie,
own Blue Moon Fish and are well-known at Union Square, Grand Army Plaza
and Tribeca greenmarkets in the city. They've been selling smoked local
fish since 1995 when Alex built their first smoker out of an old
refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:54:42 +0000, J&J
> wrote:

>Does anyone know where one might be able to purchase fresh smoked eel on
>Long Island or New York City

There is no such thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2012 6:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:54:42 +0000, J&J
> > wrote:
>

>> Does anyone know where one might be able to purchase fresh smoked eel on
>> Long Island or New York City

> There is no such thing.

Of course! If it's smoked, it's not "fresh"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-12-17, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Of course! If it's smoked, it's not "fresh"

Reminds me of the time when I went to the sprmkt to get in on the
fresh shrimp sale and discovered the shrimp were all cooked. When I
complained to the mgr about it and attempted to define "fresh" he
immediately came back with "what about fresh baked bread?".
Apparently, I'd not been the first customer to complain, that day.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Of course! If it's smoked, it's not "fresh"

Have you never eaten old smoked fish? Smoked fish is best the day
it's smoked, smoked fish doesn't age well. And naturally one should
smoke only the freshest fish, not woofy fish.

Smoked cod? ceed Barbecue 9 01-07-2005 10:39 PM
Smoked Eel Questions Sushi 36 04-02-2005 11:09 PM
OT- smoked eel Musashi Sushi 5 22-04-2004 07:48 PM
Could this be smoked? Graeme... in London Barbecue 4 27-11-2003 09:58 PM
Smoked salmon: croft smoked. Oz General Cooking 3 24-10-2003 08:03 AM