TT

Default WSM: Filling Water Pan with Sand

I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil. This
sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there downsides?

1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature down
to 250ish?

2) Will it be necessary to mop?

Thanks,
Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"TT" <.> wrote in message ...
>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil. This
>sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there downsides?

> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature
> down to 250ish?

No, it may even be easier.

> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?

It is never necessary to mop. Waste of time, IMO.

Steve Calvin

TT wrote:

> I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil. This
> sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there downsides?

No.

> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature down
> to 250ish?

No.

> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

No.

Try it, you'll like it. ;-)

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
TT

I just set up my WSM with sand (after 4 years of using water) and tomorrow I
will give it a try when I do a 4 lb brisket.

Speaking of 4 lb briskets, I am envious of the people who have been debating
Walmart vs local butchers when here in the DC area we have (AFIK) no good
sources of packer cut briskets at reasonable prices. Sometimes I can snag
7lb'er but that is the exception and more often than not briskets in this
area are trimmed to the point of having no visible fat cap. $3-$4/lb is the
norm.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "TT" <.> wrote in message ...
>>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil.
>>This sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there
>>downsides?

>> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature
>> down to 250ish?

> No, it may even be easier.
>

>> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?

> It is never necessary to mop. Waste of time, IMO.

F.G. Whitfurrows

TT wrote:

> Speaking of 4 lb briskets, I am envious of the people who have been
> debating Walmart vs local butchers when here in the DC area we have
> (AFIK) no good sources of packer cut briskets at reasonable prices.
> Sometimes I can snag 7lb'er but that is the exception and more often
> than not briskets in this area are trimmed to the point of having no
> visible fat cap. $3-$4/lb is the norm.

At those sizes and those prices I say to hell with brisket. I'd be eatin'
butts and spares and never eating brisket. But thats just me.

Poor fella. I feel for ya. Stuff gets spendy here too. I haven't cooked a
brisket in a long long time.

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer accepted in lieu of cash payment.

CSS

"TT" <.> wrote in message ...
>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil. This
>sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there downsides?
>
> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature
> down to 250ish?
>
> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

You will find that the temperature of the WSM is much more stable using sand
than with using water in the pan. That said, it also changes much more
slowly too. You may need to adjust your operating technique to compensate
for the increased mass. With water, I used to let my WSM go above 250
before throwing the food on, it would then drop to 250. With sand, if it
goes above 250, it takes a long time to come back down. So now my technique
is to bring the temp up to 200 or so, throw on the food, and let it rise
slowly without overshooting 225-250 or so.

The food I've cooked seems no different to me using sand than using water.
The convenience, however, is great-- no refills on long cooks, no messy
water to dispose of (cover the sand with two layers of *foil* and then throw
the top layer away after the cook- instant cleanup.

If you really want no-hassle long cooks, use the Minion method with sand in
the pan and a Pitminder controller. I've done 18-20 hour cooks with this
setup and literally not had to do a thing but eat when the food was done.

Now, isn't someone gonna tell the OP he shoulda bought a Klamado?

TT

Cleanup is a major motivating factor. I really appreciate the comments about
thermal mass and will adjust my procedures accordingly.

What is a Pitminder controller?

"CSS" > wrote in message

> "TT" <.> wrote in message ...
>>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil.
>>This sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there
>>downsides?
>>
>> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature
>> down to 250ish?
>>
>> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom

> You will find that the temperature of the WSM is much more stable using
> sand than with using water in the pan. That said, it also changes much
> more slowly too. You may need to adjust your operating technique to
> compensate for the increased mass. With water, I used to let my WSM go
> above 250 before throwing the food on, it would then drop to 250. With
> sand, if it goes above 250, it takes a long time to come back down. So
> now my technique is to bring the temp up to 200 or so, throw on the food,
> and let it rise slowly without overshooting 225-250 or so.
>
> The food I've cooked seems no different to me using sand than using water.
> The convenience, however, is great-- no refills on long cooks, no messy
> water to dispose of (cover the sand with two layers of *foil* and then
> throw the top layer away after the cook- instant cleanup.
>
> If you really want no-hassle long cooks, use the Minion method with sand
> in the pan and a Pitminder controller. I've done 18-20 hour cooks with
> this setup and literally not had to do a thing but eat when the food was
> done.
>
> Now, isn't someone gonna tell the OP he shoulda bought a Klamado?

Heavy_Smoker

CSS said
> With
> water, I used to let my WSM go above 250 before throwing the food
> on, it would then drop to 250. With sand, if it goes above 250,
> it takes a long time to come back down. So now my technique is
> to bring the temp up to 200 or so, throw on the food, and let it
> rise slowly without overshooting 225-250 or so.

I've used my WSM a grand total of one time. This first time I simply
let the temp flare as high as it pleased for an hour or so (burn in).
It reached ~350F(?). Then I opened the lid, let the heat out, and
threw on four chicken halves. The temp rose back to ~250 and sat
there {with a few small vent adjustments by a newby (me)}.

How should I better control the temp rise next time?

I see closing the (bottom) vents is the thermal control. Should I
close them slightly... _before_ the initial billowing smoke drops
off? Should I close them slightly..._after_ the initial billowing
smoke drops off? I think I did the later and this is why the temps
spiked so high.

--
Better living through smoking.
Paul

In article >,
"CSS" > wrote:

> The food I've cooked seems no different to me using sand than using water.
> The convenience, however, is great-- no refills on long cooks, no messy
> water to dispose of (cover the sand with two layers of *foil* and then throw
> the top layer away after the cook- instant cleanup.

I just finished the first meal from our WSM. The chicken came out great,
it was moist and had a nice smokey flavor. We followed Prof. Wivott's
instructions.

Now...cleanup? What's your procedure? Leave it overnight until cool,
I'm sure. Then what? Do you just let it sit until the next time you
use it? Dump the water as soon as it's cool? How about the grates?
Wash 'em until they're clean? Or give up a nice scraping next time
they're hot and throw the next meat on?

Please help!
CSS

***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***

Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.

I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot, and clean up the
rest the day after. I have the fire ring and grate wired together, so I
just shake it over the bottom section to remove the ash, dump the ash, and
leave whatever charcoal is left over in the ring. Remove and throw away the
foil on top of the sand and re-foil. That's about it.

BTW, this site is dedicated to the WSM and has lots of great info:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Paul" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "CSS" > wrote:
>
>> The food I've cooked seems no different to me using sand than using
>> water.
>> The convenience, however, is great-- no refills on long cooks, no messy
>> water to dispose of (cover the sand with two layers of *foil* and then
>> throw
>> the top layer away after the cook- instant cleanup.

> I just finished the first meal from our WSM. The chicken came out great,
> it was moist and had a nice smokey flavor. We followed Prof. Wivott's
> instructions.
>
> Now...cleanup? What's your procedure? Leave it overnight until cool,
> I'm sure. Then what? Do you just let it sit until the next time you
> use it? Dump the water as soon as it's cool? How about the grates?
> Wash 'em until they're clean? Or give up a nice scraping next time
> they're hot and throw the next meat on?
>
> Please help!

CSS

"Heavy_Smoker" > wrote in message
> CSS said
>> With
>> water, I used to let my WSM go above 250 before throwing the food
>> on, it would then drop to 250. With sand, if it goes above 250,
>> it takes a long time to come back down. So now my technique is
>> to bring the temp up to 200 or so, throw on the food, and let it
>> rise slowly without overshooting 225-250 or so.

> I've used my WSM a grand total of one time. This first time I simply
> let the temp flare as high as it pleased for an hour or so (burn in).
> It reached ~350F(?). Then I opened the lid, let the heat out, and
> threw on four chicken halves. The temp rose back to ~250 and sat
> there {with a few small vent adjustments by a newby (me)}.
>
> How should I better control the temp rise next time?
>
> I see closing the (bottom) vents is the thermal control. Should I
> close them slightly... _before_ the initial billowing smoke drops
> off? Should I close them slightly..._after_ the initial billowing
> smoke drops off? I think I did the later and this is why the temps
> spiked so high.
>
> --
> Better living through smoking.

I start with a full ring of charcoal and light two-three spots with
firestarter cubes or a propane torch. Assemble the cooker and leave the
bottom door off and all vents open until the temp gets to 175 or so (I have
a thermometer mounted in the top lid). Then replace the door, add the food,
and close all bottom vents to about 25% open.

CSS

Pitminder and BBQ Guru:

http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.htm

They really work...

"TT" <.> wrote in message ...
> Cleanup is a major motivating factor. I really appreciate the comments
> about thermal mass and will adjust my procedures accordingly.
>
> What is a Pitminder controller?
>
> "CSS" > wrote in message
>>
>> "TT" <.> wrote in message ...
>>>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil.
>>>This sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there
>>>downsides?
>>>
>>> 1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature
>>> down to 250ish?
>>>
>>> 2) Will it be necessary to mop?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom

>> You will find that the temperature of the WSM is much more stable using
>> sand than with using water in the pan. That said, it also changes much
>> more slowly too. You may need to adjust your operating technique to
>> compensate for the increased mass. With water, I used to let my WSM go
>> above 250 before throwing the food on, it would then drop to 250. With
>> sand, if it goes above 250, it takes a long time to come back down. So
>> now my technique is to bring the temp up to 200 or so, throw on the food,
>> and let it rise slowly without overshooting 225-250 or so.
>>
>> The food I've cooked seems no different to me using sand than using
>> water. The convenience, however, is great-- no refills on long cooks, no
>> messy water to dispose of (cover the sand with two layers of *foil* and
>> then throw the top layer away after the cook- instant cleanup.
>>
>> If you really want no-hassle long cooks, use the Minion method with sand
>> in the pan and a Pitminder controller. I've done 18-20 hour cooks with
>> this setup and literally not had to do a thing but eat when the food was
>> done.
>>
>> Now, isn't someone gonna tell the OP he shoulda bought a Klamado?

Paul

In article >,
"CSS" > wrote:

> ***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***
>
> Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.
>
> I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot, and clean up the
> rest the day after. I have the fire ring and grate wired together, so I
> just shake it over the bottom section to remove the ash, dump the ash, and
> leave whatever charcoal is left over in the ring. Remove and throw away the
> foil on top of the sand and re-foil. That's about it.

Wiring the fire ring and grate together is a great idea. Thanks!
TT

Today I tried sand in the water pan and I am now a convert. It seemed easier
than usual to maintain stable temps and it was nice to not have to worry
about periodically adding water. By far the nicest part, though, was the
30-second cleanup! Boy how I used to hate cleaning the water pan (especially
since I would often procrastinate and it would get really rancid).

"Paul" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "CSS" > wrote:
>
>> ***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***
>>
>> Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.
>>
>> I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot, and clean up
>> the
>> rest the day after. I have the fire ring and grate wired together, so I
>> just shake it over the bottom section to remove the ash, dump the ash,
>> and
>> leave whatever charcoal is left over in the ring. Remove and throw away
>> the
>> foil on top of the sand and re-foil. That's about it.

> Wiring the fire ring and grate together is a great idea. Thanks!

Steve Calvin

TT wrote:

> Today I tried sand in the water pan and I am now a convert. It seemed easier
> than usual to maintain stable temps and it was nice to not have to worry
> about periodically adding water. By far the nicest part, though, was the
> 30-second cleanup! Boy how I used to hate cleaning the water pan (especially
> since I would often procrastinate and it would get really rancid).

I thought that you'd convert once you tried it. Makes things a lot
easier. I've been thinking about getting a BBQ Guru too but I just
can't justify the cost... *yet* ;-)
http://www.thebbqguru.com/products.htm

--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?

Wally Bedford

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:58:05 -0400, "TT" <.> reported to us:

>I am considering filling my WSM water pan with sand covered with foil. This
>sounds like a good idea from what I have read, but are there downsides?
>
>1) If I do this, will it become more difficult to keep the temperature down
>to 250ish?
>
>2) Will it be necessary to mop?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

You won't notice _any_ difference in the "humidity", and extra mopping
is not required. As the sand has more "thermal mass" than water, it
will take a bit longer to come up to temp. No problems controlling
the cook; my vents take the same positions they did with water. Cover
the pan in tinfoil, and replace the tinfoil after each cook. That's
it!

Wally

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting
Tyler Hopper

"CSS" > wrote in message
> ***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***
>
> Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.
>
> I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot,

I leave my grates on the patio and let the dog lick them clean. They're ready to
use next time around.

Stan Marks

In article >,
"Tyler Hopper" > wrote:

> "CSS" > wrote in message
> > ***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***
> >
> > Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.
> >
> > I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot,

> I leave my grates on the patio and let the dog lick them clean.
> They're ready to use next time around.

Damn, Tyler - I don't think I'd've told nobody about that!

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> "CSS" > wrote in message
> > ***Warning to all NetKops: Top Posting In Progress***
> >
> > Congrats. You'll get lots of great meals out of the WSM.
> >
> > I use a wire brush on the grates while they are still hot,

> I leave my grates on the patio and let the dog lick them clean. They're

ready to
> use next time around.

Jack confesses... I do that too... Don't bother to clean 'em up after..just
burn that dog spit off next time I cook.
Jack

Stan Marks

In article <q%exe.31$%H4.3@trnddc02>,
"Jack Sloan" > wrote:

> "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> > "CSS" > wrote in message
> >
> > I leave my grates on the patio and let the dog lick them clean.
> > They're ready to use next time around.
> >

> Jack confesses... I do that too... Don't bother to clean 'em up after..just
> burn that dog spit off next time I cook.
> Jack

Well, er...:AHEM:...to tell the truth, I've been known to leave my
grates where the dog can get to 'em, too...but I don't think I would
have broadcast the fact!

--
Stan Marks

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Tyler Hopper

>> I leave my grates on the patio and let the dog lick them clean.
>> They're ready to use next time around.

> Damn, Tyler - I don't think I'd've told nobody about that!
>
> --
> Stan Marks

He's a clean dog. ;o)

Plus, the grates get plenty hot before they have food on them again.

Water to Sand Testimony RockPyle Barbecue 36 22-03-2010 08:42 PM
Theory and application of heat sinks (ie. water or sand in the tray?) (long) Zz Yzx Barbecue 15 19-12-2007 11:26 PM
Sand with water Moe Jones Barbecue 11 20-10-2007 12:09 AM
Sand in water tray question. Steve Calvin Barbecue 10 19-02-2006 08:13 PM
WSM sand vs. water Randy Barbecue 22 16-02-2004 12:10 AM