Randy

Default WSM sand vs. water

I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
tried both ways? -RP

BOB

Randy wrote:
> I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
> drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
> higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
> think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
> tried both ways? -RP

You didn't give enough information...
What are you cooking in?

Mostly when ribs dry out, they have been overcooked. You said that the temp was
5°. Is that the only variable that you have changed? Do you really think that
the water in the pan will add moisture to the ribs? You can dry out meat by
overcooking even when you boil it. Ever had beef stew with dry tasting meat?

BOB

K.B.Rook

BOB wrote:
> You didn't give enough information...
> What are you cooking in?

WSM....in the subject line.

Thomas Mooney

Randy > wrote in message
> Anybody else tried both ways? -RP

Tried both ways. Sand is the only way for me.

As for your ribs, I suspect you just overcooked one batch. Try it again
with sand. Make sure you stop cooking when they're done.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

BOB

K.B.Rook wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> You didn't give enough information...
>> What are you cooking in?
>>

> WSM....in the subject line.

OOPS! Yep, I noticed that just as I hit "send" but the rest of the post still
stands.

Overcooked! The water in the pan can't be added to the meat.

BOB

Randy

It was probably just my imagination, the fear of no water factor. The
sand definitely did a better job of maintaining a constant temperature
than water. -RP

frohe

Randy wrote:
> I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
> drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
> higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
> think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
> tried both ways? -RP

I tossed my WSM's water pan; you should too. Don't need it for sure.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

TFM®

"frohe" > wrote in message
news
> Randy wrote:
> > I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
> > drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
> > higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
> > think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
> > tried both ways? -RP

> I tossed my WSM's water pan; you should too. Don't need it for sure.
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

Frohe's right as rain there! Neither sand nor water play a role in real
bbq.

It's not a gimmick or gadget centered cooking style, folks. It's simply
meat and wood smoke combined.

TFM®

Nathan Lau

Randy > wrote in message >...
> I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
> drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
> higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
> think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
> tried both ways? -RP

In barbecue, the moistness of the meat comes from *inside*, when the
fat and collagen break down during low and slow cooking. Overcook the
meat, and all that moisture will get sqeezed out and the meat becomes
dry. Water vs. sand in the pan has nothing to do with it. You can
get either moist or dry meat using water, sand, or even no pan.
Depends how long the meat is cooked.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Stump

"TFM®" > wrote in news:e5AWb.433$Bb.25330
@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

> "frohe" > wrote in message
> news
>> Randy wrote:
>> > I tried sand in the water pan last week and my ribs seemed to come out
>> > drier than when using water. The lid temp averaged about 5 degrees
>> > higher than usual. Clean up is certainly much easier with sand but I
>> > think the water did more than just act as a heat sink. Anybody else
>> > tried both ways? -RP

>> I tossed my WSM's water pan; you should too. Don't need it for sure.
>> --
>> -frohe
>> Life is too short to be in a hurry
>>

> Frohe's right as rain there! Neither sand nor water play a role in real
> bbq.
>
> It's not a gimmick or gadget centered cooking style, folks. It's simply
> meat and wood smoke combined.
>
> TFM®

YES! Do as Frohe says and listen to TFM!

TFM... The best line I've come across... "I'ts not a gimmick or
gadget..."

Stump

Oncler

I switched to sand after the first couple of cooks....and won't go back to
water........no differance to the meat......big differance in ease of
cleaning, and some additional temp. stability. I haven't abandoned the pan
altogether, but I will give it a try this spring....

TFM®

"Randy" > wrote in message
> Are there issues with flare ups without the pan? Also, can the temp be
> controlled as well? -RP

Yes to the first question, no to the second.

That's why you should sit beside your cooker the *entire* time you're
cooking and have plenty of cold beer handy.to extinguish any fires!

TFM®

Dan Krueger

Anyone use *wet* sand? Isn't there any benefit from the steam?

Dan

Oncler wrote:

> I switched to sand after the first couple of cooks....and won't go back to
> water........no differance to the meat......big differance in ease of
> cleaning, and some additional temp. stability. I haven't abandoned the pan
> altogether, but I will give it a try this spring....

TFM®

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anyone use *wet* sand? Isn't there any benefit from the steam?

No. None.

Get this, learn it well, the water in the water pan in a bullet smoker acts
as thermal mass.

Thermal mass. Like the cooling fins on a motorcycle engine of days gone by.

Like the reason beer in bottles stays cold longer than beer in cans.

Like why a 5 pound hunk of meat takes longer to thaw than a 1 pound hunk.

It's a mass of water (or sand) that takes a great long time to get to
temperature. (are you getting it yet?) It takes an equally long time to
lose the temperature in the event of a cheesy fire or excessively windy
conditions.

BBQ is all about fire control. If you can't control a fire, you can't BBQ.

If you need some sort of contraption to assist you, you're not BBQ'ing.

If you don't get it yet, I can't be of much further assistance.

TFM®

Jack Curry

TFM® wrote:

> If you need some sort of contraption to assist you, you're not
> BBQ'ing.

Right about everything but the "contraption" part and you're flat wrong
here. BBQ can be done in a hole in the ground fulla burned down wood coals
or it can be done in a Kamado with a BBQ Guru to control the temperature
inside precisely. The are both still BBQ'n, since the end result is the
proof that matters.
BBQ doesn't have to mean sleepless nights coupled with excessive drinking.
Wait, wait......yeah, I'm sure about the sleepless nights part.

Jack Curry

Jim

> "Jack Curry" wrote:

>BBQ doesn't have to mean sleepless nights coupled with excessive drinking.
>Wait, wait......yeah, I'm sure about the sleepless nights part.

Whew... Ya had me worried for a second there, Jack.

Jim
TFM®

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> TFM® wrote:
> >
> > If you need some sort of contraption to assist you, you're not
> > BBQ'ing.

> Right about everything but the "contraption" part and you're flat wrong
> here. BBQ can be done in a hole in the ground fulla burned down wood

coals
> or it can be done in a Kamado with a BBQ Guru to control the temperature
> inside precisely. The are both still BBQ'n, since the end result is the
> proof that matters.
> BBQ doesn't have to mean sleepless nights coupled with excessive drinking.
> Wait, wait......yeah, I'm sure about the sleepless nights part.
>
> Jack Curry

I said if you *NEED* some sort of contraption...........

TFM®

Bill

In article >, "Jack
Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> says...

<snip>
> BBQ doesn't have to mean sleepless nights coupled with excessive drinking.

<snip>

> Jack Curry

Oxymoron. If you've been drinking excessively, your nights aren't
sleepless. ]8^)

Bill
Grace4all

"TFM®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Randy" > wrote in message
> > Are there issues with flare ups without the pan? Also, can the temp be
> > controlled as well? -RP
> >

> Yes to the first question, no to the second.
>
> That's why you should sit beside your cooker the *entire* time you're
> cooking and have plenty of cold beer handy.to extinguish any fires!
>
> TFM®

I really hate to disagree with the Fat Boy, but the temp spikes are really
minimal and you don't have to sit by the cooker the entire time. I've gone
into the house and garage several time (you know why I've gone in the
garage; the old lady) and been able to keep the temp within 25 degrees.

Bill Funk

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:58:56 GMT, "Grace4all" >
wrote:

>"TFM®" > wrote in message
om...

>> "Randy" > wrote in message
>> > Are there issues with flare ups without the pan? Also, can the temp be
>> > controlled as well? -RP
>> >

>> Yes to the first question, no to the second.
>>
>> That's why you should sit beside your cooker the *entire* time you're
>> cooking and have plenty of cold beer handy.to extinguish any fires!
>>
>> TFM®
>>

>I really hate to disagree with the Fat Boy, but the temp spikes are really
>minimal and you don't have to sit by the cooker the entire time. I've gone
>into the house and garage several time (you know why I've gone in the
>garage; the old lady) and been able to keep the temp within 25 degrees.

"Whoooosh!"

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Jason

"TFM®" > wrote in message
m...
> BBQ is all about fire control. If you can't control a fire, you can't

BBQ.

> If you need some sort of contraption to assist you, you're not BBQ'ing.

Ideally no contraptions would be used at all. True BBQ is where you put a
raw piece of meat in your mouth along with a smouldering coal and don't
swallow until it's cooked. Anything else is cheating, and if you want to be
a purist you gotta bite the meat off a live animal.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jason wrote:

> Ideally no contraptions would be used at all. True BBQ is where you
> put a raw piece of meat in your mouth along with a smouldering coal
> and don't swallow until it's cooked. Anything else is cheating, and
> if you want to be a purist you gotta bite the meat off a live animal.

Pleae clarify this. Is it OK to use a hot coal from a made made fire or must
it be from a lightening strike?.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Jason wrote:
>>
>> Ideally no contraptions would be used at all. True BBQ is where you
>> put a raw piece of meat in your mouth along with a smouldering coal
>> and don't swallow until it's cooked. Anything else is cheating, and
>> if you want to be a purist you gotta bite the meat off a live animal.

>Pleae clarify this. Is it OK to use a hot coal from a made made fire or must
>it be from a lightening strike?.

I think it's also OK to get the coals from behind a Prairie Grass Fire
too, Ed. You might need to travel a ways to find a Prairie, though.
:0)

Harry

Water to Sand Testimony RockPyle Barbecue 36 22-03-2010 08:42 PM
Theory and application of heat sinks (ie. water or sand in the tray?) (long) Zz Yzx Barbecue 15 19-12-2007 11:26 PM
Sand with water Moe Jones Barbecue 11 20-10-2007 12:09 AM
Sand in water tray question. Steve Calvin Barbecue 10 19-02-2006 08:13 PM
WSM: Filling Water Pan with Sand TT Barbecue 20 09-07-2005 09:54 PM