Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Water to Sand Testimony

With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
hunk o' shoulder.

So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
the water in the pan and switch to sand.

It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
middle.

When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).

I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.

Time to go eat!!!!

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RockPyle" > wrote in message
> With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
> local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
> I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
> hunk o' shoulder.
>
> So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
> I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
> grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
> the water in the pan and switch to sand.
>
> It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
> filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
> heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
> middle.
>
> When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
> I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
> was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
> still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
> stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
> much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
> was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
> 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
> heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
> really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).
>
> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.
>
> I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.
>
> Time to go eat!!!!
>
> Rock

Did you do anything to reduce the salt in the corned brisket? Do you need
to? I've thought of soaking the brisket in advance.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:
> With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
> local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
> I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
> hunk o' shoulder.
>
> So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
> I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
> grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
> the water in the pan and switch to sand.
>
> It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
> filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
> heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
> middle.
>
> When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
> I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
> was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
> still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
> stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
> much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
> was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
> 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
> heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
> really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).
>
> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.
>
> I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.
>
> Time to go eat!!!!
>
> Rock

Hi Rock,

I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
temperature I want in the smoker.

Congratulations and if there is any leftover pastrami, I'd be glad to
help you out with it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "RockPyle" > wrote in message
>> With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
>> local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
>> I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
>> hunk o' shoulder.
>>
>> So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
>> I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
>> grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
>> the water in the pan and switch to sand.
>>
>> It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
>> filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
>> heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
>> middle.
>>
>> When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
>> I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
>> was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
>> still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
>> stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
>> much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
>> was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
>> 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
>> heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
>> really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).
>>
>> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
>> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.
>>
>> I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.
>>
>> Time to go eat!!!!
>>
>> Rock
>>

> Did you do anything to reduce the salt in the corned brisket? Do you need
> to? I've thought of soaking the brisket in advance.

My mother always soaked the corned beef brisket overnight. I have soaked
it for about 5 hours in cold water, changing the water once during the
period. I find the meat to be a lot less salty and a lot more tasty
without all that salt.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 4:06*pm, RockPyle > wrote:

> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

After you've had a couple of succeses, I'd try a brisket, fat side
down, without any pan a-tall. Same set up, full closed, etc.
Have heard some that love the results.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 7:48*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "RockPyle" > wrote in message

> > With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
> > local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). *A buddy and
> > I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
> > hunk o' shoulder.

> > So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
> > I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
> > grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
> > the water in the pan and switch to sand.

> > It was a remarkably positive switch. *I bought some playsand and
> > filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
> > heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
> > middle.

> > When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
> > I usually run the unit with water in the pan. *As it stabilized, it
> > was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
> > still not very well sealed). *What a difference! *The temperature
> > stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! *I added
> > much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
> > was really nice. *I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
> > 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. *I expect to spend less heat
> > heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
> > really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).

> > I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> > the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

> > I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.

> > Time to go eat!!!!

> > Rock

> Did you do anything to reduce the salt in the corned brisket? *Do you need
> to? I've thought of soaking the brisket in advance.
>
> Kent

I am not ahead of the game enough to soak for any significant length
of time. I rinsed as much of the pickling goop off of the brisket as
I could, put the pastrami rub on and left in a glass pan overnight.

when I rinsed out the vac bag the corned beef came in using hot water,
the corning goop solidified into mucusy strands. What is that stuff?

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 9:59*pm, tutall > wrote:
> On Mar 13, 4:06*pm, RockPyle > wrote:
>
> > I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> > the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

> After you've had a couple of succeses, I'd try a brisket, fat side
> down, without any pan a-tall. Same set up, full closed, etc.
> Have heard some that love the results.

I would assume that would run in the 350*+ range. "Smoke-roasting"?

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 9:57*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> RockPyle wrote:
> > With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
> > local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). *A buddy and
> > I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
> > hunk o' shoulder.

> > So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
> > I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
> > grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
> > the water in the pan and switch to sand.

> > It was a remarkably positive switch. *I bought some playsand and
> > filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
> > heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
> > middle.

> > When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
> > I usually run the unit with water in the pan. *As it stabilized, it
> > was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
> > still not very well sealed). *What a difference! *The temperature
> > stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! *I added
> > much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
> > was really nice. *I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
> > 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. *I expect to spend less heat
> > heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
> > really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).

> > I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> > the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

> > I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.

> > Time to go eat!!!!

> > Rock

> Hi Rock,
>
> I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
> expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
> I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
> getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
> temperature I want in the smoker.
>
> Congratulations and if there is any leftover pastrami, I'd be glad to
> help you out with it.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Hmmm, I would think that less sand would raise the temperature because
it would provide less of a buffer between the heat and the meat. What
am I not understanding?

Leftover pastrami . . . I'm not familiar with that concept.

Actually, It will sit mostly whole until Monday, when I'll be
borrowing a meat slicer to slice it really thin for sammiches.
Mmmm . . . Pastrami for lunch!

Rock

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:57:29 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
> expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
> I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
> getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
> temperature I want in the smoker.

The only time I used sand in my ECBG I couldn't get the temperature
high enough. I couldn't get it over 210 when it usually idles at
250-270F.

I still use water or nothing at all.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> "RockPyle" > wrote in message
>>> With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
>>> local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). A buddy and
>>> I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
>>> hunk o' shoulder.
>>>
>>> So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
>>> I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
>>> grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
>>> the water in the pan and switch to sand.
>>>
>>> It was a remarkably positive switch. I bought some playsand and
>>> filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
>>> heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
>>> middle.
>>>
>>> When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
>>> I usually run the unit with water in the pan. As it stabilized, it
>>> was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
>>> still not very well sealed). What a difference! The temperature
>>> stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! I added
>>> much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
>>> was really nice. I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
>>> 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. I expect to spend less heat
>>> heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
>>> really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).
>>>
>>> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! I expected more drippings in
>>> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.
>>>
>>> I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.
>>>
>>> Time to go eat!!!!
>>>
>>> Rock
>>>

>> Did you do anything to reduce the salt in the corned brisket? Do you
>> need to? I've thought of soaking the brisket in advance.

> My mother always soaked the corned beef brisket overnight. I have soaked
> it for about 5 hours in cold water, changing the water once during the
> period. I find the meat to be a lot less salty and a lot more tasty
> without all that salt.
>
> Janet Wilder

After the soak, Janet, at what BBQ temp does it go in and for how long? Do
you cook it over water, or over sand[feeble attempt at humour]? Seriously,
over water, or no?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 8:37*pm, RockPyle > wrote:
> On Mar 13, 9:59*pm, tutall > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 13, 4:06*pm, RockPyle > wrote:

> > > I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> > > the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.

> > After you've had a couple of succeses, I'd try a brisket, fat side
> > down, without any pan a-tall. Same set up, full closed, etc.
> > Have heard some that love the results.

> I would assume that would run in the 350*+ range. *"Smoke-roasting"?
>
> Rock

Why do you think the temps would be different? The direct radiation to
the meat would obviously be higher, but otherwise temps would be the
same. That pan isn't "soaking up" @ 100F of heat you know, it's mainly
keeping direct heat off the meat. A heat sink keeps temps more stabile
in both directions, ammeliorating both upticks and downturns, it
doesn't lower overall temps. The difference in mass between a thin
steeled cooker and my 1/4 inch stuff acts as a heat sink too. Doesn't
change cooking or running temps.

That's why you had to close your vents to cool down the fire using
sand this time. Water has a top temp of 212F, sand does not.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:

>>> Did you do anything to reduce the salt in the corned brisket? Do you
>>> need to? I've thought of soaking the brisket in advance.

>> My mother always soaked the corned beef brisket overnight. I have soaked
>> it for about 5 hours in cold water, changing the water once during the
>> period. I find the meat to be a lot less salty and a lot more tasty
>> without all that salt.
>>
>> Janet Wilder
>>

> After the soak, Janet, at what BBQ temp does it go in and for how long? Do
> you cook it over water, or over sand[feeble attempt at humour]? Seriously,
> over water, or no?
>
> Kent

I have never Q'd a corned beef. I usually do it in a slow cooker in
water with added pickling spices and garlic. Then I use the water to
cook cabbage and potatoes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 11:07*am, tutall > wrote:
> On Mar 13, 8:37*pm, RockPyle > wrote:

> > > After you've had a couple of succeses, I'd try a brisket, fat side
> > > down, without any pan a-tall. Same set up, full closed, etc.
> > > Have heard some that love the results.

> > I would assume that would run in the 350*+ range. *"Smoke-roasting"?

> > Rock

> Why do you think the temps would be different? The direct radiation to
> the meat would obviously be higher, but otherwise temps would be the
> same. That pan isn't "soaking up" @ 100F of heat you know, it's mainly
> keeping direct heat off the meat. A heat sink keeps temps more stabile
> in both directions, ammeliorating both upticks and downturns, it
> doesn't lower overall temps. The difference in mass between a thin
> steeled cooker and my 1/4 inch stuff acts as a heat sink too. Doesn't
> change cooking or running temps.
>
> That's why you had to close your vents to cool down the fire using
> sand this time. *Water has a top temp of 212F, sand does not.

I would think that nothing directly above the fire would allow it to
run hotter. Especially when I add wood chunks, there is a flame that
I would think would run higher and hotter in the absence of the pan
directly above it. I'll have to give it a try some time.

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 8:06*pm, RockPyle > wrote:
> With St. Patrick's Day coming up, Corned Beef went on sale at the
> local meat playground (Cattleman's Meats in Taylor, MI). *A buddy and
> I went Friday to pick up a couple of corned briskets and I also got a
> hunk o' shoulder.
>
> So today I woke up bright and early to make pastrami and pulled pork.
> I have a Brinkmann Square vertical smoker with a Home Depot Stainless
> grilling wok as my firepan and today was the day I was going to forego
> the water in the pan and switch to sand.
>
> It was a remarkably positive switch. *I bought some playsand and
> filled the water pan to about 1 inch from the top, covered the pan in
> heavy duty foil and put a pie pan also covered in HD foil over the
> middle.
>
> When I fired up the coals, I left the bottom vents at 1/4 open, where
> I usually run the unit with water in the pan. *As it stabilized, it
> was up around 300*F, so I closed the vents all the way (but it is
> still not very well sealed). *What a difference! *The temperature
> stayed between 260* and 275* and the coals lasted *forever*! *I added
> much less fuel than usual over the cook, and not having to add water
> was really nice. *I had a quicker than usual cook as well, 9 hours to
> 194* on the pork and 188* on the brisket. *I expect to spend less heat
> heating water, but I'll keep an eye on future cooks to see if they
> really get quicker (my usual brisket/pulled pork time is 11 hours).
>
> I am a believer in sand in the pan now! *I expected more drippings in
> the pie pan, but was happy to wrap the foil up and discard cleanly.
>
> I am taking pics, and may find a way to post them.
>
> Time to go eat!!!!
>
> Rock

Pics of this weekend's cooking:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockpyl...7623620596608/

Enjoy! I know we did.

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Mar-2010, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Kent wrote:

> >> My mother always soaked the corned beef brisket overnight. I have
> >> soaked
> >> it for about 5 hours in cold water, changing the water once during the
> >>
> >> period. I find the meat to be a lot less salty and a lot more tasty
> >> without all that salt.
> >>
> >> Janet Wilder
> >>

> > After the soak, Janet, at what BBQ temp does it go in and for how long?
> > Do
> > you cook it over water, or over sand[feeble attempt at humour]?
> > Seriously,
> > over water, or no?
> >
> > Kent
> >

> I have never Q'd a corned beef. I usually do it in a slow cooker in
> water with added pickling spices and garlic. Then I use the water to
> cook cabbage and potatoes.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I've never Q'd a corned beef either. I do it the same as Janet. I may
smoke one sometime to see if I can make decent pastrami. There's
no hurry.

--
Brick (Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart,.
Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:40:20 GMT, Brick wrote:

> I've never Q'd a corned beef either. I do it the same as Janet. I may
> smoke one sometime to see if I can make decent pastrami. There's
> no hurry.

You really need to soak a commercial corned beef in water before
smoking, otherwise the salt content just condenses on and inside the
beef and makes for a really salty end-product.

This is why it's best to dry-cure a brisket yourself before smoking.
No brine, simmering, or water bath to leech the flavor out of the
beef and you control the salt content.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 5:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> This is why it's best to dry-cure a brisket yourself before smoking.
> No brine, simmering, or water bath to leech the flavor out of the
> beef and you control the salt content.

So, with your experience with this (thanks in advance) do you have
"recipes" (In this realm I prefer the usage of "directions", but I'm
an asshole) for corned beef, bonusastrami?

We've got a all too much "that" place nearby that features pastrami of
all things. A Belgium/French heads it up. I'd be tickled pink to come
anywhere close to this guys meat, which I'll admit to having paid
usurous prices for.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"RockPyle" > wrote

> when I rinsed out the vac bag the corned beef came in using hot water,
> the corning goop solidified into mucusy strands. What is that stuff?

Proteins.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:57:29 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
>> expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
>> I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
>> getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
>> temperature I want in the smoker.

> The only time I used sand in my ECBG I couldn't get the temperature
> high enough. I couldn't get it over 210 when it usually idles at
> 250-270F.
>
> I still use water or nothing at all.

I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking vessel
in comparison to the lowly ECB.

When I was still a metal cooking n00b, I used sand in the pan a few times
with great results compared to water. Number one being that sand doesn't
evaporate.
The main problem I had was foil deterioration, and therefore greasy, nasty
ass sand.

I haven't seen my water pan in a number of years, a hurricane may have taken
it. I don't miss it.

I don't cook on both levels of my cooker, but I'm only one person, why would
I need to? I can cook enough on the top to feed everybody that will fit in
my house.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:57:29 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker and switched to sand on the
>>> expert advice of my AFB gurus. It is far superior to the sand, however,
>>> I found that I had to lessen the amount of sand as the temperature was
>>> getting too high. I now know just how much sand I need to maintain the
>>> temperature I want in the smoker.

>> The only time I used sand in my ECBG I couldn't get the temperature
>> high enough. I couldn't get it over 210 when it usually idles at
>> 250-270F.
>>
>> I still use water or nothing at all.

> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking
> vessel in comparison to the lowly ECB.
>
> When I was still a metal cooking n00b, I used sand in the pan a few
> times with great results compared to water. Number one being that sand
> doesn't evaporate.
> The main problem I had was foil deterioration, and therefore greasy,
> nasty ass sand.
>
> I haven't seen my water pan in a number of years, a hurricane may have
> taken it. I don't miss it.
>
> I don't cook on both levels of my cooker, but I'm only one person, why
> would I need to? I can cook enough on the top to feed everybody that
> will fit in my house.
>

> TFM®

Nice to see you posting. Some of us were a little worried about you when
we hadn't seen you no the board for a while.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 16, 9:33*pm, TFM® > wrote:
> "RockPyle" > wrote
>
> > when I rinsed out the vac bag the corned beef came in using hot water,
> > the corning goop solidified into mucusy strands. *What is that stuff?

> Proteins.
>
> TFM®

Fats: not just a purty face. He like, knows shit too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:

> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking vessel
> in comparison to the lowly ECB.

Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ChairMan wrote:
> In ,
> Sqwertz >spewed forth:
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior
>>> cooking vessel in comparison to the lowly ECB.

>> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>>
>> -sw

> So you own one then.

oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz >spewed forth:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>
>> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior
>> cooking vessel in comparison to the lowly ECB.

> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>
> -sw

So you own one then.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> ChairMan wrote:
> > In ,
> > Sqwertz >spewed forth:

> >> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > So you own one then.
> >

> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

Oh quit taking yourself so seriously and have a bit of fun!!! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Steve Calvin >spewed forth:
> ChairMan wrote:
>> In ,
>> Sqwertz >spewed forth:

>>> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> So you own one then.
>>

> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

I ain't bitin', I'm chummin', but it looks like he took my advice to leave
sleeping dogs lie.
Which was/is a wise move on his part.
Apologies iffen it upset your day.
I won't respond to him again, unless provoked.<eg>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 17, 8:05*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:
> > I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking vessel
> > in comparison to the lowly ECB.

> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>
> -sw

I see some intelligent, well written posts by Squirty, and wonder what
is going on.

Then I see these pointless expulsions of diarrhea and I know he is
just fine.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> ChairMan wrote:
>>> In ,
>>> Sqwertz >spewed forth:

>>> So you own one then.
>>>

>> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
>> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

> Oh quit taking yourself so seriously and have a bit of fun!!! :-)

I don't take myself seriously but I don't like just plain bullshit either

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 18, 2:35*pm, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *Steve Calvin > wrote:

> >> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
> >> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

> > Oh quit taking yourself so seriously and have a bit of fun!!! :-)

> I don't take myself seriously but I don't like just plain bullshit either

Steve's bullshit sure as hell aint plain.

Itsa spicy, like a good a meatballs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:03:46 -0600, ChairMan wrote:

> In ,
> Steve Calvin >spewed forth:
>> ChairMan wrote:
>>> In ,
>>> Sqwertz >spewed forth:

>>> So you own one then.
>>>

>> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
>> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

> I ain't bitin', I'm chummin', but it looks like he took my advice to leave
> sleeping dogs lie.
> Which was/is a wise move on his part.
> Apologies iffen it upset your day.
> I won't respond to him again, unless provoked.<eg>

For a "sleeping dog" (your words), you sure do a lot of unprovoked
barking.

ObFood: There was one decent Bill Miller's BBQ in town out of 5 or
6. That one closed due to lack of business yet the others are still
thriving. I don't get it. I could never BBQ for the masses.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:46:31 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

> Steve's bullshit sure as hell aint plain.
>
> Itsa spicy, like a good a meatballs.

Thanks. I'm trying to promote quality and good taste to bullshit,
one turd at a time. None of those nonsense, sandbox drama posts
from me.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz >spewed forth:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 01:03:46 -0600, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Steve Calvin >spewed forth:

>>> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd
>>> never see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

>> I ain't bitin', I'm chummin', but it looks like he took my advice to
>> leave sleeping dogs lie.
>> Which was/is a wise move on his part.
>> Apologies iffen it upset your day.
>> I won't respond to him again, unless provoked.<eg>

> For a "sleeping dog" (your words), you sure do a lot of unprovoked
> barking.

Again, backup your bulllshit or STFU.
I won't hold my breath.
<crickets>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>
>> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior cooking
>> vessel
>> in comparison to the lowly ECB.

> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>
> -sw

I know you are, but what am I?

Mine was a wedding gift so shut your ****ing piehole.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ChairMan" > wrote in message
om...
> In ,
> Sqwertz >spewed forth:
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:41:39 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> I use nothing at all in the WSM, but that's a vastly superior
>>> cooking vessel in comparison to the lowly ECB.

>> Only faggots and she-males use the incredibly overpriced WSM's.
>>
>> -sw

> So you own one then.

He has a fleet.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Steve Calvin > wrote:

>>> oh, if only people wouldn't even bother replying to sqwertz I'd never
>>> see the crap - but someone ALWAYS bites

>> Oh quit taking yourself so seriously and have a bit of fun!!! :-)

> I don't take myself seriously but I don't like just plain bullshit either

Squirts is just playing with me, just like I play with him. No biggie...

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in mess
>> I don't take myself seriously but I don't like just plain bullshit either

> Squirts is just playing with me, just like I play with him. No biggie...
>
> TFM®

Hey man - long time! Welcome back and I hope things are well on your
end these days.

--
Steve

Water through Pizza Stone Testimony Kent[_2_] Barbecue 7 21-03-2010 09:30 PM
Sand with water Moe Jones Barbecue 11 20-10-2007 12:09 AM
Sand in water tray question. Steve Calvin Barbecue 10 19-02-2006 09:13 PM
WSM: Filling Water Pan with Sand TT Barbecue 20 09-07-2005 09:54 PM
WSM sand vs. water Randy Barbecue 22 16-02-2004 01:10 AM