SonoranDude

Default Question: Cooking Contests

You guys are the pros and in the know for BBQ contests and probably chili
contests.. Anyone hear of a taco contest?

I was goofing around with my carne asada and came up with something pretty
brilliant... I have prepared it for a couple parties now and people are
going nuts for it. I would like to have a shot at taking it to a contest to
document the idea though.

Thanks,
Brad

SonoranDude

"Ricky" > wrote in message
> "SonoranDude" > wrote in message
> news
> > You guys are the pros and in the know for BBQ contests and probably

chili
> > contests.. Anyone hear of a taco contest?
> >
> > I was goofing around with my carne asada and came up with something

pretty
> > brilliant... I have prepared it for a couple parties now and people are
> > going nuts for it. I would like to have a shot at taking it to a contest

> > document the idea though.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brad

> Brad - while I've never heard of a "Taco contest", many bbq contests
> feature an ancillary event on Friday night before the contest called
> "Anything But" where you can cook anything you want except for the 4
> standard category meats. You might want to try your tacos there.

I found a site that I think I can win...I just want this recipe documented
so if a resturaunt goes out and rips it off I may have some peace of mind
that it was my idea to begin with. As soon as it's published I will share it
with you guys.

When selling Seafood back in the 80s I tipped off a small Mexican grill
about making fish tacos. The guy used my recipe to a T and won the Best Fish
Taco of Phoenix several years later when they introduced the item in the New
Times. Then the ******* had selective memory and didn't remember that I gave
him the recipe. All I wanted was a free taco.

Not going to happen again. With this in hand I should get all the free tacos
I want if someone rips it off. I do want to share this recipe with the world
and feel that it could do quite well for a couple of industries.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:15:13 -0700, "SonoranDude"
> wrote:

>I found a site that I think I can win...I just want this recipe documented
>so if a resturaunt goes out and rips it off I may have some peace of mind
>that it was my idea to begin with. As soon as it's published I will share it
>with you guys.
>
>When selling Seafood back in the 80s I tipped off a small Mexican grill
>about making fish tacos. The guy used my recipe to a T and won the Best Fish
>Taco of Phoenix several years later when they introduced the item in the New
>Times. Then the ******* had selective memory and didn't remember that I gave
>him the recipe. All I wanted was a free taco.
>
>Not going to happen again. With this in hand I should get all the free tacos
>I want if someone rips it off. I do want to share this recipe with the world
>and feel that it could do quite well for a couple of industries.

You didn't get ripped off, nor will you get ripped off in the future
unless you treat the recipe as a trade secret. You can't copyright a
recipe.

TFM®

SonoranDude wrote:

> The fish tacos are a snap.

<SNIP>
> Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg,

<SNIP>

Pardon me? I can't imagine a fish taco with lettuce in place of cabbage.
You sure this is good?

TFM®

SonoranDude

"TFM®" > wrote in message
om...
> SonoranDude wrote:
>
> > The fish tacos are a snap.

> <SNIP>
> > Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg,

> <SNIP>
>

> Pardon me? I can't imagine a fish taco with lettuce in place of cabbage.
> You sure this is good?
>

> TFM®

Cabbage in Mexico?
I'm sure there is some cabbage somewhere in southern Mexico where the
Germans had migrated but most Sonorans have never heard of it.
lechuga rocks!

SonoranDude

"TFM®" > wrote in message
om...
> SonoranDude wrote:
>
> > The fish tacos are a snap.

> <SNIP>
> > Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg,

> <SNIP>
>

> Pardon me? I can't imagine a fish taco with lettuce in place of cabbage.
> You sure this is good?
>

> TFM®

Cabbage in Mexico?
I'm sure there is some cabbage somewhere in southern Mexico where the
Germans had migrated but most Sonorans have never heard of it.
lechuga rocks!

TFM®

SonoranDude wrote:
> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> om...
>> SonoranDude wrote:
>>
>>> The fish tacos are a snap.

>> <SNIP>
>>> Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg,

>> <SNIP>
>>

>> Pardon me? I can't imagine a fish taco with lettuce in place of
>> cabbage. You sure this is good?
>>

>> TFM®
>>

> Cabbage in Mexico?
> I'm sure there is some cabbage somewhere in southern Mexico where the
> Germans had migrated but most Sonorans have never heard of it.
> lechuga rocks!

You just try it one time senor! Eet weel make the hairs on the back of your
neck stand up and sing the Mexican hat dance!

El Hombre Gordo®

BTW, Por favor, Mi esposa introduced me to tacos del pescado. She's a west
coast gal. Perhaps it's comida california.

TFM®

SonoranDude wrote:
> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> om...
>> SonoranDude wrote:
>>
>>> The fish tacos are a snap.

>> <SNIP>
>>> Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg,

>> <SNIP>
>>

>> Pardon me? I can't imagine a fish taco with lettuce in place of
>> cabbage. You sure this is good?
>>

>> TFM®
>>

> Cabbage in Mexico?
> I'm sure there is some cabbage somewhere in southern Mexico where the
> Germans had migrated but most Sonorans have never heard of it.
> lechuga rocks!

You just try it one time senor! Eet weel make the hairs on the back of your
neck stand up and sing the Mexican hat dance!

El Hombre Gordo®

BTW, Por favor, Mi esposa introduced me to tacos del pescado. She's a west
coast gal. Perhaps it's comida california.

SonoranDude

"TFM®" > wrote in message news:_iL0e.146>
> You just try it one time senor! Eet weel make the hairs on the back of

your
> neck stand up and sing the Mexican hat dance!
>
> El Hombre Gordo®
>
> BTW, Por favor, Mi esposa introduced me to tacos del pescado. She's a

west
> coast gal. Perhaps it's comida california.

I hear you dude, I've done the cabbage thing... it is not too bad, most use
mayonaise or salad dressing base around these parts. When I came up with
this nearly 25 years ago there wasn't any fish taco to be found in AZ... I
had just heard about them from some college buddies in Reno that lived in
SoCal so I had to free ball it after I got in the seafood biz and had a lot
of fresh seafood to experiment with.

Actually in Wenatchee two or so years ago I went to a Mexican joint there
and they actually served a spicy cabbage pico de gallo type appetizer in
addition to salsa that was pretty dam good. They served it with chips. I had
never seen anything like it and asked every Mexican I came accross about it
and they hadn't heard of it either. Maybe Dave can stop by there and get
that recipe. It was on the main drag a block or two from the McDonalds.
Seems to me it was a vinegar based salad with fresh jalapenos, onions and
maybe tomatoes can't remember.

I've entered my new recipe with a big kiwi distributor so here is my new
concoction in a nutshell... Refer back to original post substitute any
grilled or sauteed meat you want. (Pasted the basic recipe down below.)

A change to my lettuce mixture. In addition to the chopped cilantro I added
about a 1/3 of the lettuce quantity of fresh shreaded mustard greens for a
different heat kick still mixed with my mom's seasoned dressing of oil, red
wine vinegar and Lawrey's to add flavor to the greens.
To off-set the bitterness of the weed I then added chopped kiwi fruit that
added color and some sweetness to the taco but still kept the tart that is
so good. I served this with both grilled marinated skirt steak med rare and
large peeled scampi in the tacos served with either corn or flour tortillas.
If you can find gold kiwi you want to mix both. The presentation was
terrific but did not have a camera or was too drunk to remember. The garnish
medely that includes the original ingredients below (radishes a must for
flavor and mouth feel) had white, red, dark green, light green and yellow.
Top with your favorite taco sauce.. mine is El Pato and look out, mighty
tasty. Make sure the mustard greens are fresh and spicy!

Give it a try.

<snip>
Use a good boneless ocean fish fillet: My favorite is large grouper cheeks
if you know any seafood distributors that cut their own fish. The guy in
Scottsdale was using frozen Mahi Mahi which will work also.

Marinate: El Pato Tomato Sauce for a couple hours
Grill: Over tame mesquite coals till medium done, just past rare.
Warmed Corn or Flour Tortillas Fresh Homemade or Authentic.
Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg, chopped cilantro to your taste,
extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, 1 or 2 dashes of Lawreys salt to taste and
toss.
Garnishes,1/4" chopped radish, chopped tomato, chopped green onion,
quartered limes, quartered lemons
Salsas: El Pato sauce, Homemade or Authentic Red Salsa and a green Guacado
(Avocado, Tomatillos, Serrano, pinch of cilantro and salt blended to make a
smooth delicious sauce)

As far as the new tacos are concerned I will post them soon. Working on the
marinade and the new recipe will apply to all the taco meats. Fish, Chicken,
Beef, Pork, Camel.

SonoranDude

> [...]

Scottsdale was using frozen Mahi Mahi which will work also.

Marinate: El Pato Tomato Sauce for a couple hours
Grill: Over tame mesquite coals till medium done, just past rare.
Warmed Corn or Flour Tortillas Fresh Homemade or Authentic.
Lettuce: (Trade Secret) shredded iceberg, chopped cilantro to your taste,
extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, 1 or 2 dashes of Lawreys salt to taste and
toss.
Garnishes,1/4" chopped radish, chopped tomato, chopped green onion,
quartered limes, quartered lemons
Salsas: El Pato sauce, Homemade or Authentic Red Salsa and a green Guacado
(Avocado, Tomatillos, Serrano, pinch of cilantro and salt blended to make a
smooth delicious sauce)

As far as the new tacos are concerned I will post them soon. Working on the
marinade and the new recipe will apply to all the taco meats. Fish, Chicken,

Cooking contests. Private Private General Cooking 1 02-05-2011 04:29 PM
Cooking question Nicole General Cooking 9 23-09-2004 08:32 PM
BBQ Contests in WA? JaKe Barbecue 4 25-06-2004 11:24 PM
BBQ contests Jeff Russell Barbecue 9 15-06-2004 05:15 PM
recipe contests? Julia Altshuler General Cooking 4 26-04-2004 05:01 AM