Jeff Russell

Default BBQ contests

Anyone in the group have experience entering or judging in a BBQ contest?
What's it like? Fun? Any stories?

JD

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> Anyone in the group have experience entering or judging in a BBQ
> contest? What's it like? Fun? Any stories?

Both. It can be fun to judge but don't expect to sample Q that falls into
what I'd call traditional parameters. Contestants tend to "game" the process
by submitting things that are designed to make an impression in one bite.
That doesn't mean it'll be the best Q you ever ate (at least not by my
standards). The team I compete on doesn't do it often and we don't obsess
gaming the judges. It's more for the fun and camaraderie as well as a little
exposure for the restaurant our team captain owns. At our last competition
in Everett WA, we took first in chicken (a big surprise), *only* sixth in
pulled pork, and didn't even place in ribs and brisket. Having tasted
samples of nearly everybody elses work I can only guess that the judges (all
newbees) got suckered by the sweet sauce thing on pork and brisket which we
didn't use.

JD

mårk

> Both. It can be fun to judge but don't expect to sample Q that falls into
> what I'd call traditional parameters. Contestants tend to "game" the

process
> by submitting things that are designed to make an impression in one bite.
> That doesn't mean it'll be the best Q you ever ate (at least not by my
> standards). The team I compete on doesn't do it often and we don't obsess
> gaming the judges. It's more for the fun and camaraderie as well as a

little
> exposure for the restaurant our team captain owns. At our last competition
> in Everett WA, we took first in chicken (a big surprise), *only* sixth in
> pulled pork, and didn't even place in ribs and brisket. Having tasted
> samples of nearly everybody elses work I can only guess that the judges

(all
> newbees) got suckered by the sweet sauce thing on pork and brisket which

we
> didn't use.
>
> JD

How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend one.
Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.

-m

Neighbor Dave

> How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend one.
> Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.
>
> -m

A great source for all things BBQ is the National Barbeque News
www.barbequenews.com

N.D.

Duwop

Neighbor Dave wrote:
>> How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend
>> one. Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.
>>
>> -m

> A great source for all things BBQ is the National Barbeque News
> www.barbequenews.com
>
> N.D.

And here's the California Barbecue Association that runs most of the
contests in Cali.:

http://www.cbbqa.com/

JD

"mårk" > wrote in message

>> Both. It can be fun to judge but don't expect to sample Q that falls
>> into what I'd call traditional parameters. Contestants tend to
>> "game" the process by submitting things that are designed to make an
>> impression in one bite. That doesn't mean it'll be the best Q you
>> ever ate (at least not by my standards). The team I compete on
>> doesn't do it often and we don't obsess gaming the judges. It's more
>> for the fun and camaraderie as well as a little exposure for the
>> restaurant our team captain owns. At our last competition in Everett
>> WA, we took first in chicken (a big surprise), *only* sixth in
>> pulled pork, and didn't even place in ribs and brisket. Having
>> tasted samples of nearly everybody elses work I can only guess that
>> the judges (all newbees) got suckered by the sweet sauce thing on
>> pork and brisket which we didn't use.
>>
>> JD
>>

> How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend
> one. Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.
>
> -m

In our area there's the Pacific NW Barbecue Assn www.pnwba.com

JD

Ricky

"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> Anyone in the group have experience entering or judging in a BBQ contest?
> What's it like? Fun? Any stories?

If you like barbecue as much as most of us, then you need to come out and
judge a contest. I'm an FBA Judge, Rep and retired cook team (The Boca Boys)
and an MIM judge. You will eat a lot of very good barbecue. Some of it will
be the best you have ever eaten and some will be the worst. Cooking a
contest is an expensive proposition. You've got to remember you are cooking
for at least 6 judges who have different tastes and ideas of what barbecue
should be. I figure it cost me around $500 a contest to cook. I did win some
stuff occasionally but it's really just a lot of fun after the hard work is
over.

Here's a link the Florida BBQ Association - http://www.flbbq.org

Good starting place!

Stephen Russell

>"Jeff Russell" > wrote in message
> Anyone in the group have experience entering or judging in a BBQ contest?
> What's it like? Fun? Any stories?

I wrote software for judging and I cook on a team. We have 5 certified
judges on our team and we only do MIM as a team.

You will find the gammat of food at a contest. Some great and some
questionable. You have to take it as it comes.

__Stephen

Edwin Pawlowski

"mårk" > wrote in message
> How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend one.
> Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.
>
> -m

Your mouth will water when you go and you may not even get a taste. Due to
heal department restrictions, contestants are usually not allowed to sell
anything. They also bought the meat out of pocket and usually take it home
as they just can't afford to give it all away to feed the masses.

If you know someone that competes, you have an "in" and may get to do a
little taste testing. One thing you don't want to do is bug the contestants
during the turn in times. They don't have time to chat and are
concentrating. Stop by afterwards and you'll get a better reception.

There are different types of contests also. Some a KCBS or MIM sanctioned
events. Others are run by local Chamber of Commerce types and have looser
rules.
Ed

Bill

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:46:40 GMT, "mårk" >
wrote:

>How does one find out about upcoming bbq events? I'd love to attend one.
>Everytime I check 'em out on TV, my mouth waters.

For events sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, try the
calendar on their web page: http://www.kcbs.us/

Cooking contests. Private Private General Cooking 1 02-05-2011 04:29 PM
Question: Cooking Contests SonoranDude Barbecue 9 25-03-2005 08:01 PM
BBQ Contests in WA? JaKe Barbecue 4 25-06-2004 11:24 PM
recipe contests? Julia Altshuler General Cooking 4 26-04-2004 05:01 AM