Stan Marks

Default Question about cooking chicken

I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens this weekend, and I got to
wondering if I should buy large fryers or baking/roasting birds. I've
done large fryers, before, with good results. In fact, they usually
turn out almost *too* tender, if you know what I mean. What kind of
chickens do you folks choose to put in your pits?

Stan
BOB

"Stan Marks" > wrote in message

> I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens this weekend, and I got
> to wondering if I should buy large fryers or baking/roasting birds.
> I've done large fryers, before, with good results. In fact, they
> usually turn out almost *too* tender, if you know what I mean. What
> kind of chickens do you folks choose to put in your pits?
>
> Stan

I like the cheaper (and un-enhanced "with a solution of up to 15%")
birds.

More recently, I've been buying cornish game hens for about $0.49
each.

Hanging them on a meat hanger sure does keep them moist and helps to
crisp up the skin.

BOB

Matthew L. Martin

Stan Marks wrote:
> I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens this weekend, and I got to
> wondering if I should buy large fryers or baking/roasting birds. I've
> done large fryers, before, with good results. In fact, they usually
> turn out almost *too* tender, if you know what I mean. What kind of
> chickens do you folks choose to put in your pits?

I buy the largest roasting chickens I can get when they are on sale
(0.59-0.79/#). These are usually minimally processed (1%-3% retained
water) and run from 7 to 9+ pounds. Larger chickens generally have a
higher proportion of meat to bone than smaller ones.

I brine them or not as time permits. They cook at 250-275F with light
smoke until the thigh joint hits 161F. You can try cranking to cooker up
to 350 for a few minutes in an attempt to save the skin. I tried it once
and the skin turned into armor.

Mathew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Steve Calvin

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Stan Marks wrote:
>
>> I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens this weekend, and I got
>> to wondering if I should buy large fryers or baking/roasting birds.
>> I've done large fryers, before, with good results. In fact, they
>> usually turn out almost *too* tender, if you know what I mean. What
>> kind of chickens do you folks choose to put in your pits?
>>

> I buy the largest roasting chickens I can get when they are on sale
> (0.59-0.79/#). These are usually minimally processed (1%-3% retained
> water) and run from 7 to 9+ pounds. Larger chickens generally have a
> higher proportion of meat to bone than smaller ones.
>
> I brine them or not as time permits. They cook at 250-275F with light
> smoke until the thigh joint hits 161F. You can try cranking to cooker up
> to 350 for a few minutes in an attempt to save the skin. I tried it once
> and the skin turned into armor.
>
> Mathew

I guess I'm just weird, but I'm told that often so it's no surprise. ;-)
I'll eat chick but prefer not to. Doesn't taste like anything without
injecting of some serious spices. I'll take turkey any day. I do have a
"BBQ" sauce recipe that makes it so I can tolorate it though. I had to
do something 'cause SWMBO likes it so I have to cook it periodically. ;-)

--
Steve
Pete C.

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
>

> > I think that both the mass produced chicken and turkey have a striking
> > taste resemblance to cardboard. Most of the mass produced turkeys have
> > already been processed with a lot of spice which is probably why you
> > find them better than chicken. If you get the non-mass produced version
> > of either (small local farm perhaps) they are much better.
> >

> I can get boutique, farm raised, free range, organic chickens at my
> local market. If I'm spending $4 per pound, I may as well get a decent
> fish or steak.
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game

I didn't say that the non-cardboard chicken and turkey was just as
cheap, just that it actually had flavor...

Pete C.

Steve Calvin

Pete C. wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:

<snip>

>>I guess I'm just weird, but I'm told that often so it's no surprise. ;-)
>>I'll eat chick but prefer not to. Doesn't taste like anything without
>>injecting of some serious spices. I'll take turkey any day. I do have a
>>"BBQ" sauce recipe that makes it so I can tolorate it though. I had to
>>do something 'cause SWMBO likes it so I have to cook it periodically. ;-)
>>
>>--
>>Steve

> I think that both the mass produced chicken and turkey have a striking
> taste resemblance to cardboard. Most of the mass produced turkeys have
> already been processed with a lot of spice which is probably why you
> find them better than chicken. If you get the non-mass produced version
> of either (small local farm perhaps) they are much better.
>
> Pete C.

I didn't know that about the turkeys, thanks. I know that the wild ones
taste a lot better though! ;-)

I've tried "free range" chickens and they still taste line nothing to
me. <shrug>

--
Steve
BOB

"Kilikini" > wrote in message
news
> BOB wrote:
>> "Stan Marks" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens this weekend, and I
>>> got
>>> to wondering if I should buy large fryers or baking/roasting
>>> birds.
>>> I've done large fryers, before, with good results. In fact, they
>>> usually turn out almost *too* tender, if you know what I mean.
>>> What
>>> kind of chickens do you folks choose to put in your pits?
>>>
>>> Stan

>> I like the cheaper (and un-enhanced "with a solution of up to 15%")
>> birds.
>>
>> More recently, I've been buying cornish game hens for about $0.49
>> each.
>>
>> Hanging them on a meat hanger sure does keep them moist and helps
>> crisp up the skin.
>>
>> BOB

> Cornish Game hens? Really? Approximately how long do they take,
> BOB? I'd be willing to try that, but I'd be afraid they'd get too
> dry.
> kili

I haven't got the timing down yet, but they're just less than a pound
each, and I cook 'em at about 400° for about a half hour, then start
checking the internal temps. The meat hanger in a Kamado is a
wonderful thing.

BOB

BOB

"BOB" > wrote in message

> "Graemein London" > wrote in message
>
>> "BOB" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> I like the cheaper (and un-enhanced "with a solution of up to
>>> 15%")
>>> birds.
>>>
>>> More recently, I've been buying cornish game hens for about $0.49
>>> each.
>>>
>>> Hanging them on a meat hanger sure does keep them moist and helps
>>> crisp up the skin.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Bloody Hell, BOB, $0.49 each. Do they have any meat on them?

Yes, about one serving each. Ratio of bones to meat is about the same
as most chickens. These also aren't "enhanced" like most chicken is
over here.

BOB

BOB

"BOB" > wrote in message

> "Graemein London" > wrote in message
>
>> "BOB" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> I like the cheaper (and un-enhanced "with a solution of up to
>>> 15%")
>>> birds.
>>>
>>> More recently, I've been buying cornish game hens for about $0.49
>>> each.
>>>
>>> Hanging them on a meat hanger sure does keep them moist and helps
>>> crisp up the skin.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Bloody Hell, BOB, $0.49 each. Do they have any meat on them?

Yes, about one serving each. Ratio of bones to meat is about the same
as most chickens. These also aren't "enhanced" like most chicken is
over here.

BOB

Kilikini

BOB wrote:
> "Graemein London" > wrote in message
>
>> "BOB" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> I like the cheaper (and un-enhanced "with a solution of up to 15%")
>>> birds.
>>>
>>> More recently, I've been buying cornish game hens for about $0.49
>>> each.
>>>
>>> Hanging them on a meat hanger sure does keep them moist and helps
>>> crisp up the skin.
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Bloody Hell, BOB, $0.49 each. Do they have any meat on them? Even
>> ignoring the $B!r(B v $ ratio, thats cheap.
>>
>> You can't buy a chicken in the UK for under $B!r(B2.50 or 5 bucks.
>>
>> Graeme (who also pays $B!r(B4 lb for brisket)

> They are just slightly under a pound, averaging about 14.5 ounces
> each.
> Wal-Mart and Publix have had them for $0.49 each for a while now, but
> I don't expect it to last. I'm stocking the freezer. Many will fit
> since they're so small.
>
> BOB

Thanks for the tip, BOB. I'm gonna have to git me some.

kili

BOB

"Kilikini" > wrote in message
om
> BOB wrote:
>> "Graemein London" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "BOB" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Bloody Hell, BOB, $0.49 each. Do they have any meat on them? Even
>>> ignoring the $B!r(B v $ ratio, thats cheap.
>>>
>>> You can't buy a chicken in the UK for under $B!r(B2.50 or 5
>>> bucks.
>>>
>>> Graeme (who also pays $B!r(B4 lb for brisket)

>> They are just slightly under a pound, averaging about 14.5 ounces
>> each.
>> Wal-Mart and Publix have had them for $0.49 each for a while now,
>> but
>> I don't expect it to last. I'm stocking the freezer. Many will
>> fit
>> since they're so small.
>>
>> BOB

> Thanks for the tip, BOB. I'm gonna have to git me some.
>
> kili

Act quickly...I can't see this lasting much longer.

BOB

Steve Calvin

Brick wrote:
> On 21-Mar-2005, "BOB" > wrote:
>

>>Kilikini" > wrote in message
.com

> [...]

. net...

>>>Thanks for the tip, BOB. I'm gonna have to git me some.
>>>
>>>kili

>>Act quickly...I can't see this lasting much longer.
>>
>>BOB

> Cornish hens today at Wal-Mart and Publix are $2.50 each
> and above here. I made a special trip to check them all out.
> but I came, (Tampa) up zero.
>

> Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

*Intentionally not snipped*

My gawd man (or woman). You ever hear of snippint a post? This thing
looks like a freekin' trans-atlantic flight course map!

--
Steve
Steve Calvin

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>*Intentionally not snipped*
>>
>>My gawd man (or woman). You ever hear of snippint a post? This thing
>>looks like a freekin' trans-atlantic flight course map!

> So you figgered on makin' it worse?<g>

actually, I wanted the reference course projections left intact for the
visual impact, (not that it'll probably ever do any good)

--
Steve
BOB

"Brick" wrote

> Cornish hens today at Wal-Mart and Publix are $2.50 each
> and above here. I made a special trip to check them all out.
> but I came, (Tampa) up zero.
>

> Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Same here, now. Phggggthhhh~~~~~

Wally world doesn't have a clue...says I'm mistaken (when I asked
about the cheaper ones).

Publix' meat dept manager says that they got a fairly large shipment
in that white cryo-vac with the label stating 16 oz, but they were
anywhere from 14 oz. to 17 oz. and rather than get in trouble for
selling under-sized, they just marked the whole bunch down to $0.49 to
get rid of them, and put their own sticker with the weight and the
$0.49 ea price over the 16 oz part of the cryo-vac. He suspects
that's what happened at Wally's too.

BOB