phyteach

Default Pork Brisket

Greetings,

Saw this in the local supermarket and just had to pick it up.
Now I don't know exactly what to do with it. The exact name on the
package is "pork spareribs brisket." Each piece is about 8" long and
2" wide and has bones in it. It almost appears as though the long side
of the cu is perpendicular to the rib bones. That is to say that when
looking at the long side of these cuts you are seeing a cross-section
of what appears to be rib bones. The meat appears well marbled.

So, do I cook it like a brisket (with shorter time due to being
indivdual small pieces) or more like ribs?

Scott

Brick

On 31-Jan-2005, "phyteach" > wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Saw this in the local supermarket and just had to pick it up.
> Now I don't know exactly what to do with it. The exact name on the
> package is "pork spareribs brisket." Each piece is about 8" long and
> 2" wide and has bones in it. It almost appears as though the long side
> of the cu is perpendicular to the rib bones. That is to say that when
> looking at the long side of these cuts you are seeing a cross-section
> of what appears to be rib bones. The meat appears well marbled.
>
> So, do I cook it like a brisket (with shorter time due to being
> indivdual small pieces) or more like ribs?
>
> Scott

What you describe sounds a lot like what we call country ribs. They
can be grilled or smoked. Rubbed or not. Treat them like you would
spareribs.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Matthew L. Martin

Brick wrote:
> On 31-Jan-2005, "phyteach" > wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>Saw this in the local supermarket and just had to pick it up.
>>Now I don't know exactly what to do with it. The exact name on the
>>package is "pork spareribs brisket." Each piece is about 8" long and
>>2" wide and has bones in it. It almost appears as though the long side
>>of the cu is perpendicular to the rib bones. That is to say that when
>>looking at the long side of these cuts you are seeing a cross-section
>>of what appears to be rib bones. The meat appears well marbled.
>>
>>So, do I cook it like a brisket (with shorter time due to being
>>indivdual small pieces) or more like ribs?
>>
>>Scott

> What you describe sounds a lot like what we call country ribs. They
> can be grilled or smoked. Rubbed or not. Treat them like you would
> spareribs.

What we call country ribs (which may be different from what you call
country ribs) are boston butts split lengthwise and cut into strips.
Treating them like spares is about right.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Piedmont

phyteach wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Saw this in the local supermarket and just had to pick it up.
> Now I don't know exactly what to do with it. The exact name on the
> package is "pork spareribs brisket." Each piece is about 8" long and
> 2" wide and has bones in it. It almost appears as though the long side
> of the cu is perpendicular to the rib bones. That is to say that when
> looking at the long side of these cuts you are seeing a cross-section
> of what appears to be rib bones. The meat appears well marbled.
>
> So, do I cook it like a brisket (with shorter time due to being
> indivdual small pieces) or more like ribs?
>
> Scott

Are they bones or are they like white cartilege? If cartilege then it
sounds like rib tips, some grocer's take spare rib, slice off the bones
to sell at a marked up price then sell the cutoff as "make up a cut
name" and sell them at a higher price. The tips are from the chest
muscle of the pork which attach to the ribs. Cook just like ribs.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

phyteach

They do look more carteliginous than bony, and there is about an equal
amount of meat on each side of the bone. They were only 1.19 / pound.
When I do them, I'll do em like spares an let you all know how it turns
out. Thanks for the advice.

Scott

Piedmont

phyteach wrote:
> They do look more carteliginous than bony, and there is about an equal
> amount of meat on each side of the bone. They were only 1.19 / pound.
> When I do them, I'll do em like spares an let you all know how it turns
> out. Thanks for the advice.
>
> Scott

The only difference from spares is that there will be no bone to poke
out to tell you they are done, but shouldn't take any longer to do then
bone/rib. Just have to feel 'em up to see if done!

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Gus

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> phyteach wrote:
> > They do look more carteliginous than bony, and there is about an equal
> > amount of meat on each side of the bone. They were only 1.19 / pound.
> > When I do them, I'll do em like spares an let you all know how it turns
> > out. Thanks for the advice.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> The only difference from spares is that there will be no bone to poke
> out to tell you they are done, but shouldn't take any longer to do then
> bone/rib. Just have to feel 'em up to see if done!
>
> --
> Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
> "The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
> http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
>
> Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
> Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/
>
> If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
> checked for radiation levels!

The replies to the query were all on the mark save for one of them. Those
pork "rib brisket" thingies have a lot of fat on them, too, so you might
have to take some steps to lessen the impact of that. As just about
everyone said, you Q them as though they were ribs. The local market where
I go here has a label on them that recommends "stewing" them. If you like
pork stew, that ought to work OK, but you are going to have lots and lots of
little bony cartilage things in your stew. Regular pork ribs are lots
easier to work with and to eat, but those "briskets" taste just fine if you
Q them as you should.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Redneck's Kitchen, Houston, Texas

phyteach

<snip>

> The replies to the query were all on the mark save for one of them.

Those
> pork "rib brisket" thingies have a lot of fat on them, too, so you

might
> have to take some steps to lessen the impact of that. As just about
> everyone said, you Q them as though they were ribs. The local market

where
> I go here has a label on them that recommends "stewing" them. If you

like
> pork stew, that ought to work OK, but you are going to have lots and

lots of
> little bony cartilage things in your stew. Regular pork ribs are

lots
> easier to work with and to eat, but those "briskets" taste just fine

if you
> Q them as you should.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Redneck's Kitchen, Houston, Texas

Thanks to all.

I put them in the Weber Kettle for about 4 hours at 220 to 240. They
were very tasty, fatty (as predicted by Gus) and not so meaty. After
eating them, I think what I had was the little bit of meat that clings
to the pigs sternum. Really not worth the effort IMHO, since I coulda
had a whole rack of spares for a little more money and no more time.
Lesson learned!

Piedmont

phyteach wrote:
> <snip>

snip
> I put them in the Weber Kettle for about 4 hours at 220 to 240. They
> were very tasty, fatty (as predicted by Gus) and not so meaty. After
> eating them, I think what I had was the little bit of meat that clings
> to the pigs sternum. Really not worth the effort IMHO, since I coulda
> had a whole rack of spares for a little more money and no more time.
> Lesson learned!

I know what your talking about, I been suckered into buying butchered
up ribs tips. You must of gotten a batch of butchered up tips cause if
you got real, unadulterated tips, they'd be loaded with meat.. Next time
you but whole rack of spare ribs. Cut along the bones in the center,
the part your cutting off are the tips, most doing spares leave it on
and think they are one thing, spares, but they are not, with spare you
get the ribs and the tips all in one. Also, if they were greasy then you
needed to cook them longer. Should be no greasy then the rib section.

--
Mike Willsey (Piedmont)
"The Practical Bar-B-Q'r!"
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Charities; Oxfam GB: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/about_us/index.htm,
Operation Smile: http://www.operationsmile.org/

If you or a loved one has thyroid issues, please have their thyroid
checked for radiation levels!

Piedmont

phyteach wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Saw this in the local supermarket and just had to pick it up.
> Now I don't know exactly what to do with it. The exact name on the
> package is "pork spareribs brisket." Each piece is about 8" long and
> 2" wide and has bones in it. It almost appears as though the long side
> of the cu is perpendicular to the rib bones. That is to say that when
> looking at the long side of these cuts you are seeing a cross-section
> of what appears to be rib bones. The meat appears well marbled.
>
> So, do I cook it like a brisket (with shorter time due to being
> indivdual small pieces) or more like ribs?
>
> Scott

I will post pictures of what good rib tips look like, next couple a days!