Kurt

Default Pork shoulder

I want to try a pork shoulder out on the gas grill. I hope to feed five
people
New Years day. any ideas? I mean how long to cook, and seasoning. I was
down to
Cabelas here in PA. I bought several marinate sauces and a plunger. Can I
make my own
marinate?

Kurt & Pam

Louis Cohen

Kurt wrote:
> I want to try a pork shoulder out on the gas grill. I hope to feed five
> people
> New Years day. any ideas? I mean how long to cook, and seasoning. I was
> down to
> Cabelas here in PA. I bought several marinate sauces and a plunger. Can I
> make my own
> marinate?
>
> Kurt & Pam

Figure about 1 1/2 hr per pound at 220-250°. I like a mustard slather
with salt, pepper, and garlic, and paprika or chili or chile powder.
Old Bay Seasoning works nicely two.
Kurt

Louis, do u make ur own marinate?
Kurt & Pam
"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Kurt wrote:
> > I want to try a pork shoulder out on the gas grill. I hope to feed five
> > people
> > New Years day. any ideas? I mean how long to cook, and seasoning. I

was
> > down to
> > Cabelas here in PA. I bought several marinate sauces and a plunger.

Can I
> > make my own
> > marinate?
> >
> > Kurt & Pam
> >

> Figure about 1 1/2 hr per pound at 220-250°. I like a mustard slather
> with salt, pepper, and garlic, and paprika or chili or chile powder.
> Old Bay Seasoning works nicely two.

Louis Cohen

Kurt wrote:
> Louis, do u make ur own marinate?
> Kurt & Pam
> "Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
>
>>Kurt wrote:
>>
>>>I want to try a pork shoulder out on the gas grill. I hope to feed five
>>>people
>>>New Years day. any ideas? I mean how long to cook, and seasoning. I

> was
>
>>>down to
>>>Cabelas here in PA. I bought several marinate sauces and a plunger.

> Can I
>
>>>make my own
>>>marinate?
>>>
>>>Kurt & Pam
>>>

>>Figure about 1 1/2 hr per pound at 220-250°. I like a mustard slather
>>with salt, pepper, and garlic, and paprika or chili or chile powder.
>>Old Bay Seasoning works nicely two.

Marinades are most effective on thin pieces of meat, when the marinade
can penetrate most of the thickness before the acid turns the meat to
mush - think of boneless chicken breasts, beef sliced thin for carne
asada, etc. No marinade will get very far in a pork shoulder - if you
marinate them for a long time the acid in the marinade will just make
the outside of the meat mushy.

When i do marinate, I usually make my own (red wine or wine vinegar and
garlic, usually), unless I have a gift bottle of something to use up.

For a pork shoulder, season the outside, cook it, and have a dipping
sauce at the table for those that like it. I used to enjoy my pork
butts with no sauce, but now, after pulling, I dress them with some
eastern NC sauce - cider vinegar, chile, s & P. Apple and pork have a
great synergy.

Pork Shoulder. Calvin Atwood Barbecue 30 04-09-2012 08:39 PM
Pork shoulder Gz Barbecue 13 08-07-2010 10:29 PM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 04:11 AM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 16-04-2005 05:41 AM
My First Pork Shoulder Loki666 Barbecue 10 13-07-2004 03:29 AM