Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Shoulder.

I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
tenderness). It also has the skin on.

I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
from the group.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.

Thanks,
Calvin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Mar-2012, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood wrote:
>
> > I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
> > been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
> > tenderness). It also has the skin on.
> >
> > I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
> > However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
> > boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
> > and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
> > from the group.
> >
> > So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.

> Lightly cross-hatch the fat cap all the way around, but don't remove
> it. Then treat it just as you would a butt. Injected/brined/doesn't
> matter much when it comes to a shoulder (as long as there's no
> phosphates in the brine).
>
> There's much more waste on a picnic shoulder than a butt portion, so
> be prapared for that. Expect to lose 45-50% of a 10lber when it's all
> said and done (smaller ones have even more waste).
>
> -sw

I get so frustrated by this terminology. A shoulder by definition must
include a joint. Therefore, there must be a portion above and below
the joint to constitute a shoulder. Typically this would be a picnic
connected to a butt. So what are we talking about here? Picnics
usually include skin, butts do not.

Be that as it may. Treat it like a butt. Cook it until it reaches your
preferred pulling temperature. Don't mess with the skin until it's
done. It doesn't really matter if it's a picnic a butt or a whole
pork shoulder, it will cook the same. It will be done when it
is done.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
wrote:
<Orig. message snipped>

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards removing the skin and
treating it like I would a butt.

The guy who gave it to me likes BBQ pulled pork and that is about all
he knows about it. I know a little more... The shoulder will see
smoke later in the week for pulled pork sandwiches on a fishing trip
some buddies and I have planned for this weekend.

I'll try to post the results next week. I can post the results of
fishing right now. Very few fish were caught, but a good time was had
by all.

Calvin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 20, 6:10*am, Calvin Atwood > wrote:
> I'll try to post the results next week. *I can post the results of
> fishing right now. *Very few fish were caught, but a good time was had
> by all.

Heh, good one.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

wrote:

>>> I'm going to guess that they're taking the bones and selling them
>>> as baby backs at elevated prices. Same store is getting $3.49 for
>>> the back ribs.
>>>

>> That's what they do around here. Cut the bones off and sell the
>> babybacks for $4.99/lb. But not to me!!!!

> That's why I was saying I'd pay a little more. Note that there is
> another part of the whole loin rack that gets trimmed off and used for
> ground pork. So the loin is not all baby and boneless loins - there
> is some waste that is not sold as either.
>
> So I'm saving them the time and trouble of making three different
> products out of one, and the extra packaging expenses.
>
> -sw

They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat
clerk "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me
some goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a
cost efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it
be more efficient to remove a bone?

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:54:50 -0500, bbq > wrote:

>They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat
>clerk "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me
>some goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a
>cost efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it
>be more efficient to remove a bone?
>
>BBQ

It can be. You pay by weight to ship. So if you have pieces of meat
coming from Iowa to either coast, you are paying to ship bones at the
same rate as what you pay for the prime cuts of meat. Locally, either
the butcher shop or consumer has to get rid of the bone.

As for cost, the price of boneless is higher, but do yo want to pay $4
a pound for a bone that will be tossed or $5 for all meat. Yes, bone
in has better cooking properties, but today, the average household
does not know or care.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>>> That's what they do around here. Cut the bones off and sell the
>>> babybacks for $4.99/lb. But not to me!!!!

>> That's why I was saying I'd pay a little more. Note that there is
>> another part of the whole loin rack that gets trimmed off and used for
>> ground pork. So the loin is not all baby and boneless loins - there
>> is some waste that is not sold as either.
>>
>> So I'm saving them the time and trouble of making three different
>> products out of one, and the extra packaging expenses.
>>
>> -sw

> They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat clerk
> "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me some
> goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a cost
> efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it be
> more efficient to remove a bone?
>
> BBQ

It's because the younger crowd has been brainwashed into thinking that
the bone contributes nothing to the party, so why pay for it. (Same
thinking that drives up the cost of chicken breast (easily the most
tasteless part of the bird) but keeps those wonderful thighs a bargain.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 3/22/2012 8:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:54:50 -0500, > wrote:
>

>> They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat
>> clerk "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me
>> some goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a
>> cost efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it
>> be more efficient to remove a bone?
>>
>> BBQ

> It can be. You pay by weight to ship. So if you have pieces of meat
> coming from Iowa to either coast, you are paying to ship bones at the
> same rate as what you pay for the prime cuts of meat. Locally, either
> the butcher shop or consumer has to get rid of the bone.
>
> As for cost, the price of boneless is higher, but do yo want to pay $4
> a pound for a bone that will be tossed or $5 for all meat. Yes, bone
> in has better cooking properties, but today, the average household
> does not know or care.

You make some valid points on the shipping costs and many don't know or
care about using a bone in a stew or chili. In the case of chuck beef,
I would think dog owners would like to give their dog a treat of beef
bone once in a while.

But they frequently sell bone in Pork Butts. Boneless to. But bone in
is common. I have cooked a boneless butt, but prefer the bone in.
Boneless is a PIA to get the butchers twine off after cooking. Lots of
nice bits of delicious pork gets stuck to the twine..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

wrote:

>>> That's why I was saying I'd pay a little more. Note that there is
>>> another part of the whole loin rack that gets trimmed off and used for
>>> ground pork. So the loin is not all baby and boneless loins - there
>>> is some waste that is not sold as either.
>>>
>>> So I'm saving them the time and trouble of making three different
>>> products out of one, and the extra packaging expenses.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat clerk
>> "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me some
>> goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a cost
>> efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it be
>> more efficient to remove a bone?
>>
>> BBQ

> It's because the younger crowd has been brainwashed into thinking that
> the bone contributes nothing to the party, so why pay for it. (Same
> thinking that drives up the cost of chicken breast (easily the most
> tasteless part of the bird) but keeps those wonderful thighs a bargain.)

So true. I see boneless/skinless breasts frequently. Occasionally, I
see thighs boneless/skinless. But skin on thighs with bone at 99 cents,
yea, I been liking them much more the last couple of years. Removing
the skin, if desired, is very easy. De-boning, not so easy for me.
Maybe I need a better knife.

The popularity of wings help subsidize the lower cost of thighs too. So
thanks to those of you who frequently buy wings, whether at the grocer
or at your favorite dine out place..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>>> They ruin chuck roasts to by selling them boneless. I asked a meat clerk
>>> "why do they ruin chuck roasts by removing the bone? He gave me some
>>> goofy answer (admitting he didn't really know) that he thinks a cost
>>> efficiency reason. Never did understand what he meant. How can it be
>>> more efficient to remove a bone?
>>>
>>> BBQ

>> It's because the younger crowd has been brainwashed into thinking that
>> the bone contributes nothing to the party, so why pay for it. (Same
>> thinking that drives up the cost of chicken breast (easily the most
>> tasteless part of the bird) but keeps those wonderful thighs a bargain.)

> So true. I see boneless/skinless breasts frequently. Occasionally, I see
> thighs boneless/skinless. But skin on thighs with bone at 99 cents, yea,
> I been liking them much more the last couple of years. Removing the
> skin, if desired, is very easy. De-boning, not so easy for me. Maybe I
> need a better knife.
>
> The popularity of wings help subsidize the lower cost of thighs too. So
> thanks to those of you who frequently buy wings, whether at the grocer
> or at your favorite dine out place..
>
> BBQ

Amen about the wings. The best way to de-bone a thigh is after it cooked.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:27:58 -0500, Shawn Martin
> wrote:

>> The popularity of wings help subsidize the lower cost of thighs too. So
>> thanks to those of you who frequently buy wings, whether at the grocer
>> or at your favorite dine out place..
>>
>> BBQ

>Amen about the wings. The best way to de-bone a thigh is after it cooked.

Years ago I could buy a bag of wings for 5¢ a pound. Then some
asshole in Buffalo ruined everything. I won't pay $2.49 a pound for
them.

Thighs are our most used here.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
>been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
>tenderness). It also has the skin on.
>
>I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
>However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
>boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
>and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
>from the group.
>
>So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.
>
>Thanks,
>Calvin

I make what is called pork picnic around here quite a lot, usually a
couple of 10-14 pounders. All I do is cross cut the skin into about 2
inch squares not going through all the fat, put it on the offset at
225-250 and smoke it heavy with hickory for the first 4-5 hours. Then
just let it cook until it hits 190 or so. I consider it done when the
bone is easily turned in the meat, regardless of the temp reading.
When it comes to the various shoulder cuts, it seems that pork is
pork, and all cooks about the same.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Apr-2012, mike > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
> wrote:
>
> >I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
> >been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
> >tenderness). It also has the skin on.
> >
> >I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
> >However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
> >boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
> >and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
> >from the group.
> >
> >So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Calvin

> I make what is called pork picnic around here quite a lot, usually a
> couple of 10-14 pounders. All I do is cross cut the skin into about 2
> inch squares not going through all the fat, put it on the offset at
> 225-250 and smoke it heavy with hickory for the first 4-5 hours. Then
> just let it cook until it hits 190 or so. I consider it done when the
> bone is easily turned in the meat, regardless of the temp reading.
> When it comes to the various shoulder cuts, it seems that pork is
> pork, and all cooks about the same.

Sounds like a plan. It works for me just like that every time Mike.
I would encourage you though to compare the recoverable meat
weight with the original weight the next time you cook a couple
of picnics. I think you will find that a more economical cut is the
butt. There is just too much loss with picnics compared to the
price paid. Even with butts, the loss is around 40% so you need
to keep that in mind. The per pound price on the plate can get
up there real quick.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 04:04:22 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 4-Apr-2012, mike > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
>> >been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
>> >tenderness). It also has the skin on.
>> >
>> >I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
>> >However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
>> >boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
>> >and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
>> >from the group.
>> >
>> >So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Calvin

>> I make what is called pork picnic around here quite a lot, usually a
>> couple of 10-14 pounders. All I do is cross cut the skin into about 2
>> inch squares not going through all the fat, put it on the offset at
>> 225-250 and smoke it heavy with hickory for the first 4-5 hours. Then
>> just let it cook until it hits 190 or so. I consider it done when the
>> bone is easily turned in the meat, regardless of the temp reading.
>> When it comes to the various shoulder cuts, it seems that pork is
>> pork, and all cooks about the same.

>Sounds like a plan. It works for me just like that every time Mike.
>I would encourage you though to compare the recoverable meat
>weight with the original weight the next time you cook a couple
>of picnics. I think you will find that a more economical cut is the
>butt. There is just too much loss with picnics compared to the
>price paid. Even with butts, the loss is around 40% so you need
>to keep that in mind. The per pound price on the plate can get
>up there real quick.

I'll do that next time I make a couple. I'd have to check prices this
year to see how much cheaper the picnics are vs. other cuts. The wife
usually buys them and say they are significantly cheaper, but even if
they turn out to be 30% cheaper and I am losing 40% of the product, I
still come out at a loss. I appreciate the suggestion.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:10:06 -0500, Calvin Atwood >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
>wrote:
><Orig. message snipped>
>
>Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards removing the skin and
>treating it like I would a butt.
>
>The guy who gave it to me likes BBQ pulled pork and that is about all
>he knows about it. I know a little more... The shoulder will see
>smoke later in the week for pulled pork sandwiches on a fishing trip
>some buddies and I have planned for this weekend.
>
>I'll try to post the results next week. I can post the results of
>fishing right now. Very few fish were caught, but a good time was had
>by all.
>
>Calvin

I skinned the damn thing, cut the skin into strips and deep-fried them
for dog treats.

The meat came out OK and pulled nicely. The cook took longer than
expected and there was a lot of shrinkage. My dogs enjoyed the bones.

The guy who supplied the shoulder made a few comments that it wasn't
as good as it usually was. I pointed out that I had requested a Butt,
but the guy who bought it couldn't read and had purchased a shoulder.

Also, the packer had also made a mistake - it was a ham. I hadn't
paid much attention until I started pulling. Only then did I notice
that I had just removed the meat from a ham bone. I don't understand
how I missed that. Perhaps because I was irritated that I wasn't
looking at a couple of butts.

I had a nice vinegar sauce made up, from a recipe that I had picked up
here in the past. Two of us loved it, the others slathered the meat
with very sweet tomato based store bought stuff that completely
overwhelmed the taste of the meat. Tastes differ.

Fishing was about as expected. The weather was nice although we did
get a shower one morning just at daybreak. Some nice Channel Cat and
Crappie were caught, but nothing to brag about.

Calvin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 04:04:22 +0000, Brick wrote:

> On 4-Apr-2012, mike > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood <Calvin Atwood>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
>> >been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
>> >tenderness). It also has the skin on.
>> >
>> >I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
>> >However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
>> >boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
>> >and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
>> >from the group.
>> >
>> >So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Calvin

>> I make what is called pork picnic around here quite a lot, usually a
>> couple of 10-14 pounders. All I do is cross cut the skin into about 2
>> inch squares not going through all the fat, put it on the offset at
>> 225-250 and smoke it heavy with hickory for the first 4-5 hours. Then
>> just let it cook until it hits 190 or so. I consider it done when the
>> bone is easily turned in the meat, regardless of the temp reading. When
>> it comes to the various shoulder cuts, it seems that pork is pork, and
>> all cooks about the same.

> Sounds like a plan. It works for me just like that every time Mike.
> I would encourage you though to compare the recoverable meat weight with
> the original weight the next time you cook a couple of picnics. I think
> you will find that a more economical cut is the butt. There is just too
> much loss with picnics compared to the price paid. Even with butts, the
> loss is around 40% so you need to keep that in mind. The per pound price
> on the plate can get up there real quick.

Kind of a late follow up to this post. Had a hard drive crash a few
months ago and just now setting up a news reader.

Anyway, I've done a few butts and picnics, and comparing pre-cooking
weight vs usable meat weight after cooking I am getting about the same
45% loss (give or take) on both pork cuts. Since the shrinkage (I hate
to use that term - shudder HA!) is about the same, I just go with
whichever happens to be cheapest at the time. It might make a bigger
difference for anyone who doesn't keep any of the skin.

Just wanted to share what I found with the scale.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Martin[_13_] View Post
On 3/22/2012 2:54 PM, bbq wrote:
On 3/22/2012 1:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:45:36 -0500, bbq wrote:

On 3/22/2012 11:53 AM, wrote:
On 20-Mar-2012,
ost wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:57:23 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

Uh-hem! Icks-nay on the alk-tay about icken-chay ighs-thay. Let's keep the prices to the good parts low, so they don't become fashionable and skyrocket like ribs and wings have done.

You can always reause a bone when making beans or some other soup stew.

I like to make a stock of it and braise veggies to go along side mucho meat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

> "monroe, of course" > wrote:

> > I also add water to my brine.

> what kind. I tried Perrier, but didn't work and tap water is too plain

For you? I'd suggest tritiated O-18 and some plutonium ice cubes.

monroe(IOW,HOT water)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"monroe, of course" <magenta knowyerchicken.org> wrote:

> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bugged invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> "monroe, of course" <magenta knowyerchicken.org> wrote:

>>> I also add water to my brine.

>> what kind. I tried Perrier, but didn't work and tap water is
>> too plain

> For you? I'd suggest tritiated O-18 and some plutonium ice
> cubes.

TROLL SLAP!

--

> monroe(IOW,HOT water)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, John Doe >
wrote:

> "monroe, of course" <magenta knowyerchicken.org> wrote:

> >> what kind. I tried Perrier, but didn't work and tap water is
> >> too plain

> > For you? I'd suggest tritiated O-18 and some plutonium ice
> > cubes.

> TROLL SLAP!

you must be used to them by now
Banned

First Class Foods Inc provides the highest quality on Pork product Processing.

Pork shoulder Gz Barbecue 13 08-07-2010 10:29 PM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 04:11 AM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 16-04-2005 05:41 AM
Pork shoulder Kurt Barbecue 3 26-12-2004 07:16 PM
My First Pork Shoulder Loki666 Barbecue 10 13-07-2004 03:29 AM