Loki666

Default My First Pork Shoulder

Hey all,
I've been checking out the board for about a week and thought I
would
share my first experience with q'ing a pork shoulder. Equipment wise I
used a 22 1/2 weber gold one-touch kettle setup for indirect grilling
with a large drip pan in the middle. Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.

Friday night I picked up a 7lb pork shoulder bone-in and used a bbq
rub
I got from Steve Raichlen's How to BBQ book.

1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

Sprinkled the rub on, patted it in and put it in the fridge to
sit(covered of course).

Pork sat for about 12 hours.

Next morning aroung 10:30 heated up some charcoal and got the grill up
to around 275-300(recipe called for 300) degrees and put the shoulder
on
and threw in some hickory chips socked in water. Every Hour I used a
mop
sauce made of cider vinegar, coarse salt, pepper, brown sugar,
jalepeno
peppers and onions on the shoulder. About every hour I heated another
another batch of charcoal to keep the heat alive and added more
hickory
chips.

Cooked the pork shoulder for a total of 6 hours. During the cooking
process the grill temps bounced from 250 degrees to 325 degrees, but
for
the most part hung right around the low side of 300.

At the end of 6 hours(internal temp of 190 or so) I brought pork
shoulder in and let it sit for 15
minutes loosely covered in tin foil. That was the longest 15 minutes
of
my life. The whole house smelled like hickory smoked meat. The
shoulder
had a beautiful dark crust on it. I decided to pull the pork and mix
it
with some bbq sauce for sandwiches. I made to different sauces. One
was
a thin vinegar sauce and the other was a thicker ketchup based sauce
made with apple jelly. Pulling the pork was amazing, it had a nice
smoke
ring and pulled apart so easy. The meat was tender and tasted amazing,
the crust was also so good. After burning my hands for awhile pulling
the pork(that sounds so wrong) I made two separate batches of pulled
pork, set out the buns, cole slaw, baked beans. deviled eggs and
lemonade. Then the four of us devoured almost all of the pulled pork,
the cole slaw piled on top of the pulled pork was delicious. My 180lb
mastiff enjoyed the little that was left very much. Now my parents
want
me to make more to take down the beach. I guess that's a good thing.

Things to do next time: Look into finding another source of lump
charcoal in Bucks county area. Don't drop a hot coal into the grease
filled drip pan. Need a table near the grill. Beer.

Thanks for listening,

Loki666
Jason in Dallas

"Loki666" > wrote in message
om...
> Cooked the pork shoulder for a total of 6 hours. During the cooking
> process the grill temps bounced from 250 degrees to 325 degrees, but
> for
> the most part hung right around the low side of 300.
>
> At the end of 6 hours(internal temp of 190 or so) I brought pork
> shoulder in and let it sit for 15
> minutes loosely covered in tin foil.

Something to try in the futu shoot for a lower temperature and smoke
until it hits 190. This will hold the meat at collagen-rendering
temperatures for longer period and (many folks believe) result in a more
tender and suculent result. 225F is probably the most common smoking
temperature. If you invest in a Weber Smokey Mountain it will hold this temp
for a half day without any intervention on your part.

By the way congratulations!

bbq

Loki666 wrote:
> [...]
> made with apple jelly. Pulling the pork was amazing, it had a nice
> smoke
> ring and pulled apart so easy. The meat was tender and tasted amazing,
> the crust was also so good. After burning my hands for awhile pulling
> the pork(that sounds so wrong) I made two separate batches of pulled
> pork, set out the buns, cole slaw, baked beans. deviled eggs and
> lemonade. Then the four of us devoured almost all of the pulled pork,
> the cole slaw piled on top of the pulled pork was delicious. My 180lb
> mastiff enjoyed the little that was left very much. Now my parents
> want
> me to make more to take down the beach. I guess that's a good thing.
>
> Things to do next time: Look into finding another source of lump
> charcoal in Bucks county area. Don't drop a hot coal into the grease
> filled drip pan. Need a table near the grill. Beer.

Sounds like you done good. Congratualtions!!!!!!! Saucing every hour or
so is not something that is done by many around here. Heck, some get
the cooker ready, add the meat and go to sleep for a bit. And, as you
know, some have beer during the cook too :-) But if you got a great
result, that is the most important part.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

> Loki666

frohe

Loki666 wrote:
> Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
> find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.

Visit www.doitbest.com and hit the store locator button. Do It Best
carries Royal Oak. The store closest to you may already have it in
stock or can definitely order it in in about a week.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Douglas Barber

> Loki,
>
> Check your local Wally World for their "Real Flavor" brand of lump. If
> you can't find it locally, make the trip over to Lancaster, and stock up
> here.
>
> Jason

Strange thing where I live...in addition to one of the two local Wally's
no longer carrying packer cut briskets, neither any longer carries their
"Real Flavor" lump....only lump to be had this year at either store was
10lb "Chef-Wagon" brand and they're having a closeout sale on that right
now, just under $4/bag.

frohe wrote:

> Loki666 wrote:
>
>>Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
>>find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.

Also, check the local Agway (both of the ones near me- over the river in
NJ- carry Royal Oak), Genuardi's (they carry Lazzari Mesquite and
usually another brand of hardwood lump), some Pathmark's have Royal Oak,
Home Depots sometimes have boxes of New Braunfels, I've seen some brand
or 'nother of lump in Lowe's too.

frohe

kilikini wrote:
> I eagerly jumped on the doitbest.com site to see if there's > a

store by me, but, there isn't.

Sorry, kido.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Loki666

"frohe" > wrote in message >...
> Loki666 wrote:
> > Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
> > find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.

> Visit www.doitbest.com and hit the store locator button. Do It Best
> carries Royal Oak. The store closest to you may already have it in
> stock or can definitely order it in in about a week.

I checked out www.doitbest.com and found that there is a store 5 miles
from my house. Gonna check it out this weekend.

Thanks for all the responses. I am fairly proud of myself being that
this is only the second thing I have ever cooked over charcoal.
Gonna work on getting the grill to hold a lower temp, holding 300 was
not that bad.
Thx everyone,
Loki
Loki666

bbq > wrote in message news:<HReEc.172698$3x.46783@attbi_s54>...
> Loki666 wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I've been checking out the board for about a week and thought I
> > would
> > share my first experience with q'ing a pork shoulder. Equipment wise I
> > used a 22 1/2 weber gold one-touch kettle setup for indirect grilling
> > with a large drip pan in the middle. Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
> > find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.

Snip'd for brevity's sake

> Sounds like you done good. Congratualtions!!!!!!! Saucing every hour or
> so is not something that is done by many around here. Heck, some get
> the cooker ready, add the meat and go to sleep for a bit. And, as you
> know, some have beer during the cook too :-) But if you got a great
> result, that is the most important part.
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ
>

> > Loki666

I look forward to experimenting with this recipe alot.
The funny things is the week before I cooked this I was at the
phillies game and tried a Bull's BBQ pulled pork sandwich and thought
it was tasty. Then I went to a game again last nite and the thought of
eating one again after having the one I made last weekend made my
stomach churn.

TFM®

Loki666 wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've been checking out the board for about a week and thought I
> would
> share my first experience with q'ing a pork shoulder. Equipment wise I
> used a 22 1/2 weber gold one-touch kettle setup for indirect grilling
> with a large drip pan in the middle. Cowboy lump charcoal(all I could
> find here in Bucks County PA) and hickory wood chips.
>
> Friday night I picked up a 7lb pork shoulder bone-in and used a bbq
> rub
> I got from Steve Raichlen's How to BBQ book.

Heresy! A 7 lb shoulder would have to have come from a 70 lb. pig. They
don't part 'em out at that size.

You bought a picnic or a butt.

I'm not talking down to you when I say this, but a lot of people are
confused on the issue of a whole shoulder versus a picnic and a Boston butt.

A whole shoulder is a boston butt *and* a picnic ham still joined. Picture
the whole front quarter off the pig.

The average size is about 20 inches long, 10 inches wide at the butt end and
about 6 inches deep there, tapering down to the hamhocks on the picnic, and
we all know how big hamhocks are. <G>

OTOH, *real* hamhocks come from the back leg of the pig (hawg)

A whole shoulder should weigh from 12 to 18 lbs.

It's the grocery store's fault. They commonly misname a picnic ham (front,
bottom leg) as a picnic shoulder.

Here's a groovy site -
http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cut...tive_chart.htm

You can even learn how to butcher a hawg here!

Baby back ribs ain't mentioned on the first page, gotta click on "loin" to
get there.

TFM®

Pork Shoulder. Calvin Atwood Barbecue 30 04-09-2012 08:39 PM
Pork shoulder Gz Barbecue 13 08-07-2010 10:29 PM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 7 19-04-2005 04:11 AM
Pork shoulder Lew/+Silat Barbecue 0 16-04-2005 05:41 AM
Pork shoulder Kurt Barbecue 3 26-12-2004 06:16 PM