Woogeroo

Default Cookin' a few wingso n old style BGE

Old stlye BGE(big green egg)

I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.

Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
on some sauce or some rubs ?

If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
wise - roughly?

I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.

These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.

Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.

take care,

-W

-Woogeroo

<- remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...
Jack Curry

"Woogeroo" > wrote in message

> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
>
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
>
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
>
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
>
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
>
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
>
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.
>
> take care,
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

I like to marinate them in Mojo Criollo overnight, then smoke 'em for 45
minutes to an hour at about 250. You'll be able to tell when they're done
just by looking, but if you're not sure, pick one up and pull it apart.
It's easy to pull? It's done.
You can also just S&P 'em before cooking, then when done, put 'em in a big
bowl and toss with whatever sauce you like. Personally, I like them plain
(S&P) with just the smoke talkin'.

Jack Curry

Woogeroo > wrote:
> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.

Woogeroo,
I've got a couple of recipes for chicken wings. The first two are for
grillin', the third is for Thai stuffed chicken wings, wok cooked. For
family, kids, etc. Buffalo Wings are nice, especially with the Bleu Cheese
Dressing. If yer cookin' for chile-heads, Wings of Death is the way ta go.
For an appetizer, ya can't beat stuffed chicken wings if ya've got the
time. This (not her exact recipe, but close) is one of my wife's signature
dishes!

******************************
Lucky Trim's Buffalo Wings

24 chicken wings
1/2 Cup oil
1/4 Cup dry red wine or tarragon vinegar
1 tsp Tabasco. sauce [to taste, I use Habanero Sauce]]
1 tsp. garlic salt [to taste, I use minced garlic + s&p]
1 Cup bleu cheese dressing
celery sticks for dipping

Mix oil, wine, Tabasco. sauce and garlic powder. Marinate wings for at
least 1 hour. Bake wings at 400°F for 20 minutes. Pour off any liquids.
Bring marinade up to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Baste with
marinade and broil until brown (5-10 minutes.) Turn over; baste and broil
again. [smoking at 250°F, at the grate, should be fine] Serve with celery
sticks and cold bleu cheese dressing. For a sweeter sauce, add 1 pkg Brown
Sugar Twin to marinade. Makes 8 Servings.

Bleu cheese dressing

I couldn't find my recipe, but it ain't rocket science. As I recall, it was
mayonnaise, sour cream and bleu cheese, with onion, celery and garlic
powders, dry mustard and s&p. With a cup each of mayo and sour cream, one
cup (1/4 lb?) of crumbled bleu should be plenty

********************
Wings of Death

4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons honey
10 tablespoons Tabasco or hot sauce
3 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, finely minced
2 tablespoons spicy mustard
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Marinade wings for about 3 - 4 hours in equal parts Tabasco, and Soy sauce
and some olive oil. [I like to add some minced garlic to the marinade and
the sauce) Cook on grill for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Heat sauce ingredients above until bubbling (should be fairly thick).
Remove wings from heat when they can easily be pulled apart at the joints
and coat with sauce.

Asian Coleslaw

6 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons golden brown sugar (packed)
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 large red or yellow bell peppers, julienned
2 medium carrots, julienned
8 large green onions, julienned
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk first 7 ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Just before serving, add dressing and toss to coat.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.

**************************
Stuffed Chicken Wings (Peed Gai Sod Sai) [long]

NOTE: If you're serving it as an appetizer, slice the pieces half as thick
as for a main course]

NOTE 2: Begin the dish way in advance, 'cause boning is time-consuming the
first few times a do it.

NOTE 3: The batter can also be used for deep-frying other meats and veggie.

Boning chicken wings:

Practice will improve your technique and speed. If your market removes the
wing-tips, shop elsewhere.

1. If possible, select wings that have relatively loose skins, which makes
it easier to manipulate the bones, skin, meat and knife.

2. Make sure that your knife is VERY sharp, and preferably has a narrow,
curved blade, like a boning knife.

3. Bring the wings to room temperature. The meat and skin of cold wings are
more difficult to handle.

4. Hold a wing vertically, with the part that was attached to the body
pointing up. Cut carefully around the bone to sever all tendons. There are
several tendons, so make sure you get all of them.

5. Scrape the meat back from the bone, holding the knife blade close to the
bone and being careful to not puncture the skin. Or push the meat from the
bone with your fingers, working down towards the elbow. As you work down,
fold the skin back on the part of the wing you haven't reached yet, like
turning a balloon inside-out. Continue turning it inside-out as you work.
When you finish, the wing will be inside-out.

6. When you reach the elbow, examine to see how the skin is attached. Cut
and peel carefully to loosen the skin, meat and tendons. This is where
you're most likely to puncture the skin. After the skin and tendons have
been cut and pulled from the bone and elbow, remove the bone by bending the
joint gently backwards and pulling it out with a twisting motion. Be
careful not to break the bones in the second section.

7. Use the same procedure for loosening the skin, meat and tendons on the
next section of bone.

8. When you reach the next joint, remove the bones by twisting as described
in Step 6, above. It's easier to remove the small bone first, as that gives
you more room to maneuver the large one.

9. At this point, the chicken wing will be folded inside-out. Find the tip
of the wing and pull it carefully through the boned wing to position the
skin on the outside. Check for tiny holes to see where you may have cut or
poked through the skin, so you'll have an idea of how to not make that same
mistake again. If there are some holes, don't worry about them.

See 'Ahead -of-time' note below.

******************************

Ingredients: (Serves 6 to 8)

6 chicken wings

2 oz. bean threads
1 cup warm water

2 Tbs finely chopped coriander root ( or bottom 1" of cilantro stems)
1 Tbs. finely chopped garlic

½ lb. ground chicken
1-1/2 Tbs. fish sauce (nam pla)
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 to 1 cup thick coconut milk
3 Tbs. Red Lime Liquid (see below)
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbs. egg white (optional)
vegetable oil for deep frying

Garlic Sauce (see below)

1. Bone the chicken wings as above.

2. Soak the bean threads in warm water for 10 minutes. They should be
pliable, but firm.

3. Pound or grind the coriander root and garlic to a coarse paste in a
mortar, blender or food processor. If you use a blender, you may have to
add the fish sauce here.

4. Drain the bean threads thoroughly and cut them into 1" pieces. Set
aside.

5. Mix the ground chicken, paste from Step 3, fish sauce (if you didn't use
it above). bean threads, egg yolk and white pepper thoroughly.

6. Divide the mixture into 6 portions and stuff the chicken wings with it,
making sure it goes all the way to the end of the wings. Massaging the
wings from the outside helps get the stuffing in completely. If the wings
have a few small holes in them, don't worry about it, but try to keep the
stuffing from poking out. You don't need to tie or skewer the opening at
the end.

Ahead-of-time note: The wings can be prepared up to this point up to a day
in advance. Refrigerate, covered, and bring to room temperature before
continuing.

7. Combine the flour, coconut milk, red lime liquid, salt and pepper to
form a smooth batter. (Beat the optional egg white until stiff, but not
dry, and fold it in.)

8. Heat 1-1/2" oil to 375 F. in a wok or deep skillet. Dip the stuffed
wings in the batter, one at a time and deep-fry them 'till they're
golden-brown. Don't over-crowd the pan or the wings won't brown properly.
Drain the fried wings on paper towels.

9. Slice the wings diagonally into pieces about ½" thick. Serve hot, warm
or at room temperature with Garlic Sauce.

*************************

Red Lime Liquid

Put a 3.5 oz. pkg. of Red Lime Paste (available in Thai/Asian markets) into
a one quart jar and fill with water. Shake or stir well and let it sit for
at least 30 minutes before using. Replace liquid removed and shake. Can be
kept indefinitely in the pantry, repeating this procedure, 'til the residue
has turned pale, almost white.

**************************

Garlic Sauce (Nam Jim Gratiem)

Makes 3/4 cup

½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground chili paste
2 tsp. (4 cloves) finely chopped garlic
½ tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan and boil
slowly until volume is reduced by half. It will thicken more as it cools.
Recommended room temperature consistency is a little thinner than unwhipped
heavy cream. Adjust by adding water or additional boiling, 'til you've got
what you like.

Use immediately or store in a covered jar in the 'fridge for up to two
months. Bring to room temperature before using.

Recipes from my bible: "Thai Home-Cooking from Kamolmal's Kitchen".

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Woogeroo > wrote:
> [...]

Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan and boil
slowly until volume is reduced by half. It will thicken more as it cools.
Recommended room temperature consistency is a little thinner than unwhipped
heavy cream. Adjust by adding water or additional boiling, 'til you've got
what you like.

Use immediately or store in a covered jar in the 'fridge for up to two
months. Bring to room temperature before using.

Recipes from my bible: "Thai Home-Cooking from Kamolmal's Kitchen".

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!
Celebrate Bill of Rights Day, 12/15 http://www.saf.org/viewpr.asp?id=134
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
Piedmont

Woogeroo wrote:
> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
>
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
>
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
>
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
>
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
>
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
>
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.
>
> take care,
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

I use this all the time, 2 tablespoos each, Parika, Salt, Granulated
garlic, granulated onion, 1 tablespoon each of ground cayenne pepper,
ground black pepper. Mix all well, can be applied quite liberally, or as
I would do,deliberatly applyit heavy. I made tis mix so's it would e
cosistantly easy to apply and not betoo hot nortoo salty.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Piedmont

Woogeroo wrote:
> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
>
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
>
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
>
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
>
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
>
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
>
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.
>
> take care,
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

I use this all the time, 2 tablespoos each, Parika, Salt, Granulated
garlic, granulated onion, 1 tablespoon each of ground cayenne pepper,
ground black pepper. Mix all well, can be applied quite liberally, or as
I would do,deliberatly applyit heavy. I made tis mix so's it would e
cosistantly easy to apply and not betoo hot nortoo salty.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw
(AMWILCOMPORIUMNET) (@ between L&C, dot between M&N)
Clifford Payne

I do them with the same dry rub I use on ribs. People love them that way.
Paul Kirk has a Jerk seasoning rub that is really, really tasty.

If I sauce them, I use my standard tomato based sauce, adapted from the
Cowtown Cookers sauce recipe in Rich Davis book on barbecue.

But folks sure do love them dry!
cliff, from pgh

"Woogeroo" > wrote in message

> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
>
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
>
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
>
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
>
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
>
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
>
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.
>
> take care,
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Clifford Payne

"Woogeroo" > wrote in message

> Old stlye BGE(big green egg)
>
> I got some chickens wings to cook up this week.
>
> Any tips? I've never cooked just the wings before... any suggestions
> on some sauce or some rubs ?
>
> If I smoke 'em between 200-250 dome temp, what am I looking at time
> wise - roughly?
>
> I know they are done when they are done, just dont' wanan toast them.
>
> These wings look like the wings off of a 4.5-7 pound chicken.
>
> Anyway, just fishing for a few pointers.
>
> take care,
>
> -W
>
> -Woogeroo

> <- remove NOBS to send email.
>
> Woogeroo's Simple Smoking Page:

http://woogeroo.home.mindspring.com/wsp/

> smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo

Here is what I did.

wings

salt

black pepper

onion powder

garlic powder

smoked @ 250 dome temp on old stlye BGE

for about 40-50 mins

took off the smoke and put it in a pan.

sprinkled parmesean cheese over the whoel batch.

man, I shoulda got soem beer. this is good.

Thanks folks.

I'm gonan try some of thsoe recipes ya'll suggested.

Woogeroo > wrote:
> []
> man, I shoulda got soem beer. this is good.

You didn't have beer??? "Tie me Woogeroo down, boys! Tie me Woogeroo down!"

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
JBSummer

My favorite grill food on the Kamado. I like to baste them with just Texas
Pete mixed with fresh ground pepper.