bk

Default hound's brine need some clarification

I'm brining as we speak without sugar. I had printed Hound's Citrus brine
recipe out at least a year ago. Now I'm noticing some posts and web listings
calling for 3/4 cup brown sugar. My original doesn't call for the sugar.
Should I have included it and what happens when i don't.
This link calls for sugar: (and olive oil)
http://www.cooking-forum.net/cooking...y_1078621.html

This link calls for no sugar: http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm

Clarification would be appreciated.

Louis Cohen

I think all brines need some sweetener or else the product will be very,
very salty. The most common basic brine is:

Per gallon of water:

1 cup kosher salt (or 1/2 cup table salt)
1 cup sugar (or your choice of sweetener, brown sugar, molasses, honey,
etc.)
spices/flavors you like

I did a 20.5 lb'er yesterday in 3 gallons of Hound's brine, more or less,
rest his soul. Our lime tree is is full of ripe fruit, so I used all limes.
I'll let it soak 2 days; tomorrow AM I'll decant the bird and put it back in
the 'fridge to dry and make a crisp skin.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"bk" > wrote in message
> I'm brining as we speak without sugar. I had printed Hound's Citrus brine
> recipe out at least a year ago. Now I'm noticing some posts and web
> listings calling for 3/4 cup brown sugar. My original doesn't call for the
> sugar. Should I have included it and what happens when i don't.
> This link calls for sugar: (and olive oil)
> http://www.cooking-forum.net/cooking...y_1078621.html
>
> This link calls for no sugar: http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm
>
> Clarification would be appreciated.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:54:08 -0800, "Louis Cohen"
> wrote:

>Our lime tree is is full of ripe fruit,

You must realize that such statements fill many of us with seething
envy.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho

Hound's Brine tranch Barbecue 6 29-04-2005 06:29 AM
Fat Man and Hound Brine Rick Simms Barbecue 44 22-07-2004 09:37 PM
Hound's Citrus Brine Tyler Hopper Barbecue 10 01-04-2004 06:21 PM
Hound's Citrus Brine JohnG Barbecue 5 26-12-2003 03:28 AM
Questions on Hound's Brine Barry Barbecue 3 17-11-2003 06:00 PM