Tyler Hopper

Default Hound's Citrus Brine

I've been using TFM's legendary brine for a long time. I love it. However, the
family doesn't & I think it's because of the Dave's Total Insanity Sauce.

Yesterday I cooked a chicken on the K having brined it for ~36 hrs. (by
accident) in Hound's brine. Too good. Everybody in the house said it was the
best they've ever eaten.

Can't say I prefer one or the other. Both are very good and very different.

_________
ht_redneck

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> I've been using TFM's legendary brine for a long time. I love it. However,

the
> family doesn't & I think it's because of the Dave's Total Insanity Sauce.
>
> Yesterday I cooked a chicken on the K having brined it for ~36 hrs. (by
> accident) in Hound's brine. Too good. Everybody in the house said it was

the
> best they've ever eaten.
>
> Can't say I prefer one or the other. Both are very good and very

different.

> _________
> ht_redneck

I ain't seen no pics of that on abf....well?
Jack

Randy

Can you post those brine recipes? -RP

Duwop

Randy wrote:
> Can you post those brine recipes? -RP

Here's both of em in one post:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ci....barbecue+auth
or:Cuchulain+author:Libby&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=vYCY5.8831%24wo2.167300%40
typhoon.austin.rr.com&rnum=3&filter=0>

frohe

Randy wrote:
> Can you post those brine recipes? -RP

Hound's Brine
2 gal water
2 cups kosher salt
3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 each juice of 3 oranges
1 each juice of 3 limes
1 each juice of 3 lemons
1 each rinds from oranges, limes and lemons
1 sliced white onion
1 head of garlic, crushed
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
4 serranos to taste
2 tbs rough ground cumin
2 tbs rough ground coriander
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder

Either way, soak bird for at least a day as much as 3. I use a Gott 5 gal
bev cooler. Use an 8 lb bag of ice in place of 1 gal water. Place only
aromatics in cavity...bay leaves, garlic heads, apples, citrus, rosemary
stems. I like to place orange slices between skin and meat. Smoke ass end
towards fire for 45 minutes/lb @ 225. You can rotate as charring
necessitates. This will result in inedible skin. If you like skin, cook @
300ish. A bigger bird is a higher bird which means the top of the bird will
cook at a higher temp. Keep this in mind. Your first bird should be a 14
lber.

TFM's Brine
1 gal water
5/8 cups pickling salt.
1 1/2 tbs light brown sugar
1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs chili powder
1/2 tbs ground sage
1 tbs crushed red pepper
1/2 tbs fresh black pepper
2 whole bay leaves
1/2 tbs old bay seasoning
1 tbs italian seasoning

Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat down
to a simmer. Simmer and stir frequently until all the ingredients are
dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature before immersing the meat.
Use for 2 chickens
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Tyler Hopper

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> > I've been using TFM's legendary brine for a long time. I love it. However,

> the
> > family doesn't & I think it's because of the Dave's Total Insanity Sauce.
> >
> > Yesterday I cooked a chicken on the K having brined it for ~36 hrs. (by
> > accident) in Hound's brine. Too good. Everybody in the house said it was

> the
> > best they've ever eaten.
> >
> > Can't say I prefer one or the other. Both are very good and very

> different.
> >
> > _________
> > ht_redneck
> >

> I ain't seen no pics of that on abf....well?
> Jack

Digicam impaired. The old Kodak is down for the count.

_________ht_redneck

Jack Sloan

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> > > I've been using TFM's legendary brine for a long time. I love it.

However,
> > the
> > > family doesn't & I think it's because of the Dave's Total Insanity

Sauce.

> > > Yesterday I cooked a chicken on the K having brined it for ~36 hrs.

(by
> > > accident) in Hound's brine. Too good. Everybody in the house said it

was
> > the
> > > best they've ever eaten.
> > >
> > > Can't say I prefer one or the other. Both are very good and very

> > different.
> > >
> > > _________
> > > ht_redneck
> > >

> > I ain't seen no pics of that on abf....well?
> > Jack

> Digicam impaired. The old Kodak is down for the count.
>
> _________ht_redneck

Havin' no camera is like bein' nekkid.
Jack

Randy

Thanks guys. -RP

Tyler Hopper

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message

> However,
> > > the

> Sauce.

> (by

> was
> > > the

> > > different.

> > > I ain't seen no pics of that on abf....well?
> > > Jack

> > Digicam impaired. The old Kodak is down for the count.
> >
> > _________ht_redneck
> >

> Havin' no camera is like bein' nekkid.
> Jack

And you _really_ don't want to see that.

_________
ht_redneck

Chef Juke

Hey!

One of the versions of Hound's brine posted says "1 Gallon Water", the
other says 2.

Which is right?

Tyler Hopper

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> One of the versions of Hound's brine posted says "1 Gallon Water", the
> other says 2.
>
> Which is right?

I saw that too plus it said 2C of salt. I used the 1G water & 1 C of salt
version. Very satisfied.

_________
ht_redneck

Hound's Brine tranch Barbecue 6 29-04-2005 06:29 AM
hound's brine need some clarification bk Barbecue 2 24-11-2004 03:01 PM
Fat Man and Hound Brine Rick Simms Barbecue 44 22-07-2004 09:37 PM
Hound's Citrus Brine JohnG Barbecue 5 26-12-2003 03:28 AM
Questions on Hound's Brine Barry Barbecue 3 17-11-2003 06:00 PM