Posted to alt.food.barbecue
OMB OMB is offline

Default What is a good mop applicator?

I need a good applicator to put my mop (basting liquid) on meat while
cueing. I have used the rag type (a bunch of strings on a wooden handle),
but this type stains badly, and even after soaking in soapy water, never
looks clean. Have also used a pastry brush, which has similar problem, plus
too small. Can't find anything else at a barbecue store, so was wondering
about using a nylon bristle paint brush.

Does anyone see any problems with this, have any experience, or suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
I need a good applicator to put my mop (basting liquid) on meat while
cueing. I have used the rag type (a bunch of strings on a wooden handle),
but this type stains badly, and even after soaking in soapy water, never
looks clean. Have also used a pastry brush, which has similar problem, plus
too small. Can't find anything else at a barbecue store, so was wondering
about using a nylon bristle paint brush.

Does anyone see any problems with this, have any experience, or suggestions?

Thanks, Bob
Yes..do have some experince with nasty old bacteria infested cotton mops. Best strategy is to not use one...keep your mop liquid hot and apply it with a SS spoon..never allowing the spoon to touch the meat. Just allow the liquid to dribble on the meat. For end game glazing a long handled nylon basting brush or cheap paint brush works well. Best of fortunes.

Last edited by bigwheel : 10-05-2013 at 04:33 PM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 5/10/2013 3:30 AM, OMB wrote:
> I need a good applicator to put my mop (basting liquid) on meat while
> cueing. I have used the rag type (a bunch of strings on a wooden
> handle), but this type stains badly, and even after soaking in soapy
> water, never looks clean. Have also used a pastry brush, which has
> similar problem, plus too small. Can't find anything else at a barbecue
> store, so was wondering about using a nylon bristle paint brush.
>
> Does anyone see any problems with this, have any experience, or
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Bob

Have you tried soaking the mop style mop applicator in vinegar?

Rick
--
FedEx and UPS to merge to become FedUP