Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Standing Rib Roast on a Kamado

I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We have a rib roast and want to do it on our #5 K. We've done them inside, and did them perfectly, but how do we do it on the Kamado? Some say start with blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up to blazing hot at the end.

Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for recipes.
TIA.

Nan in De
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nanzi > wrote:

> I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We have a
> rib roast and want to do it on our #5 K. We've done them inside, and did
> them perfectly, but how do we do it on the Kamado? Some say start with
> blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up to blazing hot at the end.
>
> Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for
> recipes.

Me too. Maybe Zenreich might be of some help as Kamado archivist?
I seem to remember HarryD. had some good posts on this. Maybe a seance
is in order?
I've only ever done one or two and I used 350-400F dome temp for the
whole cook. The main thing is to not cook past 125-130F internal.

monroe(lotsa good info went poof)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 28, 12:14*pm, "monroe, of course" >
wrote:
> *Nanzi > wrote:
> > I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We have a
> > rib roast and want to do it on our #5 K. *We've done them inside, and did
> > them perfectly, but how do we do it on the Kamado? Some say start with
> > blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up to blazing hot at the end.

> > Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for
> > recipes.

> Me too. Maybe Zenreich might be of some help as Kamado archivist?
> I seem to remember HarryD. had some good posts on this. Maybe a seance
> is in order?
> I've only ever done one or two and I used 350-400F dome temp for the
> whole cook. The main thing is to not cook past 125-130F internal.
>
> monroe(lotsa good info went poof)

i rip the rib roast out of the bovine beast and toss it into a hot
fire. i like it burned on the outside, and raw on the inside. if the
beast still lives after losing its rib roast, i cut out its tongue and
do the bit with that piece of offal. i've been to court numerous
times for aiding and abetting PUTA(People for the Unethical Treatment
of Animals). i've never been convicted though because i'm a lawyer.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12/28/2012 9:41 AM, Nanzi wrote:
> I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We have a rib roast and want
> to do it on our #5 K. We've done them inside, and did them perfectly, but how do we do it on
> the Kamado? Some say start with blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up to blazing
> hot at the end.
>
> Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for recipes.
> TIA.
>
> Nan in De

Click the link for pics and the full discussion.

Hth.

http://tribe.grilldome.net/discussion/685/prime-rib

GD Setup

Temp: 250 F - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -At: Dome
Smoke: N/A - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -Soaked: No
Setup: V-Rack - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -Type: Indirect
Steam: N/A

ATC: N/A - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Food Max:
N/A - - - - - - -Pit Max: N/A
Food Min: N/A - - - - - - - Pit Min: N/A

Directions

Cooked a 10 lb Prime Rib this weekend on my dome.

The dome was stabilized at 250 degrees for an hour before placing the
roast into the dome. Based on postings on this board and other readings
we used only Cow Boy Lump, bypassing any smoke wood.

The cooking was semi direct with the roasting pan loaded with 48 ounces
of beef broth. The roast was 43 degrees initially and the temperature
increased 20 degrees per hour using a cooking temperature of 250
degrees. I had to open the input and output vents considerably after
placing the roast into the dome to maintain 250 degrees cooking
temperature.

3 1/2 hours later the roast reached 115 degrees [in the center] and we
removed the roast from the dome and let it rest for an hour while the
sides were prepared. The roast was extremely consistent from end to
middle. The tenderness and flavor was as good as it gets. I agree that
charcoal alone was enough smoke. Hope this information helps others
successfully cook a prime rib on their dome.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:52:08 -0700, smokeringer >
wrote:

>3 1/2 hours later the roast reached 115 degrees [in the center] and we
>removed the roast from the dome and let it rest for an hour while the
>sides were prepared. The roast was extremely consistent from end to
>middle. The tenderness and flavor was as good as it gets. I agree that
>charcoal alone was enough smoke. Hope this information helps others
>successfully cook a prime rib on their dome.

That is fine if it gives you the result you want. Taking it off at
115 is ideal, IMO.

There are two end results that people want and they require different
methods. Comes down to personal preference.

To achieve the end to end, outer to center even doneness, you are
correct in using the lower temperature method.

Some of us like the outside to be very well done, yet the center to be
at least pink, even red. That requires a high heat to start, then
moderation to cook it the rest of the way.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the good advice. We will proceed with the methods from monroe and smokeringer & Ed and the website from grilldome. Thank you for taking the time to help. Nan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12/28/2012 7:06 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:52:08 -0700, smokeringer wrote:
>
>> The dome was stabilized at 250 degrees for an hour before placing the
>> roast into the dome. Based on postings on this board and other readings
>> we used only Cow Boy Lump...

> You must be reading some OTHER "board" if you're endorsing "Cow Boy
> Lump".
>
> -sw

Lol!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12/29/2012 8:51 AM, Nanzi wrote:
> Thanks for the good advice. We will proceed with the methods from monroe and smokeringer & Ed
> and the website from grilldome. Thank you for taking the time to help. Nan

Post back on how it cooks up, cheers!

I use an electric smoker box and the temperature settings (225-235) are
similar. Pecan wood supplies the smoke.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nanzi wrote:
> I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We
> have a rib roast and want to do it on our #5 K. We've done them
> inside, and did them perfectly, but how do we do it on the Kamado?
> Some say start with blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up
> to blazing hot at the end.
>
> Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for
> recipes.
> TIA.
>
> Nan in De

Nan, I basically do the roast in the K the same as I do in the oven, save
for doing an hour of very low temp smoking. Then it's about 25 minutes at
around 450 to 500, then the rest of the cook at around 330 until done to
temperature.

--
A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for
dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:10:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

---------Snip---------------

>Some of us like the outside to be very well done, yet the center to be
>at least pink, even red. That requires a high heat to start, then
>moderation to cook it the rest of the way.

I like it red in the middle and black outside.
If you haven't tried a slow start and a hot finish you should. I get
my best results that way.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cam & Dave, that is the method I was debating about.....super hot at the beginning ...or the end. I've done them Dave's method, as taught to me by CIA grad, inside to great results. Do you do them right on the grill rack, or, in a pan with a rack in it to try and catch any juice(and of course a heat sink under so it cooks indirectly)?

The roast isn't even thawed yet, so it will not be a quick reply about how it came out. I'm sure it will be delicious. And I know to some, freezing it was heresy. We just haven't had one in so long, and the price per pound was too good to miss. It is about 5 lbs btw.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:41:34 -0800 (PST), Nanzi >
wrote:

>I know there are several folks here familiar with Kamado, or BGE. We have a rib roast and want to do it on our #5 K. We've done them inside, and did them perfectly, but how do we do it on the Kamado? Some say start with blazing hot, then turn down, some say bring it up to blazing hot at the end.
>
>Hit me with your best shot, please. I really miss the Kamado site for recipes.
>TIA.
>
>Nan in De

I tried Alton Brown's method for Christmas: start in a 200 deg oven,
cook to desired internal temp, let cool, then back into a 500 deg oven
to brown. He uses an inverted terra cotta pot to cook in; I souldn't
find one that fit right.

It cam out great.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:

> I tried Alton Brown's method for Christmas: start in a 200 deg oven,
> cook to desired internal temp, let cool, then back into a 500 deg oven
> to brown. He uses an inverted terra cotta pot to cook in; I souldn't
> find one that fit right.
>
> It cam out great.

Good work. That method does work well. I use it with all kinds of
different cuts. The essence of it is that you can cook meat in phases,
and, a little cooling down between phases doesn't hurt it a bit.
Stuff doesn't actually have to cook 100% continuously.

Another key point, and I think you figured it out, is that you don't
actually need the pot. That's purely an Alton thing. His expressed
theory is that it makes the heat more even, which is certainly does,
in barely measurable, tiny amounts.

As it happens, reasonably even heat is good enough. It doesn't have
to be perfectly even down to 25 decimal places. Only in Alton's head.

(Alton probably doesn't really think it makes a big difference
in the end product either. Gadgets and Tricks are his marketing hook
and in a very crowded field of celebrity chefs he hopes you will
remember his recipe specifically because of the silly pot trick)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Good work. That method does work well. I use it with all kinds of
>different cuts. The essence of it is that you can cook meat in phases,
>and, a little cooling down between phases doesn't hurt it a bit.
>Stuff doesn't actually have to cook 100% continuously.
>
>Another key point, and I think you figured it out, is that you don't
>actually need the pot. That's purely an Alton thing. His expressed
>theory is that it makes the heat more even, which is certainly does,
>in barely measurable, tiny amounts.
>
>As it happens, reasonably even heat is good enough. It doesn't have
>to be perfectly even down to 25 decimal places. Only in Alton's head.
>
>(Alton probably doesn't really think it makes a big difference
>in the end product either. Gadgets and Tricks are his marketing hook
>and in a very crowded field of celebrity chefs he hopes you will
>remember his recipe specifically because of the silly pot trick)

In the show I watched, he referenced "more uniform infra-red heat
reflection", which I understand. The dome of a Kamado works perfectly
for that. Still, in my oven without the pot it worked great.