Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Standing Rib Roast on a Kamado

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:52:08 -0700, smokeringer >
wrote:

>3 1/2 hours later the roast reached 115 degrees [in the center] and we
>removed the roast from the dome and let it rest for an hour while the
>sides were prepared. The roast was extremely consistent from end to
>middle. The tenderness and flavor was as good as it gets. I agree that
>charcoal alone was enough smoke. Hope this information helps others
>successfully cook a prime rib on their dome.

That is fine if it gives you the result you want. Taking it off at
115 is ideal, IMO.

There are two end results that people want and they require different
methods. Comes down to personal preference.

To achieve the end to end, outer to center even doneness, you are
correct in using the lower temperature method.

Some of us like the outside to be very well done, yet the center to be
at least pink, even red. That requires a high heat to start, then
moderation to cook it the rest of the way.