Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef Brisket Hints

Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm etc

thanks

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 7, 9:33*am, jamiep > wrote:
> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? *Rubs, Sauce no sauce *trim no tirm *etc
>
> thanks

Here's a pretty good post about this subject:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...f4151632323a97

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep wrote:
>
>> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm etc

> Salt, pepper, heat, smoke, time. You want to narrow it down some or
> should we write a book?

To me the main ingredients are persistence and patience. Beer supports
both.

--
//ceed <indeed>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm etc
>
>thanks

Trim to 1/4" fat layer. I like a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic,
brown sugar. Sauce on the side for those that want it, but done
right, it is not needed.

I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:48:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep >
> wrote:
>
>> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm
>> etc thanks

> Trim to 1/4" fat layer. I like a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic,
> brown sugar. Sauce on the side for those that want it, but done
> right, it is not needed.
>
> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
> it.

I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm Canadian
by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq tradition. I think
the meat knows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2012-02-08 04:29:35 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On 08 Feb 2012 03:56:07 GMT, Carbon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:48:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Trim to 1/4" fat layer. I like a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic,
>>> brown sugar. Sauce on the side for those that want it, but done
>>> right, it is not needed.
>>>
>>> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
>>> it.

>> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm Canadian
>> by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq tradition. I think
>> the meat knows.

> Cook it lower, don't open the cooking vessel, and wrap it half-assed
> in butcher paper after 5-6 hours.
>
> -sw

cook it slow 225-250, and wrap it in foil after its been given its
desired amount of smoking. this will help prevent it from drying out.

check out http://amazingribs.com/ has great tips

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 7, 8:29*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On 08 Feb 2012 03:56:07 GMT, Carbon wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:48:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Trim to 1/4" fat layer. *I like a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic,
> >> brown sugar. *Sauce on the side for those that want it, but done
> >> right, it is not needed.

> >> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
> >> it.

> > I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm Canadian
> > by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq tradition. I think
> > the meat knows.

> Cook it lower, don't open the cooking vessel, and wrap it half-assed
> in butcher paper after 5-6 hours.
>
> -sw- Hide quoted text -

Fuuuuck, I <3 mine, cook it with fireplace wood at 300F for 4-6 hours,
wrap it and keep it overnight in an insulated cooler with it's
brothers. Turns out damn good that way too.

Butt, bet slower and longer makes for a better product. It does for
everything else.

Damn, gotta cook some of that up again.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/7/2012 9:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 08 Feb 2012 03:56:07 GMT, Carbon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:48:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Trim to 1/4" fat layer. I like a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic,
>>> brown sugar. Sauce on the side for those that want it, but done
>>> right, it is not needed.
>>>
>>> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
>>> it.

>> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm Canadian
>> by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq tradition. I think
>> the meat knows.

> Cook it lower, don't open the cooking vessel, and wrap it half-assed
> in butcher paper after 5-6 hours.
>
> -sw

yup, long, slow and with WATER or liquids

why does Canadian have anything to do with it, unless you are in Winterpeg

(grin, duck, ruck, in Calgary)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
>> it.

>I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm Canadian
>by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq tradition. I think
>the meat knows.

Are you using just the flat or a full packer cut? The flat is too
well trimmed and will dry out.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 08 Feb 2012 03:56:07 GMT, Carbon >
> wrote:
>>
>>> I cook mine at 275 and start it late the night before I want to eat
>>> it.

>> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm
>> Canadian by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq
>> tradition. I think the meat knows.

> Are you using just the flat or a full packer cut? The flat is too
> well trimmed and will dry out.

All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.

Even a flat is a lot of meat for just my wife and I. But the dog loves
it. He's my biggest fan.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 8, 12:18*am, Tiger Lily > wrote:

> yup, long, slow and with WATER or liquids

Hell no, that's par-boilin. Saw a dude do that once, he finished it in
a pan with liquids in the cooker for a couple of hours. He was stewing
the damn meat.

Why do you guys trim anyway? I mean, I'll trim it down where it's
2-3"s. But shoot, on a packer cut to trim it down to a 1/4" would
require some major trimwork.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Feb-2012, Carbon > wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm
> >> Canadian by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq
> >> tradition. I think the meat knows.

> > Are you using just the flat or a full packer cut? The flat is too
> > well trimmed and will dry out.

> All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
> I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
> low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.
>
> Even a flat is a lot of meat for just my wife and I. But the dog loves
> it. He's my biggest fan.

Last December, I scored two packer cuts at Wally World. I separated
the flats and brined them for Corned Beef. I smoked both points at
about 270F pit temp and finished at 190F and 196F (internal). The
first one finished in about four hours and the second in about five
hours. The second was really done in about four and a half hours.
I trimmed a couple of pounds of fat off the two points, but still left
3/4 or 1" in places. All of this brisket is pullable. It shred easily with
two forks. For those of you already tired of hearing this, I cook at
270F because that's what the pit likes. I start with the firebox vent
cracked about an inch and leave it alone until I shut the pit down.
I watch the pit temp and throw on more fuel when the temp starts
dropping. Because my pit is hotter on one end then the other, I
rotate the meat about every two hours. Didn't used to do even that,
It does help to even out the final texture and cuts down on excess
bark near the firebox.

My first two years with this pit were just like you're talking about.
The most valuable thing I learned during those two years is to
quit 'f@#$ing with the food and let it cook. Wrapping and letting
dwell in a cooler box for a few hours don't hurt, but I don't even
do that anymore unless I have to hold it over for some reason.

Twelve pounds of brisket reduced to maybe eight pounds during
cooking is still a lot of meat for just myself. But, I vac pack it
in one pound packages and eat on it until it's gone before I
smoke another batch. It's just as good as bacon or ham for
breakfast and always makes great sandwiches.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 08 Feb 2012 12:49:58 GMT, Carbon >
wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm
>>> Canadian by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq
>>> tradition. I think the meat knows.

>> Are you using just the flat or a full packer cut? The flat is too
>> well trimmed and will dry out.

>All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
>I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
>low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.
>
>Even a flat is a lot of meat for just my wife and I. But the dog loves
>it. He's my biggest fan.

You then have to lard it. Cover it with some strips of fat to protect
it while cooking.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/8/2012 8:06 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep wrote:
>
>> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm etc

> Here's a good tip. DO NOT do this:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/72758916@N04/6844168823/
>
> It's all your fault, too. If you wouldn't have planted "brisket" in
> my head yesterday then this wouldn't have happened.
>
> -sw

Should be pullable at that temp. (Unless it dried out)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 9, 11:49*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:02:03 -0600, Shawn Martin wrote:

> >> Here's a good tip. *DO NOT do this:

> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/72758916@N04/6844168823/

> >> It's all your fault, too. *If you wouldn't have planted "brisket" in
> >> my head yesterday then this wouldn't have happened.

> >> -sw

> > Should be pullable at that temp. *(Unless it dried out)

> The later.
>
> -sw- Hide quoted text -

That's becasuse you trimmed it. If you were lazy like me and didn't
trim, it would have had plenty of fat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> You then have to lard it. Cover it with some strips of fat to protect
> it while cooking.

Or Texas Crutch it! I wholly advocate foil wrapping flats if they're
trimmed as flats are wont to be most times.
It's best to mess with whole packer cuts strictly.

monroe(all this brisket talk makey me jonesin!)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 7, 1:28*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep wrote:
> > Any tricks to pefecting brisket? *Rubs, Sauce no sauce *trim no tirm *etc

> Salt, pepper, heat, smoke, time. *You want to narrow it down some or
> should we write a book?

steve. i've never barbecued anything in my life. why am i even
posting here?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 10, 3:17*pm, Jack > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 1:28*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep wrote:
> > > Any tricks to pefecting brisket? *Rubs, Sauce no sauce *trim no tirm *etc

> > Salt, pepper, heat, smoke, time. *You want to narrow it down some or
> > should we write a book?

> steve. *i've never barbecued anything in my life. *why am i even
> posting here?

Since you have never barbecued anything, perhaps it's in your best
interest to lurk for a while, and learn from those of us who are bbq
gods. I have an electric smoker, powered by hydro. Water power.
Electrons racing to and fro.
And Jack, you kind of remind me of myself.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/10/2012 2:17 PM, Jack wrote:
> On Feb 7, 1:28 pm, > wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:48 -0600, jamiep wrote:
>>> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? Rubs, Sauce no sauce trim no tirm etc

>> Salt, pepper, heat, smoke, time. You want to narrow it down some or
>> should we write a book?
>>

> steve. i've never barbecued anything in my life. why am i even
> posting here?

Don't beat yourself up. SW can be sarcastic (on a GOOD day)
You asked a perfectly legitimate question, and got some good answers.
(and a few bad ones)

Everyone does something different. Here is what I USED to do:
(I say USED to, because this year brings a new smoker into the family,
placing me back firmly into the newbie category, until I figure the new
cooker out).

Start with a packer cut brisket. Trim if you like. (I don't)

Google brisket, and make sure you can identify the flat, and the point.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/briske....html#prepping

Rub this thing down with spices, salt, sugar, etc. (Many recipes for
rub on the internet.) Google "smoke and spice" I use Wild Willie's.

Stick the meat in the fridge overnight (or so.) Then rub it again.

Let the meat come up to room temp before placing it in the (already
heated) smoker, this will prevent the formation of creosote on the meat.
(bad).

Here is where the differences come in. Every cooker acts different.

I started out in a "Big Drum" smoker. It required a almost smokeless
file, about 2 1/2 feet directly below the meat. If you didn't want a
burnt crust on the bottom, I had to turn the meat every 2 hours or so,
adding blocks of well seasoned oak at each turn. I used lump charcoal
for the heat, and bagged chunks for smoke.

When the surface of the meat reaches about 145 F, it almost stops taking
on smoke flavor, so after about 2 hours, you can stop adding chunks.
(I don't like a real heavy smoke flavor, YMMV)

Use an external read thermometer, and take the meat out when it hits
your target temp. Put the probe in the flat, near where the point begins.

(Again, this varies. If you want to slice it, take it out at 155-160F.
I like to pull mine, so I let it go to 170F.)

My BD smoker wanted to run about 300F, so I let it. You will lose your
hair trying to fight a smoker's preferred temp. I could finish a
brisket in about 5-6 hours at that temp. (But use the thermometer, it
never lies. (Unless you have a Taylor that you bought last fall, it
will lie, take it back))

My next smoker was a propane powered Smoky Mountain brand. Same prep,
but I could now control the temps better, and got into the habit of
letting it run all night at 225F. This stretched the cook out to 18-22
hours. Again, pulling the brisket out when the target internal temp was
reached. (Let the meat rest about 1/2 hour before cutting into it.
Some folks put the meat into an ice chest to stay warm if they are going
to wait more than about 1/2 hr before serving.) What you wrap it in is
your business.

This year, I am moving onto an offset smoker, and will be back at the
beginner stage probably for most of the year.

More good stuff he http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

Disclaimer: This is a description of my usual preparation methods.
There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this. After 25 years using fire
on meat, I am still open to suggestions and improvements.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 10, 1:25*pm, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 2:17 PM, Jack wrote:

> Disclaimer: *This is a description of my usual preparation methods.
> There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this. After 25 years using fire
> on meat, I am still open to suggestions and improvements.

Good post on this. I think what Jack should be getting from all this
is it's cooking, not baking.
Different chunks of meat the same size may take different amounts of
time to cook. Then add the time of the year, the fuel you are using
and all the other variables and the only thing you know for sure is
you don't know, for sure. Except one thing: Internal temp.

Internal temp is god in BBQ. Except for ribs, and chickens, or
sausages. Okay, it's god for brisket and butts/picnics.

Find the bbq on eaglequest. The link's been posted here within the
last 6 months or so, or google BBQ FAQ, shit, here it is, #1 return:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

I didn't like the briskets I made the first few times, but following
what the Donald Bones dude did make me happy and it's worked every
time, for me. YMMV. Butt, everyone loves pulled pork, everyone.

Always give yourself plenty of time too, better to be done too soon
than late.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 10, 5:25*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> The OP, however, appears legit. *Although rather vague for maintaining
> such hard core domain name.

Heh, was sort of expecting the OP to be a foot in the door for some
later sales pitch.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thanks for the great post Shawn

may i ask a dumb question? on a brisket, do you ever marinate the meat
in pineapple juice or mango juice/slices in a zip lock bag for 24 hours
before the seasonings? to make the meat tender............ or is this
unnecessary? i'm getting lots of HINTS on how to cook (again) LOL

kate

On 2/10/2012 2:25 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> [...]

> but I could now control the temps better, and got into the habit of
> letting it run all night at 225F. This stretched the cook out to 18-22
> hours. Again, pulling the brisket out when the target internal temp was
> reached. (Let the meat rest about 1/2 hour before cutting into it. Some
> folks put the meat into an ice chest to stay warm if they are going to
> wait more than about 1/2 hr before serving.) What you wrap it in is your
> business.
>
> This year, I am moving onto an offset smoker, and will be back at the
> beginner stage probably for most of the year.
>
> More good stuff he http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
>
> Disclaimer: This is a description of my usual preparation methods. There
> is no "right" or "wrong" way to do this. After 25 years using fire on
> meat, I am still open to suggestions and improvements.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> thanks for the great post Shawn
>
> may i ask a dumb question? on a brisket, do you ever marinate the meat in
> pineapple juice or mango juice/slices in a zip lock bag for 24 hours
> before the seasonings? to make the meat tender............ or is this
> unnecessary? i'm getting lots of HINTS on how to cook (again) LOL
>
> kate

I have never marinated brisket. I have always thought that the challenge was
to take a tough cut of beef, and make it tender.

My MIL, who is from Nebraska (AKA: No street cred when it comes to this
subject. She thinks barbecue is a verb.)
asked me once why I bothered to 'cue brisket. I told her that any fool can
produce a tender pork butt, but that wouldn't get you any points down here
in TX.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:32:10 -0600, "Shawn Martin"
> wrote:

>"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> thanks for the great post Shawn
>>
>> may i ask a dumb question? on a brisket, do you ever marinate the meat in
>> pineapple juice or mango juice/slices in a zip lock bag for 24 hours
>> before the seasonings? to make the meat tender............ or is this
>> unnecessary? i'm getting lots of HINTS on how to cook (again) LOL
>>
>> kate
>>

>I have never marinated brisket. I have always thought that the challenge was
>to take a tough cut of beef, and make it tender.
>
>My MIL, who is from Nebraska (AKA: No street cred when it comes to this
>subject. She thinks barbecue is a verb.)
>asked me once why I bothered to 'cue brisket. I told her that any fool can
>produce a tender pork butt, but that wouldn't get you any points down here
>in TX.

Exactly right. I know people that marinate for flavor, but that does
not work all that well either. It is the slow cooking, breaking down
the collagen that makes it so tender.

One of the fun things to do with brisket it to give it to some of the
Yankees here that have never tasted it. One bit and they are tossing
away those expensive steaks in favor of a nice barbecued brisket and
all the flavor. No sauce needed either.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:32:10 -0600, "Shawn Martin"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> thanks for the great post Shawn
>>>
>>> may i ask a dumb question? on a brisket, do you ever marinate the meat
>>> in
>>> pineapple juice or mango juice/slices in a zip lock bag for 24 hours
>>> before the seasonings? to make the meat tender............ or is this
>>> unnecessary? i'm getting lots of HINTS on how to cook (again) LOL
>>>
>>> kate
>>>

>>I have never marinated brisket. I have always thought that the challenge
>>was
>>to take a tough cut of beef, and make it tender.
>>
>>My MIL, who is from Nebraska (AKA: No street cred when it comes to this
>>subject. She thinks barbecue is a verb.)
>>asked me once why I bothered to 'cue brisket. I told her that any fool
>>can
>>produce a tender pork butt, but that wouldn't get you any points down here
>>in TX.

> Exactly right. I know people that marinate for flavor, but that does
> not work all that well either. It is the slow cooking, breaking down
> the collagen that makes it so tender.
>
> One of the fun things to do with brisket it to give it to some of the
> Yankees here that have never tasted it. One bit and they are tossing
> away those expensive steaks in favor of a nice barbecued brisket and
> all the flavor. No sauce needed either.

Word. I haven't even served a sauce since about '92

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 7, 9:33*am, jamiep > wrote:
> Any tricks to pefecting brisket? *Rubs, Sauce no sauce *trim no tirm *etc
>
> thanks

I'm mostly tuned for competition but the same things make great
eatin'.

First of all, start with great meat. Certified Angus Beef, better
prime, or best yet Wagyu. I get Wagyu
for $4/lbs locally. Call around to wholesalers, some will do will-
call on small orders. Creekstone
is doing mail-order on CAB; they ship day of slaughter, so you'll want
to hold the meat, in the cryo,
cold in the back of the fridge for 3-4 weeks, so that's an option, but
look for someone that doesn't
have to FedEx the meat to you.

Look for a packer in the range of 12-15 lbs untrimmed.

Trim the packer a bit; narrowing the flat to box-width (7"-8") usually
results in a consistently-cooked
flat. Trim off excess fat, etc. There's a good web-page for which I
have lost the link, google a bit.

I use an injection and you should, too. FAB, Butcher and Kosmo's are
all very competitive, remember you
need to season the injection a bit and mix it with beef broth (unless
it's Kosmo's Special Reserve, that's
ready-to-use out of the bag). After injecting, store the meat cold
for 4+ hours. Rub with some Santa
Maria rub or similar.

My cook is a slow-start smoke below 200F for 3-5 hours, then I kick
up to a more traditional 225-240F
for 3-5 hours, then I wrap the brisket tightly in foil for 1-2 hour
until it's done. Done is best tested with
a poke. Reserve the juices captured while wrapped. Separate the
point, trim the fat from it and return it
to the cooker for 1-2 hours for burnt ends, meanwhile rest the flat 1+
hours wrapped in a Coleman or cambro.

Sauce: thin your favorite sauce with the reserved juices, dredge the
slices in it. Sauce should take a backseat
to the beef, just dress it up a bit.

Last November, our brisket took 6th-place at Antioch, CA - 168 points,
tied with All Sauced Up and well
ahead of Slap Yo Daddy and a few other really good teams. In
September we took 11th at Ribstock in
a tough field, 1/2 point behind All Sauced Up.

Cheers,
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/11/2012 5:32 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> thanks for the great post Shawn
>>
>> may i ask a dumb question? on a brisket, do you ever marinate the meat
>> in pineapple juice or mango juice/slices in a zip lock bag for 24
>> hours before the seasonings? to make the meat tender............ or is
>> this unnecessary? i'm getting lots of HINTS on how to cook (again) LOL
>>
>> kate
>>

> I have never marinated brisket. I have always thought that the challenge
> was to take a tough cut of beef, and make it tender.
>
> My MIL, who is from Nebraska (AKA: No street cred when it comes to this
> subject. She thinks barbecue is a verb.)
> asked me once why I bothered to 'cue brisket. I told her that any fool
> can produce a tender pork butt, but that wouldn't get you any points
> down here in TX.

grin, thank you for your support!

kate

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:[color=blue][i]
All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.

I bet that shoe leather is the result of 2 things - too hot a fire & a lack of a good instant read thermometer to check to see if it's done. If you cook below 300°F most packer cut briskets will be done in 12-15 hours. A trimmed flat will be done in about 8 hours. So start checking the temp starting at about the 6 hour mark & each 30 afterwards.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 15, 10:40*am, frohe49 >
wrote:[color=blue][i]
> Carbon;1712009 Wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
> > I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
> > low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.

> I bet that shoe leather is the result of 2 things - too hot a fire & a
> lack of a good instant read thermometer to check to see if it's done.
> If you cook below 300°F most packer cut briskets will be done in 12-15
> hours. *A trimmed flat will be done in about 8 hours. *So start checking
> the temp starting at about the 6 hour mark & each 30 afterwards.
>
> -frohe
>
> --
> frohe49

Holy shit, look what the dog dug up. How you been Happy? Long time no
see-um. Hope life's been easy on you.
I'm still reccommending your kicking sauce to anyone who'll sit still.
Damn good stuff. Got to make another batch this summer.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Feb-2012, frohe49 > wrote:
[color=blue][i]
> Carbon;1712009 Wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
> > I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
> > low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.
> >

> I bet that shoe leather is the result of 2 things - too hot a fire & a
> lack of a good instant read thermometer to check to see if it's done.
> If you cook below 300°F most packer cut briskets will be done in 12-15
> hours. A trimmed flat will be done in about 8 hours. So start checking
> the temp starting at about the 6 hour mark & each 30 afterwards.
>
> -frohe
>

> --
> frohe49

This don't help much with the OP's dilemma, but BobInGa and The
Friendly Plumber stopped by for lunch today. Plumber begged for ribs,
but I didn't have any left, so I served brisket that I cooked New Years Eve
eve. (Dec 30, 2011) The brisket was from two points that I cooked together
after setting the flats to cure for corned beef. I reheated the meat in
vacuum
bags in a pot of boiling water. (The meat was frozen in vac bags) I've had
better brisket but not by much. And not for the last couple of years.I
didn't
know if they would want sauce or not, but all I had was some Sweet Baby
Ray's and some KC Masterpiece. I kept the KC a secret and warmed up
some of the Ray's. I was pretty sure that I fixed too much meat but I was
wrong. They both ate two sandwiches and I ate one. There wasn't anything
left to eat so they made some excuses and left. They wouldn't comment
on whether the 'Q' was good or bad, but they didn't leave any behind,so
maybe that means something.

I use a probe thermometer, but I pay more attention to how the probe feels
as it penetrates the meat. If it goes right through, it's done, but If you
have
to push on it, it ain't. If it's at your target temp and don't feel done,
cook
it some more anyway. Your numbers aren't going to make you happy if
you have to chop your meat into hamburger in order to chew it.

A guy that's cooked hundreds of briskets could probably tell it better,
but of the ones I've heard and read, they aren't getting the point across
any better then I am.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutall View Post
On Feb 15, 10:40*am
Holy shit, look what the dog dug up. How you been Happy? Long time no
see-um. Hope life's been easy on you. I'm still reccommending your kicking sauce to anyone who'll sit still. Damn good stuff. Got to make another batch this summer.
Hey bud! Things are going ok. Had my left leg amputated below the knee and trying to make sense of it all. Other than that, it's BBQ, BBQ, BBQ.

Ah, you're still addicted to my BBQ sauce. It's good stuff. If I had a mind to, I'd start bottling that stuff and sell it but at my age, I'm just lazy and would rather sit out on my backporch with a cold beer in my hand while watching wisps of smoke escape from my cooker.

How's life been with you? Must be good since you're still here. Good seeing your nick.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:40:25 +0000, frohe49 wrote:
> Carbon;1712009 Wrote:
>
>> All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
>> I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
>> low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.

> I bet that shoe leather is the result of 2 things - too hot a fire & a
> lack of a good instant read thermometer to check to see if it's done.
> If you cook below 300°F most packer cut briskets will be done in 12-15
> hours. A trimmed flat will be done in about 8 hours. So start
> checking the temp starting at about the 6 hour mark & each 30
> afterwards.

I have an et-732 and a wsm. I think the very well trimmed flats you find
in most grocery stores are just hard to cook.

Last weekend I actually found a full packer at Costco, the first time
I've ever seen one in a store around here. I'm going to try an all-night
cook this Saturday.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2/16/2012 2:25 PM, bbq wrote:
> True that it is a different skill level. But all participants have the
> same weather conditions to cook. So it kinda equals out. A wind block
> would be essential IMO. Then once everything is set up, hop back into a
> fish house(heated), drop a line in a hole, play cards, etc. See what
> happens first. Does the barbecue get done or get a big northern snagged
> on the line !!!!
>
> BBQ

giggle, i was just about to post........ i have NO recollection of the
ice fishing houses, honest........ it was great grandpa! (right!)

kate
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 2/16/2012 7:38 AM, frohe49 wrote:
> tutall;1714251 Wrote:
>> On Feb 15, 10:40*am
>> Holy shit, look what the dog dug up. How you been Happy? Long time no
>> see-um. Hope life's been easy on you. I'm still reccommending your
>> kicking sauce to anyone who'll sit still. Damn good stuff. Got to make
>> another batch this summer.

> Hey bud! Things are going ok. Had my left leg amputated below the knee
> and trying to make sense of it all. Other than that, it's BBQ, BBQ,
> BBQ.
>
> Ah, you're still addicted to my BBQ sauce. It's good stuff. If I had a
> mind to, I'd start bottling that stuff and sell it but at my age, I'm
> just lazy and would rather sit out on my backporch with a cold beer in
> my hand while watching wisps of smoke escape from my cooker.
>
> How's life been with you? Must be good since you're still here. Good
> seeing your nick.
>
> -frohe

Sorry to hear of your amputation. It seems like you have a positive
attitude. If you need inspiration, think about big jim. He raises hogs,
cows, chickens and shoots squirrels. He grows his own veggies and cans
what he can't use before spoiling. He does this from a wheel chair.

Good to see you again around here.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 15, 6:53*pm, wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2012, frohe49 > wrote:

> I use a probe thermometer, but I pay more attention to how the probe feels
> as it penetrates the meat. If it goes right through, it's done, but If you
> have
> to push on it, it ain't. If it's at your target temp and don't feel done,
> cook
> it some more anyway. Your numbers aren't going to make you happy if
> you have to chop your meat into hamburger in order to chew it.

I don't use cooking probes on the long meats, just poke 'em with a
Thermapen at the appropriate time. Brick, hell yeah, what you said.

I *do* have enough cooking probes to stick 4 hunks-o-meat and don't
use
'em outside of the rare experiments, never in competition.

Dana
Plastered Pig BBQ/DPQ BBQ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Feb-2012, Dana > wrote:

> On Feb 15, 6:53*pm, wrote:
> > On 15-Feb-2012, frohe49 > wrote:

> > I use a probe thermometer, but I pay more attention to how the probe
> > feels
> > as it penetrates the meat. If it goes right through, it's done, but If
> > you
> > have
> > to push on it, it ain't. If it's at your target temp and don't feel
> > done,
> > cook
> > it some more anyway. Your numbers aren't going to make you happy if
> > you have to chop your meat into hamburger in order to chew it.

> I don't use cooking probes on the long meats, just poke 'em with a
> Thermapen at the appropriate time. Brick, hell yeah, what you said.
>
> I *do* have enough cooking probes to stick 4 hunks-o-meat and don't
> use
> 'em outside of the rare experiments, never in competition.
>
> Dana
> Plastered Pig BBQ/DPQ BBQ

It's been a long road Dana. I remember when you were cooking on an
offset and still trying to figure out which end to put the fuel in. Then I
came
in here and tried to learn the language of BBQ. I thought, "How hard can
it be?" People that can't spell and speak only pig latin win contests. I
then made some "Bitter" ends and a lot of Creosote for a couple of years
before I got the hang of it. Now, I can't understand what all the fuss was
about. I'm still using the offset I bought in 2003. It's ugly as hell, but
cooks as good as ever. Gonna cook two butts and three racks of spares
today. I don't expect any problems.

--
Brick(Taking a trip down memory lane)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 16, 5:38*am, frohe49 >
wrote:
> tutall;1714251 Wrote:
>
> > On Feb 15, 10:40*am
> > Holy shit, look what the dog dug up. How you been Happy? Long time no
> > see-um. Hope life's been easy on you. I'm still reccommending your
> > kicking sauce to anyone who'll sit still. Damn good stuff. Got to make
> > another batch this summer.

> Hey bud! *Things are going ok. *Had my left leg amputated below the knee
> and trying to make sense of it all.

Damn, diabetes I bet. Yeah, what BBQ said about Big Jim. You oughta
see the clip of him chasing down a piglet in that thing. Funnier than
hell. I think someone greased it up to mess with him.

>Other than that, it's BBQ, BBQ,
> BBQ.

Your just in time for the presummer newbie season where you can
dispense your common sense knowledge of your favorite texas meat.

> Ah, you're still addicted to my BBQ sauce. *It's good stuff. *If I had a
> mind to, I'd start bottling that stuff and sell it but at my age,

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. Translating that to something that can
be make industrially would be a chore. I cooked the last few batches
up inside my cooker when I was doing briskets or butts. That's
obviously not gonna translate so liquid smoke would have to be used.

> How's life been with you? *Must be good since you're still here. *Good
> seeing your nick.

Back atcha, the oldest is a freshman in college now. He's loving it.
Regressed a bit on his grades of course, but getting back in the
saddle this second semester.

Dana is doing competitions now, and in my neck of the woods. Am
looking forward to going to see one and tell him everything he's doing
wrong while drinking his beer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Carbon" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:43:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I tried it twice now and have made excellent shoe leather. I'm
>>> Canadian by birth and growing up there wasn't much of a bbq
>>> tradition. I think the meat knows.

>> Are you using just the flat or a full packer cut? The flat is too
>> well trimmed and will dry out.

> All I've been able to find around here (central FL) are flats. So far
> I've made high-temperature shoe leather on the kettle and
> low-temperature shoe leather on the wsm.
>
> Even a flat is a lot of meat for just my wife and I. But the dog loves
> it. He's my biggest fan.

Hey Carbon, where you at in C Florida?
You can usually find packer briskets at either Super WalMart or Sam's
Club.
At one time when I first started cooking brisket I could only find them at
Albertson, BUTT I think they closed all the Stores in Gainesville
(closest big town to me).
If you ask nice either one may order in a case or 2 for you.
Bee "don't hurt to ask" Jay

Living frugal in the woods of North Florida.
Keeper of Chickens, quail, rabbits and pigs.
Killer of squirrels.
Grinder of grits and cornmeal.
Sold my bull, sent my cow to freezer camp.
Eating good in North Florida.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
.com...

> On 15-Feb-2012, frohe49 > wrote:
> > This don't help much with the OP's dilemma, but BobInGa and The

> Friendly Plumber stopped by for lunch today. Plumber begged for ribs,
> but I didn't have any left, so I served brisket that I cooked New Years
> Eve
> eve. (Dec 30, 2011) The brisket was from two points that I cooked together
> after setting the flats to cure for corned beef. I reheated the meat in
> vacuum
> bags in a pot of boiling water. (The meat was frozen in vac bags) I've had
> better brisket but not by much. And not for the last couple of years.I
> didn't
> know if they would want sauce or not, but all I had was some Sweet Baby
> Ray's and some KC Masterpiece. I kept the KC a secret and warmed up
> some of the Ray's. I was pretty sure that I fixed too much meat but I was
> wrong. They both ate two sandwiches and I ate one. There wasn't anything
> left to eat so they made some excuses and left. They wouldn't comment
> on whether the 'Q' was good or bad, but they didn't leave any behind,so
> maybe that means something.
>
> I use a probe thermometer, but I pay more attention to how the probe feels
> as it penetrates the meat. If it goes right through, it's done, but If you
> have
> to push on it, it ain't. If it's at your target temp and don't feel done,
> cook
> it some more anyway. Your numbers aren't going to make you happy if
> you have to chop your meat into hamburger in order to chew it.
>
> A guy that's cooked hundreds of briskets could probably tell it better,
> but of the ones I've heard and read, they aren't getting the point across
> any better then I am.
>
> --
> Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
> then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Hey Howard,
Bob, Ginger, Earl and me is cooking up In Ashburn, GA at the FBA cook-off
they having there
March 23, 24.
Whyant you come up and ride up with me?
We'll be eating good if nothing else.
BeeJay

Member

Your just in time for the presummer newbie season where you can
dispense your common sense knowledge of your favorite texas meat.

-blush- Seems there's more than enuff folk here to help out the newbies but I might add my 2 cents worth now & then if I think it'll do anyone any good. It's not whether I'm an "expert" at anything just that I've cooked more than my fair share of BBQ and want the art of making good wood-cooked BBQ to continue. Right now I'm getting a few chances to teach my 6 yr old grandson a few basics each time he comes down here from Tennessee. Lord willing, by the time he's 18 or so, he should be well-grounded in the art of making BBQ his grandma'll be begging for.

-frohe