Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default beef brisket

Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
would be an option.

thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
> there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
> was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
> little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
> suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
> would be an option.
>
> thanks

Slow cook it, oven or crockpot, until it becomes tender at about 185
degrees. There will be a lot of fat rendered so do check the pan. Great as
bbq too. It is a tough hunk of meat so the collagen needs to break down and
that takes time. Once done, it is very tender and tasty.
Makes good hamburgers when ground too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
> > there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
> > was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
> > little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
> > suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
> > would be an option.
> >
> > thanks

> Slow cook it, oven or crockpot, until it becomes tender at about 185
> degrees. There will be a lot of fat rendered so do check the pan. Great as
> bbq too. It is a tough hunk of meat so the collagen needs to break down and
> that takes time. Once done, it is very tender and tasty.
> Makes good hamburgers when ground too.

Thanks, I think I will do the crockpot BBQ how would I do that, just
dump the sauce in there and cook?
Or would the amount of fat be a problem?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Thanks, I think I will do the crockpot BBQ how would I do that, just
> dump the sauce in there and cook?
> Or would the amount of fat be a problem?

That's not what Ed said. You can do brisket either in the crockpot, oven, or
do it as bbq in a pit. Crockpot or oven cooked brisket ain't bbq, although
it can still be tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > Thanks, I think I will do the crockpot BBQ how would I do that, just
> > dump the sauce in there and cook?
> > Or would the amount of fat be a problem?

> That's not what Ed said. You can do brisket either in the crockpot, oven, or
> do it as bbq in a pit. Crockpot or oven cooked brisket ain't bbq, although
> it can still be tasty.

Oh didn't think of that. Me and my discounted bottle of Kraft BBQ
sauce. Really I wish I would have taken more consideration before I
pulled it out. So to the crockpot it goes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:23:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
> >there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
> >was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
> >little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
> >suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
> >would be an option.
> >
> >thanks

> Barbecued brisket here in Texas is something of a commitment. Most Q
> joints will smoke their brisket low and slow for 18 hours or so to
> gelatinize the collagen -- i.e. make a tough cut tender.

Great, I admire dedicated BBQ joints.

> Another option would be to make a corned beef and then smoke it. That
> equals pastrami. I posted about that not long ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...01ba0549?hl=en

Yea I saw a show about the time I posted that that mentioned what part
the pastrami section comes from.

> Note that my pastrami was made from a trimmed brisket, not the whole
> big bad thang. Texas pit men usually opt for the whole cut when they
> smoke beef.
> --
> modom

Hate to say it but all I have is a gas grill to use that pretty much
sucks. I'm not real great on the grill either, no patience. When I do
have the patience it works out well.

> ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat

I admire dedication and ambition to cooking and BBQ. I get lots of
meat for free, mostly wild meat and trout, gotta catch the trout
yourself though. Saves a lot of $$$$ Hopefully more beef in the
future. Maybe build a BBQ, I'll have to look into that. I know the
perfect place for it, it's like it was made for it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
> there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
> was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
> little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
> suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
> would be an option.
>
> thanks

Brine it and cook it in a Brinkman smoker.

That's what I'd do. Brine for at least four hours, and cook according to
meat thermometer.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>>Hi, my family has cattle so they throw me some beef parts here and
>>there. I have a good size beef brisket, what should I do with it? I
>>was thinking BBQ but I've never done brisket. It's been thawed for a
>>little while so I should do something with it asap, as in tonight. Any
>>suggestions, how long to cook. I was thinking the oven but a crockpost
>>would be an option.
>>
>>thanks

> Slow cook it, oven or crockpot, until it becomes tender at about 185
> degrees. There will be a lot of fat rendered so do check the pan. Great as
> bbq too. It is a tough hunk of meat so the collagen needs to break down and
> that takes time. Once done, it is very tender and tasty.
> Makes good hamburgers when ground too.

I keep meaning to braise a beef brisket. I have heard such good things
about a long slow cooking of them.
I have heard of braising it in chicken stock with white wine, carrots,
onions, celery & etc. (& probly oyster mushrooms) but cant seem to
intellectually get past my fixation with red wine and beef.

Then there's the braised in sherry with paprika and olives. Decisions,
decisions

And to go with i suppose steamed new potatoes & a pan gravy? with a side
of fresh peas?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

wrote:

> > > Oh didn't think of that. Me and my discounted bottle of Kraft BBQ
> > > sauce. Really I wish I would have taken more consideration before I
> > > pulled it out. So to the crockpot it goes.

> > Hey, the Kraft BBQ sauce works fine if it's what you like. Might I
> > suggest placing the brisket on a large sheet of heavy duty foil, pour
> > your sauce all over it and wrap the brisket tightly, then slow roast in
> > your oven at 200-250 degrees all day long. Tender, BBQ beef at the end.
> > Yummmmm. I'd advise putting a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan under the
> > brisket just in case some sauce or juices escape. That will save you a
> > mess in your oven.
> >
> > --Lin

> The Kraft sauce was in the cheap rack for 70 cents. So got a bunch of
> them. Also was frozen Garden and morning star veggie burgers for 25
> cents each, 4 to a pack. Got a MOUNTAIN of them. Out of the burgers
> the morning star was better IMO.
>
> The oven way sounds good to me. So I think that is the plan. It just
> started leaking so i guess I got a little wiggle room to wait till
> tomorrow.

Don't feel guilty. I rarely make my own BBQ sauce on the rare occasions
I actually use it. I happen to LIKE Kraft regular BBQ sauce. It has a
very good flavor.

One thing I've done in the past is to put chicken parts into a covered
corningware, pour some Kraft regular over them and nuke them. Chicken is
one meat that (to me anyway) lends itself well to microwave cooking...

Some of the fattier cuts of pork do well that way too.

I never nuke beef.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> I keep meaning to braise a beef brisket. I have heard such good things
> about a long slow cooking of them.
> I have heard of braising it in chicken stock with white wine, carrots,
> onions, celery & etc. (& probly oyster mushrooms) but cant seem to
> intellectually get past my fixation with red wine and beef.

Last time I cooked a Brisket, I braised it. I just did not feel like
BBQ'ing. ;-) I used my table top roaster.

It turned out VERY well! I did not remove the fat cap and cooked it fat
cap side up and roasted it up on a rack so it was not drowning in beef
grease.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
.. .

> Hey, the Kraft BBQ sauce works fine if it's what you like. Might I suggest
> placing the brisket on a large sheet of heavy duty foil, pour your sauce
> all over it and wrap the brisket tightly, then slow roast in your oven at
> 200-250 degrees all day long. Tender, BBQ beef at the end.

Sorry, Lin, but that ain't BBQ beef. That's oven roasted beef soaked in a
sauce. Not saying it is or isn't good, just that bbq is a specific
designation for a method of cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sorry, Lin, but that ain't BBQ beef. That's oven roasted beef soaked in
> a sauce. Not saying it is or isn't good, just that bbq is a specific
> designation for a method of cooking.

Oh, I know, dear! He had a cheap bottle of Kraft and it was something
easy. It probably would have been more appropriate for me to label it
"Crock Pot/Oven Cooked Barbecue-Sauced Beef." Happy now? ;-)

Btw: I took one of those hunks of beef I bought at Safeway yesterday,
threw it in the crockpot last night and made Crock Pot Barbecue-Sauced
Beef, but I used a better combination of sauces. Smelled great in the
house waking up this a.m.

The hunk of beef originally was roasted in the oven, but I let it get
more to medium than rare and it toughened up. Crock pot seemed like a
good way to rescue it. Bob had a taste of it when he got home and said
it was good and tender.

So tonight it's Crock Pot Barbecue-Sauced Beef on sandwich rolls, maybe
a pasta salad and some deviled eggs.

--Lin ( happy now, Dave? ;-) )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:42:24 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>I'd start it in the crockpot or the oven in either broth, water, or even
>beer and some onion and garlic until the meat is tender.

Sounds so good, Gloria! Do you ever do short ribs? Ina Garten
featured a short rib dish last week on her site. They looked great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>I keep meaning to braise a beef brisket. I have heard such good things
>>about a long slow cooking of them.
>>I have heard of braising it in chicken stock with white wine, carrots,
>>onions, celery & etc. (& probly oyster mushrooms) but cant seem to
>>intellectually get past my fixation with red wine and beef.

> Last time I cooked a Brisket, I braised it. I just did not feel like
> BBQ'ing. ;-) I used my table top roaster.
>
> It turned out VERY well! I did not remove the fat cap and cooked it fat
> cap side up and roasted it up on a rack so it was not drowning in beef
> grease.

I like to use the layer of cut up carrots, onions & celery to rest the
meat on. Then drain the liquid using a bit of pressure to get all the
vegetable juices out of the cooked veggies, that liquid is then defatted
and used for a sauce.

Though i don't understand your use of the terms roasting and braising to
describe the same piece of meat. Do you mean you brown (roast?) the
meat in the oven and then set it to braise?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:42:24 -0700, Gloria P >
> wrote:
>
>> I'd start it in the crockpot or the oven in either broth, water, or even
>> beer and some onion and garlic until the meat is tender.

> Sounds so good, Gloria! Do you ever do short ribs? Ina Garten
> featured a short rib dish last week on her site. They looked great.

Not often. They are very expensive around here for the amount of meat
they contain.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Mr. Bill wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:42:24 -0700, Gloria P >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd start it in the crockpot or the oven in either broth, water, or even
> >> beer and some onion and garlic until the meat is tender.

> > Sounds so good, Gloria! Do you ever do short ribs? Ina Garten
> > featured a short rib dish last week on her site. They looked great.
> >

> Not often. They are very expensive around here for the amount of meat
> they contain.
>
> gloria p

There is a rib conspiracy I tell you!!! Same with the price of bacon!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> wrote:

> >> Slow cook it, oven or crockpot, until it becomes tender at about 185
> >> degrees. There will be a lot of fat rendered so do check the pan. Great as
> >> bbq too. It is a tough hunk of meat so the collagen needs to break down and
> >> that takes time. Once done, it is very tender and tasty.
> >> Makes good hamburgers when ground too.

> > Thanks, I think I will do the crockpot BBQ how would I do that, just
> > dump the sauce in there and cook?
> > Or would the amount of fat be a problem?

> I'd start it in the crockpot or the oven in either broth, water, or even
> beer and some onion and garlic until the meat is tender. Drain into a
> container, skim off all the fat, taste the remaining broth and if it's
> tasty, combine with BBQ sauce and reheat together with the sliced or
> shredded meat.

Sound like the plan, it's in a crockpot now. Is there any trick to
shredding it? Especially when it's still hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is freaking amazing:

Oklahoma Joe's Smoked Brisket Flat

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs Spanish paprika
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs celery salt
1 Tbs lemon pepper
1 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (5 to 8 pound) beef brisket (flat cut)

1. Using sharp knife, cut slits in fat cap, spaced 1 inch apart, in
crosshatch pattern, being careful to not cut into meat.

2. Soak wood chips in water to cover for 30 minutes; drain. Place
brisket on rimmed baking sheet. Cover entire brisket with dry rub.

3. Drain chips and place 2 cups in small disposable aluminum pan.
Place remaining 2 cups in another small disposable aluminum pan along
with 1 cup water. Set pans on primary burner (burner that will remain
on during barbecuing). Place the 9-inch aluminum pie plate filled with
2 cups water on other burner(s). Position cooking grate over burners.
Turn all burners to high and heat with lid down until very hot, about
15 minutes. Scrape grate clean with grill brush. Turn primary burner
to medium-high and turn off other burner(s).

4. Place brisket fat-side down on grate over cooler side of grill, as
far away from fire as possible without touching wall of grill. If
brisket has pronounced thicker side, position it facing fire. Loosely
tent meat with aluminum foil or build foil shield (see illustration
below). Cook, without raising lid, for 3 hours. Transfer brisket to
wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.

5. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325
degrees. Roast brisket until tender and instant-read thermometer
inserted into thickest part of meat registers 195 degrees, 1 1/2 to 2
hours. Transfer brisket to cutting board and let rest for 30 minutes,
loosely tented with foil. Cut brisket across grain into long, thin
slices and serve immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> >

> >>I keep meaning to braise a beef brisket. I have heard such good things
> >>about a long slow cooking of them.
> >>I have heard of braising it in chicken stock with white wine, carrots,
> >>onions, celery & etc. (& probly oyster mushrooms) but cant seem to
> >>intellectually get past my fixation with red wine and beef.

> > Last time I cooked a Brisket, I braised it. I just did not feel like
> > BBQ'ing. ;-) I used my table top roaster.
> >
> > It turned out VERY well! I did not remove the fat cap and cooked it fat
> > cap side up and roasted it up on a rack so it was not drowning in beef
> > grease.

> I like to use the layer of cut up carrots, onions & celery to rest the
> meat on. Then drain the liquid using a bit of pressure to get all the
> vegetable juices out of the cooked veggies, that liquid is then defatted
> and used for a sauce.
>
> Though i don't understand your use of the terms roasting and braising to
> describe the same piece of meat. Do you mean you brown (roast?) the
> meat in the oven and then set it to braise?
> --
> JL

A table top roaster pretty much steams or braises stuff due to the way
it's built, if there is any liquid involved. I HAVE dry baked biscuits
and stuff in it. I just have to make an effort to keep it dry.

I don't currently have a working stove/oven. All cooking is being done
on hot plates, table top roaster, microwave and electric grill and has
for the past 18 months or so.

I've had other priorities for money so I've not yet paid for a repair...

The oven was coming on spontaniously so it's been unplugged.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:22:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> Is there any trick to
>shredding it? Especially when it's still hot.

Just make sure the handles on the two FORKS are cool while
shredding!...<vbg>

BEEF BRISKET Tracy Carman[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-07-2010 01:47 PM
BBQ Beef Brisket with wet-dry rub Rusty[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-05-2008 02:58 AM
Beef Brisket Pat Shipp Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2008 05:19 PM
Beef brisket Bill Barbecue 34 16-01-2007 05:44 PM
Beef Brisket Mr Libido Incognito Diabetic 0 13-08-2005 12:19 AM