Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Country Style Ribs - How To?

I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to grill.

Do you cook these hot and fast, 325F+ for 2 hours indirect, or slow 250F for
longer.
What do you use for rub?
Do you start hot to brown and go low and slow after?

If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous
look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
They basically boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan
on the Weber charcoal grill. Whatever happened to the oven indoors if you're
going to do this like this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs,
> and I'm set to
> grill.

You DO realize that these are actually cut from the
Boston Butt and made to look like ribs, don't you?
Did you pay almost twice as much for them as you
would have paid for the butt?

> Do you cook these hot and fast, 325F+ for 2 hours
> indirect, or slow
> 250F for longer.

Yes. Either, but don't watch the clock. Go by
tenderness and doneness.

> What do you use for rub?

A rub that I would use for ribs if I was trying to
make imitation ribs. Basically, anything that you
would like on pork will work.

> Do you start hot to brown and go low and slow
> after?

Whatever, dude. Which would you like? Char-Rare
comes to mind for some reason.

> If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to
> point where it's
> humerous look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
> They basically boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and
> beer in an
> aluminum pan on the Weber charcoal grill. Whatever
> happened to the
> oven indoors if you're going to do this like this.

It figures that you would like something like that.
How could they get any smoke in the sauce in the
oven?

> Thanks for any thoughts.

Whatever.

> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to grill.
>
> Do you cook these hot and fast, 325F+ for 2 hours indirect, or slow 250F
> for longer.
> What do you use for rub?
> Do you start hot to brown and go low and slow after?

> Kent

I prefer the bone in, but the boneless can work too. Do them slow, about
250 for a few hours. Cut from the butt, they will take some time to
tenderize. No need to brown them at all.

As for rubs, use anything you'd use on regular ribs or butts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
> wrote,
>On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:46:26 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to grill.

>Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
>
>I'm not biting.

I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

David Harmon > wrote in
m:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
> > wrote,
>>On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:46:26 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to
>>> grill.

>>Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
>>
>>I'm not biting.

> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.

umm McRibs springs to mind

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Charly Horse wrote:
> David Harmon > wrote in
> m:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
>> > wrote,

>>> Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
>>>
>>> I'm not biting.

>> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.
>>

> umm McRibs springs to mind

Oh, sure, if you believe a Mc actually HAS ribs. A Mc only has an
exoskeleton.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 7/1/2011 2:34 PM, David Harmon wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
> > wrote,
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:46:26 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to grill.

>> Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
>>
>> I'm not biting.

> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.

I think there is brainless ribs though...
BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1-Jul-2011, David Harmon > wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
> > wrote,
> >On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:46:26 -0700, Kent wrote:
> >
> >> I've got 5 lb of boneless country style pork ribs, and I'm set to
> >> grill.

> >Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
> >
> >I'm not biting.

> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.

You're being victimized by creative naming in the butcher trade.
'Country Ribs' are simply lengthwise cuts from pork butt. Some
will have some bone in, but many will be boneless depending on
what part of the butt they're cut from. Of course they are not ribs
at all, but you will find meat labeled 'Country Ribs' in meat cases
all over the country.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 1-Jul-2011, David Harmon > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz
>> > wrote,

>> >Once I saw this in RFC I knew he'd miltipost it here , too.
>> >
>> >I'm not biting.

>> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.

> You're being victimized by creative naming in the butcher trade.
> 'Country Ribs' are simply lengthwise cuts from pork butt. Some
> will have some bone in, but many will be boneless depending on
> what part of the butt they're cut from. Of course they are not ribs
> at all, but you will find meat labeled 'Country Ribs' in meat cases
> all over the country.
>
> --
> Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

No matter what they are called and no matter where they come from, they are
one of my favorites to cook. Economical too, but the price seems to be
rising with the increased popularity of them.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Jul-2011, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > On 1-Jul-2011, David Harmon > wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:37:25 -0500 in alt.food.barbecue, Sqwertz

> >> I don't believe there is any such thing as boneless ribs.

> > You're being victimized by creative naming in the butcher trade.
> > 'Country Ribs' are simply lengthwise cuts from pork butt. Some
> > will have some bone in, but many will be boneless depending on
> > what part of the butt they're cut from. Of course they are not ribs
> > at all, but you will find meat labeled 'Country Ribs' in meat cases
> > all over the country.
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

> No matter what they are called and no matter where they come from, they
> are
> one of my favorites to cook. Economical too, but the price seems to be
> rising with the increased popularity of them.

Too right Ed. I seem to have fallen out of the habit of keeping country ribs
on hand. I'll have to remedy that. I distinctly remember ordering up whole
butts at the butcher's and having him cut them up into 'country ribs' right
on the spot. The reason being that his 'ribs' already cut up and in the case
were $0.50/lb higher then whole butts. They didn't seem to mind cutting
butts for me, so what the hey? I have also asked for 'thin cut' pork chops
and been asked to wait 24 hrs to give them time to cut from a whole frozen
loin. It's hard to cut thin chops from a 'limp' loin.

Nice thing about country ribs is that they work well for just one or two
servings and it's easy to gage amount of meat for each plate.
--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)