Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Meat Tenderizer

Does anybody here use meat tenderizer? What's the opinions on this? I
have started adding some to my rubs.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 25, 1:40*pm, wrote:
> Does anybody here use meat tenderizer? What's the opinions on this? I
> have started adding some to my rubs.
> If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
> warning.

I put it in my rib and brisket and pulled pork rubs. And when they
come off after the long cook, they get a small can of pineapple juice
in the bag we rest them in, in the cooler. Delicious, tender, and
wonderful. People are paying us to make them now.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/27/2010 11:55 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/26/2010 05:35 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Sounds good.
>>> Wonder how it'd work on Brisket?

>> There I'd have to draw the line. I have never found anything fruit-based
>> to be that compatible with beef. At that point I might even concede that
>> MSG has an edge just due to the sodium content, if used sparingly.

> <lol> MSG is likely why the brisket I did Monday night turned out so
> well, but next time, I bring the internal temp to 200 instead of 180.
> Tenderness was barely acceptable.

Now that's interesting. I've seen the pros take it into the low to mid
300s and claim it far more tender.

I suspect that the meat cap and fat baste is the key tenderizer, and of
course if you have a moist enough cooker, or just foil wrap it to
finish, the juices stay in.

Might be time to experiment and go for a low slow overnight cook, aim
for 14 hours even.

Of course I've seen the deli guys go for quick hot (450) 90 minutes and
use a broth bath underneath.

Both seem to work.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:19:51 -0700, Cleatarrior >
wrote:

>On 10/27/2010 11:55 AM, Omelet wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

>>> There I'd have to draw the line. I have never found anything fruit-based
>>> to be that compatible with beef. At that point I might even concede that
>>> MSG has an edge just due to the sodium content, if used sparingly.

>> <lol> MSG is likely why the brisket I did Monday night turned out so
>> well, but next time, I bring the internal temp to 200 instead of 180.
>> Tenderness was barely acceptable.

>Now that's interesting. I've seen the pros take it into the low to mid
>300s and claim it far more tender.
>
>I suspect that the meat cap and fat baste is the key tenderizer, and of
>course if you have a moist enough cooker, or just foil wrap it to
>finish, the juices stay in.
>
>Might be time to experiment and go for a low slow overnight cook, aim
>for 14 hours even.
>
>Of course I've seen the deli guys go for quick hot (450) 90 minutes and
>use a broth bath underneath.
>
>Both seem to work.

Is that 300 internal temp? At some point wouldn't it have to dry out
or turn to mush taking it to 300? Not at all saying it can't be done,
just curious about how to do it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/27/2010 01:23 PM, mike wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:19:51 -0700, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2010 11:55 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> <lol> MSG is likely why the brisket I did Monday night turned out so
>>> well, but next time, I bring the internal temp to 200 instead of 180.
>>> Tenderness was barely acceptable.

>> Now that's interesting. I've seen the pros take it into the low to mid
>> 300s and claim it far more tender.
>>
>> I suspect that the meat cap and fat baste is the key tenderizer, and of
>> course if you have a moist enough cooker, or just foil wrap it to
>> finish, the juices stay in.
>>
>> Might be time to experiment and go for a low slow overnight cook, aim
>> for 14 hours even.
>>
>> Of course I've seen the deli guys go for quick hot (450) 90 minutes and
>> use a broth bath underneath.
>>
>> Both seem to work.

> Is that 300 internal temp?

And more, even up to 365f (I never went that far)!!!

> At some point wouldn't it have to dry out
> or turn to mush taking it to 300? Not at all saying it can't be done,
> just curious about how to do it.

This is what I've seen from the pitmasters with the big commercial smokers.

I'm due to try one soon, so I'll report back what I get, but my little
cookshack isn't a fair comparison because I have to open the door every
now and then to load more wood chips.

It may be that with so many cuts on so many rotating racks they keep
their own internal moisture levels high enough to prevent drying, but
I've seen the stuff cut and it oozes out juice. Just keep the fat cap on
and don't trim it back much, and keep a tray of something wet (beer)
underneath for flavor and moistness and to catch the drippings.

If that works out you can add dry rub to the drippings, boil down, and
re-juice that brisket before serving too. Also I think it's good not to
let the cook temp get over 325 for the bulk of the time.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Oct-2010, Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 10/27/2010 11:55 AM, Omelet wrote:

.. . .

> Now that's interesting. I've seen the pros take it into the low to mid
> 300s and claim it far more tender.

Methinks you have misread somewhere about that 300+ thing Cleat.
Brisket will be history at that internal temperature. You start going
marginal around 210F internal. And I don't go that far except by
accident. I shoot for 195F. Some are good at 180F, but that's on
the marginal low end. Better to go a little higher and be happy if
you end up between 185 and 195F.

> I suspect that the meat cap and fat baste is the key tenderizer, and of
> course if you have a moist enough cooker, or just foil wrap it to
> finish, the juices stay in.
>
> Might be time to experiment and go for a low slow overnight cook, aim
> for 14 hours even.
>
> Of course I've seen the deli guys go for quick hot (450) 90 minutes and
> use a broth bath underneath.

That's a whole different ball game and I'd hardly call it BBQ. Low and
slow for 14 hours sounds good as long as you end up between 185 and
195. (Or somewhere in that ballpark.) It ain't rocket science. Cook it
until the collogen has all converted and you have BBQ brisket.

--
Brick (Different strokes for different folks.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10/27/2010 05:52 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2010 11:55 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> <lol> MSG is likely why the brisket I did Monday night turned out so
>>> well, but next time, I bring the internal temp to 200 instead of 180.
>>> Tenderness was barely acceptable.

>> Now that's interesting. I've seen the pros take it into the low to mid
>> 300s and claim it far more tender.

> Are we talking pit temp here or meat thermometer temp?

Now I'm wondering, I heard one old timer call it as final meat temp.

> I was talking probe (meat internal) temp of 200.
> I cheated and pre-braised in the roaster prior to smoking due to limited
> time.

See if you did a deli style brisket at 450 oven temp for 90 minutes I'm
darned sure it'd hit 350 meat temp or so.

>> I suspect that the meat cap and fat baste is the key tenderizer, and of
>> course if you have a moist enough cooker, or just foil wrap it to
>> finish, the juices stay in.
>>
>> Might be time to experiment and go for a low slow overnight cook, aim
>> for 14 hours even.
>>
>> Of course I've seen the deli guys go for quick hot (450) 90 minutes and
>> use a broth bath underneath.
>>
>> Both seem to work.

> Oh it's plenty juicy! And the flavor was excellent. Just a bit tougher
> than I wanted and I warned the recipients.
> They also got about 4 lbs. of sausage and a dozen chicken thighs.

They be lucky dogs!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
rob rob is offline

On Oct 27, 9:23*pm, Cleatarrior > wrote:
> .................................................. ..................................
> See if you did a deli style brisket at 450 oven temp for 90 minutes I'm
> darned sure it'd hit 350 meat temp or so.
> .................................................. .......................................

????

No matter how much heat you put on a pot of boiling water, the water
temperature will remain at 212°F (@ normal ambient temperture and
pressure). When cooking any meat, "I'm darned sure" the internal would
approach 212° and hold there until all moisture is removed by the
heat. After that, additional heat would only be heating something
resembling dried wood. A 350° interior temperature of meat is
possible, but the appearance would resemble a chunk of charcoal.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> Actually, I've been doing my pork spares at 375. ;-)
> And they've been awesome. There is one tech (a PT in training) at the
> clinic that has been the recipient of my efforts of late that is also
> a fellow offset pit cooker.

That works. Ribs are a 'quick cook' due to the relatively small amount of
meat to cook. HOWEVER, quicker cooking at 375F MAY reduce the level of
'smokiness' to the slab. The same holds true with chicken. The key to all
bbq is to balance the time that it takes to achieve tenderness vs. the
amount of moisture loss vs the amount of smoke uptake (smoke uptake is a
matter of time, not the denseness of the smoke. Heavy clouds of smoke leads
to 'coating' the meat with bitterness. One needs a thin, almost invisible
stream of smoke over a longer period of time to acheive a more 'robust'
smoke-flavor).

--
Dave Bugg
"For it's 'guns this' and 'guns that', and 'chuck 'em out, the brutes',

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-Oct-2010, rob > wrote:

> On Oct 27, 9:23*pm, Cleatarrior > wrote:
> > .................................................. .................................
> > See if you did a deli style brisket at 450 oven temp for 90 minutes I'm
> > darned sure it'd hit 350 meat temp or so.
> > .................................................. ......................................

> ????
>
> No matter how much heat you put on a pot of boiling water, the water
> temperature will remain at 212°F (@ normal ambient temperture and
> pressure). When cooking any meat, "I'm darned sure" the internal would
> approach 212° and hold there until all moisture is removed by the
> heat. After that, additional heat would only be heating something
> resembling dried wood. A 350° interior temperature of meat is
> possible, but the appearance would resemble a chunk of charcoal.

And it would taste about as good as well processed charcoal too.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2010 01:23 PM, mike wrote:

>> > Is that 300 internal temp?

>> And more, even up to 365f (I never went that far)!!!
>>
>> > At some point wouldn't it have to dry out
>> > or turn to mush taking it to 300? Not at all saying it can't be done,
>> > just curious about how to do it.

>> This is what I've seen from the pitmasters with the big commercial
>> smokers.
>>
>> I'm due to try one soon, so I'll report back what I get, but my little
>> cookshack isn't a fair comparison because I have to open the door every
>> now and then to load more wood chips.
>>
>> It may be that with so many cuts on so many rotating racks they keep
>> their own internal moisture levels high enough to prevent drying, but
>> I've seen the stuff cut and it oozes out juice. Just keep the fat cap on
>> and don't trim it back much, and keep a tray of something wet (beer)
>> underneath for flavor and moistness and to catch the drippings.
>>
>> If that works out you can add dry rub to the drippings, boil down, and
>> re-juice that brisket before serving too. Also I think it's good not to
>> let the cook temp get over 325 for the bulk of the time.

> I've considered marinade injection for brisket, but this got a dry rub
> and pre-braise in the table top roaster. The pit had the usual water
> bowl...
> --
> Peace! Om

What do you pre- braise in? You could braise in what you used to brine,
adding some water to bring the salt concentration down. I've brined with
1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty. In
fact, put water in your regular overnight brine solution and braise away.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> > I've considered marinade injection for brisket, but this got a dry rub
>> > and pre-braise in the table top roaster. The pit had the usual water
>> > bowl...
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> What do you pre- braise in? You could braise in what you used to brine,
>> adding some water to bring the salt concentration down. I've brined with
>> 1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty. In
>> fact, put water in your regular overnight brine solution and braise away.
>>
>> Kent

> Perhaps "braise" is the wrong term for what I did with it, and have done
> a few times in the past with beef ribs.
>
> The table top roaster is this:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmele...rstTestResults
> #5379148823423924674>
>
> I cook up on a rack over a catch pan so much of the fat can render off,
> but this toy retains a LOT of moisture so the effect is similar to
> braising. It tenderizes the meat and cooks it at an even temperature. I
> use the meat thermometer a lot. It's basically lazy cheating. ;-)
>
> Beef is then transfered out to the smoker where it can pick up some
> flavor from a better cooking environment.
>
> I basically do this to reduce or eliminate the risk of tough beef.
>
> I know it's Heresy (and not 100% "real" BBQ), but it works well.
>
> I never do it with pork or chicken, just known really tough beef cuts
> --
> Peace! Om

It sounds like you're steaming it, and then you smoke. That sounds great.
The following might be gross overkill. I think most of the smoke flavor is
absorbed by the meat in the very first part of the cook. You could smoke
awhile, then steam-braise and then smoke at the end to complete it. That
sounds like a lot of work even as I type.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:43:32 -0700, Kent wrote:

> I've brined with
> 1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty.

How do you take the density of salt into considering when you tell
people a 1oz measure by volume?

You just had a rant that lasted several days that chastised
everyone for not accounting for differences in densities and not
being perfectly exact.

And now here you go and do it yourself, with a substance who's
density varies by as much as 75% depending on the grain size.

Do you see the irony here, Kunt?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:43:32 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> I've brined with
>> 1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty.

> How do you take the density of salt into considering when you tell
> people a 1oz measure by volume?
>
> You just had a rant that lasted several days that chastised
> everyone for not accounting for differences in densities and not
> being perfectly exact.
>
> And now here you go and do it yourself, with a substance who's
> density varies by as much as 75% depending on the grain size.
>
> Do you see the irony here, Kunt?
>
> -sw

Our recipes are by volume. The volume represents so much weight based on
specific gravity. Our recipes in the US aren't by weight. They're by volume,
taking into consideration the specific gravity
ounces by volume of table salt per quart
% of table salt per quart by volume
ounce by weight of ounce by volume of table salt
% of table salt per quart by weight

1.00
3.13%
2.165
6.77%

Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind. It's your problem
with your blatant ego, coupled with your insecurity.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:43:32 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I've brined with
>>> 1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty.

>> How do you take the density of salt into considering when you tell
>> people a 1oz measure by volume?
>>
>> You just had a rant that lasted several days that chastised
>> everyone for not accounting for differences in densities and not
>> being perfectly exact.
>>
>> And now here you go and do it yourself, with a substance who's
>> density varies by as much as 75% depending on the grain size.
>>
>> Do you see the irony here, Kunt?
>>
>> -sw

This didn't come through properly; sorry for any confusion

Our recipes are by volume. The volume represents so much weight based on
specific gravity. Our recipes in the US aren't by weight. They're by
volume,
taking into consideration the specific gravity

1 ounce by volume of table salt = 3.13% of table salt per quart by volume
1 ounce by volume of table salt = 2.165 ounces by weight = Specifc Gravity
of table salt
1 ounce by volume of table salt = 6.77% solution of table salt per quart
by weight

Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind. It's your problem
with your blatant ego, coupled with your insecurity.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:07:56 -0700, Kent wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:43:32 -0700, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I've brined with
>>> 1oz by vol of salt to 1 quart water and it doesn't taste that salty.

>> How do you take the density of salt into considering when you tell
>> people a 1oz measure by volume?
>>
>> You just had a rant that lasted several days that chastised
>> everyone for not accounting for differences in densities and not
>> being perfectly exact.
>>
>> And now here you go and do it yourself, with a substance who's
>> density varies by as much as 75% depending on the grain size.
>>
>> Do you see the irony here, Kunt?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Our recipes are by volume. The volume represents so much weight based on
> specific gravity. Our recipes in the US aren't by weight. They're by volume,
> taking into consideration the specific gravity...

But you didn't specify what kind of salt you used. Een gicen the
sale grain size, sea salt has less sodium than table salt.

It's all about specifics, as per YOUR rant.

<snip a bunch of gobelty gook>

> Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind.

Blow me, Kunt. The dimmest bulb around here is YOU.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:41:40 -0700, Kent wrote:

> Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind. It's your problem
> with your blatant ego, coupled with your insecurity.

<yawn>.

Time for the Killfile, Kunt. You're an idiot not worth wasting my
valuable time.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:07:56 -0700, Kent wrote:

>>> How do you take the density of salt into considering when you tell
>>> people a 1oz measure by volume?
>>>
>>> You just had a rant that lasted several days that chastised
>>> everyone for not accounting for differences in densities and not
>>> being perfectly exact.
>>>
>>> And now here you go and do it yourself, with a substance who's
>>> density varies by as much as 75% depending on the grain size.
>>>
>>> Do you see the irony here, Kunt?
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Our recipes are by volume. The volume represents so much weight based on
>> specific gravity. Our recipes in the US aren't by weight. They're by
>> volume,
>> taking into consideration the specific gravity...

> But you didn't specify what kind of salt you used. Een gicen the
> sale grain size, sea salt has less sodium than table salt.
>
> It's all about specifics, as per YOUR rant.
>
> <snip a bunch of gobelty gook>
>
>> Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind.

> Blow me, Kunt. The dimmest bulb around here is YOU.
>
> -sw

I specified "table salt", or straight NaCl, which has a specific gravity of
2.165. All Kosher salts have different specific gravities. You have to know
the specific gravity of a specific brand of Kosher salt or sea salt or
any other NaCl salt and apply that. All of that basically boils down to
crystal size, and whatever else may be in the product that makes its taste
distinctive.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Our recipes are by volume. The volume represents so much weight based on
>>> specific gravity. Our recipes in the US aren't by weight. They're by
>>> volume,
>>> taking into consideration the specific gravity...

>> But you didn't specify what kind of salt you used. Een gicen the
>> sale grain size, sea salt has less sodium than table salt.
>>
>> It's all about specifics, as per YOUR rant.
>>
>> <snip a bunch of gobelty gook>
>>
>>> Squirt, your occasional degree of dimness blows the mind.

>> Blow me, Kunt. The dimmest bulb around here is YOU.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> I specified "table salt", or straight NaCl, which has a specific gravity
> of 2.165. All Kosher salts have different specific gravities. You have to
> know the specific gravity of a specific brand of Kosher salt or sea
> salt or any other NaCl salt and apply that. All of that basically boils
> down to crystal size, and whatever else may be in the product that makes
> its taste distinctive.
>
> Kent

But I use Kosher salt as my "table salt".

Please try to COMMUNICATE when you post to usernet.

If most of the people reading your replies cannot understand what you are
trying to say, you are NOT COMMUNICATING.

Are you related to Jerry Sauk?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> I specified "table salt", or straight NaCl, which has a specific gravity
>> of
>> 2.165. All Kosher salts have different specific gravities. You have to
>> know
>> the specific gravity of a specific brand of Kosher salt or sea salt or
>> any other NaCl salt and apply that. All of that basically boils down to
>> crystal size, and whatever else may be in the product that makes its
>> taste
>> distinctive.
>>
>> Kent

> Sorry Kent, but the majority of people, unless they are baking, do not
> follow recipes by science. ;-) The difference in specific gravity
> between different types of salts is negligible in a marinade. Really.
>
> Might be fun to play with if you are wired that way, but it makes little
> difference in the long term!
>
> Most people don't even know what a specific gravity is...
> I actually own a small SG meter as dad was needing it for his colloidal
> silver that he was making.
>
> So what percent salt solution do you make to measure it? SG is usually a
> measurement of PPM (parts per million) in a liquid media.
> --
> Peace! Om

The difference in the specific gravity of different types of salt is very
important in a marinade or brine and it's iimportant when you simply salt. .
That should always be adjusted.

The following is from the Virtual Weber Bullet
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html#salt and is a good general
outline to follow.
If a recipe calls for one up of table salt, the equivalent amount of Morton
Kosher Salt is 1-1/2 cups, and of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt it is 2 cups

Morton Kosher Salt weighs about 7.7 ounces per cup, making it three-fourths
as strong as table salt. Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs about 5 ounces
per cup, making it half as strong as table salt.

Everyone should know the difference between specific gravity, and I suspect
most here do. It's simply weight per volume. 1 ounce of NaCl, or table salt
weighs 2.16 ounces. 1 ounce oif Morton Kosher salt weighs 1.65 ounces. One
must adjust when changing salts to maintain the same concentration of NaCl
in your marinade or brine.

What I don't understand, and wish I did understand is why table salt, sea
salt, and different brands of Kosher salt have a different taste. Is there
something in each in minute quantities. Is it only the size of the salt
crystal, which determines the density, or specific gravity of each item?
Does that also affect taste? I doubt that it does.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand, and wish I did understand is why table salt, sea
>> salt, and different brands of Kosher salt have a different taste. Is
>> there
>> something in each in minute quantities. Is it only the size of the salt
>> crystal, which determines the density, or specific gravity of each item?
>> Does that also affect taste? I doubt that it does.
>>
>> Kent

> The difference in taste has to do with the purity. Pure NaCl with no
> trace minerals is going to taste different.
>
> Ever tried Himalayan pink salt? :-)
>
> It's called "Trace Minerals" Kent!
> --
> Peace! Om

That makes sense to me. No I haven't, on the Himalayan salt.

Kent

Powdered meat tenderizer? JW[_1_] General Cooking 11 07-04-2010 06:23 PM
jaccard meat tenderizer as by requst Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 10 07-01-2007 09:57 PM
Finally put my Jaccard meat tenderizer to use! Andy General Cooking 22 29-08-2006 03:31 AM
Meat tenderizer MH Cooking Equipment 2 18-11-2004 05:48 PM
Anyone know what a hobart meat tenderizer is worth? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 15-11-2003 03:36 AM