Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default FYI: Maverick ET-84HH Voice Alert Digital Thermometer

FYI
Sellout woot.com has got the Maverick ET-84HH Voice Alert Digital
Thermometer for 12.99 + $5 for shipping.
Not bad for reg retail of $59

--

Never Forget
http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ChairMan" > wrote in message
om...
> FYI
> Sellout woot.com has got the Maverick ET-84HH Voice Alert Digital
> Thermometer for 12.99 + $5 for shipping.
> Not bad for reg retail of $59

In for 1
not bad for thermo with 2 probes

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 7, 6:33*pm, "Larry Fisk" >
wrote:
> "ChairMan" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>
> > FYI
> > Sellout woot.com *has got the Maverick ET-84HH Voice Alert Digital
> > Thermometer for 12.99 + $5 for shipping.
> > Not bad for reg retail of $59

> In for 1
> not bad for thermo with 2 probes

Well, I took the bait and bought one of them. It's a pretty slick
gadget, you can program meat type, (beef, veal, pork, poultry and PGM
(or custom). . .also degree of doneness. . .rare, med rare etc. It
comes pre-programmed with FDA temperature recommendations for the
alerts, which can either be beeps, or voice announcements. I was able
to change these temperature settings pretty easily. . . promptly
changed the rare beef setting from the default of 140° to 130°. I
don't expect I'd want beef cooked much higher than that, if so, it's
pretty simple to readjust. If I'm doing a brisket, I'd bump up the
alerts on the well done setting to get it to the 190's before it
becomes too annoying. It also shows elapsed time, and estimated time
remaining until done. The unit begins to calculate after some time has
passed. Some meat has a plateau, which I imagine will throw it off,
but once it begins to rise again, it might regain accuracy. A nice
touch is an additional 600° stainless probe for medium temperature
grilling being included.
The downside: It needs a magnet on the housing(similar to the cheap
Taylor thermometers) to attach it to the side of the pit, not a big
deal; I can do a velcro thing. Since the housing is plastic, you
can't rest it on a hot pit unless you want thermometer fondue.
As I get to use the thing next week, I'll let ya'll know how it
behaves.
Pierre
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:

> The downside: It needs a magnet on the housing(similar to the cheap
> Taylor thermometers) to attach it to the side of the pit,

I'll not comment on the decision to purchase that specific Maverick (or any
Maverick, for that matter), but why would you want to self-destruct your
purchase by attaching to your pit? It doesn't bother me that it would
happen, merely curious.
--
Dave Bugg
"For it's 'guns this' and 'guns that', and 'chuck 'em out, the brutes',

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:01:25 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Pierre wrote:
>
>> The downside: It needs a magnet on the housing(similar to the cheap
>> Taylor thermometers) to attach it to the side of the pit,

> I'll not comment on the decision to purchase that specific Maverick (or any
> Maverick, for that matter), but why would you want to self-destruct your
> purchase by attaching to your pit? It doesn't bother me that it would
> happen, merely curious.

Well, most people don't run their pits hot enough to where the handled on
the hood spontaneously ignite and have call the fire department to wonder
why that happens ;-)

I've kept my Polder stuck to the lid and body of an ECBG with no problems.
On on offset you'd have even cooler spots to stick it on than the ECBG.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:01:25 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Pierre wrote:
>>
>>> The downside: It needs a magnet on the housing(similar to the cheap
>>> Taylor thermometers) to attach it to the side of the pit,

>> I'll not comment on the decision to purchase that specific Maverick
>> (or any Maverick, for that matter), but why would you want to
>> self-destruct your purchase by attaching to your pit? It doesn't
>> bother me that it would happen, merely curious.

> Well, most people don't run their pits hot enough to where the
> handled on the hood spontaneously ignite and have call the fire
> department to wonder why that happens ;-)
>
> I've kept my Polder stuck to the lid and body of an ECBG with no
> problems. On on offset you'd have even cooler spots to stick it on
> than the ECBG.

Huh. I wasn't much considering that there would be a plastic meltdown so
much as a breakdown of the electronics from the heat. I've always kept my
(now 10 year old) Polder off to one side on a table.

--
Dave Bugg
"For it's 'guns this' and 'guns that', and 'chuck 'em out, the brutes',
But they're the 'Savior of our loved ones' when the thugs begin to
loot." - Rudyard Kipling

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:52:20 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I'll not comment on the decision to purchase that specific Maverick
>>> (or any Maverick, for that matter), but why would you want to
>>> self-destruct your purchase by attaching to your pit? It doesn't
>>> bother me that it would happen, merely curious.

>> Well, most people don't run their pits hot enough to where the
>> handled on the hood spontaneously ignite and have call the fire
>> department to wonder why that happens ;-)
>>
>> I've kept my Polder stuck to the lid and body of an ECBG with no
>> problems. On on offset you'd have even cooler spots to stick it on
>> than the ECBG.

> Huh. I wasn't much considering that there would be a plastic meltdown so
> much as a breakdown of the electronics from the heat. I've always kept my
> (now 10 year old) Polder off to one side on a table.

It really is easier to keep it off the bullet. You can't see the display
if you put it on the body since the display flops down (Taylor, maybe not
Polder). But on the lid is awkward and it easy to knock off wherever it
is.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Pierre wrote:
> > The downside: It needs a magnet on the housing(similar to the cheap
> > Taylor thermometers) to attach it to the side of the pit,

<snip> why would you want to self-destruct your
> purchase by attaching to your pit? It doesn't bother me that it would
> happen, merely curious.
> --

Dave:
There's nothing to place the unit on nearby. A table for a
thermometer just won't work in this setup. Besides, a piece of foil
between the unit's magnet and the pit has been successful as a
heatsink in the past. (Haven't burned one up yet.)
Pierre