Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermometer, Why just why did they...

I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
I emailed the company but no response.
Anyone have a clue?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

g.711 wrote:
> I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
> however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
> the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
> just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
> I emailed the company but no response.
> Anyone have a clue?

I recently bought one also, and it works well, and has for over a month.

Like you, I hated the switch inside. And the fact that every time you
turn it on, you have to reset the temperatures for the alarms. And that
the defaults are SO lame. Like you, I sent them an email of suggestions
and questions. Like you, I got no reply.

Maybe the switch is inside the case so that it will be more waterproof.
If it was on the front panel, they'd have had to have used a better
grade $witch.

Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

g.711 wrote:

> I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
> however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
> the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
> just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
> I emailed the company but no response.
> Anyone have a clue?

It's s design flaw that baffles anyone who's ever used it. You'd
need to contact the manufacturer to find out what they were
thinking.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> g.711 wrote:
>
>> I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
>> however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
>> the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
>> just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
>> I emailed the company but no response.
>> Anyone have a clue?
>>

> It's s design flaw that baffles anyone who's ever used it. You'd
> need to contact the manufacturer to find out what they were
> thinking.

Mine was junk. The receiver would lose contact every few minutes and
never re-establish it unless I reset both transmitter and receiver. I
spent more time checking the remote than I ever would have checking the
actual pit.

--
Greetings from the Hog and Hominy State!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike Avery wrote:
> Maybe the switch is inside the case so that it will be more waterproof.
> If it was on the front panel, they'd have had to have used a better
> grade $witch.
>
> Mike

Yes I would agree that this would provide a bit of waterproofness, but
they can overcome this with blister buttons on the front outside and
still maintain waterproofness.
Well for the cost I guess you get what you pay for...

But I will send another email, just cause if bugs me so much.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg > wrote:
> g.711 wrote:
>
> > I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
> > however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
> > the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
> > just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
> > I emailed the company but no response.
> > Anyone have a clue?
> >

> It's s design flaw that baffles anyone who's ever used it. You'd
> need to contact the manufacturer to find out what they were
> thinking.

I'm such a cynic. I figure it's 'cause by taking off the cover you void the
warranty!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermometer, Why just why did they... PROBES

> wrote in message
> Reg > wrote:
>> g.711 wrote:
>>
>> > I just picked up the ET-73 dual probe thermometer, it works well
>> > however can anyone explain to me WHY the put the on/off switch INSIDE
>> > the transmitter? It drives me nuts that I have to take the cover off
>> > just to turn the unit off. Why I dont understand why they did this??
>> > I emailed the company but no response.
>> > Anyone have a clue?
>> >

>> It's s design flaw that baffles anyone who's ever used it. You'd
>> need to contact the manufacturer to find out what they were
>> thinking.

> I'm such a cynic. I figure it's 'cause by taking off the cover you void
> the
> warranty!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
> !
> ~Semper Fi~

Are the replacement probes the only option, or has anybody else found an
alternative?

remote thermometer for WSM Zz Yzx Barbecue 8 15-03-2012 05:03 PM
God remote thermometer? Sparkout Barbecue 21 06-01-2009 06:56 PM
remote thermometer charlyhorse Barbecue 4 02-10-2007 06:50 PM
remote thermometer dsjumper Barbecue 2 19-07-2005 07:58 PM
Maverick Redi-Check remote thermometers? Lew/+Silat Barbecue 4 25-07-2004 07:37 AM