Chef Juke

Default Update from Dave in Wenatchee....

Hey all,

Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.

The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
have had people lining up outside the door before they open.

I told him that I figured he'd been too busy to get online and he told
me that yep, he and Jill hadn't gotten home until 2:30 AM this morning
after doing cleanup, etc. (they've realized that working 12 hours and
THEN trying to clean the kitchen spotless is a bit much and are
looking for a cleaning co. to come in and do their nightly cleanup).

They have been working at getting their workflow down better each day
and it seems to be working...still will likely have more and more
improvements to do as they get more experience under their belt.

Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
gangbusters...

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

JakBQuik

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> gangbusters...

Thanks for the update, Jukester! Not surprising, given Dave's travels and
research to get the enterprise going. Enjoyed your pix. Wished I coulda
made it.

John in Austin

Craig Watts

>Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
>gangbusters...
>
>-Chef Juke
>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Hey Chef,

I was wondering where he smoked / cooked everything. Does he do it all
indoors or is there a brick cooker out back?

Craig
BigDog

Chef Juke wrote in alt.binaries.food

> Hey all,
>
> Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.
>
> The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
> have had people lining up outside the door before they open.
>
> I told him that I figured he'd been too busy to get online and he told
> me that yep, he and Jill hadn't gotten home until 2:30 AM this morning
> after doing cleanup, etc. (they've realized that working 12 hours and
> THEN trying to clean the kitchen spotless is a bit much and are
> looking for a cleaning co. to come in and do their nightly cleanup).
>
> They have been working at getting their workflow down better each day
> and it seems to be working...still will likely have more and more
> improvements to do as they get more experience under their belt.
>
> Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> gangbusters...
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Good on Dave, he deserves it.

--
BigDog,
To E-mail me, you know what to do.
Matthew L. Martin

Chef Juke wrote:

> Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> gangbusters...

That's great! I hope that Dave has time to plan for putting an addition
on. It sounds like he is going to need it.

Matthew

Nathan Lau

Chef Juke wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.
>
> The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
> have had people lining up outside the door before they open.
>
> I told him that I figured he'd been too busy to get online and he told
> me that yep, he and Jill hadn't gotten home until 2:30 AM this morning
> after doing cleanup, etc. (they've realized that working 12 hours and
> THEN trying to clean the kitchen spotless is a bit much and are
> looking for a cleaning co. to come in and do their nightly cleanup).
>
> They have been working at getting their workflow down better each day
> and it seems to be working...still will likely have more and more
> improvements to do as they get more experience under their belt.
>
> Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> gangbusters...

Chef,

thanks for the update. I actually dreamed I was there last night,
enjoying some of his brisket.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
bbq

Chef Juke wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.
>
> The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
> have had people lining up outside the door before they open.
>
> I told him that I figured he'd been too busy to get online and he told
> me that yep, he and Jill hadn't gotten home until 2:30 AM this morning
> after doing cleanup, etc. (they've realized that working 12 hours and
> THEN trying to clean the kitchen spotless is a bit much and are
> looking for a cleaning co. to come in and do their nightly cleanup).
>
> They have been working at getting their workflow down better each day
> and it seems to be working...still will likely have more and more
> improvements to do as they get more experience under their belt.
>
> Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> gangbusters...

Good to hear that things are going well. After recovering from Saturday
evenings festivities, I was able to try out a 1/2 rack of ribs on
Monday. They were very tender and delicious. The best I've had that
have not been cooked by me :-)

If business continues to do well, he has an easy opportunity to expand
his current operation with the lot next door.

Thanks for the pics and all you did to make the celebration a success.
It was very nice to meet all of you.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Ol' Hippie

Hey glad you made it home safe & sound. Email me and I will send you the
link to the pics I took.
Chef Juke has the link to a full on history from tearing up the lot to the
grand opening
http://www.chefjuke.com/daves/

I am not so technically advanced so I will have to send the link to ya.
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Tyler Hopper

"Craig Watts" > wrote in message
> >Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> >gangbusters...
> >
> >-Chef Juke
> >"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

> Hey Chef,
>
> I was wondering where he smoked / cooked everything. Does he do it all
> indoors or is there a brick cooker out back?
>
> Craig

He's got a big ass Ole Hickory. But sounds like he'll need another one soon.
__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Chef Juke

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:44:49 GMT,
(Craig Watts) wrote:

>>Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
>>gangbusters...
>>
>>-Chef Juke
>>"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

>Hey Chef,
>
>I was wondering where he smoked / cooked everything. Does he do it all
>indoors or is there a brick cooker out back?
>
>Craig

Craig,

He has a big "Ole Hickory" (
http://www.olehickorypits.com/) smoker.

You can see Dave's pit in this pic:
http://www.chefjuke.com/daves/html/daves-095.html

It is just to the left of center of the pic, in the back, with the
smokestack coming out of the top.

Given his volume on the FIRST day, and subsequent days, if this keeps
up, pretty soon he is either going to have to start cooking earlier in
the AM or consider getting a bigger or just another, pit.

Although I'd wait a bit until he was past the honeymoon stage before
considering changing or adding equip.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Craig Watts

>He has a big "Ole Hickory" (http://www.olehickorypits.com/) smoker.

Yikers! That's a set up. No standing in the rain on that one. Thanks
for the info you two.

Tyler,

What football game are you going to? Is UT Univ. of Texas?

I'll be at the NC State vs. Miami here in Raleigh. It starts at 7:45
pm. DAMN! I'll have to rent me a taxi or talk Cindy into DD duty. I
had DD duty last two games so I think I've earned it

Not only is the game at 7:45 at night the State fair is here with the
basketball Red and White game AND ESPN is going to be setting up Game
Day here!

Just don't know what to cook, what to cook,....... taps toe.......

Craig
Jack Curry

> Although I'd wait a bit until he was past the honeymoon stage before
> considering changing or adding equip.

Very smart, Juke. All new restaurants have a glut of business when they
open, as everyone is anxious to see if the place is good. In Dave's case, I
suspect he'll continue to have more customers than he can serve, but a
prudent businessman will let customers settle down before investing in added
capacity.
Besides, there's nothing better than the cachet of exclusivity..."You have
to get there early, because they sell out..."

Jack Curry
-Lovin' it for Dave-

Ol' Hippie

I have to agree, let the dust settle and see how each week, and month
develops. I am sure he is tracking all sorts of info. I bet it's a thrill
when he sees a returning customer anxious for the next great dinner.
My gut tell me he ought to be giving a bit of thought as to how to best
increase his throughput, without big expense. He may be in hiring mode
before too long.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Tyler Hopper

"Craig Watts" > wrote in message
> >He has a big "Ole Hickory" (http://www.olehickorypits.com/) smoker.
> >

> Yikers! That's a set up. No standing in the rain on that one. Thanks
> for the info you two.
>
> Tyler,
>
> What football game are you going to? Is UT Univ. of Texas?
>
> I'll be at the NC State vs. Miami here in Raleigh. It starts at 7:45
> pm. DAMN! I'll have to rent me a taxi or talk Cindy into DD duty. I
> had DD duty last two games so I think I've earned it
>
> Not only is the game at 7:45 at night the State fair is here with the
> basketball Red and White game AND ESPN is going to be setting up Game
> Day here!
>
> Just don't know what to cook, what to cook,....... taps toe.......
>
> Craig

Yep, it's Texas. Damn game starts at 18:00. Right before the Stro's and Sox
should start. It's cool because the let the kids in for free. It's a madhouse.

Please, tell NC state to whip their butts.

I'm sure our game will be televised. Just don't remember by who.

__________
ht_redneck

For email replies, remove an l

Jane

bbq > wrote in message news:<FwTdd.291605$D%.225381@attbi_s51>...
> Chef Juke wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.
> >
> > The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
> > have had people lining up outside the door before they open.
> >
> > I told him that I figured he'd been too busy to get online and he told
> > me that yep, he and Jill hadn't gotten home until 2:30 AM this morning
> > after doing cleanup, etc. (they've realized that working 12 hours and
> > THEN trying to clean the kitchen spotless is a bit much and are
> > looking for a cleaning co. to come in and do their nightly cleanup).
> >
> > They have been working at getting their workflow down better each day
> > and it seems to be working...still will likely have more and more
> > improvements to do as they get more experience under their belt.
> >
> > Anyway, thought y'all should know that they're going like
> > gangbusters...
> >

> Good to hear that things are going well. After recovering from Saturday
> evenings festivities, I was able to try out a 1/2 rack of ribs on
> Monday. They were very tender and delicious. The best I've had that
> have not been cooked by me :-)
>
> If business continues to do well, he has an easy opportunity to expand
> his current operation with the lot next door.
>
> Thanks for the pics and all you did to make the celebration a success.
> It was very nice to meet all of you.
>
> Happy Q'en,
> BBQ

I actually live very close to Dave's BBQ. I have not gone there yet
because I don't want to stand in line, but......tonight I think we
will call for takeout. How nice it is to have a new place to eat in
Wenatchee, especially one that is getting such nice comments. Jane

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.
>
> The restaurant has been busier and busier each day this week. They
> have had people lining up outside the door before they open.

Thanks for the update Juke. I figured he has been running around and
working hard. Glad to hear he has a line waiting. Now he just has to fine
tune things to the crowds.

Matthew L. Martin

Jane wrote:

> I actually live very close to Dave's BBQ. I have not gone there yet
> because I don't want to stand in line, but......tonight I think we
> will call for takeout. How nice it is to have a new place to eat in
> Wenatchee, especially one that is getting such nice comments. Jane

Please post a review for those of us who are far, far away.

Matthew (and for those who were there and got none:-)

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Ol' Hippie

OH PU-LEESE let us know how it is in real life, I was there for the
celebration and a small piece of Brisket and possibly a sausage is all I
got.
Your a local so let us know what you think.

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Chef Juke

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:20:07 -0700, "Ol' Hippie"
> wrote:

>I have to agree, let the dust settle and see how each week, and month
>develops. I am sure he is tracking all sorts of info. I bet it's a thrill
>when he sees a returning customer anxious for the next great dinner.
>My gut tell me he ought to be giving a bit of thought as to how to best
>increase his throughput, without big expense. He may be in hiring mode
>before too long.

This is just what he's working on. The first thing, actually, is
getting his Order to kitchen to plate to customer workflow more
efficient (this is what he's been focusing on this week after the
chaotic opening day). Then comes the working out of his smoking
schedule...He's gonna have to put more meat on sooner to be able to
have 'Que ready for folks later in the day, if his biz keeps up.

A lot of this is the stuff that you figure out with experience. I
suggested he always keep a clipboard with pad and pen handy so that as
he notes things to fix/adjust, etc, he can write them down so they
don't get lost when he's finally done for the day 12 hours later.

Also his Point of Sale system will be a great help in determining his
customer flow (although it sounds right now like he doesn't need help
knowing that a line out the door is a line out the door)...

I'm confident that he is thinking about the right things, and will be
able to quickly work out the kinks.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

F.G. Whitfurrows

Chef Juke wrote:

> Also his Point of Sale system will be a great help in determining his
> customer flow (although it sounds right now like he doesn't need help
> knowing that a line out the door is a line out the door)...

I'm not a restauranteur, I'm not even sure I can spell it, but around here a
line out the door is a big sign sayin' "HEY! THIS SUCKER CAN COOK!"

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Kevin Craig

In article >, Tyler Hopper
> wrote:

> Yep, it's Texas. Damn game starts at 18:00. Right before the Stro's and Sox
> should start. It's cool because the let the kids in for free. It's a madhouse.

*ahem*

I think you mis-spelled "Cards".

:-)

Kevin
bonedaddy

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message
> "Craig Watts" > wrote in message
>> >He has a big "Ole Hickory" (http://www.olehickorypits.com/) smoker.
>> >

>> Yikers! That's a set up. No standing in the rain on that one. Thanks
>> for the info you two.
>>
>> Tyler,
>>
>> What football game are you going to? Is UT Univ. of Texas?
>>
>> I'll be at the NC State vs. Miami here in Raleigh. It starts at 7:45
>> pm. DAMN! I'll have to rent me a taxi or talk Cindy into DD duty. I
>> had DD duty last two games so I think I've earned it
>>
>> Not only is the game at 7:45 at night the State fair is here with the
>> basketball Red and White game AND ESPN is going to be setting up Game
>> Day here!
>>
>> Just don't know what to cook, what to cook,....... taps toe.......
>>
>> Craig

> Yep, it's Texas. Damn game starts at 18:00. Right before the Stro's and
> Sox
> should start. It's cool because the let the kids in for free. It's a
> madhouse.
>
> Please, tell NC state to whip their butts.
>
> I'm sure our game will be televised. Just don't remember by who.

The game will be on TBS.

Wreck'em Tech

Chef Juke

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:36:59 -0700, Hotair
> wrote:

>Thanks for the update Chef, I finally got a few minutes free myself
>to get the computer up and running again, kids messed it up something
>awful while I was in Wenatchee.
>Just wanted to say what a great time we had and look forward to the
>next 'event' that we can all get together again.
>I've already penciled in the one year annniversary meet...<G>
>Maybe I'll venture down the coast a bit farther next summer.
>Dave in BC

Dave,

Yup, I had an excellent time myself (nothing better than getting to
play in someone else's kitchen and not have to do dishes
afterwards...)

Maybe next summer I'll have to have some kinda shinding at my place,
just to get some folks to come down this way....

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com

Robert Love

In > Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just spoke with Dave this morning to see how things were going.

Is he on Prozac? Are his customers?