Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Fly Preference

Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?
>
> -sw

Kalifornia flies will report you to the authorities for not having a
prop 65 warning on your smoked food...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:43:56 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
>> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
>> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
>> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

> Kalifornia flies will report you to the authorities for not having a
> prop 65 warning on your smoked food...

Actually, you can't even BBQ in most of CA nowadays (invoking
proposition 40).

Somebody in San Jose/Campbell was forced to close down because of
their pollution, IIRC. I think closing was the easy way out as
there were other solutions to the "problem".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:08:09 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

OK, so I took a jab at Californians, but I'm allowed to do that
:-) I was serious about the first part though. Does anybody but
me only notice flies when cooking beef?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?
>
> -sw

Good gods... I've been suffering from a really bad fly outbreak too.

I'm putting out drowning traps. They work.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:08:09 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> > Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> > cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
> > boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

> OK, so I took a jab at Californians, but I'm allowed to do that
> :-) I was serious about the first part though. Does anybody but
> me only notice flies when cooking beef?
>
> -sw

No.

It's just this year.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:08:09 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
>>> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
>>> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
>>> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

>> OK, so I took a jab at Californians, but I'm allowed to do that
>> :-) I was serious about the first part though. Does anybody but
>> me only notice flies when cooking beef?

> No.
>
> It's just this year.

Another post that doesn't make any sense.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
>> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
>> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
>> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

> Good gods... I've been suffering from a really bad fly outbreak too.

I'd see a doctor about that.

You haven't cooked any beef lately, so that is not pertinent to
what I just asked.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
rob rob is offline

On Jun 2, 4:08*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> cook pork? *And similarly, do California flies only go for
> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?
>
> -sw

Here, in Phoenix, AZ, the flies gather near Church's Chicken, lol.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> OK, so I took a jab at Californians, but I'm allowed to do that
> >> :-) I was serious about the first part though. Does anybody but
> >> me only notice flies when cooking beef?

> > No.
> >
> > It's just this year.

> Another post that doesn't make any sense.
>
> -sw

That's only because you've not had my fly problem lately! And I don't
have a compost heap.

Amkon feed burned down a few weeks ago and I used to purchase fly traps
there when I had no poultry. I no longer have a flock of pet birds but
have been horribly plagued with flies this year!

I think only drowning fly traps will solve my problem...

And even when I had ducks and chickens, I have NEVER EVER ONCE had the
fly problem I currently have in past years!

Quit being such a bitch and read the content.

Why do you hate me so?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
> >> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
> >> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
> >> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

> > Good gods... I've been suffering from a really bad fly outbreak too.

> I'd see a doctor about that.
>
> You haven't cooked any beef lately, so that is not pertinent to
> what I just asked.
>
> -sw

That's just because you don't get it...

Have you ALWAYS had a fly problem when cooking beef or has it just been
recently? If the latter, than my answer was pertinent.

I'd suggest fly control measures.

They flies have even been going after dry dog food. They have NEVER done
that before.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:33:49 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> It's just this year.

>> Another post that doesn't make any sense.
>>
>> -sw

> That's only because you've not had my fly problem lately! And I don't
> have a compost heap.
>
> Amkon feed burned down a few weeks ago and I used to purchase fly traps
> there when I had no poultry. I no longer have a flock of pet birds but
> have been horribly plagued with flies this year!
>
> I think only drowning fly traps will solve my problem...
>
> And even when I had ducks and chickens, I have NEVER EVER ONCE had the
> fly problem I currently have in past years!
>
> Why do you hate me so?

What does ANY of this have to do with smoking beef? I have
noticed this over a course of 10 years. If it was just this once,
I would not have come to this conclusion yet.

> Quit being such a bitch and read the content.

Indeed.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:35:50 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:43:08 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> Good gods... I've been suffering from a really bad fly outbreak too.

>> I'd see a doctor about that.
>>
>> You haven't cooked any beef lately, so that is not pertinent to
>> what I just asked.
>>
>> -sw

> That's just because you don't get it...

Oh, that ain't the bee's knees.

> Have you ALWAYS had a fly problem when cooking beef or has it just been
> recently? If the latter, than my answer was pertinent.

Apparently not as I only singled out beef and excluded chicken and
pork and anything else. It was obvious that I've made this
observation over a period of time.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:53:54 -0700 (PDT), rob wrote:

> On Jun 2, 4:08*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
>> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
>> cook pork? *And similarly, do California flies only go for
>> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?

> Here, in Phoenix, AZ, the flies gather near Church's Chicken, lol.

Now there's one dumpster I won't **** behind.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:35:50 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> I'd see a doctor about that.
> >>
> >> You haven't cooked any beef lately, so that is not pertinent to
> >> what I just asked.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > That's just because you don't get it...

> Oh, that ain't the bee's knees.
> >
> > Have you ALWAYS had a fly problem when cooking beef or has it just been
> > recently? If the latter, than my answer was pertinent.

> Apparently not as I only singled out beef and excluded chicken and
> pork and anything else. It was obvious that I've made this
> observation over a period of time.
>
> -sw

It wasn't that obvious at all babe...

But in answer to your question, there is a reason that I've always
preferred to do home slaughtering in the winter or early spring. Red
meat (deer and emu, never done a cow) do seem to attract more flies than
smaller game. I think it's that it tends to be a bit bloodier.

Frankly, I'm surprised the smoke does not keep the flies away.

But, do try drowning traps. They might help.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:08:09 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> Why do I only get flies when I smoke beef - Are they Texas Flies?
>> Do people in Missouri and the Carolinas only get flies when they
>> cook pork? And similarly, do California flies only go for
>> boneless, skinless, chicken breasts?
>>

> OK, so I took a jab at Californians, but I'm allowed to do that
> :-) I was serious about the first part though. Does anybody but
> me only notice flies when cooking beef?
>
> -sw

Not in FL...