Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default On horizontal pits

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/14/2010 9:35 PM, Omelet wrote:

> >> I'm curious, what does elm impart by way of smoke flavor?
> >>
> >> I've never used it.

> > It is pretty neutral. I only ever use it (and/or oak) as a base wood.
> > Other stuff such as pecan and/or mesquite go on for flavoring. Hackberry
> > is another wood that some people eschew, but I've also used it
> > successfully as a neutral base just to get a good bed of coals going for
> > heat.
> >
> > I also have Privet (aka Japanese ligustrum).
> >
> > I only have .22 acres, but a LOT of older trees!

> I appreciate the insight. I favor pecan and peach myself, and cherry
> when I can get it.

Pecan is good when I can get it. I watch for people pruning but there
are others that want it too. <g> To date, my favorite yard wood has
been Mimosa. Milder than mesquite with a similar flavor. I have a
small stash of it still for that next batch of Canadian bacon...

I had a small mimosa tree die and fall over, and I scored some dead
branches from the neighbors tree as well.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Oh yeah, the plague of grill flies, been there, hated that...

> > Bucket Citronella candles guys!!! A good smokey fire will also drive
> > them off.

> How about during the heat of the day?

Citronella will work any time of day or night. I use it more to chase
off mosquitos tho' when I'm working outside or grilling. There are also
tiki lamps and they sell citronella lamp oil around here for those.

If I have a fly problem, I hang those drowning fly traps. "Rescue fly"
above head level in the trees. If you hang them high, you don't smell
them when they start getting filled up with dead flies. They can get
pretty rank.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 3:06 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2010 9:35 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> It is pretty neutral. I only ever use it (and/or oak) as a base wood.
>>> Other stuff such as pecan and/or mesquite go on for flavoring. Hackberry
>>> is another wood that some people eschew, but I've also used it
>>> successfully as a neutral base just to get a good bed of coals going for
>>> heat.
>>>
>>> I also have Privet (aka Japanese ligustrum).
>>>
>>> I only have .22 acres, but a LOT of older trees!

>> I appreciate the insight. I favor pecan and peach myself, and cherry
>> when I can get it.

> Pecan is good when I can get it. I watch for people pruning but there
> are others that want it too.<g> To date, my favorite yard wood has
> been Mimosa. Milder than mesquite with a similar flavor. I have a
> small stash of it still for that next batch of Canadian bacon...
>
> I had a small mimosa tree die and fall over, and I scored some dead
> branches from the neighbors tree as well.

Wow, that's as obscure as I've heard on woods, I presume it has a sweet
flavor?

Pecan, to my pallet simply has the best balance of sweetness and savory
of all the woods.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 3:09 AM, Omelet wrote:

>>> Bucket Citronella candles guys!!! A good smokey fire will also drive
>>> them off.

>> How about during the heat of the day?

> Citronella will work any time of day or night. I use it more to chase
> off mosquitos tho' when I'm working outside or grilling. There are also
> tiki lamps and they sell citronella lamp oil around here for those.

I need to leave open buckets of it around ;-)

> If I have a fly problem, I hang those drowning fly traps. "Rescue fly"
> above head level in the trees. If you hang them high, you don't smell
> them when they start getting filled up with dead flies. They can get
> pretty rank.

I'll sure look into that, not a bad recommendation at all - keep it out
of visual/nasal range.

My fly strips do start to look pretty depressing by July. The Swallows
are not pulling their weight near enough...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 3:04 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Fire ant damaged fawns had a low survival rate, but even saving one was
>>> rewarding enough to try...

>> Good on you, a noble task.

> Thanks. :-)
> My family and I did wildlife rescue volunteer work for about 15 years...
> It had it's rewards and sadness, but overall, it was good!
>
> There is one picture in my "pets" album on Picassa of some baby skunks.
> Skunks were one of mine and mom's favorite critters to bottle feed.
> Sweet and funny little beasts! I need to scan more of the pics I have
> of the wild ones and make a separate album.
>
> Cheers!

Very cute, but when do the defense glands begin to start working?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > Pecan is good when I can get it. I watch for people pruning but there
> > are others that want it too.<g> To date, my favorite yard wood has
> > been Mimosa. Milder than mesquite with a similar flavor. I have a
> > small stash of it still for that next batch of Canadian bacon...
> >
> > I had a small mimosa tree die and fall over, and I scored some dead
> > branches from the neighbors tree as well.

> Wow, that's as obscure as I've heard on woods, I presume it has a sweet
> flavor?
>
> Pecan, to my pallet simply has the best balance of sweetness and savory
> of all the woods.

It may be obscure, but one can find it easily on the 'net as a good
smoking wood by googling.

See, Mesquite is in the Acacia family. So is Mimosa so it made sense.
The leaves, thorns and seed pods are virtually identical.

And yes, it's sweeter than Mesquite. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/16/2010 3:09 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> How about during the heat of the day?

> > Citronella will work any time of day or night. I use it more to chase
> > off mosquitos tho' when I'm working outside or grilling. There are also
> > tiki lamps and they sell citronella lamp oil around here for those.

> I need to leave open buckets of it around ;-)

Yah gotta light the wicks! <g> Home stores and wal-mart often sell
Citronella candles in buckets. The tikis work well too and I personally
find burning citronella oil to be pleasant smelling.

> > If I have a fly problem, I hang those drowning fly traps. "Rescue fly"
> > above head level in the trees. If you hang them high, you don't smell
> > them when they start getting filled up with dead flies. They can get
> > pretty rank.

> I'll sure look into that, not a bad recommendation at all - keep it out
> of visual/nasal range.

Precisely! Rescue Fly traps, I purchased them primarily from Lowe's but
I'm sure you can find a distributor, or just order them on line.

I just did a quick google and it appears that Amazon.com has quite a
number of them. They sound a bit expensive at first, but each one lasted
me a couple of months. Just top them off with water as it evaporates and
when it gets full of dead flies, DOUBLE BAG IT in a good pair of trash
bags and discard it.

> My fly strips do start to look pretty depressing by July. The Swallows
> are not pulling their weight near enough...

--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/16/2010 3:04 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> Good on you, a noble task.

> > Thanks. :-)
> > My family and I did wildlife rescue volunteer work for about 15 years...
> > It had it's rewards and sadness, but overall, it was good!
> >
> > There is one picture in my "pets" album on Picassa of some baby skunks.
> > Skunks were one of mine and mom's favorite critters to bottle feed.
> > Sweet and funny little beasts! I need to scan more of the pics I have
> > of the wild ones and make a separate album.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Very cute, but when do the defense glands begin to start working?

They work from day one. ;-) The trick is to treat them so they feel no
need to use them. Mom and I used to treat them with gentle roughness if
you know what I mean. Kinda like the way you tease kittens to get them
to play with you.

The rehabber we passed them on to would put them in a very large pen and
give them as little contact as possible so that they'd be more likely to
use the spray defense. Once they did start using it, she'd set them
free.

Usually 5 to 6 months of age. We took them to Sally when they were
around 9 weeks old.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 8:18 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Pecan is good when I can get it. I watch for people pruning but there
>>> are others that want it too.<g> To date, my favorite yard wood has
>>> been Mimosa. Milder than mesquite with a similar flavor. I have a
>>> small stash of it still for that next batch of Canadian bacon...
>>>
>>> I had a small mimosa tree die and fall over, and I scored some dead
>>> branches from the neighbors tree as well.

>> Wow, that's as obscure as I've heard on woods, I presume it has a sweet
>> flavor?
>>
>> Pecan, to my pallet simply has the best balance of sweetness and savory
>> of all the woods.

> It may be obscure, but one can find it easily on the 'net as a good
> smoking wood by googling.
>
> See, Mesquite is in the Acacia family. So is Mimosa so it made sense.
> The leaves, thorns and seed pods are virtually identical.
>
> And yes, it's sweeter than Mesquite. :-)

Interesting, I've had to be careful with Mesquite because it can be a
bit acrid in quantity. With Pecan I never have that issue, same for
peach and cherry.

I guess if goes to whether you're using all wood for the coal base and
smoke, or a charcoal base with wood chunks for the finish.

With Pecan I can go either way and be satisfied of a mellow and tasty smoke.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 8:23 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/2010 3:09 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Citronella will work any time of day or night. I use it more to chase
>>> off mosquitos tho' when I'm working outside or grilling. There are also
>>> tiki lamps and they sell citronella lamp oil around here for those.

>> I need to leave open buckets of it around ;-)

> Yah gotta light the wicks!<g> Home stores and wal-mart often sell
> Citronella candles in buckets. The tikis work well too and I personally
> find burning citronella oil to be pleasant smelling.

It is the best aroma, yes.

As a skin repellant I've had terrible results.

I guess what I'm saying is I need something for all day use, and candles
blow out.

>>> If I have a fly problem, I hang those drowning fly traps. "Rescue fly"
>>> above head level in the trees. If you hang them high, you don't smell
>>> them when they start getting filled up with dead flies. They can get
>>> pretty rank.

>> I'll sure look into that, not a bad recommendation at all - keep it out
>> of visual/nasal range.

> Precisely! Rescue Fly traps, I purchased them primarily from Lowe's but
> I'm sure you can find a distributor, or just order them on line.

I found them.

> I just did a quick google and it appears that Amazon.com has quite a
> number of them. They sound a bit expensive at first, but each one lasted
> me a couple of months. Just top them off with water as it evaporates and
> when it gets full of dead flies, DOUBLE BAG IT in a good pair of trash
> bags and discard it.

A very cool solution, I'll check back in with a report!

>> My fly strips do start to look pretty depressing by July. The Swallows
>> are not pulling their weight near enough...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/16/2010 8:26 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/2010 3:04 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Thanks. :-)
>>> My family and I did wildlife rescue volunteer work for about 15 years...
>>> It had it's rewards and sadness, but overall, it was good!
>>>
>>> There is one picture in my "pets" album on Picassa of some baby skunks.
>>> Skunks were one of mine and mom's favorite critters to bottle feed.
>>> Sweet and funny little beasts! I need to scan more of the pics I have
>>> of the wild ones and make a separate album.
>>>
>>> Cheers!

>> Very cute, but when do the defense glands begin to start working?

> They work from day one. ;-) The trick is to treat them so they feel no
> need to use them. Mom and I used to treat them with gentle roughness if
> you know what I mean. Kinda like the way you tease kittens to get them
> to play with you.

Sure, they catch on pretty quickly.

> The rehabber we passed them on to would put them in a very large pen and
> give them as little contact as possible so that they'd be more likely to
> use the spray defense. Once they did start using it, she'd set them
> free.
>
> Usually 5 to 6 months of age. We took them to Sally when they were
> around 9 weeks old.

That's a great success story. I wonder if some catnip
and....no...scratch that goofy idea!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Wow, that's as obscure as I've heard on woods, I presume it has a sweet
> >> flavor?
> >>
> >> Pecan, to my pallet simply has the best balance of sweetness and savory
> >> of all the woods.

> > It may be obscure, but one can find it easily on the 'net as a good
> > smoking wood by googling.
> >
> > See, Mesquite is in the Acacia family. So is Mimosa so it made sense.
> > The leaves, thorns and seed pods are virtually identical.
> >
> > And yes, it's sweeter than Mesquite. :-)

> Interesting, I've had to be careful with Mesquite because it can be a
> bit acrid in quantity. With Pecan I never have that issue, same for
> peach and cherry.
>
> I guess if goes to whether you're using all wood for the coal base and
> smoke, or a charcoal base with wood chunks for the finish.
>
> With Pecan I can go either way and be satisfied of a mellow and tasty smoke.

Yes. I have that kind of luck with oak. :-)

I only top dress with mesquite as I've found it to be too strong when I
used it exclusively. I'll never do that again for smoking but I
understand that it's fine for grilling.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > Yah gotta light the wicks!<g> Home stores and wal-mart often sell
> > Citronella candles in buckets. The tikis work well too and I personally
> > find burning citronella oil to be pleasant smelling.

> It is the best aroma, yes.
>
> As a skin repellant I've had terrible results.

Were you using the essential oil? I've mixed up my own skin repellants,
but I gave up on that long ago and just use "Deep Woods Off".

> I guess what I'm saying is I need something for all day use, and candles
> blow out.

Fly control. If it is a real issue, see if you can find the source and
sprinkle a packet of fly parasites on it to hatch. It's quite effective
for people that own livestock and end up with manure piles.

Organic too. ;-)

> > Precisely! Rescue Fly traps, I purchased them primarily from Lowe's but
> > I'm sure you can find a distributor, or just order them on line.

> I found them.
>
> > I just did a quick google and it appears that Amazon.com has quite a
> > number of them. They sound a bit expensive at first, but each one lasted
> > me a couple of months. Just top them off with water as it evaporates and
> > when it gets full of dead flies, DOUBLE BAG IT in a good pair of trash
> > bags and discard it.

> A very cool solution, I'll check back in with a report!

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I used to have
chickens and ducks and more than just this one pet emu and no matter how
clean I tried to keep them, they did attract flies. The drowning fly
traps were a godsend.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/17/2010 6:52 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Yah gotta light the wicks!<g> Home stores and wal-mart often sell
>>> Citronella candles in buckets. The tikis work well too and I personally
>>> find burning citronella oil to be pleasant smelling.

>> It is the best aroma, yes.
>>
>> As a skin repellant I've had terrible results.

> Were you using the essential oil? I've mixed up my own skin repellants,
> but I gave up on that long ago and just use "Deep Woods Off".

Dunno, it was a shelf-product. Smelled great, the skeeters thought so
too ;-)

>> I guess what I'm saying is I need something for all day use, and candles
>> blow out.

> Fly control. If it is a real issue, see if you can find the source and
> sprinkle a packet of fly parasites on it to hatch. It's quite effective
> for people that own livestock and end up with manure piles.
>
> Organic too. ;-)

I had not researched that, thanks for another great tip.

>>> Precisely! Rescue Fly traps, I purchased them primarily from Lowe's but
>>> I'm sure you can find a distributor, or just order them on line.

>> I found them.
>>
>>> I just did a quick google and it appears that Amazon.com has quite a
>>> number of them. They sound a bit expensive at first, but each one lasted
>>> me a couple of months. Just top them off with water as it evaporates and
>>> when it gets full of dead flies, DOUBLE BAG IT in a good pair of trash
>>> bags and discard it.

>> A very cool solution, I'll check back in with a report!

> I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I used to have
> chickens and ducks and more than just this one pet emu and no matter how
> clean I tried to keep them, they did attract flies. The drowning fly
> traps were a godsend.

If they work as well as my yellow jacket bottles I'm aces!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Very cute, but when do the defense glands begin to start working?

> > They work from day one. ;-) The trick is to treat them so they feel no
> > need to use them. Mom and I used to treat them with gentle roughness if
> > you know what I mean. Kinda like the way you tease kittens to get them
> > to play with you.

> Sure, they catch on pretty quickly.

It's instinktive. <g>

> > The rehabber we passed them on to would put them in a very large pen and
> > give them as little contact as possible so that they'd be more likely to
> > use the spray defense. Once they did start using it, she'd set them
> > free.
> >
> > Usually 5 to 6 months of age. We took them to Sally when they were
> > around 9 weeks old.

> That's a great success story. I wonder if some catnip
> and....no...scratch that goofy idea!

Crack to baby skunks was live mealworms. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > Fly control. If it is a real issue, see if you can find the source and
> > sprinkle a packet of fly parasites on it to hatch. It's quite effective
> > for people that own livestock and end up with manure piles.
> >
> > Organic too. ;-)

> I had not researched that, thanks for another great tip.

Welcome! I was introduced to those by a friend back in high school. Her
father had horses. Natural insect parasites are a good thing as it's
sustainable.

You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
mantis egg cases are also available.

All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

> > I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I used to have
> > chickens and ducks and more than just this one pet emu and no matter how
> > clean I tried to keep them, they did attract flies. The drowning fly
> > traps were a godsend.

> If they work as well as my yellow jacket bottles I'm aces!

:-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>>> Fly control. If it is a real issue, see if you can find the source and
>>> sprinkle a packet of fly parasites on it to hatch. It's quite effective
>>> for people that own livestock and end up with manure piles.
>>>
>>> Organic too. ;-)

>> I had not researched that, thanks for another great tip.

> Welcome! I was introduced to those by a friend back in high school. Her
> father had horses. Natural insect parasites are a good thing as it's
> sustainable.
>
> You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
> carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
> lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
> of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
> mantis egg cases are also available.
>
> All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.
>
>>> I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I used to have
>>> chickens and ducks and more than just this one pet emu and no matter how
>>> clean I tried to keep them, they did attract flies. The drowning fly
>>> traps were a godsend.

>> If they work as well as my yellow jacket bottles I'm aces!

> :-)

Bah! Yellow jacket bottles.

I put a few of those out once, and umbrella wasps built a nest in one.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/17/2010 9:06 AM, Omelet wrote:

>>> They work from day one. ;-) The trick is to treat them so they feel no
>>> need to use them. Mom and I used to treat them with gentle roughness if
>>> you know what I mean. Kinda like the way you tease kittens to get them
>>> to play with you.

>> Sure, they catch on pretty quickly.

> It's instinktive.<g>
>

>>> The rehabber we passed them on to would put them in a very large pen and
>>> give them as little contact as possible so that they'd be more likely to
>>> use the spray defense. Once they did start using it, she'd set them
>>> free.
>>>
>>> Usually 5 to 6 months of age. We took them to Sally when they were
>>> around 9 weeks old.

>> That's a great success story. I wonder if some catnip
>> and....no...scratch that goofy idea!

> Crack to baby skunks was live mealworms. ;-)

Used to have a circus-bought chameleon that though the same thing!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/17/2010 9:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Fly control. If it is a real issue, see if you can find the source and
>>> sprinkle a packet of fly parasites on it to hatch. It's quite effective
>>> for people that own livestock and end up with manure piles.
>>>
>>> Organic too. ;-)

>> I had not researched that, thanks for another great tip.

> Welcome! I was introduced to those by a friend back in high school. Her
> father had horses. Natural insect parasites are a good thing as it's
> sustainable.
>
> You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
> carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
> lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
> of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
> mantis egg cases are also available.
>
> All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.

Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
didn't have to treat for spider mites!

>>> I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I used to have
>>> chickens and ducks and more than just this one pet emu and no matter how
>>> clean I tried to keep them, they did attract flies. The drowning fly
>>> traps were a godsend.

>> If they work as well as my yellow jacket bottles I'm aces!

> :-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/17/2010 9:06 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> Sure, they catch on pretty quickly.

> > It's instinktive.<g>

> >> That's a great success story. I wonder if some catnip
> >> and....no...scratch that goofy idea!

> > Crack to baby skunks was live mealworms. ;-)

> Used to have a circus-bought chameleon that though the same thing!

<lol> Gods that brings back memories!!!
They sold Chameleons (aka Anoles) on a leash at the Barnum and Bailey
Circus when I was about 4 years old. :-) Mom bought one and let it live
in her kitchen window with the plants for awhile. Not sure what finally
happened to that lizard...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
> > carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
> > lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
> > of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
> > mantis egg cases are also available.
> >
> > All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
>
> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
> didn't have to treat for spider mites!

I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The lacewing
larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

Cleatarrior > writes:

> On 4/17/2010 9:13 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> I had not researched that, thanks for another great tip.

> > Welcome! I was introduced to those by a friend back in high school. Her
> > father had horses. Natural insect parasites are a good thing as it's
> > sustainable.
> >
> > You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
> > carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
> > lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
> > of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
> > mantis egg cases are also available.
> >
> > All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
>
> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year
> we didn't have to treat for spider mites!

People pay good money for lacewing larvae and/or eggs. Great bio-control
in the garden.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.food.barbecue...)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/18/2010 3:43 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2010 9:06 AM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> It's instinktive.<g>

>>> Crack to baby skunks was live mealworms. ;-)

>> Used to have a circus-bought chameleon that though the same thing!

> <lol> Gods that brings back memories!!!
> They sold Chameleons (aka Anoles) on a leash at the Barnum and Bailey
> Circus when I was about 4 years old. :-) Mom bought one and let it live
> in her kitchen window with the plants for awhile. Not sure what finally
> happened to that lizard...

I had a horned toad for a while too, strikes me they both lived about 3
years. Not real interactive pets, but cool anyway. The hermit crab was
just plain weird. :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/18/2010 3:45 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
>>> carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
>>> lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
>>> of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
>>> mantis egg cases are also available.
>>>
>>> All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

>> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
>>
>> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
>> didn't have to treat for spider mites!

> I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The lacewing
> larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

On top of that the lacewings are flat beautiful to look at.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
> wrote:

> > Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year
> > we didn't have to treat for spider mites!

> People pay good money for lacewing larvae and/or eggs. Great bio-control
> in the garden.

And I have.

And they worked.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Used to have a circus-bought chameleon that though the same thing!

> > <lol> Gods that brings back memories!!!
> > They sold Chameleons (aka Anoles) on a leash at the Barnum and Bailey
> > Circus when I was about 4 years old. :-) Mom bought one and let it live
> > in her kitchen window with the plants for awhile. Not sure what finally
> > happened to that lizard...

> I had a horned toad for a while too, strikes me they both lived about 3
> years. Not real interactive pets, but cool anyway. The hermit crab was
> just plain weird. :-)

Ever had a horned lizard squirt blood at you from the glands behind the
eyes? I did. A couple of times. It's supposed to be a defense mechanism.
I used to catch some of the mohave variety when we lived in California.

I kept hermit crabs for awhile. Entertainment was putting several empty
snail shells in to the tank and watching them change houses when they
tried on new shells for "fit". <lol>

A simple crawfish can make an interesting pet too. They do well in
shallow turtle bowls, fed on a good quality fish food...

I've kept a variety of lizards and snakes as pets in my teenage years.
Later graduated to pet mice and hooded rats. Violet was a little black
and white colored mouse that I used to take to college with me once in
awhile. She stayed in a pocket or hid on my shoulder under my hair.

Some rodents can make very engaging pets...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/18/2010 3:45 PM, Omelet wrote:

> >> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
> >>
> >> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
> >> didn't have to treat for spider mites!

> > I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The lacewing
> > larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

> On top of that the lacewings are flat beautiful to look at.

They are indeed! I wish they lived longer...
Those and Mayflies. Mayflies are death on mosquito larvae.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Cleatarrior > wrote:
>
>>> You should be able to find them on line at the least and some nurseries
>>> carry them too. Fly parasites, beneficial nematodes, ladybird beetles,
>>> lacewing eggs (the larvae are great for scale and mealy bug), some types
>>> of wasps work for tomato hornworm but imho BT works better. Praying
>>> mantis egg cases are also available.
>>>
>>> All kinds of great alternatives to pesticides and often works better.

>> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
>>
>> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
>> didn't have to treat for spider mites!

> I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The lacewing
> larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

I still have a standing population of ladybugs, that I initially put out
a decade or so ago.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/19/2010 9:27 PM, Omelet wrote:

>>> <lol> Gods that brings back memories!!!
>>> They sold Chameleons (aka Anoles) on a leash at the Barnum and Bailey
>>> Circus when I was about 4 years old. :-) Mom bought one and let it live
>>> in her kitchen window with the plants for awhile. Not sure what finally
>>> happened to that lizard...

>> I had a horned toad for a while too, strikes me they both lived about 3
>> years. Not real interactive pets, but cool anyway. The hermit crab was
>> just plain weird. :-)

> Ever had a horned lizard squirt blood at you from the glands behind the
> eyes? I did. A couple of times.

Same here, when my pet was new to me.

> It's supposed to be a defense mechanism.
> I used to catch some of the mohave variety when we lived in California.
>
> I kept hermit crabs for awhile. Entertainment was putting several empty
> snail shells in to the tank and watching them change houses when they
> tried on new shells for "fit".<lol>

I like that too.

> A simple crawfish can make an interesting pet too. They do well in
> shallow turtle bowls, fed on a good quality fish food...

Did the tadpole act too ;-)

> I've kept a variety of lizards and snakes as pets in my teenage years.
> Later graduated to pet mice and hooded rats. Violet was a little black
> and white colored mouse that I used to take to college with me once in
> awhile. She stayed in a pocket or hid on my shoulder under my hair.
>
> Some rodents can make very engaging pets...

I was very taken with both mice and rats, especially rats who are super
intelligent and personable. In many ways like mellow cats, inquisitive
but not prone to violence.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/20/2010 8:28 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> Omelet wrote:

>>> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year
>>> we didn't have to treat for spider mites!

>> I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The
>> lacewing larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

> I still have a standing population of ladybugs, that I initially put out
> a decade or so ago.

Very cool. I wish we had a warmer clime so I could seed a population of
lightning bugs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Shawn Martin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> I'm all for letting nature fight its own battles out as much as possible.
> >>
> >> Our potted plants had tons of lacewings one summer, that was the year we
> >> didn't have to treat for spider mites!

> > I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The lacewing
> > larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

> I still have a standing population of ladybugs, that I initially put out
> a decade or so ago.

As do I, but mostly just the babies that are easier to spot. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > Ever had a horned lizard squirt blood at you from the glands behind the
> > eyes? I did. A couple of times.

> Same here, when my pet was new to me.

<lol> It can be disconcerting to say the least!
They are very expressive for a lizard imho.

> > It's supposed to be a defense mechanism.
> > I used to catch some of the mohave variety when we lived in California.
> >
> > I kept hermit crabs for awhile. Entertainment was putting several empty
> > snail shells in to the tank and watching them change houses when they
> > tried on new shells for "fit".<lol>

> I like that too.

;-)

> > A simple crawfish can make an interesting pet too. They do well in
> > shallow turtle bowls, fed on a good quality fish food...

> Did the tadpole act too ;-)

They can be, if you get them little enough. They shed a lot of skins.

I've done the tadpole thing too. Always fascinating. I just wish my one
attempt at a pet bullfrog had lasted longer. :-( I don't think I kept
her warm enough. <sigh>

> > I've kept a variety of lizards and snakes as pets in my teenage years.
> > Later graduated to pet mice and hooded rats. Violet was a little black
> > and white colored mouse that I used to take to college with me once in
> > awhile. She stayed in a pocket or hid on my shoulder under my hair.
> >
> > Some rodents can make very engaging pets...

> I was very taken with both mice and rats, especially rats who are super
> intelligent and personable. In many ways like mellow cats, inquisitive
> but not prone to violence.

Depends on the rat. That is why my personal recommendation on choosing a
pet rat are as follows:

Find a tank of feeder rats at the pet store.
Stick your hand into said tank.

The rats that run away will not make good pets.
The ones that sniff at your hand in curiosity are possibilities.
Pick one up, let it sit in your hand.
If it does not try to escape or otherwise act upset, take it home and
handle it a LOT.

I always bought pet rats when they were less than half-grown by that
criteria and was never disappointed. :-) My last rat was one of the
hairless autosomal recessive variety. She lived a shorter life than
usual but was a delightful pet while she lasted. I called her "Jeanette
Luc'". <g>

I had rats adopted at an older age at one point. I never hesitated to
use a rat that attacked and bit as reptile food. I bred poultry for
many years, and rodents for a few. Offspring bred from aggressive or
mean adult animals nearly always turned out to be equally as
undesirable...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> > Ever had a horned lizard squirt blood at you from the glands behind the
> > eyes? I did. A couple of times.

> Same here, when my pet was new to me.

<lol> It can be disconcerting to say the least!
They are very expressive for a lizard imho.

> > It's supposed to be a defense mechanism.
> > I used to catch some of the mohave variety when we lived in California.
> >
> > I kept hermit crabs for awhile. Entertainment was putting several empty
> > snail shells in to the tank and watching them change houses when they
> > tried on new shells for "fit".<lol>

> I like that too.

;-)

> > A simple crawfish can make an interesting pet too. They do well in
> > shallow turtle bowls, fed on a good quality fish food...

> Did the tadpole act too ;-)

They can be, if you get them little enough. They shed a lot of skins.

I've done the tadpole thing too. Always fascinating. I just wish my one
attempt at a pet bullfrog had lasted longer. :-( I don't think I kept
her warm enough. <sigh>

> > I've kept a variety of lizards and snakes as pets in my teenage years.
> > Later graduated to pet mice and hooded rats. Violet was a little black
> > and white colored mouse that I used to take to college with me once in
> > awhile. She stayed in a pocket or hid on my shoulder under my hair.
> >
> > Some rodents can make very engaging pets...

> I was very taken with both mice and rats, especially rats who are super
> intelligent and personable. In many ways like mellow cats, inquisitive
> but not prone to violence.

Depends on the rat. That is why my personal recommendation on choosing a
pet rat are as follows:

Find a tank of feeder rats at the pet store.
Stick your hand into said tank.

The rats that run away will not make good pets.
The ones that sniff at your hand in curiosity are possibilities.
Pick one up, let it sit in your hand.
If it does not try to escape or otherwise act upset, take it home and
handle it a LOT.

I always bought pet rats when they were less than half-grown by that
criteria and was never disappointed. :-) My last rat was one of the
hairless autosomal recessive variety. She lived a shorter life than
usual but was a delightful pet while she lasted. I called her "Jeanette
Luc'". <g>

I had rats adopted at an older age at one point. I never hesitated to
use a rat that attacked and bit as reptile food. I bred poultry for
many years, and rodents for a few. Offspring bred from aggressive or
mean adult animals nearly always turned out to be equally as
undesirable...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/20/2010 8:28 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> I'll bet. :-) Pesticides (Pyrethrine) would not kill scale. The
> >> lacewing larvae did them in totally. Never did have scaled after that.

> > I still have a standing population of ladybugs, that I initially put out
> > a decade or so ago.

> Very cool. I wish we had a warmer clime so I could seed a population of
> lightning bugs.

We see them sometimes here in the spring.

Incredible displays down near the river in Martindale.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to take the nephews there at night this
summer. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/20/2010 9:14 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Ever had a horned lizard squirt blood at you from the glands behind the
>>> eyes? I did. A couple of times.

>> Same here, when my pet was new to me.

> <lol> It can be disconcerting to say the least!
> They are very expressive for a lizard imho.

Lotsa push ups too!

Must have a Marine background ;-)

>>> It's supposed to be a defense mechanism.
>>> I used to catch some of the mohave variety when we lived in California.
>>>
>>> I kept hermit crabs for awhile. Entertainment was putting several empty
>>> snail shells in to the tank and watching them change houses when they
>>> tried on new shells for "fit".<lol>

>> I like that too.

> ;-)
>

>>> A simple crawfish can make an interesting pet too. They do well in
>>> shallow turtle bowls, fed on a good quality fish food...

>> Did the tadpole act too ;-)

> They can be, if you get them little enough. They shed a lot of skins.

Keep em away from Cajuns..

> I've done the tadpole thing too. Always fascinating. I just wish my one
> attempt at a pet bullfrog had lasted longer. :-( I don't think I kept
> her warm enough.<sigh>

Bummer, mine always went back to the lake once they could clear the
aquarium glass from the sunning rock.

>>> I've kept a variety of lizards and snakes as pets in my teenage years.
>>> Later graduated to pet mice and hooded rats. Violet was a little black
>>> and white colored mouse that I used to take to college with me once in
>>> awhile. She stayed in a pocket or hid on my shoulder under my hair.
>>>
>>> Some rodents can make very engaging pets...

>> I was very taken with both mice and rats, especially rats who are super
>> intelligent and personable. In many ways like mellow cats, inquisitive
>> but not prone to violence.

> Depends on the rat. That is why my personal recommendation on choosing a
> pet rat are as follows:
>
> Find a tank of feeder rats at the pet store.
> Stick your hand into said tank.
>
> The rats that run away will not make good pets.

Excellent measure, same for gerbils and guinea pigs.

Hamsters I do not care for, very unpredictable and spiteful.

> The ones that sniff at your hand in curiosity are possibilities.
> Pick one up, let it sit in your hand.
> If it does not try to escape or otherwise act upset, take it home and
> handle it a LOT.

Yes, early and often.

> I always bought pet rats when they were less than half-grown by that
> criteria and was never disappointed. :-) My last rat was one of the
> hairless autosomal recessive variety. She lived a shorter life than
> usual but was a delightful pet while she lasted. I called her "Jeanette
> Luc'".<g>

Lol.

> I had rats adopted at an older age at one point. I never hesitated to
> use a rat that attacked and bit as reptile food. I bred poultry for
> many years, and rodents for a few. Offspring bred from aggressive or
> mean adult animals nearly always turned out to be equally as
> undesirable...

One wonders if too with people....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/20/2010 9:17 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:

>>> I still have a standing population of ladybugs, that I initially put out
>>> a decade or so ago.

>> Very cool. I wish we had a warmer clime so I could seed a population of
>> lightning bugs.

> We see them sometimes here in the spring.
>
> Incredible displays down near the river in Martindale.
>
> Thanks for reminding me, I need to take the nephews there at night this
> summer. :-)

There's a fantastic hot springs near here _way_ up in the mountains,
someone brought in lightning bugs and darned if they didn't winter over,
even at 9,000 ft!

That hot water creates a micro-climate year round.

http://www.olt.org/visitor_info/first_time_info.htm

The pic on the lower right (winter shot) is where the LBs are.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> On 4/20/2010 9:14 PM, Omelet wrote:

> >> Same here, when my pet was new to me.

> > <lol> It can be disconcerting to say the least!
> > They are very expressive for a lizard imho.

> Lotsa push ups too!
>
> Must have a Marine background ;-)

<Snork> Second only to the Anole on pushups!
Seems to be a lizard thing. <g>

> >> Did the tadpole act too ;-)

> > They can be, if you get them little enough. They shed a lot of skins.

> Keep em away from Cajuns..

And cats! The cats got mine. :-(

> > I've done the tadpole thing too. Always fascinating. I just wish my one
> > attempt at a pet bullfrog had lasted longer. :-( I don't think I kept
> > her warm enough.<sigh>

> Bummer, mine always went back to the lake once they could clear the
> aquarium glass from the sunning rock.

<lol> They got powerful hind legs! I got my tadpole from the pet store.
She was in with the feeder goldfish. They said that they came in
accidently from time to time.

Ob food, Fiesta has fresh frozen frog legs for around $5.00 per lb.
Cleaned squids too, or just squid rings if you want them that way. Same
price.

Got some fresh frozen catfish fillets for $2.00 per lb. the other day.
I plan to coat them lightly in spiced rice flour and bake them.

> >> I was very taken with both mice and rats, especially rats who are super
> >> intelligent and personable. In many ways like mellow cats, inquisitive
> >> but not prone to violence.

> > Depends on the rat. That is why my personal recommendation on choosing a
> > pet rat are as follows:
> >
> > Find a tank of feeder rats at the pet store.
> > Stick your hand into said tank.
> >
> > The rats that run away will not make good pets.

> Excellent measure, same for gerbils and guinea pigs.
>
> Hamsters I do not care for, very unpredictable and spiteful.

On both points, we totally agree! Hamsters are cute but do not really
make good pets.

> > The ones that sniff at your hand in curiosity are possibilities.
> > Pick one up, let it sit in your hand.
> > If it does not try to escape or otherwise act upset, take it home and
> > handle it a LOT.

> Yes, early and often.

Kinda like kittens or baby skunks. <g>

> > I always bought pet rats when they were less than half-grown by that
> > criteria and was never disappointed. :-) My last rat was one of the
> > hairless autosomal recessive variety. She lived a shorter life than
> > usual but was a delightful pet while she lasted. I called her "Jeanette
> > Luc'".<g>

> Lol.

I see you recognize the reference. ;-)

> > I had rats adopted at an older age at one point. I never hesitated to
> > use a rat that attacked and bit as reptile food. I bred poultry for
> > many years, and rodents for a few. Offspring bred from aggressive or
> > mean adult animals nearly always turned out to be equally as
> > undesirable...

> One wonders if too with people....

Nature vs. nurture has been a favorite of shrinks for years!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Cleatarrior > wrote:

> >> Very cool. I wish we had a warmer clime so I could seed a population of
> >> lightning bugs.

> > We see them sometimes here in the spring.
> >
> > Incredible displays down near the river in Martindale.
> >
> > Thanks for reminding me, I need to take the nephews there at night this
> > summer. :-)

> There's a fantastic hot springs near here _way_ up in the mountains,
> someone brought in lightning bugs and darned if they didn't winter over,
> even at 9,000 ft!
>
> That hot water creates a micro-climate year round.
>
> http://www.olt.org/visitor_info/first_time_info.htm
>
> The pic on the lower right (winter shot) is where the LBs are.

How very cool! They'd add a nice touch to something like that. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> ... I suspect that commercial pits have to be cleaned for food safety
> reasons, and I wonder what they use. Or maybe they don't have to clean
> > them, I don't know.

In my state, there is no requirement to clean the pit itself, but the racks
were handwashed every day and the interior of the pit was scraped out and
burned out each week. The bottom of the pit has a big ball valve that drains
all the grease into 6 gallon buckets; I would have to empty them twice each
day into the outdoors grease collection dumpster.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/21/2010 9:27 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4/20/2010 9:14 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> <lol> It can be disconcerting to say the least!
>>> They are very expressive for a lizard imho.

>> Lotsa push ups too!
>>
>> Must have a Marine background ;-)

> <Snork> Second only to the Anole on pushups!
> Seems to be a lizard thing.<g>

Lol, they do stay in shape...

>>> They can be, if you get them little enough. They shed a lot of skins.

>> Keep em away from Cajuns..

> And cats! The cats got mine. :-(
>

>>> I've done the tadpole thing too. Always fascinating. I just wish my one
>>> attempt at a pet bullfrog had lasted longer. :-( I don't think I kept
>>> her warm enough.<sigh>

>> Bummer, mine always went back to the lake once they could clear the
>> aquarium glass from the sunning rock.

> <lol> They got powerful hind legs! I got my tadpole from the pet store.
> She was in with the feeder goldfish. They said that they came in
> accidently from time to time.

Interesting, do goldfish get after them at all?

> Ob food, Fiesta has fresh frozen frog legs for around $5.00 per lb.
> Cleaned squids too, or just squid rings if you want them that way. Same
> price.
>
> Got some fresh frozen catfish fillets for $2.00 per lb. the other day.
> I plan to coat them lightly in spiced rice flour and bake them.

I've been finding pretty good quality ocean perch fillets at Wal Mart of
late - forgot the price, but very reasonable.

Dredged in corn meal and seasoned flour, egg dip, they're dandy in an
iron skillet of hot veg, oil.

>>> Depends on the rat. That is why my personal recommendation on choosing a
>>> pet rat are as follows:
>>>
>>> Find a tank of feeder rats at the pet store.
>>> Stick your hand into said tank.
>>>
>>> The rats that run away will not make good pets.

>> Excellent measure, same for gerbils and guinea pigs.
>>
>> Hamsters I do not care for, very unpredictable and spiteful.

> On both points, we totally agree! Hamsters are cute but do not really
> make good pets.

They even attack gerbils, which I find unforgivable. No interspecies
aggression, grrr....

>>> The ones that sniff at your hand in curiosity are possibilities.
>>> Pick one up, let it sit in your hand.
>>> If it does not try to escape or otherwise act upset, take it home and
>>> handle it a LOT.

>> Yes, early and often.

> Kinda like kittens or baby skunks.<g>

Yup.

>>> I always bought pet rats when they were less than half-grown by that
>>> criteria and was never disappointed. :-) My last rat was one of the
>>> hairless autosomal recessive variety. She lived a shorter life than
>>> usual but was a delightful pet while she lasted. I called her "Jeanette
>>> Luc'".<g>

>> Lol.

> I see you recognize the reference. ;-)

Alphaville?

>>> I had rats adopted at an older age at one point. I never hesitated to
>>> use a rat that attacked and bit as reptile food. I bred poultry for
>>> many years, and rodents for a few. Offspring bred from aggressive or
>>> mean adult animals nearly always turned out to be equally as
>>> undesirable...

>> One wonders if too with people....

> Nature vs. nurture has been a favorite of shrinks for years!

I'm going with a straddle, some of both...