Carolyn Ranker

Default Close BBQ Pits

Hi,
Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
and was impressed.
From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
http://www.bbqpits.com
Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?
Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this group.
Thanks a bunch.
Carolyn
Charleston, WV

JD

"Carolyn Ranker" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
> and was impressed.
> From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
> http://www.bbqpits.com
> Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?
> Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this

group.
> Thanks a bunch.
> Carolyn
> Charleston, WV

Definitely one of the best, definitely all they're cracked up to be.

JD

Edwin Pawlowski

"Carolyn Ranker" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
> and was impressed.
> From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
> http://www.bbqpits.com
> Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?

Yes, if you mean Klose pits. Some of the best
Ed

Louis Cohen

They are big, heavy traditional offset BBQ pits. No doubt they are very
well made, and very good if you like that style of pit.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Carolyn Ranker" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
> and was impressed.
> From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
> http://www.bbqpits.com
> Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?
> Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this

group.
> Thanks a bunch.
> Carolyn
> Charleston, WV

Duwop

Louis Cohen wrote:
> They are big, heavy traditional offset BBQ pits. No doubt they are
> very well made, and very good if you like that style of pit.

Don't you worry 'bout Louis, it's good, we got a lot of flower pot and
metal suppository cookers here, offsets work real good.

JohnG

"Carolyn Ranker" wrote
> Hi,
> Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
> and was impressed.
> From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
> http://www.bbqpits.com
> Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?
> Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this group.
> Thanks a bunch.
> Carolyn
> Charleston, WV

I picked up a Klose 20x42 about a year ago and have been very happy
with it. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an offset. Only
downside to it is its weight. At close to 800lbs I'm not going to get
a crane to lift it up to my second story deck.

Ordered a Kamado number 5 for deck duty.

JohnG
Thomas Cormen

I, too, have a Klose 20x42. I got it in 1998. I thought it weighs
600 lbs, not 800 lbs as JohnG says.

I own the Klose, a WSM, and a 22" Weber kettle. I use the Klose much
less often than the other two, but it makes the best Q. That's
because it burns wood, and you just can't beat real wood for real Q.
I find that it takes quite a bit of wood to keep the Klose going.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Andy Williams

Carolyn Ranker wrote:

> Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food Finds
> and was impressed.
> From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
> http://www.bbqpits.com
> Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to be?
> Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this group.

I own one. Klose pits are as good as any available. I would say they
are the standard against which all other offset pits are judged. Most
of them are big. Plan to cook for a crowd. Otherwise it's not worth
firing up such a big pit. They can go well beyond $4500, BTW.
--
Andy Williams
JohnG

Thomas Cormen wrote
> I, too, have a Klose 20x42. I got it in 1998. I thought it weighs
> 600 lbs, not 800 lbs as JohnG says.

Weight probably depends on options. I went with a 1/2" firebox and a
couple of other minor things. Either that or Conway overcharged me on
the shipping.

JohnG
Rick Simms

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:58:20 -0700, "Carolyn Ranker"
> wrote:

§Hi,
§Newby here! Saw the Close BBQ Pits on Food Network on the show Food
Finds
§and was impressed.
§From $69 to $4500 I believe the website at
§http://www.bbqpits.com
§Anyway, are these smokers and grills as good as they're cracked up to
be?
§Am thinking of getting one, but respect the opinions of those on this
group.
§Thanks a bunch.
§Carolyn
§Charleston, WV
§

I just received my new Klose 20 X 42 and had the first Q'ng for the
June graduates in the family and I couldn't be happier with the rig.
It does everything I wanted a quality smoke rig to do and it does it
well.

Their customer service is first rate too. After I unloaded mine from
the truck and got it unwrapped I noticed that the thermometer was
missing. I called Frank at the plant the same day and asked him how
soon he could get one out because I had that large graduation party
coming up that I was cooking for. He told me that I would have one the
next day. True to his word, UPS rang my doorbell the next morning with
a next day air package, thermometer enclosed.

Call Klose and get Dave or Frank on the phone, tell them what you're
looking for in a grill and what you want it to do. They're very good
about answering any questions that you have.

Rick Simms

--
A pessimist believes all women are bad.

An optimist hopes they are.

Pierre

Rick Simms wrote in message >. ..
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:58:20 -0700, "Carolyn Ranker"
> > wrote:
><snip>

> §Charleston, WV
> §
>
> I just received my new Klose 20 X 42 and had the first Q'ng for the
> June graduates in the family and I couldn't be happier with the rig.
> It does everything I wanted a quality smoke rig to do and it does it
> well.
>
> Their customer service is first rate too. After I unloaded mine from
> the truck and got it unwrapped I noticed that the thermometer was
> missing. I called Frank at the plant the same day and asked him how
> soon he could get one out because I had that large graduation party
> coming up that I was cooking for. He told me that I would have one the
> next day. True to his word, UPS rang my doorbell the next morning with
> a next day air package, thermometer enclosed.
>
> Call Klose and get Dave or Frank on the phone, tell them what you're
> looking for in a grill and what you want it to do. They're very good
> about answering any questions that you have.
>

> Rick Simms.

Rick:
You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for you?
Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!

Pierre
Duwop

Pierre wrote:
> Rick Simms wrote in message
> Rick:
> You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for you?
> Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!
>
> Pierre

And what the heck is the water reservoir for?

Dale

JD

"Duwop" > wrote in message

|| Pierre wrote:
||| Rick Simms wrote in message
||| Rick:
||| You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for
||| you? Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!
||| Pierre
|| And what the heck is the water reservoir for?

Having a source of hot water near the pit can be a godsend especially when
you're out using it at a remote location.

JD

Douglas Barber

JD wrote:

> || And what the heck is the water reservoir for?
>
> Having a source of hot water near the pit can be a godsend especially when
> you're out using it at a remote location.
>
> JD

Or mandatory if you're vending your product within the jurisdiction of
many health departments...There is (or was) a fellow selling some
extraordinarily good Mexican food from an outwardly typical mobile "taco
stand" in Tooele, Utah when I lived there three years back who was
nearly put out of business for want of running hot water in his
rig...town residents got together and fixed him up...

Duwop

Douglas Barber wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Having a source of hot water near the pit can be a godsend
>> especially when you're out using it at a remote location.

> Or mandatory if you're vending your product within the jurisdiction of
> many health departments...There is (or was) a fellow selling some

I see said the blind man, thank you.

Rick Simms

On 26 Jun 2004 12:30:36 -0700, (Pierre) wrote:

>Rick Simms wrote in message >. ..
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:58:20 -0700, "Carolyn Ranker"
>> > wrote:
>><snip>

>> §Charleston, WV
>> §
>>
>> I just received my new Klose 20 X 42 and had the first Q'ng for the
>> June graduates in the family and I couldn't be happier with the rig.
>> It does everything I wanted a quality smoke rig to do and it does it
>> well.
>>
>> Their customer service is first rate too. After I unloaded mine from
>> the truck and got it unwrapped I noticed that the thermometer was
>> missing. I called Frank at the plant the same day and asked him how
>> soon he could get one out because I had that large graduation party
>> coming up that I was cooking for. He told me that I would have one the
>> next day. True to his word, UPS rang my doorbell the next morning with
>> a next day air package, thermometer enclosed.
>>
>> Call Klose and get Dave or Frank on the phone, tell them what you're
>> looking for in a grill and what you want it to do. They're very good
>> about answering any questions that you have.
>>

>> Rick Simms.

>Rick:
>You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for you?
>Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!
>
>Pierre

Pierre,

I am sorry that it has taken me this long to reply to your question. I
have had surgery and this is the first time I've turned the computer
back on since you posted.

I've had the usual problems with the learning curve on a new smoker
like getting the dampers set right for heat control, lump/wood amounts
and burn time. The smokebox on this unit is a lot bigger than on my
old Chargriller and it can handle a 16" split log of hickory as
opposed to a 6" split on the Chargriller.The fire grate set up in the
smokebox is vastly superior to what I have been use to.

THe lower and upper grill sections have easy access to them and the
uppers set on rods that allows you to pull out to baste the meats.
Makes it easy to baste the butts or ribs on the upper racks and let
them drip onto the briskets on the lower. The only problem with the
upper racks is that the clearance between the rack and the top of the
smoker. I had two 9lb butts sitting up there and it was kinda tight.
The pull out racks made it a lot easier to get to them.

I ordered the grilling charcoal grate for the body of the smoker just
in case I wanted to actually use it for a grill. But, I've kinda
decided to keep the old C-G for that purpose.

Unfortunately the surgery came along and I've only been able to Q on
it twice since I got it. Fortunately that's about to change in another
week. For the graduation party I did two 8lb briskets, two 9lb butts
and four racks of baby backs. One of the briskets I sliced, the other
I chopped. The butts I pulled off the grill when I pulled the bone and
it gently slid out of the meat. The ribs I pulled off when my brother
in law lept sampling and got this ridiculous SEG as the meat slid away
from the bone.

Everything must have come out pretty well. The neighbors came over
with offerings of cold beer to exchange for a taste or two and between
them and the inlaws, outlaws and friends of the kids they ate just
about all of it. I had enough leftovers of butt and brisket for a meal
or two and not much more.They didn't leave me any dadblasted ribs at
all.

Rick Simms
**************

The definition of "Bravery" is :

A man coming home late, smelling of perfume and Hennessy, lipstick on his collar, slapping his wife on the ass and saying,

"You're next."............................
Rick Simms

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:12:33 -0700, "Duwop" >
wrote:

>Pierre wrote:
>> Rick Simms wrote in message
>> Rick:
>> You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for you?
>> Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!
>>
>> Pierre

>And what the heck is the water reservoir for?
>

>Dale

Dale,

Mine doesn't have a water reservoir.

I did add a beer reservoir but it sets next to the lawn chair.

Rick Simms
**************

The definition of "Bravery" is :

A man coming home late, smelling of perfume and Hennessy, lipstick on his collar, slapping his wife on the ass and saying,

"You're next."............................
Rick Simms

wrote:

>Pierre wrote:
>> Rick Simms wrote in message
>> Rick:
>> You've had your Klose pit for a week or so. Hows it working for you?
>> Any issues with the unit at all? Better yet, hows the food!
>>
>> Pierre

>And what the heck is the water reservoir for?
>

>Dale

Dale,

Mine doesn't have a water reservoir.

I did add a beer reservoir but it sets next to the lawn chair.

Rick Simms
**************

The definition of "Bravery" is :

A man coming home late, smelling of perfume and Hennessy, lipstick on his collar, slapping his wife on the ass and saying,

"You're next."............................
Duwop

Rick Simms wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:12:33 -0700, "Duwop" >
> wrote:
>> And what the heck is the water reservoir for?

> Mine doesn't have a water reservoir.
>
> I did add a beer reservoir but it sets next to the lawn chair.

Damn, my beer reservoir is always in front of me. How'd you get it next to
you? I appreciate it might require a lawn chair.
http://www.scratchbomb.com/images/pk3.gif

Dale

Duwop