Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How do the commerical bbq places know how much product to barbecue?

I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10 racks.
So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't reheat them the
next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days their bbq is great
and other days it's not. They may have reheated from the day before.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
> I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
> prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
> out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
> What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
> of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10 racks.
> So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't reheat them the
> next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days their bbq is great
> and other days it's not. They may have reheated from the day before.

A place here in town reheats as needed. I was in there for the first time
and ordered some pulled pork. It was OK, but not great. Another guy ordered
a smoked chicken and they took it our of the fridge and put it in a
microwave. I've not been back there since.

Some places will use those left over racks in chili, others will re-heat.
Some just close up and go home after everything is sold.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bent Attorney Esq. wrote:
> I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
> prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
> out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
> What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
> of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10 racks.
> So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't reheat them the
> next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days their bbq is great
> and other days it's not. They may have reheated from the day before.

It's a "dark fiddly science" with a few different schools of thought.

Just about every food buisness looks at historical records, weather,
and events (concert, ball game, etc) that draw crowds. I did this
while working at a Mom&Pop pizza joint. You could count on huge days
for sports and college "dead week." But that was just dough and sauce,
not $$$$ like brisket.

The best BBQ places I've been to simply say, "Get here early or we
might run out." And they mean it. They cook with the idea of running
out of food and usually don't hold food over, but it wouldn't be
improper to use that days BBQ it in chili or beans for the next day.

Some places cook with the idea of having some spare for the next days
chili/beans.

Brisket is good cold, one place I know supplies local deli counters and
sells sliced brisket (or chunks) for take-home.

The crappy chains just nuke as they go from the Bucket-O-Q. But even
then they do order and prep based on trends. Most of the wastage
there is perishibles like veggies.

Some large chains do food runs between stores. A slow day on one side
of the town might be matched with a busy day on the other.

Not sure how many places cook-and-hold, basically cooking to a nearly
done state then either letting it cruise (slow cook) or refrigerating
for a quick visit to the oven when ordered.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:24:18 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
>> I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
>> prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
>> out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
>> What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
>> of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10 racks.
>> So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't reheat them the
>> next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days their bbq is great
>> and other days it's not. They may have reheated from the day before.

>A place here in town reheats as needed. I was in there for the first time
>and ordered some pulled pork. It was OK, but not great. Another guy ordered
>a smoked chicken and they took it our of the fridge and put it in a
>microwave. I've not been back there since.
>
>Some places will use those left over racks in chili, others will re-heat.
>Some just close up and go home after everything is sold.

Hmm. If Dave Bugg wanders into this thread, it may be a great question
to ask HIM.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:24:18 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Bent Attorney Esq." > wrote in message
>>> I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
>>> prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
>>> out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
>>> What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
>>> of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10
>>> racks. So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't
>>> reheat them the next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days
>>> their bbq is great and other days it's not. They may have reheated
>>> from the day before.

>> A place here in town reheats as needed. I was in there for the
>> first time and ordered some pulled pork. It was OK, but not great.
>> Another guy ordered a smoked chicken and they took it our of the
>> fridge and put it in a microwave. I've not been back there since.
>>
>> Some places will use those left over racks in chili, others will
>> re-heat. Some just close up and go home after everything is sold.

> Hmm. If Dave Bugg wanders into this thread, it may be a great question
> to ask HIM.

After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just a
conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron, starving babies,
Cheney, and keeping the poor under my boot-heel. My business was based on
unfettered capitalism, which is a bad thing dontcha know and invalidates my
existence on this earth.

If the OP wants my perspective, s/he can feel free to email me; I don't mung
my email address.

Love you and Denny, darlin' :-)

---
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:01:13 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Desideria wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:24:18 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
>> > wrote:

>>> A place here in town reheats as needed. I was in there for the
>>> first time and ordered some pulled pork. It was OK, but not great.
>>> Another guy ordered a smoked chicken and they took it our of the
>>> fridge and put it in a microwave. I've not been back there since.
>>>
>>> Some places will use those left over racks in chili, others will
>>> re-heat. Some just close up and go home after everything is sold.

>> Hmm. If Dave Bugg wanders into this thread, it may be a great question
>> to ask HIM.

>After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just a
>conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron, starving babies,
>Cheney, and keeping the poor under my boot-heel. My business was based on
>unfettered capitalism, which is a bad thing dontcha know and invalidates my
>existence on this earth.
>
>If the OP wants my perspective, s/he can feel free to email me; I don't mung
>my email address.
>
>Love you and Denny, darlin' :-)
>
>---
>Dave
>What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
>you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

We love you too, Dave!!!

And I think I'll email you myself, as I'm also rather curious about
the answer. :-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just
> a conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron,
> starving babies, Cheney, and keeping the poor under my
> boot-heel.

Er. . . so what's wrong with that? <grin>
--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> > Hmm. If Dave Bugg wanders into this thread, it may be a great question
> > to ask HIM.

> After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just a
> conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron, starving babies,
> Cheney, and keeping the poor under my boot-heel. My business was based on
> unfettered capitalism, which is a bad thing dontcha know and invalidates my
> existence on this earth.
>
> If the OP wants my perspective, s/he can feel free to email me; I don't mung
> my email address.
>
> Love you and Denny, darlin' :-)

Gee Dave, are you a cynic or something? ;->
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > > Hmm. If Dave Bugg wanders into this thread, it may be a great
> > > question to ask HIM.

> > After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just a
> > conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron, starving
> > babies, Cheney, and keeping the poor under my boot-heel. My business
> > was based on unfettered capitalism, which is a bad thing dontcha know
> > and invalidates my existence on this earth.
> >
> > If the OP wants my perspective, s/he can feel free to email me; I don't
> > mung my email address.
> >
> > Love you and Denny, darlin' :-)

> Gee Dave, are you a cynic or something? ;->

I'm not Dave, but I'm a romantic cynic, looking at the world through rose
colored glasses, with a jaundiced eye! °~D

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:

> > > After popping in and reading recent threads why ask me? I'm just a
> > > conservative who only believes in oxycontin, Rush, Enron, starving
> > > babies, Cheney, and keeping the poor under my boot-heel. My business
> > > was based on unfettered capitalism, which is a bad thing dontcha know
> > > and invalidates my existence on this earth.
> > >
> > > If the OP wants my perspective, s/he can feel free to email me; I don't
> > > mung my email address.
> > >
> > > Love you and Denny, darlin' :-)

> > Gee Dave, are you a cynic or something? ;->

> I'm not Dave, but I'm a romantic cynic, looking at the world through rose
> colored glasses, with a jaundiced eye! °~D

I know what you mean! Anticipate and count on the best while expecting
the worst!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Attorney Esq. View Post
I've often wondered how retail bbq places know how much meat to
prepare ahead of time. It's not like when they get close to running
out of brisket they can just fire up some more in a jiffy.
What if they get a slow Saturday night? They've prepped up 20 racks
of ribs and they are waiting for customers. They only sell 10 racks.
So what about the other 10 racks? They sure shouldn't reheat them the
next day. Maybe that's why some places, some days their bbq is great
and other days it's not. They may have reheated from the day before.
well in my experience as a caterer, the really good places must be the ones that say ' get here early or we run out' - the other places (which might be good) might do a bit of reheating - if its done intelligently there's no reason why it shouldn't taste great - like, you wouldn't reheat a chicken breast that has already been cooked to perfection, as it would be overcooked seriously by the time it was hot enough to serve without posing a risk of food poisoning.
The 'slow cookers' should survive reheating quite well. Its all about how long you keep something hot for. I mean, if you cook then chill rather than having something held hot for a whole service then chilling it, theres no reason why it wouldnt taste great when you reheated it (just as long as you werent expecting it to be crispy (pork crackling definitely suffers the next day).
Jake Honeywill
Event Coordinator
Octopus Food Limited
Excellent Catering for Special Events