Posted to rec.food.baking

Default reducing a commerical receipe to home use? help please

I have a commerical size receipe that calls for 4 ounces of liquid
ingredient "A" to 2 gallons of liquid ingredient "B". I want to cut
this down to home use size so I'd like to know how you convert to get
the proportional usage for "A" for 1 pint of "B" and for 1 quart of
"B". (I know once I get either the pint or quart measurement, the
other is easy). I'm pretty good at math, but I falter I start to deal
with fractional teaspoon measurements (plus I don't know how a weight
(ounces) relates to a volume (teaspoon) in baking. If anyone can
provide any help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

Posted to rec.food.baking

http://www.acenetworks.org/frames/fo...tch_recipe.htm

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have a commerical size receipe that calls for 4 ounces of liquid
> ingredient "A" to 2 gallons of liquid ingredient "B". I want to cut
> this down to home use size so I'd like to know how you convert to get
> the proportional usage for "A" for 1 pint of "B" and for 1 quart of
> "B". (I know once I get either the pint or quart measurement, the
> other is easy). I'm pretty good at math, but I falter I start to deal
> with fractional teaspoon measurements (plus I don't know how a weight
> (ounces) relates to a volume (teaspoon) in baking. If anyone can
> provide any help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks,
>
> Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:

> I have a commerical size receipe that calls for 4 ounces of liquid
> ingredient "A" to 2 gallons of liquid ingredient "B". I want to cut
> this down to home use size so I'd like to know how you convert to get
> the proportional usage for "A" for 1 pint of "B" and for 1 quart of
> "B". (I know once I get either the pint or quart measurement, the
> other is easy). I'm pretty good at math, but I falter I start to deal
> with fractional teaspoon measurements (plus I don't know how a weight
> (ounces) relates to a volume (teaspoon) in baking. If anyone can
> provide any help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks,

One US gallon is 128 fluid ounces. Two gallons is obviously twice any of
these units. These numbers are how many of the units make a gallon.
4 quarts (32 ounces)
8 pints (16 ounces, 2 to the quart)
16 cups (8 ounces, 2 to the pint)
256 tablespoons (1/2 ounce, 16 to the cup)
768 teaspoons (3 to the tablespoon)

There's no useful relationship between volume and weight. It varies with
the ingredient. There are no fractional teaspoon measurements in this.

To convert the "A" amounts, you derive a factor for "B" as a ratio
between the original amount and the desired amount, and multiply. For a
quart of "B," you need 1/8 of the amount the original recipe calls for
(8 quarts in 2 gallons). 1/8 means - to get the percent - to divide 1 by
8 = .125 or 12.5%. You only need 12.5% of the original amount of "A" for
the new recipe.

For a pint, 1/16.

For a quart, it's what percent of the original "B" is the new amount?
Multiply original "A" by that.(0.125 x 4)=.5 ounce or one tablespoon.

For a pint, same process. It's 1/4 ounce or 1/2 tablespoon or 1 1/2
teaspoons.

Having said all that, not all recipes can be "scaled" like this just by
simple arithmetic. Ingredients have a funny way of misbehaving when so
drastically changed from the original formulations. Seasonings come out
different, batters and doughs stray... like that. It's experiment time.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> I have a commerical size receipe that calls for 4 ounces of liquid
>> ingredient "A" to 2 gallons of liquid ingredient "B". I want to cut
>> this down to home use size so I'd like to know how you convert to get
>> the proportional usage for "A" for 1 pint of "B" and for 1 quart of
>> "B". (I know once I get either the pint or quart measurement, the
>> other is easy). I'm pretty good at math, but I falter I start to deal
>> with fractional teaspoon measurements (plus I don't know how a weight
>> (ounces) relates to a volume (teaspoon) in baking. If anyone can
>> provide any help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks,

> One US gallon is 128 fluid ounces. Two gallons is obviously twice any of
> these units. These numbers are how many of the units make a gallon.
> 4 quarts (32 ounces)
> 8 pints (16 ounces, 2 to the quart)
> 16 cups (8 ounces, 2 to the pint)
> 256 tablespoons (1/2 ounce, 16 to the cup)
> 768 teaspoons (3 to the tablespoon)
>
> There's no useful relationship between volume and weight. It varies with
> the ingredient. There are no fractional teaspoon measurements in this.
>
> To convert the "A" amounts, you derive a factor for "B" as a ratio
> between the original amount and the desired amount, and multiply. For a
> quart of "B," you need 1/8 of the amount the original recipe calls for
> (8 quarts in 2 gallons). 1/8 means - to get the percent - to divide 1 by
> 8 = .125 or 12.5%. You only need 12.5% of the original amount of "A" for
> the new recipe.
>
> For a pint, 1/16.
>
> For a quart, it's what percent of the original "B" is the new amount?
> Multiply original "A" by that.(0.125 x 4)=.5 ounce or one tablespoon.
>
> For a pint, same process. It's 1/4 ounce or 1/2 tablespoon or 1 1/2
> teaspoons.
>
> Having said all that, not all recipes can be "scaled" like this just by
> simple arithmetic. Ingredients have a funny way of misbehaving when so
> drastically changed from the original formulations. Seasonings come out
> different, batters and doughs stray... like that. It's experiment time.
>
> Pastorio

I would convert everything to grams and weigh it. easy conversion.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Posted to rec.food.baking

Del Cecchi wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a commerical size receipe that calls for 4 ounces of liquid
>>> ingredient "A" to 2 gallons of liquid ingredient "B". I want to cut
>>> this down to home use size so I'd like to know how you convert to get
>>> the proportional usage for "A" for 1 pint of "B" and for 1 quart of
>>> "B". (I know once I get either the pint or quart measurement, the
>>> other is easy). I'm pretty good at math, but I falter I start to deal
>>> with fractional teaspoon measurements (plus I don't know how a weight
>>> (ounces) relates to a volume (teaspoon) in baking. If anyone can
>>> provide any help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks,

>> One US gallon is 128 fluid ounces. Two gallons is obviously twice any
>> of these units. These numbers are how many of the units make a gallon.
>> 4 quarts (32 ounces)
>> 8 pints (16 ounces, 2 to the quart)
>> 16 cups (8 ounces, 2 to the pint)
>> 256 tablespoons (1/2 ounce, 16 to the cup)
>> 768 teaspoons (3 to the tablespoon)
>>
>> There's no useful relationship between volume and weight. It varies
>> with the ingredient. There are no fractional teaspoon measurements in
>> this.
>>
>> To convert the "A" amounts, you derive a factor for "B" as a ratio
>> between the original amount and the desired amount, and multiply. For
>> a quart of "B," you need 1/8 of the amount the original recipe calls
>> for (8 quarts in 2 gallons). 1/8 means - to get the percent - to
>> divide 1 by 8 = .125 or 12.5%. You only need 12.5% of the original
>> amount of "A" for the new recipe.
>>
>> For a pint, 1/16.
>>
>> For a quart, it's what percent of the original "B" is the new amount?
>> Multiply original "A" by that.(0.125 x 4)=.5 ounce or one tablespoon.
>>
>> For a pint, same process. It's 1/4 ounce or 1/2 tablespoon or 1 1/2
>> teaspoons.
>>
>> Having said all that, not all recipes can be "scaled" like this just
>> by simple arithmetic. Ingredients have a funny way of misbehaving when
>> so drastically changed from the original formulations. Seasonings come
>> out different, batters and doughs stray... like that. It's experiment
>> time.
>>
>> Pastorio

> I would convert everything to grams and weigh it. easy conversion.

Actually, I did all the calculations in my head because I already knew
the measures I posted above. They're pretty simple: divide 4 by 8 and
then by 16. Done. I daresay, a great deal simpler than going to grams,
particularly for two gallons of an undetermined liquid to be mixed with
4 ounces of another undetermined liquid. If it's water, the two gallons
weigh 7,556.848,884,2 grams but if it's a light oil, two gallons weigh
somewhere between 5,261.671,492 grams 5,896.700,81 grams. Hardly an
"easy conversion," particularly since we don't know what the substances are.

Two other things occur to me about that:
1) the ounces in the question are *fluid* ounces, not *weight* ounces.
2) we don't know what else might be in the recipe and if, in fact, it
would be a good way to go.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.baking

FYI to all, I wasn't trying to hide the receipe or doing anything crazy, I
was just trying to make it a generic description. It's a receipe for ice
cream, the 2 gallons was the cream, and the 4 oz was the extract flavoring.

Joe

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> One US gallon is 128 fluid ounces. Two gallons is obviously twice any of
>>> these units. These numbers are how many of the units make a gallon.
>>> 4 quarts (32 ounces)
>>> 8 pints (16 ounces, 2 to the quart)
>>> 16 cups (8 ounces, 2 to the pint)
>>> 256 tablespoons (1/2 ounce, 16 to the cup)
>>> 768 teaspoons (3 to the tablespoon)
>>>
>>> There's no useful relationship between volume and weight. It varies with
>>> the ingredient. There are no fractional teaspoon measurements in this.
>>>
>>> To convert the "A" amounts, you derive a factor for "B" as a ratio
>>> between the original amount and the desired amount, and multiply. For a
>>> quart of "B," you need 1/8 of the amount the original recipe calls for
>>> (8 quarts in 2 gallons). 1/8 means - to get the percent - to divide 1 by
>>> 8 = .125 or 12.5%. You only need 12.5% of the original amount of "A" for
>>> the new recipe.
>>>
>>> For a pint, 1/16.
>>>
>>> For a quart, it's what percent of the original "B" is the new amount?
>>> Multiply original "A" by that.(0.125 x 4)=.5 ounce or one tablespoon.
>>>
>>> For a pint, same process. It's 1/4 ounce or 1/2 tablespoon or 1 1/2
>>> teaspoons.
>>>
>>> Having said all that, not all recipes can be "scaled" like this just by
>>> simple arithmetic. Ingredients have a funny way of misbehaving when so
>>> drastically changed from the original formulations. Seasonings come out
>>> different, batters and doughs stray... like that. It's experiment time.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I would convert everything to grams and weigh it. easy conversion.

> Actually, I did all the calculations in my head because I already knew the
> measures I posted above. They're pretty simple: divide 4 by 8 and then by
> 16. Done. I daresay, a great deal simpler than going to grams,
> particularly for two gallons of an undetermined liquid to be mixed with 4
> ounces of another undetermined liquid. If it's water, the two gallons
> weigh 7,556.848,884,2 grams but if it's a light oil, two gallons weigh
> somewhere between 5,261.671,492 grams 5,896.700,81 grams. Hardly an "easy
> conversion," particularly since we don't know what the substances are.
>
> Two other things occur to me about that:
> 1) the ounces in the question are *fluid* ounces, not *weight* ounces.
> 2) we don't know what else might be in the recipe and if, in fact, it
> would be a good way to go.
>
> Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.baking

Joe Magiera wrote:

> FYI to all, I wasn't trying to hide the recipe or doing anything
> crazy, I was just trying to make it a generic description. It's a
> recipe for ice cream, the 2 gallons was the cream, and the 4 oz was
> the extract flavoring.

I didn't assume you were hiding anything, just trying to extract the
principles and math behind scaling it down. It didn't really matter what
it was for if using these calculations.

But my suggestion would be not to scale that recipe. There are zillions
of recipes designed and tested for domestic quantities that don't need
any scaling and the estimation, trial and error that goes with it.

What's the recipe for? What flavors? What style of ice cream?

I've added rec.food.cooking to the list above where this sort of
discussion is more germane than a baking group.

Pastorio