Gus

Default Redneck's Kitchen

This is Gus whose friends (and enemies) call "Redneck." Don't know why
folks think that Q-nuts are "rednecks" but lots of 'em do think that way.
What I found out over the last several years is that, even though they call
me "Redneck," they gobble up the stuff I take from the smoker and go bonkers
over the other stuff that usually comes along with all of that brisket, pork
roasts, ribs, and the rest.

Some friends of mine and I have spent the last year "taste-testing" lots of
recipes and methods of prepping foods for our intended Q business (which we
are about to start). Along the way of coming up with recipe variations we
had lots of fun coming up with names for the foods. Yeah, we are kind of
crazy and it helps to be that way if you want to succeed in the Q business.
Keep a straight face on all the time and people will keep away, right?

We named our Q-business to-be "Redneck's Kitchen" to go along with the
earlier trademarked dry rub, "Redneck Rub (R)." There are many commercial
dry rubs out there, and there are plenty of dry rub formulas by which to
make your own rubs, but we really like ours a whole lot. There is a FREE
recipe book (and it continues to grow bigger all the time) on the Net where
you can see what we do with our rub stuff -- Qing meat and putting lots of
other foods together. You are invited to view it and to print out a copy
for yourself if you like... only thing is you can't duplicate and sell the
collection, OK? (It is copyrighted !) But you will have some fun with what
is in it, for sure. NO stuff to sell, nothing to buy... No mailing lists,
etc.

Here's the URL for Redneck's Cookbook...

http://users2.ev1.net/~gkilthau/redn...ubCookbook.pdf

I got here on this fun newsgroup this morning for the first time, and I
intend to return to it often. Lots of the posts here were great fun to
read, and some were serious stuff that helped me to realize that Q-people
have their share of ordinary problems in addition to Q-problems.

Enjoy today and have a great many more like it !

Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Dave Bugg

Gus wrote:

> Enjoy today and have a great many more like it !

Welcome, Gus. If you'd like, you can view the BBQ FAQ at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

It sounds like you have a lot to add to our NG :-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Gus wrote:

> Enjoy today and have a great many more like it !

Welcome, Gus. If you'd like, you can view the BBQ FAQ at:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

It sounds like you have a lot to add to our NG :-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
http://davebbq.com/

Jack Curry

> Here's the URL for Redneck's Cookbook...
>
> http://users2.ev1.net/~gkilthau/redn...ubCookbook.pdf

Thanks for the look at your cookbook, Gus. To each his own, but many of us
here aren't big fans of foiling brisket and ribs, preferring to cook them
either direct or indirect (depending on the type of smoker) without covering
them, until done.

Jack Curry
-'cause they're better that way-

Stephen Russell

"Gus" > wrote in message
> This is Gus whose friends (and enemies) call "Redneck." Don't know why
> folks think that Q-nuts are "rednecks" but lots of 'em do think that way.
> What I found out over the last several years is that, even though they

call
> me "Redneck," they gobble up the stuff I take from the smoker and go

bonkers
> over the other stuff that usually comes along with all of that brisket,

pork
> roasts, ribs, and the rest.

Probably the car on blocks out front?

You could feed them boiled ribs and the best they could say that it's
different.

__Stephen

Gus

"Stephen Russell" > wrote in
message .. .

> "Gus" > wrote in message
>
> Probably the car on blocks out front?
>
> You could feed them boiled ribs and the best they could say that it's
> different.
>
> __Stephen

Hola Esteban (Steven)...

Nothing much worse than a BOILED rib other than a boiled liver or a fried
toenail ! I heard one time that those Yankee folks boil ribs and briskets,
etc. I have seen pictures of those folks, too. They never seem to smile
all that much. That is understandable.

However, I enjoyed your comment about the boiled ribs and I wonder how we
all might disabuse you of that funny idea...

As to "the car out front on blocks," you missed the count just by a little.
There are many cars out front, none on blocks, and the grass grows high
between them. that is how you can tell how many cars are owned by a real
redneck... get him to cut the grass so that you might count them... This
redneck (Gus) is trying to find out which kind of flower grows best in a
porcelain potty that has some "potting" soil in it and is also placed out
front with all of those cars... Can't be a proper Redneck without a used
potty bowl out front with flowers in it, right?

(smiling) Gus Kilthau, Houston, Texas

p.s. Had some great ribs this evening. 2-1/2 hours at 275 degrees in the
smoker and really loaded down with Redneck Rub (R) beforehand. NO aluminum
foil wrapping ! Mighty fine stuff, those ribs.

Ol' Hippie

Well good luck to ya, had a few run in's with rednecks in the Sierra's.
Nothin come of it tho
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Jack Curry

Gus wrote:
> "Stephen Russell" > wrote
> in message .. .
>>
>> "Gus" > wrote in message
>>
>> Probably the car on blocks out front?
>>
>> You could feed them boiled ribs and the best they could say that it's
>> different.
>>
>> __Stephen
>>

> ================================================== =====
> Hola Esteban (Steven)...
>
> Nothing much worse than a BOILED rib other than a boiled liver or a
> fried toenail ! I heard one time that those Yankee folks boil ribs
> and briskets, etc. I have seen pictures of those folks, too. They
> never seem to smile all that much. That is understandable.
>
> However, I enjoyed your comment about the boiled ribs and I wonder
> how we all might disabuse you of that funny idea...
>
> As to "the car out front on blocks," you missed the count just by a
> little. There are many cars out front, none on blocks, and the grass
> grows high between them. that is how you can tell how many cars are
> owned by a real redneck... get him to cut the grass so that you might
> count them... This redneck (Gus) is trying to find out which kind of
> flower grows best in a porcelain potty that has some "potting" soil
> in it and is also placed out front with all of those cars... Can't
> be a proper Redneck without a used potty bowl out front with flowers
> in it, right?
>
> (smiling) Gus Kilthau, Houston, Texas
>
> p.s. Had some great ribs this evening. 2-1/2 hours at 275 degrees
> in the smoker and really loaded down with Redneck Rub (R) beforehand.
> NO aluminum foil wrapping ! Mighty fine stuff, those ribs.

Hmm.
Now Gus, I'm sure you're a fine Redneck fellow and all, but I'm starting to
wonder just a little bit about your cooking techniques. First you foil your
ribs and briskets, now you don't...and unless you're cooking some ribs off a
piglet (I like 3 1/2 and downs, so I gotta wonder how small yours are),
yours are done in about half the time it takes mine at the same temperature.
Tell me your clock stopped and you got the time wrong, Gus. Tell me your
ribs took 4 hours or so, like mine do.
Come to think of it, you sure do want us to know how those ribs were "really
loaded down with Redneck Rub (R)," which is a secret recipe only available
from you and just happens to be the main ingredient in every recipe in your
cookbook.
Maybe I'm just a dumb cracker, but I'm starting to wonder if you're trying
to sell us something.
Allay my fears, Gus, 'cause I hate being used.

Jack Curry
-say it ain't so-

Gus

"Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:09 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove
> > wrote:
>
> >Come to think of it, you sure do want us to know how those ribs were

"really
> >loaded down with Redneck Rub (R)," which is a secret recipe only

available
> >from you and just happens to be the main ingredient in every recipe in

your
> >cookbook.
> >Maybe I'm just a dumb cracker, but I'm starting to wonder if you're

trying
> >to sell us something.
> >Allay my fears, Gus, 'cause I hate being used.
> >
> >Jack Curry
> >-say it ain't so-

> Good, I thought I was the only one who saw the coincidence.
> __
>
> Socal Bob

Jack, Bob, and all...

A couple or three things... the most important of which are (a) no one is
"being used" by Gus and (b) no Redneck Rub (R) is being offered for sale
here or anywhere on the Internet. (RR is a product used for fundraising by
the charity high school, Academy Central and is sold through other charity
groups such as PTOs, school bands, churches, clubs, etc.) So much for that,
but you are not giving Gus credit for having enough sense to ALSO know that
members of this Q-group know full well how to put their own rubs together
and don't need any rubs from Gus or from the grocery store! Lordy ! Let's
get real, OK?

As to Gus's ribs smoked in so "short a time" on his offset firebox NB
smoker... there were 3 of them and none was very "thick" or heavy. Together
they weighed about 12 pounds and it seemed like the bones were sort of on
the thin side compared to many other racks. The reason for not foiling
these was because I was somewhere else at "foil time."

Sure were good ribs, though, and, like I mentioned, they had been loaded
down with Redneck Rub (R) before smoking. 2-1/2 to 3 hours is plenty enough
for ribs like these at a temperature in the neighborhood of 300, plus or
minus a little. Would have no doubt used more time at 250 provided the
smoker was crowded with piled-up rib racks, one on top of another (ugh!),
but we do our ribs separated in the smoker to get them good and smoky brown
quickly... and then we have usually wrapped them to finish them off. These
came out so good that the next batch will likely not be foiled either. May
foil some and not some others next time to see which we like best.

Fear not, friends. Keep your wallets in the pockets. Anyone who does not
know how to put a good rub together is pointed at Steve Raichlen's several
books on Q-stuff. He has some conventional ones in those books and some
wierd ones, too.

Speaking of books...

If you want access to thousands of E-books that you can read online or can
download freely, check out the big linked E-library at
http://www.academycentral.org . All kinds of good stuff there and there is
no cost to anyone to use it.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Steve Calvin

Graeme...in London wrote:

> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I didn't
> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this newsgroup
> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> posts, decided to.
>
> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time for
> your ribs by half.
>
> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

I was wondering as well, but then I'm told that I'm to pessimistic so
I figured that I'd "hush".

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

Graeme...in London wrote:

> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I didn't
> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this newsgroup
> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> posts, decided to.
>
> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time for
> your ribs by half.
>
> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

I was wondering as well, but then I'm told that I'm to pessimistic so
I figured that I'd "hush".

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Jack Sloan

"Gus" > wrote in message

> [...]

> but we do our ribs separated in the smoker to get them good and smoky

brown
> quickly... and then we have usually wrapped them to finish them off.

These
> came out so good that the next batch will likely not be foiled either.

May
> foil some and not some others next time to see which we like best.
>
> Fear not, friends. Keep your wallets in the pockets. Anyone who does not
> know how to put a good rub together is pointed at Steve Raichlen's several
> books on Q-stuff. He has some conventional ones in those books and some
> wierd ones, too.
>
> Speaking of books...
>
> If you want access to thousands of E-books that you can read online or can
> download freely, check out the big linked E-library at

Ya know, I was just thinkin' about that rub this mornin' and I guess 'cause
I'm so close to Houston and all...the 12 pounds of beef ribs and 10 pounds
of feral hog backstraps I did in the NBBD only took 2 1/2 hours . Really
and no kiddin' and all that. Top thermo read 250 most of the time and in 2
1/2 hours it was screaming "take me offa here." I guess the grill ht temp
musta been a bit higher. It's all in the cooler wrapped up in foil and
towels right now...maybe I'll remember to take a pic for ABF.
Jack (who wonders how much actual meat is gonna be on that 12 poundsa rib
bones.)

Gus

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:09 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Come to think of it, you sure do want us to know how those ribs were

> "really
> > >loaded down with Redneck Rub (R)," which is a secret recipe only

> available
> > >from you and just happens to be the main ingredient in every recipe in

> your
> > >cookbook.
> > >Maybe I'm just a dumb cracker, but I'm starting to wonder if you're

> trying
> > >to sell us something.
> > >Allay my fears, Gus, 'cause I hate being used.
> > >
> > >Jack Curry
> > >-say it ain't so-

> > Good, I thought I was the only one who saw the coincidence.
> > __
> >
> > Socal Bob

> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I didn't
> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this

newsgroup
> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> posts, decided to.
>
> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time for
> your ribs by half.
>
> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

Don't know what is "secret rub" but nothing will reduce the "cooking time"
(Qing time) by half or more or less... You all are having a great time
blasting Gus for his extolling Redneck Rub (R)... .a truly great dry rub.
Gus does not care what you think of Gus, but you will never (NEVER) find a
better dry rub than Redneck Rub (R). Sorry, folks, you cannot buy any over
here on the Web, but you need not make mockery just because you have to
figure out how to make your own "secret recipe rubs."

Sorry, Graeme, that you have been added to the bozo bin, but you can crawl
on back out of there if you behave yourself and stop knocking folks so
badly.

Best to all,
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Jack Sloan

"Gus" > wrote in message

> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> > > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:09 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove

> > "really

> > available

in
> > your

> > trying

> > > Good, I thought I was the only one who saw the coincidence.
> > > __
> > >
> > > Socal Bob

> > Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I

didn't
> > even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this

> newsgroup
> > for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> > posts, decided to.
> >
> > Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time

for
> > your ribs by half.
> >
> > Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)
> >

> ================================================== =======
>
> Don't know what is "secret rub" but nothing will reduce the "cooking time"
> (Qing time) by half or more or less... You all are having a great time
> blasting Gus for his extolling Redneck Rub (R)... .a truly great dry rub.
> Gus does not care what you think of Gus, but you will never (NEVER) find a
> better dry rub than Redneck Rub (R). Sorry, folks, you cannot buy any

over
> here on the Web, but you need not make mockery just because you have to
> figure out how to make your own "secret recipe rubs."
>
> Sorry, Graeme, that you have been added to the bozo bin, but you can crawl
> on back out of there if you behave yourself and stop knocking folks so
> badly.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Well, Gus ain't gonna last long around here with that attitude. Gus....Ya
gotta go back outside wipe yer feet , come back in with yer hat in yer hand
and just look around and listen a while before ya go plonkin' folks.
Jack
Jack

Jack Sloan

"Gus" > wrote in message

> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Bob in socal" > wrote in message
> > > On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:12:09 -0400, "Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove

> > "really

> > available

in
> > your

> > trying

> > > Good, I thought I was the only one who saw the coincidence.
> > > __
> > >
> > > Socal Bob

> > Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I

didn't
> > even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this

> newsgroup
> > for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> > posts, decided to.
> >
> > Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time

for
> > your ribs by half.
> >
> > Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)
> >

> ================================================== =======
>
> Don't know what is "secret rub" but nothing will reduce the "cooking time"
> (Qing time) by half or more or less... You all are having a great time
> blasting Gus for his extolling Redneck Rub (R)... .a truly great dry rub.
> Gus does not care what you think of Gus, but you will never (NEVER) find a
> better dry rub than Redneck Rub (R). Sorry, folks, you cannot buy any

over
> here on the Web, but you need not make mockery just because you have to
> figure out how to make your own "secret recipe rubs."
>
> Sorry, Graeme, that you have been added to the bozo bin, but you can crawl
> on back out of there if you behave yourself and stop knocking folks so
> badly.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

Well, Gus ain't gonna last long around here with that attitude. Gus....Ya
gotta go back outside wipe yer feet , come back in with yer hat in yer hand
and just look around and listen a while before ya go plonkin' folks.
Jack
Jack

Gus

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> [...]

is
> > no cost to anyone to use it.
> >
> > Best to all,
> > Gus Kilthau
> > Houston, Texas
> >

> Ya know, I was just thinkin' about that rub this mornin' and I guess

'cause
> I'm so close to Houston and all...the 12 pounds of beef ribs and 10 pounds
> of feral hog backstraps I did in the NBBD only took 2 1/2 hours . Really
> and no kiddin' and all that. Top thermo read 250 most of the time and in

2
> 1/2 hours it was screaming "take me offa here." I guess the grill ht temp
> musta been a bit higher. It's all in the cooler wrapped up in foil and
> towels right now...maybe I'll remember to take a pic for ABF.
> Jack (who wonders how much actual meat is gonna be on that 12 poundsa rib

Jack Sloan (and all)...

You make lots of sense. Thank you.
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

John

Jack Sloan wrote:

Snipped stuff-

> Ya know, I was just thinkin' about that rub this mornin' and I guess
> 'cause I'm so close to Houston and all...the 12 pounds of beef ribs
> and 10 pounds of feral hog backstraps I did in the NBBD only took 2
> 1/2 hours . Really and no kiddin' and all that. Top thermo read 250
> most of the time and in 2 1/2 hours it was screaming "take me offa
> here." I guess the grill ht temp musta been a bit higher. It's all
> in the cooler wrapped up in foil and towels right now...maybe I'll
> remember to take a pic for ABF. Jack (who wonders how much actual
> meat is gonna be on that 12 poundsa rib bones.)

Would never doubt ya, Sloan, especially about beef ribs being done sooner.
Now, "Gus who speaks of himself in the third person," I'm gonna be a little
skeptical about that guy for a spell.

Jack Curry

Steve Calvin

Gus wrote:

> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

<snipped>
>>Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)
>>

> ================================================== =======
>
> Don't know what is "secret rub" but nothing will reduce the "cooking time"
> (Qing time) by half or more or less... You all are having a great time
> blasting Gus for his extolling Redneck Rub (R)... .a truly great dry rub.
> Gus does not care what you think of Gus, but you will never (NEVER) find a
> better dry rub than Redneck Rub (R). Sorry, folks, you cannot buy any over
> here on the Web, but you need not make mockery just because you have to
> figure out how to make your own "secret recipe rubs."
>
> Sorry, Graeme, that you have been added to the bozo bin, but you can crawl
> on back out of there if you behave yourself and stop knocking folks so
> badly.
>
> Best to all,
> Gus Kilthau
> Houston, Texas

What a piece of work! I consider myself a "newbie" having only been
here for a few months and this guy comes it with some "super secret"
rub and wants an ovation and slaps on the back?

One day and already announcing that he's putting people in the
trash... you'd better run guys! ;-)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Harry in Iowa

"John" > held forth in
news

--
Harry in Iowa

Kevin s. will you tell them what YHBT means?
Jack Curry

Harry in Iowa wrote:

Kevin s. will you tell them what YHBT means

So, Harry in Iowa, you apparently didn't bother to download the PDF version
of Third Person Gus's 24 page illustrated "Cookbook" for "Redneck Rub
Recipes," did you? And take a look at it? Care to have me forward it to
you?
Pretty extensive and elaborate troll, I'd say.

Jack Curry
-pays to do your homework-

Nathan Lau

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Graeme...in London wrote:
>

>> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I didn't
>> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this
>> newsgroup
>> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
>> posts, decided to.
>>
>> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time
>> for
>> your ribs by half.
>>
>> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

> I was wondering as well, but then I'm told that I'm to pessimistic so I
> figured that I'd "hush".

No, I think this guy is "for real":

http://sampsonvets.hypermart.net/gus...sonalpage.html

Get back to Q'en and posting, or else the serious trolls will target us
again.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Graeme...in London

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > Graeme...in London wrote:
> >

> >> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I

didn't
> >> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this
> >> newsgroup
> >> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> >> posts, decided to.
> >>
> >> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time
> >> for
> >> your ribs by half.
> >>
> >> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

> > I was wondering as well, but then I'm told that I'm to pessimistic so I
> > figured that I'd "hush".

> No, I think this guy is "for real":
>
> http://sampsonvets.hypermart.net/gus...sonalpage.html
>
> Get back to Q'en and posting, or else the serious trolls will target us
> again.
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA
>
> #include <std.disclaimer>

I see what you mean now Nathan. He did his training at the his local Sampson
branch of alt.food.barbecue:-)

Graeme (maybe I'll un-plonk this once)

Harry in Iowa

"Jack Curry" > held forth in
:

> Harry in Iowa wrote:
>
> Kevin s. will you tell them what YHBT means
>

> So, Harry in Iowa, you apparently didn't bother to download the PDF
> version of Third Person Gus's 24 page illustrated "Cookbook" for
> "Redneck Rub Recipes," did you? And take a look at it? Care to have
> me forward it to you?
> Pretty extensive and elaborate troll, I'd say.
>
> Jack Curry
> -pays to do your homework-

No, sorry, I generally don't pursue the links offered by self deignated
instant experts. Many lead to virus traps. If he is the genuine article,
he sounds like the Don Imus of BBQ. Anyone who refers to themselves in
the third person think mighty highly of themselves. His bursting on the
scene and holding forth as an expert smacked of trolling.

Harry calls 'em as he see's 'em.

--
Harry in Iowa

Harry tries to keep an open mind.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:23:41 +0000 (UTC), Harry in Iowa
> wrote:

>"Jack Curry" > held forth in
m:

>> Harry in Iowa wrote:
>>
>> Kevin s. will you tell them what YHBT means
>>

>> So, Harry in Iowa, you apparently didn't bother to download the PDF
>> version of Third Person Gus's 24 page illustrated "Cookbook" for
>> "Redneck Rub Recipes," did you? And take a look at it? Care to have
>> me forward it to you?
>> Pretty extensive and elaborate troll, I'd say.
>>
>> Jack Curry
>> -pays to do your homework-
>>

>No, sorry, I generally don't pursue the links offered by self deignated
>instant experts. Many lead to virus traps. If he is the genuine article,
>he sounds like the Don Imus of BBQ. Anyone who refers to themselves in
>the third person think mighty highly of themselves. His bursting on the
>scene and holding forth as an expert smacked of trolling.

<sigh>

He's no troll. Trolling is a type of practical joke, designed to fool
the gullible and expose the know-it-alls for don't-quite-know-it-alls
they are. A practical joke, hence the "YHL. HAND." that generally
follows "YHBT."

The self-proclaimed vegetarians who used to post here are not trolls,
either. They are instead Usenet abusers who attempt to disrupt
newsgroups by posting flame-bait, imflammatory messages intended to
generate spittle-flecked diatribes and personal insults.

Can a troll disrupt a newsgroup? Sure. If I post in a Star Trek
newsgroup that the T in "Captain James T. Kirk" stands for
"Tiberious," the newsgroup may well get temporarely disrupted as the
fan bois fall over themselves to correct the "error." But the fun lies
in watching them take the bait, each one more eager than the other to
demonstrate their intellectual superiority over the original poster.

BTW, don't bother with the Captain Kirk schtick. It's been done.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Harry in Iowa

Kevin S. Wilson > held forth in
:
snip
> Captain Kirk schtick. It's been done.

Beam me up Scotty, there's pseudo-trolls down here.

I smelled troll, I offered my take on it. If this new guy and that fella
Gus he keeps talking about are square its OK with me.

I don't hunt trolls, I just like to point and say, "TROLL!" When I do it
in town I get funny looks.

Bye the bye, my boston butt, bottom round, turkey extravaganza turned out
better than I expected. No leftovers, rave reviews and no one was drunk.

Go figure.

--
Harry in Iowa

Troll patrol, watch yerself.
Jack Sloan

"Harry in Iowa" > wrote in message > Bye the
bye, my boston butt, bottom round, turkey extravaganza turned out
> better than I expected. No leftovers, rave reviews and no one was drunk.
>
> Go figure.
>
> --
> Harry in Iowa

Nobody drunk....what kinda party is that?
Jack

GmagicB

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message

> No, I think this guy is "for real":
>
> http://sampsonvets.hypermart.net/gus...sonalpage.html
>
> Get back to Q'en and posting, or else the serious trolls will target us
> again.
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA

Thanks for doing the research, Nathan. I'm going to say I think you're right
and Gus is for real.

What amazes me is this: Here's a guy who's a vet, who does what would appear
to be a considerable amount of charity work, and who shares the passion that
makes this group. Now, maybe he comes knockin' on the AFB group with a rough
hand. So what? Anybody here want to cut the guy a break? Precious few, it
looks like.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? So busy being glib you have to always
shoot off at the mouth and think later?

I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got nothing
to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew, and
settle right in.

There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do so
willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
others with more to say than they should.

Later,
George

Jack Curry

"GmagicB" > wrote in message
ink.net...

snipped Nathan's remarks-

> Thanks for doing the research, Nathan. I'm going to say I think you're
> right
> and Gus is for real.
>
> What amazes me is this: Here's a guy who's a vet, who does what would
> appear
> to be a considerable amount of charity work, and who shares the passion
> that
> makes this group.

Plenty of us are vets, do charity work and have the Q passion. And many of
us have been here for *many years,* posting and trying to be helpful to
other Qers. No offense, GmagicB, but you've been posting here since August,
2004, so maybe you don't have the depth of experience with trolls, spammers
and generally disruptive buttheads that have paraded their way through this
ng on a regular basis. It's that experience that makes us wary and
occasionally a bit trigger-happy.

>Now, maybe he comes knockin' on the AFB group with a rough
> hand. So what? Anybody here want to cut the guy a break? Precious few, it
> looks like.

Seems to me while Gus isn't a troll or a spammer, his "Secret Recipe" really
isn't in the tradition of sharing that every single one of the old-timers
around here believe in. This group is about barbecue; the real masters who
dwell here have no secrets, just ask a question and you'll get an answer.
Hang around awhile and you'll see that for yourself. Meanwhile, it's
Usenet. Gus can post as he chooses.

> What the hell is wrong with you guys? So busy being glib you have to
> always
> shoot off at the mouth and think later?
>
> I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got
> nothing
> to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew, and
> settle right in.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that you asked about great
Philly barbecue and were told "Nope, ain't none" and maybe a few guys made
fun of you for persisting? Here's my suggestion, GmagicB. Plonk everyone
you think is "glib, smug, self-righteous, has nothing to offer, shoots off
at the mouth, offers mean-ness and have more to say than they should." Then
you'll have everyone that's left to enjoy.

I doubt I'll be one of them.

> There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do so
> willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> others with more to say than they should.

Spoken with authority, newbie. Check your mirror.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry

"GmagicB" > wrote in message
ink.net...

snipped Nathan's remarks-

> Thanks for doing the research, Nathan. I'm going to say I think you're
> right
> and Gus is for real.
>
> What amazes me is this: Here's a guy who's a vet, who does what would
> appear
> to be a considerable amount of charity work, and who shares the passion
> that
> makes this group.

Plenty of us are vets, do charity work and have the Q passion. And many of
us have been here for *many years,* posting and trying to be helpful to
other Qers. No offense, GmagicB, but you've been posting here since August,
2004, so maybe you don't have the depth of experience with trolls, spammers
and generally disruptive buttheads that have paraded their way through this
ng on a regular basis. It's that experience that makes us wary and
occasionally a bit trigger-happy.

>Now, maybe he comes knockin' on the AFB group with a rough
> hand. So what? Anybody here want to cut the guy a break? Precious few, it
> looks like.

Seems to me while Gus isn't a troll or a spammer, his "Secret Recipe" really
isn't in the tradition of sharing that every single one of the old-timers
around here believe in. This group is about barbecue; the real masters who
dwell here have no secrets, just ask a question and you'll get an answer.
Hang around awhile and you'll see that for yourself. Meanwhile, it's
Usenet. Gus can post as he chooses.

> What the hell is wrong with you guys? So busy being glib you have to
> always
> shoot off at the mouth and think later?
>
> I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got
> nothing
> to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew, and
> settle right in.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that you asked about great
Philly barbecue and were told "Nope, ain't none" and maybe a few guys made
fun of you for persisting? Here's my suggestion, GmagicB. Plonk everyone
you think is "glib, smug, self-righteous, has nothing to offer, shoots off
at the mouth, offers mean-ness and have more to say than they should." Then
you'll have everyone that's left to enjoy.

I doubt I'll be one of them.

> There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do so
> willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> others with more to say than they should.

Spoken with authority, newbie. Check your mirror.

Jack Curry

GmagicB

"Jack Curry" <Jack-CurryRemove > wrote in message

> [...]

and
> > settle right in.

> Does this have anything to do with the fact that you asked about great
> Philly barbecue and were told "Nope, ain't none" and maybe a few guys made
> fun of you for persisting? Here's my suggestion, GmagicB. Plonk

everyone
> you think is "glib, smug, self-righteous, has nothing to offer, shoots off
> at the mouth, offers mean-ness and have more to say than they should."

Then
> you'll have everyone that's left to enjoy.
>
> I doubt I'll be one of them.
>

> > There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do

so
> > willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> > others with more to say than they should.

> Spoken with authority, newbie. Check your mirror.

Jack -

Think I'll just check th rear-view mirror. That way you'll keep getting
smaller than you already are.

Later,
G.

Later,
George

GmagicB

> [...]

> Philly barbecue and were told "Nope, ain't none" and maybe a few guys made
> fun of you for persisting? Here's my suggestion, GmagicB. Plonk

everyone
> you think is "glib, smug, self-righteous, has nothing to offer, shoots off
> at the mouth, offers mean-ness and have more to say than they should."

Then
> you'll have everyone that's left to enjoy.
>
> I doubt I'll be one of them.
>

> > There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do

so
> > willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> > others with more to say than they should.

> Spoken with authority, newbie. Check your mirror.
>
> Jack Curry

Jack -

Think I'll just check th rear-view mirror. That way you'll keep getting

Scarlet Pimpernel

"GmagicB" > wrote in message link.net>...
...snip..
> I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got nothing
> to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew, and
> settle right in.
>
> There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do so
> willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> others with more to say than they should.
>
> Later,
> George

Thanks, George, for saying what needed to be said. Everyone here is a
volunteer, and nobody owns this place. So lets just exercise some
restraint, and show a little respect...

/s
Harry in Iowa

"Jack Sloan" > held forth in
:

> "Harry in Iowa" > wrote in message > Bye
> the bye, my boston butt, bottom round, turkey extravaganza turned out
>> better than I expected. No leftovers, rave reviews and no one was
>> drunk.
>>
>> Go figure.
>>
>> --
>> Harry in Iowa
>>

> Nobody drunk....what kinda party is that?
> Jack

The boring kind that happens at work. At least I got stone cold sober
reviews. Yes, the bottom round was a bit dry. Sauce the hell out it,
you'll never notice.

--
Harry in Iowa

Still wondering why I'm so bored.

Jack Sloan

"Scarlet Pimpernel" > wrote in message
om...
> "GmagicB" > wrote in message

link.net>...
> ..snip..
> > I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got

nothing
> > to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew,

and
> > settle right in.
> >
> > There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do

so
> > willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> > others with more to say than they should.
> >
> > Later,
> > George

> Thanks, George, for saying what needed to be said. Everyone here is a
> volunteer, and nobody owns this place. So lets just exercise some
> restraint, and show a little respect...

Man, This could get really ugly...
Jack<g>

Gus

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > Graeme...in London wrote:
> >

> >> Yep, Bob, and JC. The waft of spam had even travelled to the UK. I

didn't
> >> even bother to open the URL link as the old "stumbled across this
> >> newsgroup
> >> for the 1st time today" line left a nasty taste, but after reading the
> >> posts, decided to.
> >>
> >> Secret Rub (R)! It sure is magic stuff. It decrease's the cooking time
> >> for
> >> your ribs by half.
> >>
> >> Graeme (another one added to the bozo bin)

> > I was wondering as well, but then I'm told that I'm to pessimistic so I
> > figured that I'd "hush".

> No, I think this guy is "for real":
>
> http://sampsonvets.hypermart.net/gus...sonalpage.html
>
> Get back to Q'en and posting, or else the serious trolls will target us
> again.
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA
>
> #include <std.disclaimer>

Yes Nathan... (and I thank you)

Gus IS real. And I thank you, too, for looking at
http://www.sampsonvets.com.

AND... if anyone knows of any rub that can cut the Qing time in half, I'd
love to learn of it.

Best to all
(even though you all are really picking on me rather badly...)
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas

Gus

"GmagicB" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
>

> > No, I think this guy is "for real":
> >
> > http://sampsonvets.hypermart.net/gus...sonalpage.html
> >
> > Get back to Q'en and posting, or else the serious trolls will target us
> > again.
> >
> > --
> > Aloha,
> >
> > Nathan Lau
> > San Jose, CA
> >

> Thanks for doing the research, Nathan. I'm going to say I think you're

right
> and Gus is for real.
>
> What amazes me is this: Here's a guy who's a vet, who does what would

appear
> to be a considerable amount of charity work, and who shares the passion

that
> makes this group. Now, maybe he comes knockin' on the AFB group with a

rough
> hand. So what? Anybody here want to cut the guy a break? Precious few, it
> looks like.
>
> What the hell is wrong with you guys? So busy being glib you have to

always
> shoot off at the mouth and think later?
>
> I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got

nothing
> to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew, and
> settle right in.
>
> There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do so
> willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> others with more to say than they should.
>
> Later,
> George

Howdy George...

Well now, I guess I have to think of myself as a winner... that is 3 THREE
"nice" messages received on this NG so far, and your's was a real blessing
to me. (I was beginning to feel truly bad about trying to deal nicely with
this group and some of the troops here who wanted to call me a spammer, a
liar, and a dumbass as to Q-ing...) But, anyway, you have made it OK for me
to sleep nicely tonight, and phooey on what anyone else wants to lay on me.
With folks like you in evidence on this NG, they can say anything they want
to about me.

By the way, I shared those "quick Q" ribs with my friends at the hospital
last night and they gobbled them up and yelled for more. (So much for that,
right?)

Best to youGeorge, and to the rest, too.

Jack Schidt®

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Scarlet Pimpernel" > wrote in message
> om...
>> "GmagicB" > wrote in message

> link.net>...
>> ..snip..
>> > I say, Welcome, Gus. Pay no attention the smug, self-righteous, got

> nothing
>> > to offer but plenty of mean-ness to spit out for no good reason crew,

> and
>> > settle right in.
>> >
>> > There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do

> so
>> > willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
>> > others with more to say than they should.
>> >
>> > Later,
>> > George

>> Thanks, George, for saying what needed to be said. Everyone here is a
>> volunteer, and nobody owns this place. So lets just exercise some
>> restraint, and show a little respect...
>>

> Man, This could get really ugly...
> Jack<g>

I'll step out of retirement for a minute just to comment that it looks like
Gus came on kinda strong, but I think he'll do ok. Looks like at this point
you got the dick sizes and car engines out of the way so now the Q talk can
continue.

Carry on,
Jack

Gus

> [...]

and
> > settle right in.

> Does this have anything to do with the fact that you asked about great
> Philly barbecue and were told "Nope, ain't none" and maybe a few guys made
> fun of you for persisting? Here's my suggestion, GmagicB. Plonk

everyone
> you think is "glib, smug, self-righteous, has nothing to offer, shoots off
> at the mouth, offers mean-ness and have more to say than they should."

Then
> you'll have everyone that's left to enjoy.
>
> I doubt I'll be one of them.
>

> > There are plenty of people on this group with a lot to offer and who do

so
> > willingly and in the spirit of camaraderie. There are, alas, plenty of
> > others with more to say than they should.

> Spoken with authority, newbie. Check your mirror.

Oh Jack Curry...

I can truly understand that a person who started this NG and kept it going
for years might want to forget his original purpose for the NG and to now to
shout "authority" and knock on a "newbie," but I really don't think that
either is appropriate or remotely polite... and what I am saying to you here
is not what you all call "plonkin." It is just common decency.
I cannot believe that folks who maintain that they want to be "helpful" and
so on can carry on the way some of you all carry on. You really make me
wonder... not all of you, but some of you. You have not been nice to
"newbies" as nearly as can be seen from your postings, and, from what I have
seen in a LARGE number of years of Qing, you are not particulary the last
and final word on HOW to Q. So why don't you loosen up a little bit and, in
youu old age of Qing, attempt to listen to others and to be polite to them
even if you don't like what they have to tell. At least, stop calling folks
liars and spammers when, indeed, they are neither.

Bite on a good rib, chomp on a meltin' tender slice of brisket, swallow some
Qd beans, or do something , like maybe take a pill, or whatever... but get
off your high horse and be civil at the very least.

Best to all, and even to you Jack Curry...
Gus Kilthau
Houston, Texas