Matthew L. Martin

Default Glasgow or Edinburgh? Both?

We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
5th in Scotland, where would you go?

I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
attractions around both cities.

OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.

Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Andy & Tracey

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Well why not do both........

I'm from Glasgow myself, If it were me, I would fly into Glasgow, you can
base yourself there, there are trains every 30 minutes or so from Glasgow
Queen Street Station to Edinburgh, which is only about a 30 minute journey.
But by basing yourself in Glasgow (Not the capital city, but by far the
largest in Scotland) you are at the hub of the rail and bus network if you
want to see / do anything else.....

Now you will probably get someone from Edinburgh coming on and saying the
same for their city, however it doesn't really matter, as they are so close
together anyway, and the rail connection between is sooooooooooooo good.

If you need to knowany more just gimme a shout.

Andy

Andy & Tracey

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Well why not do both........

I'm from Glasgow myself, If it were me, I would fly into Glasgow, you can
base yourself there, there are trains every 30 minutes or so from Glasgow
Queen Street Station to Edinburgh, which is only about a 30 minute journey.
But by basing yourself in Glasgow (Not the capital city, but by far the
largest in Scotland) you are at the hub of the rail and bus network if you
want to see / do anything else.....

Now you will probably get someone from Edinburgh coming on and saying the
same for their city, however it doesn't really matter, as they are so close
together anyway, and the rail connection between is sooooooooooooo good.

If you need to knowany more just gimme a shout.

Andy

Graeme...in London

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Matthew,

Good to hear that you're visiting the Holy Land in the not to distant
future.

I personally would visit both. You have a week, and a few nights in
Edinburgh and a few in Glasgow will see you fine. I would highly recommend
that you catch an early morning train from Glasgow Queen St. Station (there
are 2 stations in Glasgow, the other being Central) to Fort William and find
yourself a good B&B there. Next morning take the steam train to Mallaig.
This was voted one of the 10 greatest train journeys in the world, and if my
experiences are anything to go by, the other nine are behind this journey.
You have to do it, it is truly magnificent!

St. Andrews is also worth a visit. Easily reached by train from Edinburgh
(approx 1 hour), and not only the home of golf, it has a really good array
of shops, eateries and pubs, and is rather quaint.

You might get lucky with the weather at the time of year you are visiting
too, Sept/Oct can sometimes be the better months in Scotland, but to be on
the safe side, pack an umbrella with you.

BBQ joints in Scotland! You'll be lucky to find a decent restaurant of any
description, however, Scotland does produce some fine cold smoked
foodstuffs, kippers and salmon spring to mind, and you simply have to try
haggis. My $10 to your $1 says you, and your beloved will enjoy it!

I may also be in Scotland on business around that time, so I'll keep you
informed if you fancy a pint of Belhaven (one of Scotland's better beers)

You know how to get in touch.

Graeme

Graeme...in London

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Matthew,

Good to hear that you're visiting the Holy Land in the not to distant
future.

I personally would visit both. You have a week, and a few nights in
Edinburgh and a few in Glasgow will see you fine. I would highly recommend
that you catch an early morning train from Glasgow Queen St. Station (there
are 2 stations in Glasgow, the other being Central) to Fort William and find
yourself a good B&B there. Next morning take the steam train to Mallaig.
This was voted one of the 10 greatest train journeys in the world, and if my
experiences are anything to go by, the other nine are behind this journey.
You have to do it, it is truly magnificent!

St. Andrews is also worth a visit. Easily reached by train from Edinburgh
(approx 1 hour), and not only the home of golf, it has a really good array
of shops, eateries and pubs, and is rather quaint.

You might get lucky with the weather at the time of year you are visiting
too, Sept/Oct can sometimes be the better months in Scotland, but to be on
the safe side, pack an umbrella with you.

BBQ joints in Scotland! You'll be lucky to find a decent restaurant of any
description, however, Scotland does produce some fine cold smoked
foodstuffs, kippers and salmon spring to mind, and you simply have to try
haggis. My $10 to your $1 says you, and your beloved will enjoy it!

I may also be in Scotland on business around that time, so I'll keep you
informed if you fancy a pint of Belhaven (one of Scotland's better beers)

You know how to get in touch.

Graeme

DC.

Hi Martin,

I don't know Glasgow & Edinburgh that well, Graeme will fill you in on that,
but while in Dublin, here's a few pointers.

1. Johnny Fox's in Glencullen, South Dublin, somewhere up in the Dublin
mountains. Good seafood. It's quite famous & you'll see sign posts for it on
most busy/big junctions up along the mountain roads. Check out the excellent
seafood menu http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm get a taxi or hire a car to get
there.
2. Anglers rest, chapelizard, north Dublin. good seafood.
3. Guinness brewery
4. Bewleys cafe... of which there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, a
typical Irish cafe serving all day breakfasts to meals, cakes, tea etc.
5. Enniskerry - drive or bus it there.
6. Powerscourt estate just outside Enniskerry
7. For the best seafood... head west to Cork, Kinsale & further on. While in
Cork, check out the English market & pick up a kilo or 2 of salted ling.

DC.

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

DC.

Hi Martin,

I don't know Glasgow & Edinburgh that well, Graeme will fill you in on that,
but while in Dublin, here's a few pointers.

1. Johnny Fox's in Glencullen, South Dublin, somewhere up in the Dublin
mountains. Good seafood. It's quite famous & you'll see sign posts for it on
most busy/big junctions up along the mountain roads. Check out the excellent
seafood menu http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm get a taxi or hire a car to get
there.
2. Anglers rest, chapelizard, north Dublin. good seafood.
3. Guinness brewery
4. Bewleys cafe... of which there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, a
typical Irish cafe serving all day breakfasts to meals, cakes, tea etc.
5. Enniskerry - drive or bus it there.
6. Powerscourt estate just outside Enniskerry
7. For the best seafood... head west to Cork, Kinsale & further on. While in
Cork, check out the English market & pick up a kilo or 2 of salted ling.

DC.

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
> Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
> Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
> the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
> 5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>
> I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
> I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
> attractions around both cities.
>
> OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
> with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
> hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>
> Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)

Matthew L. Martin

DC. wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I don't know Glasgow & Edinburgh that well, Graeme will fill you in on that,
> but while in Dublin, here's a few pointers.
>
> 1. Johnny Fox's in Glencullen, South Dublin, somewhere up in the Dublin
> mountains. Good seafood. It's quite famous & you'll see sign posts for it on
> most busy/big junctions up along the mountain roads. Check out the excellent
> seafood menu http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm get a taxi or hire a car to get
> there.
> 2. Anglers rest, chapelizard, north Dublin. good seafood.
> 3. Guinness brewery
> 4. Bewleys cafe... of which there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, a
> typical Irish cafe serving all day breakfasts to meals, cakes, tea etc.

Thanks for the pointers. This is our third trip to Ireland, but our
first visit to Dublin.

> 5. Enniskerry - drive or bus it there.
> 6. Powerscourt estate just outside Enniskerry
> 7. For the best seafood... head west to Cork, Kinsale & further on. While in
> Cork, check out the English market & pick up a kilo or 2 of salted ling.

These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
the ling. What's a ling?)

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

DC. wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I don't know Glasgow & Edinburgh that well, Graeme will fill you in on that,
> but while in Dublin, here's a few pointers.
>
> 1. Johnny Fox's in Glencullen, South Dublin, somewhere up in the Dublin
> mountains. Good seafood. It's quite famous & you'll see sign posts for it on
> most busy/big junctions up along the mountain roads. Check out the excellent
> seafood menu http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm get a taxi or hire a car to get
> there.
> 2. Anglers rest, chapelizard, north Dublin. good seafood.
> 3. Guinness brewery
> 4. Bewleys cafe... of which there are quite a few dotted around Dublin, a
> typical Irish cafe serving all day breakfasts to meals, cakes, tea etc.

Thanks for the pointers. This is our third trip to Ireland, but our
first visit to Dublin.

> 5. Enniskerry - drive or bus it there.
> 6. Powerscourt estate just outside Enniskerry
> 7. For the best seafood... head west to Cork, Kinsale & further on. While in
> Cork, check out the English market & pick up a kilo or 2 of salted ling.

These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
the ling. What's a ling?)

Matthew

F.G. Whitfurrows

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> DC. wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I don't know Glasgow & Edinburgh that well, Graeme will fill you in
>> on that, but while in Dublin, here's a few pointers.
>>
>> 1. Johnny Fox's in Glencullen, South Dublin, somewhere up in the
>> Dublin mountains. Good seafood. It's quite famous & you'll see sign
>> posts for it on most busy/big junctions up along the mountain roads.
>> Check out the excellent seafood menu http://www.jfp.ie/home.htm get
>> a taxi or hire a car to get there.
>> 2. Anglers rest, chapelizard, north Dublin. good seafood.
>> 3. Guinness brewery
>> 4. Bewleys cafe... of which there are quite a few dotted around
>> Dublin, a typical Irish cafe serving all day breakfasts to meals,
>> cakes, tea etc.

> Thanks for the pointers. This is our third trip to Ireland, but our
> first visit to Dublin.
>
>> 5. Enniskerry - drive or bus it there.
>> 6. Powerscourt estate just outside Enniskerry
>> 7. For the best seafood... head west to Cork, Kinsale & further on.
>> While in Cork, check out the English market & pick up a kilo or 2 of
>> salted ling.

> These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
> the ling. What's a ling?)

Its a fish. Look up Ling Cod, I think.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them
away.
Ronald Reagan

Craig Watts

>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>the ling. What's a ling?)
>
>Matthew

All Ireland:

Do not miss out on the ring of Carrie (sp). AND DO NOT live further on
this earth without visiting the Cliffs Of Mother. (east Coast)
Craig Watts

>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>the ling. What's a ling?)
>
>Matthew

All Ireland:

Do not miss out on the ring of Carrie (sp). AND DO NOT live further on
this earth without visiting the Cliffs Of Mother. (east Coast)
Matthew L. Martin

Craig Watts wrote:
>>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>>the ling. What's a ling?)
>>
>>Matthew

> All Ireland:
>
> Do not miss out on the ring of Carrie (sp). AND DO NOT live further on
> this earth without visiting the Cliffs Of Mother. (east Coast)

We've been there twice. It's not far from the smokehouse. We are
planning to go to Co. Donegal where the cliffs are taller(!)

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

Craig Watts wrote:
>>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>>the ling. What's a ling?)
>>
>>Matthew

> All Ireland:
>
> Do not miss out on the ring of Carrie (sp). AND DO NOT live further on
> this earth without visiting the Cliffs Of Mother. (east Coast)

We've been there twice. It's not far from the smokehouse. We are
planning to go to Co. Donegal where the cliffs are taller(!)

Matthew

DC.

<snip>

> > These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
> > the ling. What's a ling?)
> >

> Its a fish. Look up Ling Cod, I think.

That's right, it's a relative of the cod, big white chunky fillet of fish
meat, salted & dried. Soak it in water to get rid of the salt a couple of
times etc. & you'll get very tasty fish. In the Med. countries it's also
called Bacalao from Portugal to Greece. It's also found in Norway but i
don't know the name of it there. A good way of preserving fish & for some
reason, after the soaking & rinsing... i sweat the fish taste 'sweeter'. You
can bake it, batter & fry it whole, etc. but the best i've had is the west
indian/Jamaican style of cooking 'salt fish' by mixing a savoury batter &
deep frying nugget size chunks of them. Mmmmm.....

DC.

DC.

<snip>

> > These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
> > the ling. What's a ling?)
> >

> Its a fish. Look up Ling Cod, I think.

That's right, it's a relative of the cod, big white chunky fillet of fish
meat, salted & dried. Soak it in water to get rid of the salt a couple of
times etc. & you'll get very tasty fish. In the Med. countries it's also
called Bacalao from Portugal to Greece. It's also found in Norway but i
don't know the name of it there. A good way of preserving fish & for some
reason, after the soaking & rinsing... i sweat the fish taste 'sweeter'. You
can bake it, batter & fry it whole, etc. but the best i've had is the west
indian/Jamaican style of cooking 'salt fish' by mixing a savoury batter &
deep frying nugget size chunks of them. Mmmmm.....

DC.

Matthew L. Martin

DC. wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>>>the ling. What's a ling?)
>>>

>>Its a fish. Look up Ling Cod, I think.
>>

> That's right, it's a relative of the cod, big white chunky fillet of fish
> meat, salted & dried. Soak it in water to get rid of the salt a couple of
> times etc. & you'll get very tasty fish. In the Med. countries it's also
> called Bacalao from Portugal to Greece. It's also found in Norway but i
> don't know the name of it there. A good way of preserving fish & for some
> reason, after the soaking & rinsing... i sweat the fish taste 'sweeter'. You
> can bake it, batter & fry it whole, etc. but the best i've had is the west
> indian/Jamaican style of cooking 'salt fish' by mixing a savoury batter &
> deep frying nugget size chunks of them. Mmmmm.....

The Jamaician national dish is Ackee and Saltfish. It's very good.

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

DC. wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>>These we have done and the smokehouse in lisdoonvarna, too (well, not
>>>the ling. What's a ling?)
>>>

>>Its a fish. Look up Ling Cod, I think.
>>

> That's right, it's a relative of the cod, big white chunky fillet of fish
> meat, salted & dried. Soak it in water to get rid of the salt a couple of
> times etc. & you'll get very tasty fish. In the Med. countries it's also
> called Bacalao from Portugal to Greece. It's also found in Norway but i
> don't know the name of it there. A good way of preserving fish & for some
> reason, after the soaking & rinsing... i sweat the fish taste 'sweeter'. You
> can bake it, batter & fry it whole, etc. but the best i've had is the west
> indian/Jamaican style of cooking 'salt fish' by mixing a savoury batter &
> deep frying nugget size chunks of them. Mmmmm.....

The Jamaician national dish is Ackee and Saltfish. It's very good.

Matthew

Matthew L. Martin

Graeme...in London wrote:

> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>
>>We are headed to Dublin on a two week vacation in late September.
>>Aerlingus has cheap flights to Scotland as well as most of western
>>Europe while we are vacationing. My wife doesn't really want to go to
>>the continent, so ... If you could spend September 30th through October
>>5th in Scotland, where would you go?
>>
>>I'm trying to avoid turning this into yet another driving vacation, so
>>I'd just as soon not rent a car. There appears to be plenty of
>>attractions around both cities.
>>
>>OB BBQ: I just put three racks of spares on the WSM. I'm smoking them
>>with maple wood. I'll be adding a bunch of chicken pieces in a couple of
>>hours. I think I'll do the chicken with crabapple wood.
>>
>>Matthew (Any good BBQ joints to be found in Scotland:-?)
>>

> Matthew,
>
> Good to hear that you're visiting the Holy Land in the not to distant
> future.
>
> I personally would visit both. You have a week, and a few nights in
> Edinburgh and a few in Glasgow will see you fine. I would highly recommend
> that you catch an early morning train from Glasgow Queen St. Station (there
> are 2 stations in Glasgow, the other being Central) to Fort William and find
> yourself a good B&B there. Next morning take the steam train to Mallaig.
> This was voted one of the 10 greatest train journeys in the world, and if my
> experiences are anything to go by, the other nine are behind this journey.
> You have to do it, it is truly magnificent!

That train is now on our "must do" list. Thanks. BTW, it stops running
the week after we are in Scotland.

> St. Andrews is also worth a visit. Easily reached by train from Edinburgh
> (approx 1 hour), and not only the home of golf, it has a really good array
> of shops, eateries and pubs, and is rather quaint.

I don't golf, so the other attractions will have to do.

> You might get lucky with the weather at the time of year you are visiting
> too, Sept/Oct can sometimes be the better months in Scotland, but to be on
> the safe side, pack an umbrella with you.

Or two:-)

> BBQ joints in Scotland! You'll be lucky to find a decent restaurant of any
> description, however, Scotland does produce some fine cold smoked
> foodstuffs, kippers and salmon spring to mind, and you simply have to try
> haggis. My $10 to your $1 says you, and your beloved will enjoy it!

I will try any food once, most twice, just to be certain that I don't
like it. So far, in 52 years, the only food I haven't done twice is sea
urchin sushi.

> I may also be in Scotland on business around that time, so I'll keep you
> informed if you fancy a pint of Belhaven (one of Scotland's better beers)
>
> You know how to get in touch.

I'll be emailing you once we have our plans more settled.

Thanks again,

Matthew