A. Kesteloo

Default first try. Advise needed

Hi there,

Tomorrow I will start my home build bbq / smoker for the first time with:.

Meat: part of pig shoulder, 2.65 pound

Marinade: olive oil, garlic, shopped fresh Italian spices, salt pepper, skin
of lemon

mop: white wine

wood: oak

The bbq / smoker uses wood as fuel

Is a temp of 215 Fahrenheit in the bbq / smoker ok?

What should the internal temp of the meat be when it is done?

Any idea how long it will take?

Hope you can help me out

Adriaan

(The Netherlands)

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:44:31 +0200, "A. Kesteloo"
> wrote:

>Hi there,

>Tomorrow I will start my home build bbq / smoker for the first time with:.
>
>Meat: part of pig shoulder, 2.65 pound

Why so small? Just as much work to cook a couple 8-pounders as it is
to cook a 2.65-pounder.

>Marinade: olive oil, garlic, shopped fresh Italian spices, salt pepper, skin
>of lemon
>
>mop: white wine

Waste of time and wine. Butts have enough fat to stay moist. If the
fat cap is still on, you'll be mopping a part that I usually throw
away.

>wood: oak

>The bbq / smoker uses wood as fuel
>
>Is a temp of 215 Fahrenheit in the bbq / smoker ok?

No need to try to keep it that low. Anywhere from 225 to 275 works for
me.

>What should the internal temp of the meat be when it is done?

It's sliceable at 165, though much of the fat will be unrendered. It's
pullable at 190.

>Any idea how long it will take?

Dunno. Butts can hold at 165 for hours as the collagen breaks down and
the fat renders out. I usually do two or three 8-pounders at a time,
and it usually takes anywhere from 12 to 18 hours. You won't need to
go that long with the small piece you have.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:44:31 +0200, "A. Kesteloo"
> wrote:

>Hi there,

>Tomorrow I will start my home build bbq / smoker for the first time with:.
>
>Meat: part of pig shoulder, 2.65 pound

Why so small? Just as much work to cook a couple 8-pounders as it is
to cook a 2.65-pounder.

>Marinade: olive oil, garlic, shopped fresh Italian spices, salt pepper, skin
>of lemon
>
>mop: white wine

Waste of time and wine. Butts have enough fat to stay moist. If the
fat cap is still on, you'll be mopping a part that I usually throw
away.

>wood: oak

>The bbq / smoker uses wood as fuel
>
>Is a temp of 215 Fahrenheit in the bbq / smoker ok?

No need to try to keep it that low. Anywhere from 225 to 275 works for
me.

>What should the internal temp of the meat be when it is done?

It's sliceable at 165, though much of the fat will be unrendered. It's
pullable at 190.

>Any idea how long it will take?

Dunno. Butts can hold at 165 for hours as the collagen breaks down and
the fat renders out. I usually do two or three 8-pounders at a time,
and it usually takes anywhere from 12 to 18 hours. You won't need to
go that long with the small piece you have.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
A. Kesteloo

I followed your advise

Temp in bbq 250 F

Internal temp of meat 175 F

It took +/- 4 hours

Drank the wine instead of using it as a mop

Color of the meat gray with a "pink" ring. I suppose that that is the
smokering.

Marinade was good, although more salt next time

Although the meat was done, it was a bit hard to chew on. Is this because
the meat is dry (to long in the bbq) of because it was not done enough?

The taste was good, but not a big smoke taste. Could this be caused by wood
the wood being to dry? Although cut a year ago, it has been indoors al year
long. Burned fast without much visible smoke. I used oak wood only, no lump

hope you can help me out,

Adriaan

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 21:44:31 +0200, "A. Kesteloo"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi there,

> >Tomorrow I will start my home build bbq / smoker for the first time

with:.

> >Meat: part of pig shoulder, 2.65 pound

> Why so small? Just as much work to cook a couple 8-pounders as it is
> to cook a 2.65-pounder.
>
> >Marinade: olive oil, garlic, shopped fresh Italian spices, salt pepper,

skin
> >of lemon
> >
> >mop: white wine

> Waste of time and wine. Butts have enough fat to stay moist. If the
> fat cap is still on, you'll be mopping a part that I usually throw
> away.
>
> >wood: oak

> >The bbq / smoker uses wood as fuel
> >
> >Is a temp of 215 Fahrenheit in the bbq / smoker ok?

> No need to try to keep it that low. Anywhere from 225 to 275 works for
> me.
>
> >What should the internal temp of the meat be when it is done?

> It's sliceable at 165, though much of the fat will be unrendered. It's
> pullable at 190.
>
> >Any idea how long it will take?
> >

> Dunno. Butts can hold at 165 for hours as the collagen breaks down and
> the fat renders out. I usually do two or three 8-pounders at a time,
> and it usually takes anywhere from 12 to 18 hours. You won't need to
> go that long with the small piece you have.
>
> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
> "Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

A. Kesteloo