A. Kesteloo

Default lang , klose experts advise needed with designing steel smoker

With the help of this newsgroup I build a smoker. A view days ago I wrote an
evaluation about it's functionality. Although I'm satisfied with it, it is
already to small. So I hope I can get your help again in designing a new and
bigger smoker.

Demands:
Must fit on a trailer
Horizontal Smoke chamber 600 to 1000 liter (160 / 260 gallon)
Minimum of Two cooking Surfaces (total of min 1.5 m2)
Easy cleaning
Easy to work with
Grill options

Optional:
Vertical smoke chamber
Warmer box

With my first design, dinner planning was easy. When the meat is done, we
eat! With this new design I would like to do some occasional catering. Witch
would probably mean; when the crowd wants to eat, the meat must be ready. So
I must have a place where I can keep the meat when it is done.

For my new design I looked at pits from klose, lang, Pitts & Spitts and
Gator Pits. Klose pits are outstanding, but with an extra grill mounted on
the trailer, as well as an vertical smoke chamber, the rig would get long.
With the lang construction of pipes running from the firebox to the end of
the smoke chamber instead of tuning plates, the vertical smoke chamber can
be place above the firebox, making the rig at least 50 cm smaller. But will
this pipe system be efficient in heat (hotspots) and airflow?

Vertical smoke chamber versus warmer box.?
In my original idea I thought I would build an vertical smoke chamber. The
temperature would be lower than in the horizontal smoke chamber. I hoped to
use this one to smoke sausages and as a place to store food when it is done,
but the people are not ready to eat (max storing time 30 minutes?). since it
is a part of the chimney, would there not be a problem with the meat drying
out? The lang design uses a warming box on top of the fire box with smoking
possibilities. I don't know how the designed this, but since warm air takes
the easy way up, would this option not create an airflow problem in the
horizontal smoke chamber?

Grill versus firebox?
An extra grill needs space, and it's own fuel. This does not look efficient
(although it gives flexibility) some designs have an lid on the firebox, so
the firebox can act as a grill. Doe the temp in the smoke chamber drop
rapidly when opening the lid when grilling?

Why a grill?
In the Netherlands we do not bbq like in the USA. We grill. I think there is
a market for bbq, but I must have grill options for hamburger, sausages etc.
because the grill will be more than occasional used, I think the "fireboxlid
/ grill combi" is not an option for me, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Conclusion
After thinking it over, my suggestion would be:
Off set design, with the lang pipe construction.
Fixed warm box over firebox instead of optional vertical smoke chamber
External grill (like with some klose pits)

Will this work, or can you correct me if there are better options?

I hope you can help me out,

Adriaan

Brick

On 31-Mar-2005, "A. Kesteloo" > wrote:

> With the help of this newsgroup I build a smoker. A view days ago I wrote
> an
> evaluation about it's functionality. Although I'm satisfied with it, it is
> already to small. So I hope I can get your help again in designing a new
> and
> bigger smoker.

<snip>

> Will this work, or can you correct me if there are better options?
>
> I hope you can help me out,
>
> Adriaan

Go to <http://www.lazyq.com/>

Big Jim builds a cooker exactly as you
describe. Horizontal pit, vertical smoker, grill and all. Trailer mounted.
Pictures on his website. I'm sure he'd be willing to share design
details with you since he is not likely to ship to Netherlands.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

All-clad advise needed. dan[_4_] General Cooking 9 10-10-2007 03:20 PM
Klose Smoker? David[_7_] Cooking Equipment 4 27-08-2007 08:09 PM
Klose Smoker David[_7_] Barbecue 6 21-08-2007 02:30 AM
Advise needed Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg Wine 0 29-12-2005 08:26 PM
first try. Advise needed A. Kesteloo Barbecue 4 09-08-2004 07:32 AM