Tyler Hopper

Default Ribs in a cooler (ice chest)

"Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
om...
> Anyone here like throwing thier ribs into a cooler for an hour or
> so after smoking? Looking for a way to get mine a little more tender
> but I don't want them steamed at all either. Did a search here but
> didn't find conclusive evidence for either way (although did see less
> people saying they don't)
>
> Jesse

Folks here will often foil just about what ever they cook, wrap in towels and
put in a cooler for a while.

I don't believe that qualifies as steamed.

Tyler Hopper

"Jesse Skeens" > wrote in message
om...
> Anyone here like throwing thier ribs into a cooler for an hour or
> so after smoking? Looking for a way to get mine a little more tender
> but I don't want them steamed at all either. Did a search here but
> didn't find conclusive evidence for either way (although did see less
> people saying they don't)
>
> Jesse

Folks here will often foil just about what ever they cook, wrap in towels and
put in a cooler for a while.

I don't believe that qualifies as steamed.

Reg

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> If you want them more tender, try cooking longer at a lower temp.

I'd second that.

Storing cooked meat in an insulated cooler is a great technique, I use
it all the time. It's makes life easier, especially when cooking for
large groups.

It does change the texture of the meat somewhat though. It will soften
the bark and add a slight steaming effect to the meat. That may or
may not matter depending on the meat and your tastes.

I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement
though, any usually it's not. If I can, I prefer to pull it off
the heat, tent and rest it for a few minutes, then serve. There's
no actual requirement to stick it in a cooler.

Duwop

Reg wrote:
> I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement
> though,

Exactly! Man someone usually comes through and says what I've been thinking
butunable to voice well. Buncha smart doods here.

Duwop

Reg wrote:
> I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement
> though,

Exactly! Man someone usually comes through and says what I've been thinking
butunable to voice well. Buncha smart doods here.

Reg

Duwop wrote:

> Buncha smart doods here.

That's a fact. I keep a close eye on this group. A lot of good
information passes through these hallowed gates.

Reg

Duwop wrote:

> Buncha smart doods here.

That's a fact. I keep a close eye on this group. A lot of good
information passes through these hallowed gates.

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:
> Reg wrote:
>
>>I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement
>>though,

> Exactly! Man someone usually comes through and says what I've been thinking
> butunable to voice well. Buncha smart doods here.

Why, thank you!

;-)

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:
> Reg wrote:
>
>>I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement
>>though,

> Exactly! Man someone usually comes through and says what I've been thinking
> butunable to voice well. Buncha smart doods here.

Why, thank you!

;-)

Jesse Skeens

Reg > wrote in message m>...
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> I think that some people have come to see the step as a requirement

> though, any usually it's not. If I can, I prefer to pull it off
> the heat, tent and rest it for a few minutes, then serve. There's
> no actual requirement to stick it in a cooler.

I see what you mean, part of why I was asking. Everyime I read about
foil it seems like its looked on as a "cheat". But I thought maybe
the cooler method was different than actually cooking with the foil
on. I assume it imparts some of the same tenderizing/steaming effects
but less so. Anyways if its not necessary then I'll focus my efforts
elsewhere (temp and time)

Jesse

Do you have a chest freezer? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 1 16-10-2012 07:20 PM
wine cooler or bevarage cooler claudia Cooking Equipment 5 13-08-2008 02:55 AM
Smelly Chest Mal from Oz Tea 6 25-03-2007 03:06 AM
source for chest freezer cooler parts woodwerks Winemaking 1 07-06-2005 08:38 PM
Ribs and towels/cooler Jesse Skeens Barbecue 0 22-08-2004 11:30 PM