frohe

Default Butt

Yep, cooked one up today. Got the WSM goin good and holdin @
275-280°F. Stuck the butt in there with a simple rub of S&P and
garlic powder. Cooked almost 7 hours without a peek then wham! the
therm went off at 200°F. Let her set for 30 minutes then let the
forks tear that puppy into a gazillion pieces. Did I take a pic?
Heck no; too hungry to get at it. Pulled pork sammiches, cajun
coleslaw, corn on da cob, cold beer and nanner puddin. Can we have
the 4th again tomorrow? <g>
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Paul

In article >,
"frohe" > wrote:

> Yep, cooked one up today. Got the WSM goin good and holdin @
> 275-280°F. Stuck the butt in there with a simple rub of S&P and
> garlic powder. Cooked almost 7 hours without a peek then wham! the
> therm went off at 200°F. Let her set for 30 minutes then let the
> forks tear that puppy into a gazillion pieces. Did I take a pic?
> Heck no; too hungry to get at it. Pulled pork sammiches, cajun
> coleslaw, corn on da cob, cold beer and nanner puddin. Can we have
> the 4th again tomorrow? <g>

We did a butt last weekend on our Weber Genesis and it was very good,
easily as good as any pulled pork we've had at a restaurant.

Today was our first shot at ribs. Three slabs from Costco, price ended
up being about $7 a slab.

Used a general purpose rub, then 4.5 hours at 230 to 250 degrees. The
ribs were very good, tender and flavorful.

Maybe next weekend we'll try a brisket.
Jim

>Yep, cooked one up today. Got the WSM goin good and holdin @
>275-280°F. Stuck the butt in there with a simple rub of S&P and
>garlic powder. Cooked almost 7 hours without a peek then wham! the
>therm went off at 200°F. Let her set for 30 minutes then let the
>forks tear that puppy into a gazillion pieces. Did I take a pic?
>Heck no; too hungry to get at it. Pulled pork sammiches, cajun
>coleslaw, corn on da cob, cold beer and nanner puddin. Can we have
>the 4th again tomorrow? <g>
>--
>-frohe
>Life is too short to be in a hurry

Oooh yeah!
I've got a couple of 8# ' ers on my WSM right now. No pan, a good bed of lump
and some hickory chunks. They're runnin' about 180F internal now. S&P, garlic,
and some ground chipotle for the rub.
I'll be firing up the kettle shortly to grill up some corn. The slaw is made,
lotsa cold beer, no nanner puddin, though. ( What was I thinking ? )
Now I gotta go grill some corn, and try to keep the beloved mutts calm once the
fireworks begin.
Happy Fourth.
Jim

M&M

On 4-Jul-2004, "frohe" > wrote:

> Yep, cooked one up today. Got the WSM goin good and holdin @
> 275-280°F. Stuck the butt in there with a simple rub of S&P and
> garlic powder. Cooked almost 7 hours without a peek then wham! the
> therm went off at 200°F. Let her set for 30 minutes then let the
> forks tear that puppy into a gazillion pieces. Did I take a pic?
> Heck no; too hungry to get at it. Pulled pork sammiches, cajun
> coleslaw, corn on da cob, cold beer and nanner puddin. Can we have
> the 4th again tomorrow? <g>
> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

My mouth is watering. I can see a vivid picture of it in my mind. But
you can't call it BBQ 'cause you cooked it over 225° . And I've got
all this pulled brisket in my freezer that I can't eat, because after all
who in the world would want to pull brisket? (giggle) The only rule in
the Bricker household is that there ain't no rules. Well, we don't allow
anybody to defacate on the floor. I guess that's a rule.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
frohe

M&M wrote:
> But you can't call it BBQ 'cause you cooked it over 225°.

I can too; just watch me - BBQ BBQ BBQ BBQ BBQ <g>
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Boston Butt mom peagram General Cooking 17 08-11-2008 05:06 PM
First butt Bill Riel Barbecue 17 08-02-2008 06:13 AM
Wet butt The Truthful Assh0le General Cooking 23 16-08-2007 03:20 AM
first butt going at 4am Barbecue 1 04-07-2005 04:47 AM
BIG BUTT Gama Kido General Cooking 1 16-02-2005 02:57 AM